Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Worst defender ever

T

Tettenhall Wolf

As ever, defence is the hot topic for us poor wolves fans.

I think Mr Ward has been our best so far this season and I didn't think that would happen.

Stears ain't a full back, George ain't a footballer, Jody's getting on, Berra should take up wrestling... And old RJ really ain't performed up to the billing.

That got me thinking. Worst defender you've seen in a wolves shirt.

Kevin Ashley was pretty crap, especially as we paid £0.5 mil, but I really could never see how Eric Young ever got a game.

Over to you....

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Darren peacock

He even tried to sue the club for ending his career but judging on this couple of performances his career was over before he arrived

ginboomerang

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Paul Stancliffe, executor of the most fabulous o.g. I ever witnessed.

P

PeteWolf

but I really could never see how Eric Young ever got a game.
Young came good after a shaky start.

Oleg Luzhny has to be up there.

From man of the match in the FA Cup final to making Lee Naylor look like a vintage Dennis Irwin...

M

Mugwump

Peter Zelem was pretty bad, i`m sure i can remember him playing at least some part of a game in central defence with another dodgy player, Roger Eli. Those were the days :D

P

Penk Wolf

My 5 are:

George Elokobi
Roger Johnson
Christophe Berra
Richard Stearman
Oleg Luzhny.

P

Phys Ed Wolf

Stancliff and Coleman get my vote. I thought Young did okay overall. Certainly not the worst we had. Although not necessarily bad players he was part of a long line of centre backs that were definitely in the 'last legs' section of their career. After we'd had such success with Ally Robertson we seemed to try and recreate it with others. Hindmarch, Stancliffe, Madden, Shirtliffe, Young, even Curle to a degree. But none of them seemed to have the same effect as Ally. Steve Sedgeley wasn't the best for us either.

Wolf in Cradley

Groupie
Reaction score
Without a shadow of doubt in my mind my vote goes to Darren Simkin. Would not even get in a pub side!!!!!

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
craig fleming,villazan, moyoukolo, and that CH we paid £1m for from Naarwich who's name escapes me!

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Berra. And no im not joking.

I simply cannot comprehend how the hell this guy has managed to carve out a career for himself in professional football, let alone in the PL.

He runs like an old man, cant tackle, cant pass, is easily beaten in the air, and clings on to his opponent for dear life as when it comes to footballing ability he is up there with George Weahs cousin.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I simply cannot comprehend how the hell this guy has managed to carve out a career for himself in professional football, let alone in the PL.

He runs like an old man, cant tackle, cant pass, is easily beaten in the air, and clings on to his opponent for dear life as when it comes to footballing ability he is up there with George Weahs cousin.

Bit harsh there.

E

Essex Wolf

Many years back Nicky Clarke, recently Neil Collins, current day Elokobi.

But reading Tettenhalls original post I find it embarrassing to think that right now the clubs best defender is Ward, a player who has been converted to that position. Not one of the natural defenders is really worthy of the Wolves shirt right now.

M

Mancwolf

Best defender we've had since Lescott. Two bad one's that stand out for me are Darren Ward and Roger Johnson.

M

Mancwolf

Actually, I've had a re-think. I think Craddock's been our most consistent defender since Lescott. But Berra's not far behind

B

Bostin

2.166810.jpg

I remember the E&S giving away Eric Young headbands one game :D

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember the Paul Stancliffe O.G. too (home to Barnsley, a lame cross trickled in, he had no-one around him, and the ball somehow tapped his leg and over the line it went).

Rob Hindmarch? (RIP) I remember seeing him make his debut in a friendly away to Shrewbsury and a lot of us were thinking "He's slow... perhaps he's not match fit?" Unfortunately he was.

itsmee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
BUT do you think the knocking of present day team is slightly unfair, as if they were playing at the same lower league level as many of the others mentioned they would possibly be excelling themselves?
Dont forget they were "chosen" by MM to play in a top championship side/ premiership side

T

Tomasz

Luzhny, by a mile. Away at blues in the first prem' season, it was laughable how bad he was!

P

Penk Wolf

I firmly believe you have a hidden agenda or you don't understand what is in front of you or you're too $$$$ed to see the game or you need glasses.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apologies if anyone has already said.....
Isaac Okoronkwo

P

paddy

Young came good after a shaky start.

Oleg Luzhny has to be up there.

From man of the match in the FA Cup final to making Lee Naylor look like a vintage Dennis Irwin...

such questions are relative

on the basis of reputation and ability, OL was by far head and shoulders the worst defender i have seen at wolves in c40 yrs

either injured or just could not be ardes for DJ, he moved quicker stood still than running

there have been some wowful footballers , particularly on the way down to the 4th, some complete no bodies who looked more like trades men who had ben dragged on the the pitch to make up a team

on the way back up, players came, did their best and we improved - wish could say the same now, where we appear blighted by good palyers arriving and being coached :confused: down to mediocrity

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bostin

Apologies if anyone has already said.....
Isaac Okoronkwo

He was class!

He put's his right leg in,
His right leg out,
In, out, in, out, he shakes it all about
You do the Okoronkwo and you turn around,
That's what it's all about!

WOOOOAH Issac Okowonkwo!!!

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He must've been bad ... I don't even remember him.

:eek:

Skinned by lee Hughes and dragged him down in the box which resulted in him scoring his only goal against us for the $$$$.

Ended up injuring his neck and blamed our medical staff for not spotting the serious injury soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom