Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves vs Forest - VAR Protest

Chuck Murray

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So ... how did the big VAR protest go yesterday? Not seeing any media/press coverage to date ...

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Think we need a wider campaign against VAR across all of football, the idea that we've been harshly treated by a failure of VAR to overturn bad decisions by onfield refs, doesn't really go anywhere long-term. So the banners about giving the game back to the fans were the right message for me. Has to be a campaign in the grounds for me as armchair fans have no concept of how much it's destroyed the experience, hence why we get polls telling us fan opinion is fairly divided. Forget our individual club issues though, aggrieved as we may be it's not going to achieve anything.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a jot anywhere in any of the media, nothing on the TV coverage. It was a big fail.

Xmas Eve v Chelsea, whistles. On the 7th minute with a 10 second countdown (coordinated by the digi clock on the SB and screens) blow the **** out of the whistles for 10-15 seconds, then put them away for good. Try to ignore that.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a jot anywhere in any of the media, nothing on the TV coverage. It was a big fail.

Xmas Eve v Chelsea, whistles. On the 7th minute with a 10 second countdown (coordinated by the digi clock on the SB and screens) blow the **** out of the whistles for 10-15 seconds, then put them away for good. Try to ignore that.
Don’t do the whistles for the love of god!!!!!

That will cause the club significant issues and likely fines etc…..

It will solve and do nothing against the PGMOL, apart from hurt us so it is a ridiculous and frankly brain dead idea.

That one is a self imposed shotgun shot to
The face!!!!!!!

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Might be controversial but rather than using the energy for VAR protests maybe use the time and effort to get some new chants/songs created and on the go? Honestly think this is a big part of the problem with the atmosphere at times...

Since Nuno had a dream we haven't really had a real good new one used tbh..

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Whistles would be the last thing to use.

Ok, it’s one thing to say blow on the 7th minute for 10-15 seconds and then put them away for good. How would the officials know that would happen and it wouldn’t be done again during the match?

Match would probably be abandoned and we get a massive fine.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Trouble is, every time they try to improve it, they make it worse. No VAR is better than the crap we’ve got at the moment.
This. There are two fundamental issues for me.

VAR has been tweaked over and over and again and it doesn't seem to get better. From day one this issue was always going to be that football has lots of subjective decisions that are no more likely to be right with the benefit of 10 replays than on first viewing.

Even more fundamentally the whole game relies on spontaneous joy (and misery!) and even if some sort of VAR heaven existed where everyone agreed after that the decisions were correct, it would still be a disaster. It's implementation is decided by people who don't understand the fan experience.

Bin all the stuff about how we've been shafted, just have to suck that up I'm afraid.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with VAR , But there's a lot wrong with how it's used & administered
I don’t really agree with this.
Even if it worked perfectly and we all always felt the right decision was arrived at; the pausing of the game and the loss of spontaneity would still be a major issue for me. Maybe overall it would be worth it, but combined with so many decisions still feeling wrong it definitely isn’t worth it.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with VAR , But there's a lot wrong with how it's used & administered
I used to think this, but now I disagree, I think VaR is fundamentally wrong for football. So many decisions are based on opinions. For Var to work footballs gonna have to effectively become a non-contact sport.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
VAR needs to go completely but imv unless there is a co-ordinated Prem wide supporters protest individual efforts may get some small local coverage but will be generally ignored. Fans are the life-blood of football and if they are discouraged from attending, authorities surely have to listen? Surely the Prem clubs can unite and say they don't want VAR in their league anymore?

Dorbelflunk

Reaction score
Man United fans have the luxury of protesting against the Glazers with their green and yellow scarves and banners every game, because they'll never be in danger of relegation and have the luxury of being distracted by something else.

Wolves fans sit in a nervous predicament of knowing two or three games going the wrong way and we're right back in the relegation conversation. Been the case for a while. It's hard to feel motivated when you know every point counts (I know that's a contradiction when VAR decisions have taken points away, but it has no bearing on the game playing out in front of us).

Also every time we get angry about VAR and plan to protest, the ref has a decent game or VAR has no bearing on the match, so some of the fervour dies down.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even Gary Lineker admitted on MOTD last night that he regrets being an advocate of VAR and that it is now ruining the game.
What VAR has shown me is the more power you hand over to referees, generally speaking the worse it makes the game. The only exceptions being instantaneous technology like Hawkeye. At a time when anti-VAR sentiment has never been more vociferous, they are not only not scaling it back, they are doubling down and expanding it! Just a matter of time before they're analysing throw-ins and it really is #gamesgone.

With power boner raging, they are introducing sin bins next, a decent idea on paper whose praxis will no doubt be butchered like with VAR. Without trying to get too political, the "It's not VAR, it's the idiots implementing it", argument is not dissimilar to "real Communism has never been tried." Perhaps a VAR that works is a pipe dream because of the people implementing it...

thetwistedsock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I tried to put a couple of photos of the North Bank banners here this morning but the file size is too large. I tried taking screenshots of the photos and they were still too large.

OldGoldPack

Reaction score

“not a jot…” and “a big fail” is a tad harsh, imo

we appreciate that things could’ve gone better and the display could’ve been bigger and stronger, but, we tried - and more importantly, it got people talking and made an impact.

we‘re open to criticism, absolutely, but this was an achievement based on the fact it’s two lads and a handful of volunteers.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't follow European Leagues and I wonder if there is the same fan animosity towards VAR overseas? Can individual Leagues get rid of VAR or does it have to be done on a European level? If we can go it alone I don't see why the Clubs don't all show a united hand? They must know us fans don't want it.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score

we appreciate that things could’ve gone better and the display could’ve been bigger and stronger, but, we tried - and more importantly, it got people talking and made an impact.

we‘re open to criticism, absolutely, but this was an achievement based on the fact it’s two lads and a handful of volunteers.

I'd absolutely say ignore the negativity, it's so easy to criticise people who actually do something, while sitting doing nothing.

However the slightly muddled message is probably summed up in those links.

Are we protesting about the inconsistency in VAR?
Are we at one with Everton in complaining that the PL is corrupt?
Or do we just want rid of VAR altogether?

If we want to lead a league wide protest against VAR then we need to be clear what we're actually saying. It's the third one for me btw!

OldGoldPack

Reaction score
I'd absolutely say ignore the negativity, it's so easy to criticise people who actually do something, while sitting doing nothing.

However the slightly muddled message is probably summed up in those links.

Are we protesting about the inconsistency in VAR?
Are we at one with Everton in complaining that the PL is corrupt?
Or do we just want rid of VAR altogether?

If we want to lead a league wide protest against VAR then we need to be clear what we're actually saying. It's the third one for me btw!

Aha, we do tend to ignore any negativity but felt this one needed addressing!

completely agree however on your comments about the message - and concur that it needs removing completely!

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has this had any media attention? I’ve not seen it mentioned anywhere or any photos of the crowd that make it look effective.

Barnet Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IMO every sketchy VAR decision given against us would have been given against us without VAR. Removing VAR will only remove the focus on poor/strange/corrupt (which ever you already believe) refereeing .

We should be protesting PGMOL for ****ing up our game and not a piece of current software that gets updated routinely

loppers86

Reaction score
if VAR kills the spontaneity of a goal, then it has sucked the soul out of the sport and destroyed, turning it into some kind of ‘light entertainment show’.

The only role i can see for it is a sort of limited number of captains appeals as we see in cricket.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What VAR has shown me is the more power you hand over to referees, generally speaking the worse it makes the game. The only exceptions being instantaneous technology like Hawkeye. At a time when anti-VAR sentiment has never been more vociferous, they are not only not scaling it back, they are doubling down and expanding it! Just a matter of time before they're analysing throw-ins and it really is #gamesgone.

With power boner raging, they are introducing sin bins next, a decent idea on paper whose praxis will no doubt be butchered like with VAR. Without trying to get too political, the "It's not VAR, it's the idiots implementing it", argument is not dissimilar to "real Communism has never been tried." Perhaps a VAR that works is a pipe dream because of the people implementing it...
Power boners are great though

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unrelated to us but a two footed aerial challenge and stamp on Fodens leg - could have snapped it in 2 if it was planted - no review, no red. Incompetence knows no bounds. Killing football its farcical.
What about Romero’s challenge on Callum Wilson in the later Spurs v Newcastle game?

Awful challenge. Dived into the tackle, catching Wilson’s right ankle with one foot and hitting his left ankle with his other foot!

Romero (good player, but awful disciplinary record) yellow carded and reviewed by VAR. Definite red card imo.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't follow European Leagues and I wonder if there is the same fan animosity towards VAR overseas? Can individual Leagues get rid of VAR or does it have to be done on a European level? If we can go it alone I don't see why the Clubs don't all show a united hand? They must know us fans don't want it.
Individual leagues can indeed get rid of it. The trouble is your last sentence. Fans at the match do not matter at all now, not a single jot.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Individual leagues can indeed get rid of it. The trouble is your last sentence. Fans at the match do not matter at all now, not a single jot.
Thanks for that. Clubs MUST know fans don't want it , surely? SYHO above says the VAR message is 'muddled'. I absolutely don't believe that, esp as the season goes on and week after week we get more controversy. There seems to be more focus on VAR than the actual game now which is depressing. I actually think the VAR issue is in the hands of the fans tbh but it needs to be a Prem-wide fan protest, not just one club now and then. How that protest would work and how it would get organised is the issue.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Fair play to you and all that helped either financially or physically. I must admit however that I didn’t see or notice anything as I watched the game.
Happy for you that you say it has made an impact. Not sure how but at least you tried something rather than just complain.
Everything has to start somewhere……keep at it. :)

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
I was at the game and didn’t notice anything
Where were you? Lots of small cards in the South Bank, one banner over the front of the BW, 4 or 5 big banners in the NB. Could you not see any of them?

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Might be controversial but rather than using the energy for VAR protests maybe use the time and effort to get some new chants/songs created and on the go? Honestly think this is a big part of the problem with the atmosphere at times...

Since Nuno had a dream we haven't really had a real good new one used tbh..
Never understood why we stopped singing it tbh , it was a time to be celebrated and clubs like man United and Liverpool still sing songs about past hero’s , we don’t sing about bully either really , don’t buy into its not supporting the current crop because noise is noise regardless of what it is being sung …

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sin bins is ridiculous too , can you imagine us playing one of the big clubs and us getting a sin bin for a cynical foul and then they do one and they interpret it as not a dangerous enough attack or something , it’ll still be down to interpretation …

Back
Top Bottom