Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves V Liverpool verdict thread

dnf14

Reaction score
Fabulous result.

Wolves under Lage - 10 points from 15 games.
Wolves under Lopetegui - 10 points from 6 games.

He’s made a huge difference.
Lage - 6 Points in 8 games. 3 GF 9 GA
Davis - 4 points in 7 games. 5 GF 15GA
Lopetegui - 10 points in 6 games. 7GF 6GA

"Huge difference" still manages to feel like an understatement.

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score
Dawson shores up the defence, and is a plausible candidate as our top scorer this season as well!
Lemina,uber-fab as well through out, boy have we missed such physical predence in our midfufld since ghe Guv?
And an extra thumbs up to Moutinho for completely changing the game when he came on, bresking up play on numerous occasions. His long curled ball for Adama to setup Neves for 3-0 killed the game. Last two seasons I've felt that this should be his role for us, coming on for the final 30 minutes when the opposing midfield is tiring and losing the 100% concentration. Now we have enough midfielders to utilize him this way.
And what has happened to Adama over the past week?! Intelligent football over his 50+ minutes, no running down cul de sacs, no ballooned crosses that ends up for a throw-in to the opposition.

Vtrpres

Groupie
Reaction score
What a result.
Let’s hope the
Next three results are he same.
Dare I say it just shows how bad the side had become pre JL.
Oh yes. Sa played a good game. Now he has got some rivalry come in.
Sad thing for me Jiminez near open goal at the death. Sorry Raul it’s not there is it.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dawson had his head on pretty much everything. For an old-school centre half he's good on the ball, his passing is accurate and drilled (other than that one occasion early in the second half), and Kilman looked far more assured with him next to him. Gave him a *******ing at one point for not clearing the ball more decisively.

Lemina had a fantastic game, Sarabia and Cunha were excellent in the first half, the former especially for nicking the ball away from Liverpool over and over. Moutinho coming on and having a hand in the third and helping close the game out shows how important that squad is. More of the same again please Wolves.

MOTM Joao Gomes

Last edited:

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Love the goals, but not bowing to their pressure in the early 2nd half was everything.
Yep, rode our luck a little at 2-0, Lopetegui makes a couple of important changes and then brilliant play from Moutinho, Traore and Neves seals the deal. All very comfortable after that, Raúl should have done better with his attempted chip though

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No one predicted that!
Great start when we made Liverpool look like a L1 side. Had to withstand some pressure towards HT and certainly at the start of the second, but defended like Trojans. Fantastic breakaway goal which then took all the wind out of Liverpool's sails. Bodes well for the future, but not getting carried away yet. However, ecstatic and bouncing as I type this.

Ratings;

Sa - 7- Pulled off a great save from Nunez and commanded his area better than of late. Distribution errors still persist.
Semedo - 7 - Given a difficult time by Gakpo, but stuck to his task well.
Dawson - 8 - One error apart, was faultless otherwise and took his goal like a striker.
Kilman - 7 - Looked more assured with Dawson alongside him.
RAN - 7 - Took care of Salah and got forwards on occasions.
Lemina - 8- My MotM. Got through tons of work and allowed Neves to get further forwards.
Neves - 8 - Worked his socks off. Controlled the midfield with Lemina.
Nunes - 6 - Not at his best. Gave the ball away too much imo.
Sarabia - 7 - Decent full debut and involved in the second goal.
Cunha - 7 - Another who left nothing out there. Surely his first Wolves' goal will come soon. Another assist?
Hwang - 7 - Involved in the OG and pressed well when Wolves were enjoying their best spell. Sad for him as he looks to have done his hammy.

Subs;

Traore - 8 - His best display for a while and a fine assist for Neves' goal.
Moutinho -7 - Helped quell Liverpool during their best spell and won the ball to free Adama for the killer goal.
Jimenez - 5- Ineffective and fluffed his lines on a couple of occasions in front of goal.
Podence - N/A - Didn't really impact.
Jonny - N/A - No time to do anything.

Loppy got his starting 11 and subs spot on. Hopefully Hwang and especially Lemina won't have done themselves too much damage. Confidence will have taken a huge boost with important games (they all are), coming up.

Dorbelflunk

Reaction score
Wonderful result, especially after the early kickoff put us under it.

I can't think of a more satisfying home performance (or louder crowd) for at least two years; maybe before the pandemic.

Lemina and Dawson are clever signings and were outstanding today.

It wasnt perfect - I thought Nunes went missing and I could have done without the stress at the start off the second half - but that third goal was just *chef's kiss*

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haha. He had great insight there… apparently if they weren’t 2-0 down then it’s a different game.
So it is a line the old Michael Owen school of describing football…..

Reactions: Ned

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a performance!

Lemina was everywhere, Dawson solid (apart from one error!). Lopetegui spot on with his tactics.

Special mention for the scutty bin dippers who kicked off at 3-0 and broke all the seats. **** off back to your ****hole council estate you scumbags

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did I just hear Merson claim Liverpool were dominating and our 3rd goal was a bit lucky?!?!
Maybe he meant our third was against the run of play, which it was - after doing very little in the first half they did come out and try and impose themselves more in the second which I thought we coped with superbly, and after the third they couldn't get near us. Nothing lucky about the goal though.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't get the Tiger/ Klopp reference.
Is it because he is a pussy?

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was great being able to relax and enjoy that from about 85 minutes onwards. A strange feeling.
Great performances all round the team. Particularly happy how we stood up to their charge after half time. The back 5 were all excellent. For all their huffing and puffing Jose only had to make 2 saves of note as well as the shot from Keita that was blocked on the line. Our third goal was a thing of beauty.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a performance!

Lemina was everywhere, Dawson solid (apart from one error!). Lopetegui spot on with his tactics.

Special mention for the scutty bin dippers who kicked off at 3-0 and broke all the seats. **** off back to your ****hole council estate you scumbags

Nothing wrong with council estates, agree with the rest of your post.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was nervous for the first 20mins of the second half but as soon as JLo made changes the game settled down and we were the better side again.

Great point! It's the difference a top manager makes. The subs changed the match that at that point, we were getting overwhelmed by Liverpool and it looked like a goal was inevitable.

In some ways, our players still have the same flaws they always had, but what Lopetegui & his staff have done is get everything else right. His use of subs just shows the contrast with an inadequate manager, like Bruno. Even puts Nuno to shame! He's got the players fighting for every ball in a way we haven't seen since pre-Crovid. The off ball movement was noticably excellent today - the best we've seen from our forward line for years, until Hwangs unfortunate injury, anyway. Oh, and the way he's getting the team switching formations during the match. Something we never really mastered even during the best times. There's not enough good things that can be said about JL!

Standout player was Lemina. All over the pitch, bossed Liverpool. With Dawson and Neves not far behind. Decent performance from Semedo, too. Hes' still not that assured, but he's putting in double the effort he used to and that will do.

The final 20 minutes was made for Adama and Moutinho. Shows that the latter still has a role to play to see games out, thought his cameo was excellent. Adama had been erratic and not supporting us tactically as he came on earlier than expected. But when Liverpool were commited forward towards the end, came into his own as he often does.

Thought Cunha and Serabia looked really classy, up front better than we've seen for years too, expect a goal or two from them soon - and this is just the beginning!

So there you have it -the answer to the question "When did we last win a match convincingly, actually playing well and inarguably the better team?" It was today. :D

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe he meant our third was against the run of play, which it was - after doing very little in the first half they did come out and try and impose themselves more in the second which I thought we coped with superbly, and after the third they couldn't get near us. Nothing lucky about the goal though.
Then he needs to say that.

It wasn’t lucky though, we broke at pace and two great passes set up the chance Ruben to break into the box and finish in style.

Was a textbook and great example of a counter attacking goal.

He always has to slag us off or put us down….. bloke is a clown

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang looked to have done his hamstring unfortunately.

Only downside was raul. Decision making was all over the place and if I'm honest he's not deserving to be anywhere near the team at present. That injury ruined him.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fantastic performance.
Unreal Atmosphere.

They'll be a few ups and downs along the way but the form since Christmas shows we've got it in us.

Well done lads.

Wolf of Wall Heath

Reaction score
Just saying the same thing in the car on the way back. Wolves pre lop would wilt. So proud of that performance yet, at the same time, was bitter sweet watching Raul squander that chance. He won’t ever be old Raul will he. ☹️
Love the goals, but not bowing to their pressure in the early 2nd half was everything.
p

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang looked worryingly like a hamstring
Brilliant result. I just hope the injuries to Lemina and Hwang aren't too severe.

Hopefully Lemina in particular is ok as I thought I saw him walking around at the end and he was outstanding.

Gedwolf

Reaction score
What an absolutely fabulous result. Have not watched it yet, although I caught the Dawson goal. Looking forward to watching the extended highlights. Such a confidence booster for all concerned. Only downside of today is the Everton result.
Having watched both teams today, still believe Everton will finish at leas 8 points behind us

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Decent performance in patches, livarpool were just woeful. Salah looks like he's already out the door.

We need to be more clinical.

Lemina was everywhere, what an engine, superb motm performance from him.

This was a bonus result so let's not forget that.

Back
Top Bottom