Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves v Brentford verdict

Vtrpres

Groupie
Reaction score
Well we should now be contemplating the next manager/ coach call them what you like. I fear that Bruno will be the one to fall on his sword. There is no way he will be allowed to see 2022 at Molineux.
It has to be faced Raul is finished. I hate saying that but has anyone seen any evidence otherwise?
Pre match I thought we could play poorly in this fixture and take a point in effect dropping two.
With what I have seen today we would struggle in the Championship.
Mark my words owners from from where ours come from demand success. That is their creed and they will drop Wolves like a hot brick without it.
There’s an old Black Country saying that says “ you have to learn to pee with the **** you’ve got.”
There is no money for new players so where do we go from here?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Felt like one of those games under Nuno against supposedly "lesser" opposition where the players just didn't seem *****. At least it gives Bruno an excuse to get Saiss and Coady out of the team. Hwang must surely be a starter next time out.
Sa

Semedo Boly Mosquera Ait-Nouri

Dendoncker Neves Cundle

Traore Hwang Podence

Go for that vs Spurs

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well Brentford weren't going to sell the top scorer in the country whilst they were top of the league. Use your head for one, or you can use that condescending smiley face

So Norwich aren't going to sell Buendia, Villa aren't going to sell Grealish. Plenty of top players and top scorers have been sold when a bigger club comes in and stumps up the cash. We sold Jota, remember? And if he wasn't injured, Raul would be at a bigger club by now. The big fish eat the smaller fish.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just when I was starting to feel really positive about things...

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looked ok without really being threatening until the penalty... After that....

I hated their time wasting crap but they gave us a tactical lesson which l fear others will copy and out-footballed us which l hate.

Last season l never doubted that we'd be safe. This year with that squad and those tactics....

We have scored 1 goal in 5 PL games. Raul today did a fine Willian Jose impression.

You'd be amazed just how many in the NBU were talking about relegation at the end.

As for the second half subs.... just throw more and more forwards on, felt like a ****ing U13 game....

We are in real trouble l'm afraid.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

So Norwich aren't going to sell Buendia, Villa aren't going to sell Grealish. Plenty of top players and top scorers have been sold when a bigger club comes in and stumps up the cash. We sold Jota, remember? And if he wasn't injured, Raul would be at a bigger club by now. The big fish eat the smaller fish.
Not in the winter window, Grealish went after Villa had spent the money from him in the summer and Norwich are a pointless selling club

Cookyssweetleftfoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this is an issue. Adama is better on the right, but so is Trincao. We are trying to shoehorn both into the side and its not working.
While he may be more content in his comfort zone, for me Traore is much more dangerous when he isn’t stuck out wide on the right like he was second half.
Cutting inside and being more direct make him so much more of a threat for me, but either way mixing it up by swapping sides during a half surely has to be looked at when we are creating next to nothing?

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still don't see the hype with Marcel at all. Would play RAN over him all day of the week.

Coady got abused. Saiss switches off with crosses and can't mark.

Adama very flat footed today off the ball.

Trincao was very poor on the left.

Raul lookes better deeper

Hawang and Podence added so much movement wise.

Why keep crossing the ball when we have nobody to add it outside of Raul and they have three 6ft5 CBs....

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Still don't see the hype with Marcel at all. Would play RAN over him all day of the week.

Coady got abused. Saiss switches off with crosses and can't mark.

Adama very flat footed today off the ball.

Trincao was very poor on the left.

Raul lookes better deeper

Hawang and Podence added so much movement wise.

Why keep crossing the ball when we have nobody to add it outside of Raul and they have three 6ft5 CBs....
We should have scored from 2 crosses, Raul was dire and on his heels and we can't get a midfielder into the box as one is a deep lying ball retainer and the other can't move. Say what you want but Dendoncker would have gotten into the box in 2nd half

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While he may be more content in his comfort zone, for me Traore is much more dangerous when he isn’t stuck out wide on the right like he was second half.
Cutting inside and being more direct make him so much more of a threat for me, but either way mixing it up by swapping sides during a half surely has to be looked at when we are creating next to nothing?

We simply cant afford Adama and Trincao to not contribute goals. They look great and threatening at times, but its all about the output ultimately. They need goals in their game.

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very few players deserve credit. What the **** Marcal was doing who knows. Only thing the referee got right.

Shocking performance topped off by the worst officiating I've seen for a long time. And that takes some doing.

Embarrassing.

Last edited:

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Drop traore? Are people crazy? He was good today. Erratic crossing but within that he also did ones we should have scored from and he came close himself. He did more than our other ten players combined. He, podence and huang have to start matches.

I also think Podence looks like the tricky player we signed, not the shadow of a footballer we saw much of last season.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well we should now be contemplating the next manager/ coach call them what you like. I fear that Bruno will be the one to fall on his sword. There is no way he will be allowed to see 2022 at Molineux.
It has to be faced Raul is finished. I hate saying that but has anyone seen any evidence otherwise?
Pre match I thought we could play poorly in this fixture and take a point in effect dropping two.
With what I have seen today we would struggle in the Championship.
Mark my words owners from from where ours come from demand success. That is their creed and they will drop Wolves like a hot brick without it.
There’s an old Black Country saying that says “ you have to learn to pee with the **** you’ve got.”
There is no money for new players so where do we go from here?

I think we could, crazy as it may sound. We have a very unbalanced team and it's been like that for ages. Traore alone will unbalance any team he's in. But it's not just him. We have too many players who, for all their skills, have little end product. Too lightweight, Podence, Trincao, Fabio etc would be blown aside in the Championship - as they are by many sides in this league too. We have too many luxury players.

If we were to get relegated, as individuals I think most of them would be snapped up by top clubs and would do very well indeed. It's the synergy that is not right, the balance, too many who deliver the same thing and struggle with the same thing. Not bringing out the best in each other.

And for the umpteenth time, WTF is going on with our set pieces? At both ends? Even inferior teams work out the way to survive is stay back, defend and snatch something from a set piece. Because you don't need to be Messi to work on set pieces. Ours have been dire since I can't rememeber when, second Premier League season perhaps. A main source of goals and for us, nothing.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should have scored from 2 crosses, Raul was dire and on his heels and we can't get a midfielder into the box as one is a deep lying ball retainer and the other can't move. Say what you want but Dendoncker would have gotten into the box in 2nd half

I can only think of the Raul header that we should've scored from. But if our only way of breaking them down in the final 3rd was crosses and you only against 10 men I expect to have created a lot more chances.

That's one of my biggest issues, we aren't a team set up to score of crosses but we limit our movement going forward to get a high number of crosses into the box.

Donk probably should've played, so should've Boly and Ran. Hwang and Podence potentially too.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I can only think of the Raul header that we should've scored from. But if our only way of breaking them down in the final 3rd was crosses and you only against 10 men I expect to have created a lot more chances.

That's one of my biggest issues, we aren't a team set up to score of crosses but we limit our movement going forward to get a high number of crosses into the box.

Donk probably should've played, so should've Boly and Ran. Hwang and Podence potentially too.
There was one back post that he stood up and Raul was just on the penalty spot instead of back post

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've no idea what Marcel was doing unless he was deliberately trying to give a penalty away. 2 corners in quick succession. A warning from the ref before the first was taken. The first corner could and probably should have been a penalty. The second one was even more of a penalty. I have to say Lage's decision to put Marcel on Toney at corners was also ridiculous. The ref was complete disgrace and completely ineffective at controlling their timewasting.tactics - even clear guidlelines on leaving the field were ignored and tolerated and just got worse and worse.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really thought Marcal was soo poor. Kept losing the ball, connected badæy, made poor decisions, and the foul of the penalty came after the ref had warned him directly. Soo poor…

Didn't work hard enough. Simple as. Raul was the worst offender. Can't play like that and keep your place I'm afraid.
There's a number of players who could not complain were they dropped next week. Remember in the first half when Raul could have crossed left footed or put his foot on the ball, but instead tried a rabona and fell flat on his backside? Sums it up for him so far. Saiss clobbers someone after 90 seconds and should have been booked, then his "marking" for 0-2 was amateur level stuff. Marcal acted like an oaf right under the watchful eye of the ref. Trincao came across as someone's young son who'd won a raffle. Traore could not cross the road.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Calamitous from start to finish, that's the only word that describes it. I literally cannot think of anything we did that was any good. Oh yes, Adama hit the post with a thunderbolt. But most of the time he hit the corner flag with his crosses. Wolves reminded me of the worst of Nuno -- sideways, backwards, sideways, backwards, hoof ... and lose the ball the moment we try going forward, and some of the players looked too scared to even try that. No movement, no nothing. Lightweight on the ball, no pressing. What the **** happened, Bruno? Much more of this and you could be out of a job sooner than you think. Brentford could easily have had four or five, but missed a few absolute gifts, especially a few seconds after the 2nd half started. Keystone Cops defending.

Brentford won fair and square, but were a disgrace to the game for their continual fakery and time wasting. I had always liked them until today, but after that shenanigans I sincerely hope they go down. Trouble is, we may well go with them if there are any more performances like today.

To top it all, the ref was an officious little line-drawing twerp who bought all the diving and time wasting. He was a paradigm example of the low level that the PL referees as a whole have sunk to.

A thoroughly depressing afternoon.

Last edited:

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've no idea what Marcel was doing unless he was deliberately trying to give a penalty away. 2 corners in quick succession. A warning from the ref before the first was taken. The first corner could and probably should have been a penalty. The second one was even more of a penalty. I have to say Lage's decision to put Marcel on Toney at corners was also ridiculous. The ref was complete disgrace and completely ineffective at controlling their timewasting.tactics - even clear guidlelines on leaving the field were ignored and tolerated and just got worse and worse.
Agreed.

It was the most stonewall penalty I've seen for a long while (since Trincao against Man Utd?)

What was he thinking?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Drop traore? Are people crazy? He was good today. Erratic crossing but within that he also did ones we should have scored from and he came close himself. He did more than our other ten players combined. He, podence and huang have to start matches.

I also think Podence looks like the tricky player we signed, not the shadow of a footballer we saw much of last season.

There are teams without Traore who manage to score far more goals than us. If we are dependent on Traore, then that is a real problem. Thing is, I don't see much sign that we have any idea on what we are doing going forward. It's still all a bit "give it to Traore and..". And what? We have nobody , it seems, who can get a second of space and rifle in a shot from 20 yards. So they all have to make one more pass..one more pass...one more trick..a back heel... then a flick...until it goes wrong or they stop and pass it back to Coady as the defenders have been in position for the last 5 minutes totally nonplussed by anythign we are doing.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Started well, then another stupid mistake cost us. Never looked like scoring after that.

Not sure why we start with 5 at the back against a promoted team. Even stranger still was Bruno’s decision to go to 4 at the back while chasing the game. It totally removed any width that we had.

When you go up against 10 men you have to stretch the game. Sticking more strikers on isn’t the answer. Overload the wide areas like they did. Get the player on the opposite flank on the end of the cross too…. We never do this!

Was absolutely fuming with their time wasting. Ref needed to grow a set of balls. ****.

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

All 6 goals we’ve scored this season, Traore hasn’t been on the pitch. Maybe there’s an argument for it in the short term?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

There are teams without Traore who manage to score far more goals than us. If we are dependent on Traore, then that is a real problem. Thing is, I don't see much sign that we have any idea on what we are doing going forward. It's still all a bit "give it to Traore and..". And what? We have nobody , it seems, who can get a second of space and rifle in a shot from 20 yards. So they all have to make one more pass..one more pass...one more trick..a back heel... then a flick...until it goes wrong or they stop and pass it back to Coady as the defenders have been in position for the last 5 minutes totally nonplussed by anythign we are doing.
That's because our centre mids don't create anything, they get the ball across the field at a glacial pace sideways. Desperate for an athletic ball progresser next to Neves. Anguissa would have been ideal.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's just such a brain-dead thing to do. It's a foul. It's not even close to not being a foul. And he made sure he did it right in front of the referee. Absolutely idiotic and cost us the game.
He did it constantly against Watford too. Absolute idiot.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Raul shoul have played Trincao in to his right along the deck first half but went left instead - probably our clearest chance I thought. Adama's lob cross across the face of the goal 2nd half just needed a touch but nobody there. Another Adama cross to the back post 2nd half was just too long for two of our players but question is why were they together instead of 4 or 5 yards apart.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All 6 goals we’ve scored this season, Traore hasn’t been on the pitch. Maybe there’s an argument for it in the short term?
Four of those were against the reserves of the worst team in the championship and one was an own goal.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He did it constantly against Watford too. Absolute idiot.
Seen enough of Marcal to know he is useful against the Top 6 when we are looking for a draw, but against teams we should be getting at he should be on the bench.

His penalty today lost us the game and I dont want to see him on the field anytime soon. Hopefully RAN impresses in the cup and wins a place in the starting XI.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's just such a brain-dead thing to do. It's a foul. It's not even close to not being a foul. And he made sure he did it right in front of the referee. Absolutely idiotic and cost us the game.

The ref even stopped the previous corner being taken to have a word with them. Neves cleared it then the next corner resulted in a pen!

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I actually think Brentford deserve a lot of credit and play in a way similar to Burnley that we seem to find very difficult to play against. They're very tall, physical, especially with a bullying forward, pressing all over the pitch and then in defence, well disciplined and just pack the box as soon that they can to make it very difficult to create clear cut chances against.

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has anybody ever seen a team time waste more than Brentford today?
It was excessive, flattered us considering we posed zero threat.

but god I wish we knew how to timewaste & ****house

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seen enough of Marcal to know he is useful against the Top 6 when we are looking for a draw, but against teams we should be getting at he should be on the bench.

His penalty today lost us the game and I dont want to see him on the field anytime soon. Hopefully RAN impresses in the cup and wins a place in the starting XI.

RAN should absolutely be starting against teams like Brentford.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has anybody ever seen a team time waste more than Brentford today?

It was the most blatant I've seen. Also, at least 2 blatant dives, caught on camera. Jansen, I think tried one, and the commentary apparently can hear the VAR discussion and Attwell on VAR said there was clearly no contact. Jansen should have been booked, then. Probably 10 more less-blatant dives.

Also, that moment in the first half when Raul got past a defender on the touchline, was blatantly fouled right in front of the linesman, who didn't give it. Commentary again was baffled by that, they couldn't explain it other than the lino was waiting for the ref to give it and the ref was waiting for the lino to give it. A great position too, we could have swung one of our mesmerising set pieces into the box for our heavyweights to get on the end of.. or maybe not. Would have not beaten the first man. The sad thing was, Brentford didn't need the officials to help. They are not lethal finishers themselves, else they would have had 3 or 4.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang and Podence need to start for me in the next game. They were the only two who looked like they wanted to push through the back line.
Agree. Trincao was not at the races today and Raul has looked off the pace all season.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's because our centre mids don't create anything, they get the ball across the field at a glacial pace sideways. Desperate for an athletic ball progresser next to Neves. Anguissa would have been ideal.

Other than the slide rule passes by our centre mids for Traore to go on and miss? Who can they create *for*? Who is going to get on the end of anything and welly it into the net? Have you ever seen the lack of movement up front our forwards pulling defences out of position? It doesn't offer much to create for,
Does Anguissa score goals? Cos all he'd be doing is watching his work be wasted by our current lot as they get outpaced, muscled off the ball or blast it into Row Z.

Back
Top Bottom