Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves Southampton Verdict

DPE

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Guedes is a big worry for me. Not ***** about the speed gun I was quoted in the other thread. He isn't quick nor physical and doesn't seem to dribble with it. Not writing him off but never loved him at Valencia
Didn’t do well but the last couple of games thought he was quality. Going to be amazing for us nothing to worry about.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Traore and Semedo are still here ...
Don't worry it won't take long for them to move on.....we forgot the trincao and Silva brigade as well ....

A lad came in work last Monday after Newcastle and the first thing he said was Dendonker was terrible.....he was subbed on at 90 mins ......it beggers belief doesn't it.....

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The way I saw the match..it was basically more of the same.
Comparing the last couple of matches against Toon and Bournemouth..the main thing as I understand it was that it was our turn to have a little bit of rub of the green.
I fail to see we played any better really.
How on earth Che Adams missed to equalise I will never understand..miss of the season that...

Goalie..Sa was fairly stable,but the random mistake will probably always be part of the picture.

Defence..Welcome back Jonny.Kilman must be worthy of an England call up.Collins normally solid,but like Sa there is potential for a random mistake.RAN can still do better.

Midfield..still too negative for me.Neves good defensively,but lacked other end.Joao is getting on a bit,match passed him by IMO.
Improved Nunes,but I still have some reservations..but really good seeing him go forward they way he did.Probably our MOTM.

Attack..Sasa Kalajdcic(he is so new I still can´t spell his name right I think).He looked not naturalised for obvious reasons,but I think he showed that he will be that aerial threat we have missed.I am afraid he might be too fragile physically though.
Improved Podence..we know what we get´s with him.Very much up and down.Mi**** the goal scoring kick..but who cares?
Neto?..obviously places in the wrong position.Big potential for improvement..awful,just awful finish in good goal scoring position.
Must do better.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s that, he is clearly giving everything, it’s just not quite clicking for him atm .

I dont think he looks unsettled, he looks uncomfortable playing on the right. Its nothing more than that. Its not like he isnt putting in the effort.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably and Lage isn’t doing him any favours playing him on the right.

Let’s not forget Neto played many good games on the right pre injury. He was constantly swapping wings.

Pedro is trying very hard so nothing to do with his mindset, think he might even be trying too hard when he gets into key positions.

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He hasn't got the quality of touch to cut in properly. Needs two to properly get it under.

Forgot to mention in my ratings btw Neto bottling that tackle after somehow losing out to their keeper was pathetic

I noticed during the game he pulled out of a couple foot race challenges like the one with the keeper that he should have won but bottled.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
:cool:Scapegoat of the Week Award:

The nominees are:

Moutinho
Neto
Guedes

Hwang’s automatic entry was eventually cancelled this week
You're confusing scapegoats with players who didn't play especially well, and their performances are highlighted.

Scapegoats are those who are blamed for everything, even when it's not their fault. For example - Sa comes and flaps at a cross and people blame Dendoncker exclusively because he conceded the corner.

You could perhaps say Neto being on there wrong wing isn't his fault and plenty of people have mentioned that as a mitigating factor.

Calling out scapegoating is important but comments like this dilute it because what you've called out isn't scapegoating.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're confusing scapegoats with players who didn't play especially well, and their performances are highlighted.

Scapegoats are those who are blamed for everything, even when it's not their fault. For example - Sa comes and flaps at a cross and people blame Dendoncker exclusively because he conceded the corner.

You could perhaps say Neto being on there wrong wing isn't his fault and plenty of people have mentioned that as a mitigating factor.

Calling out scapegoating is important but comments like this dilute it because what you've called out isn't scapegoating.
I think the point being made was that some Wolves fans seem to have a habit of picking on certain players in their own team, even to the point of booing some of them. Edwards, Donks, Hwang…..

17miles

Reaction score
Very suprised at Adama winning his headers and the quality in where he put them. From what I remember all of them went to our players or into space for ours to run onto.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think Southampton will surprise a few this season, they are building quite an exciting young team

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree in the main, but think Jonny did better than a 6. Some great runs 2nd half and looked mostly solid.

Not sure how Nunes gets a 9. Feel he still wants to play the game far too slowly and dribbles into blind alleys. Large portions of the game passed him by. Loads of potential but a 7 at most for me. Maybe I’ll feel different when I watch it back.

Totally agree on Guedes. Is he fully fit? Looks really slow and unable to change pace.

Anyone booing a Wolves player onto the pitch can get ****ed.
I think he dribbles " into blind alleys " cos he's good enough to do that ...to suck 3 players in , then release it..
Like gazza and Wilshire

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The morning after. A long, long awaited victory.

Ralph BaseballHattenhuttel argued that his Southampton team deserved something from the match and perhaps there's something in that but somebody needs to tell him that that isn't the way football works. Watching the highlights (all I had to go on) of the Bournmouth match, I could argue with the same amount of justification that Wolves deserved three points because we had a whole bunch of chances to win the match. Again, that's not how football works - take your chances or be damned.

Which, ever-so-neatly, is the story of our season so far... we have often failed to take our chances and been damned for it. We learned absolutely nothing new from yesterday's match that we didn't already know after the previous home match against Newcastle ... we play neat-ish football but are as blunt as can be imagined. We scored from our only on-target shot for example. Familiar. Notably, the goal we scored was when we broke at pace and didn't stop to have a chat... tempo is the key for me.

Of note:

Pedro: does not look at home on the right - hardly an original comment - as his natural inclination is to use his left foot. Letting his frustration get the better of him at times
Max: becoming the defender he showed signs of previously.
Johnny: rubbish for 15 minutes, excellent for 75! I joked at the match that he was the best midfielder on the pitch at times...
Sasa: 45 mins of putting himself about, decent movement and gives something different - let's hope he's not broken
Nunes: growing into the league, wish we'd give him some movement to aim for more often. Occasionally tries to much in the wrong places perhaps... maybe a product of the lack of options.
Pod: I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on his finish :cool: "Makes things happen" (c)

In other words, nothing that's not already been said. I imagine it was quite an entertaining match for the neutral, as the saying goes.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Missed everything yesterday, sound like we rode our luck a bit but great to get the three points. Glad to hear Nunes had a good game and fingers crossed Bruno is right about Sasa’s injury.

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The morning after. A long, long awaited victory.

Ralph BaseballHattenhuttel argued that his Southampton team deserved something from the match and perhaps there's something in that but somebody needs to tell him that that isn't the way football works. Watching the highlights (all I had to go on) of the Bournmouth match, I could argue with the same amount of justification that Wolves deserved three points because we had a whole bunch of chances to win the match. Again, that's not how football works - take your chances or be damned.

Which, ever-so-neatly, is the story of our season so far... we have often failed to take our chances and been damned for it. We learned absolutely nothing new from yesterday's match that we didn't already know after the previous home match against Newcastle ... we play neat-ish football but are as blunt as can be imagined. We scored from our only on-target shot for example. Familiar. Notably, the goal we scored was when we broke at pace and didn't stop to have a chat... tempo is the key for me.

Of note:

Pedro: does not look at home on the right - hardly an original comment - as his natural inclination is to use his left foot. Letting his frustration get the better of him at times
Max: becoming the defender he showed signs of previously.
Johnny: rubbish for 15 minutes, excellent for 75! I joked at the match that he was the best midfielder on the pitch at times...
Sasa: 45 mins of putting himself about, decent movement and gives something different - let's hope he's not broken
Nunes: growing into the league, wish we'd give him some movement to aim for more often. Occasionally tries to much in the wrong places perhaps... maybe a product of the lack of options.
Pod: I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on his finish :cool: "Makes things happen" (c)

In other words, nothing that's not already been said. I imagine it was quite an entertaining match for the neutral, as the saying goes.
Good post!

But I'm pretty sure no neutrals watched this game

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I disagree, at least some is although you are correct in saying criticising a performance is not scapegoating. Patterns of the same player getting hammered do appear. The example above of " Donk was rubbish" when he came on in injury time sums it up.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got fed up of the comms thread yesterday with so much negativity and some folks wanting to blame Bruno for misplaced passes, etc so decided to check out and come back today. My verdict for what little it matters....

Overall, I think we were fortunate to get a win. At times we played some nice football and we seemed to have more threat as Kalajdzic gave us an outlet. However, we were very wasteful with Neto probably being the worst of the bunch given how much of the ball he saw and how he got into some promising positions. Defensively, we were OK but only Adams will know why he didn't equalise as he completely mistimed his jump.

Sa - flapped a few times and looks unsure sometimes.
Jonny - OK first half, very good second. Well done.
Collins - He's 21 and he's going to make mistakes. Started the game poorly IMO but gradually settled down and recovered to give a solid performance.
Kilman - It says much about his ability that we take him for granted now. Good game but at times I'd like to see himand Collins being more vocal.
Ait-Nouri - Good game. Still loves to wander like a headless chicken but gives us so much more attacking threat. Still learning but a delight to watch... most of the time.
Nunes - I know there is a love in with him at the moment and that he is settling into life in the Prem but he needs to learn to move the ball quicker. At times he tends to hold it too long and sometimes he gives it away with a careless pass needlessly. That said, lovely ball to Podence and played much better than against Bournemouth.
Neves - A little below his standard at times but he's allowed that from time to time. Now, get that contract signed.
Moutinho - Defensively very good. Needs to offer more from an attacking point of view.
Neto - Wasteful a lot of the time but that comes from i) being played out of position and ii) few options other than passing backwards. Simply needs to be played in his best position rather than Bruno trying to shoehorn new signings in.
Kalajdzic - Did OK. Gave us an outlet and some decent options. Just hope that knee is OK.
Podence - Our best attacking threat and hopefully the scuffed goal will lead to better things. Less wasteful than normal.

Guedes - Finding life in the Prem difficult. Have to say I thought his first couple of games were decent but seems to have regressed. Another Trincao?
Traore - Given 8 mins plus injury time to make an impact. Not enough.
Hwang - See Traore

Back
Top Bottom