Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves sack Scott Sellars

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They wouldn’t publish he’s set to be sacked if there was no substantial evidence would be the end of Liam as a wolves reporter
I wasn't disputing that, I was commenting more on the article which appears to be a continuation of them acting as apologists for Sellars.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plenty on here think I’m a Sellars apologist (I’m really not) I just think with our unique set up it’s very difficult from the outside to judge him. I would add if I was him I’d leave anyway, he’s turned into a panto villain for a lot of fans so regardless what he did he’d be wrong. He obviously wasn’t, but he could have been the reason Lupotegui came here and some would moan about it being his fault he didn’t come sooner. Thankless task now, I’d be asking for my contract to be paid up and go.

I hope it doesn’t turn into a “be careful what you wish for” situation because all those wanting a top class DOF, will be disappointed because our unique relationship with Gestifute means than No top class one will want to touch us and im not convinced a foreign DOF will have the care and attention for academy sides like Sellars undoubtedly did.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plenty on here think I’m a Sellars apologist (I’m really not) I just think with our unique set up it’s very difficult from the outside to judge him. I would add if I was him I’d leave anyway, he’s turned into a panto villain for a lot of fans so regardless what he did he’d be wrong. He obviously wasn’t, but he could have been the reason Lupotegui came here and some would moan about it being his fault he didn’t come sooner. Thankless task now, I’d be asking for my contract to be paid up and go.

I hope it doesn’t turn into a “be careful what you wish for” situation because all those wanting a top class DOF, will be disappointed because our unique relationship with Gestifute means than No top class one will want to touch us and im not convinced a foreign DOF will have the care and attention for academy sides like Sellars undoubtedly did.
I think one of the problems was that it seemed very unclear as to what his role was. He appeared to be Shi's right hand man, with final say over transfers. He was supposed to be in charge of recruiting a new manager. If all that was true, then he wasn't very good at it. But then there was a line spun to the local press that actually he wasn't really responsible for anything at all. If that was true, then there wasn't much point in him.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think one of the problems was that it seemed very unclear as to what his role was. He appeared to be Shi's right hand man, with final say over transfers. He was supposed to be in charge of recruiting a new manager. If all that was true, then he wasn't very good at it. But then there was a line spun to the local press that actually he wasn't really responsible for anything at all. If that was true, then there wasn't much point in him.
I think his remit was somewhere inbetween both to be honest.

Whoever comes in will either have to water down their expectations of the role (like Sellars did) or be a Gestifute stooge. It gets thrown round on here like some beacon of light the need for a “proper DOF” but we just don’t run like that. The Fosun/Gestifute relationship is absolutely water tight and rightly or wrongly they will always heavily rely on that for recruitment.

Personally I think Lupotegui will be a more traditional manager in so far as he’ll have much more say on recruitment than predecessors so that waters down the DOF role further.

If I was Jeff I’d have a restructure. Get rid of the head of football role and give J-Lo autonomy over the first team and squeeze Sellars back into the head of academy role he had before. Though whether he’d want to do that is a different scenario

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Off the field I concede it's probably a little more difficult to identify where culpability lies, but Sellars had objectives to achieve and he hasn't achieved them. Nobody is saying everything is his fault, just that he has failed. That seems to be the argument from his media pals - it isn't all his fault - well yeah that's fine but Bruno has gone and it's unlikely shouting for Shi's head will see him depart, so if fan dissent removed one bad apple, job done.

I also don't buy the Thelwell 'scapegoat' claim - he's the guy who claimed Grant Holt was a good signing because he 'had a lot of clubs' and presided over the loan deal for Yannick Sagbo FFS. Just because he has ended up at Everton rather than Luton doesn't make him immune to criticism.

As you say, it's incredibly difficult to judge - but that certainly doesn't stop people!

Thelwell was ridiculed for bad signings, but a lot of that was due to Morgan wanting the club run on a shoestring. When all he could afford was to sign Sagbo, what should Thelwell have said? "Yeah, sorry, we all know he's mediocre at best, but we can't afford anyone decent"?

People don't tend to give the DoF much credit as their default view - Kenny Jackett got all the praise for the L1 signings - probably rightly so, but I'm sure he didn't work on all of those signings entirely on his own.

And because of the huge impact the manager/general team has on whether individual signings work, it's very hard to judge. Were the singings of Bennett, Douglas and Ruddy brilliant masterstrokes by Thelwell, or did the glamour signings and Nuno's quality carry them? Realistically, it's all linked, and very complicated.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People saying we wont get a top class sporting director. Haven't we just appointed one in Fran? Yes his title is different but he did a remarkable job in Spain as a Sporting Director unless I am mistaken.

Also despite our close relationship with Mendes and his company I have seen some suggestion we will balance this out now with a better recruitment team behind the scenes.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think a lot is changing behind the scenes at Wolves. The structure looks like it is changing regarding recruitment and Fran is a top appointment if you look at his record in Spain. I was reading an article the other day where it said the club will always use Mendes but we need to be less reliant on him. This would seem right with Fran coming in and Lopetegui apparently wanting a new recruitment team. This will be the way forwards and can be done.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I understand peoples concerns about being tied to Mendes, however Fosun have invested in the academy and as we have seen we do have some good players coming through.

If Davies is being promoted to being in charge of the academy I think they do see the future stars coming from there but it will support our connection to Mendes.

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score

Well balanced post. Some have grumbles about how Sellars quals have been wielded as a guarantee that he has the acumen & insight of Clough, Shankly, Fergie.... Have just never taken to him, which is neither here or there in the great scheme of things.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it was discussed in a previous E and S podcast the rationale for the previous structure that it allowed some stability if a head coach departs and a new one is appointed. That was the theory anyway.
That the club is not solely dependant upon one person to call the shots.
I can understand it but to attract a high calibre coach they had to rip up this approach and it made sense in the position we are in .

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think a lot is changing behind the scenes at Wolves. The structure looks like it is changing regarding recruitment and Fran is a top appointment if you look at his record in Spain. I was reading an article the other day where it said the club will always use Mendes but we need to be less reliant on him. This would seem right with Fran coming in and Lopetegui apparently wanting a new recruitment team. This will be the way forwards and can be done.
depends who is doing the restructuring

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was there a more senior football man at the club over the last three years ? Answers please .
Sellars either had no influence so might as well go, or he did have influence and should go.
But I would have been very happy to see him stay as director of the youth academy .

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
6i61mt.gif

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn't Hobbs recently linked with Man United?

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
These internal hirings by Shi always stink of cronyism but let's hope that Hobbs is different.

Saying that, not sure how much influence he will have anyway. Julen calls the shots now.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Matt Hobbs, went to South America to sign some players, came back with none, that's an outlay of £0.00 and a massive 100% saving, great job Matt here's a promotion

Back
Top Bottom