Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves join the top-flight 1,000 wins club

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thursday's win over Watford was Wolves's 999th win in the top-flight (over 67 seasons, starting in 1888).

Screenshot_20220312-212706.png
Premier League + 1. Division - All-time league table

This means our next win, wherever it comes (hopefully at Goodison tomorrow) will be our 1,000th victory in top-flight football and will enlarge the membership of the group of clubs that have attained this landmark from 13 to 14.

Last edited:

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, we should quickly overtake Bolton as they're not likely to extend their stats anytime soon. Blackburn, on the other hand could well be in the Prem next season. WBA is a good 106 wins in front of us, so will probably take a number of years to reel them in.

gewolf

Reaction score
To see WBA with the worst goal difference in the top 16 made me smile!

Also, give us a few seasons and we should be in the top 10 surely?

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also, give us a few seasons and we should be in the top 10 surely?
Given that we have a 980-point deficit to make up on the team currently 10th (Sunderland), it would take 17 seasons for us to get up there, even if we were averaging 60 points a season (and bear in mind, we haven't had a 60 point season in the EPL yet!) ...and that still assumes none of the clubs currently 10th thru 13th return to the EPL themselves (I'm not worried about Notlob at present, but the other 3 could all conceivably return to the EPL before 2039 and start adding to their points totals!) I rather suspect most of us are not going to see us in this particular Top 10 during our lifetimes, sadly...

EDIT: On a more positive note, we have a good chance of overhauling Notlob and Blackburn in the next 2-3 seasons, assuming we retain our EPL status and neither of those 2 return to the top-flight during that time frame. We have a 412-point deficit to make up on the ****, so overtaking them's likely to be a project that'll take up most of the 2020s, even if they don't come back to the EPL in that time (please God!) and we maintain our EPL status.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member (smith)

Good data when considering who is a big club over the long haul….the top ten over over the long haul and the current top ten are not so different.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bolton/Blackburn next season then?
Unfortunately not. We're 110 points behind Notlob and 120 points behind Blackburn, so unless we have some incredible form next season that puts us in the frame to be Champions, it'll be 2023-24 at the earliest that we can hope to overtake them.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well we have won the league 3 times to Albion 1 and also won the League more times than Spurs. We are 11th on titles and Albion are behind us.

Last edited:

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Breaking into the top ten might not happen while I am around... :)

Green Wolf

Reaction score
Unfortunately not. We're 110 points behind Notlob and 120 points behind Blackburn, so unless we have some incredible form next season that puts us in the frame to be Champions, it'll be 2023-24 at the earliest that we can hope to overtake them.
He's talking about overtaking the number of wins isn't he?

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should overtake the number of wins of both Bolton and Blackburn next season assuming that Blackburn don't get promoted. Points, no, wins yes.

Green Wolf

Reaction score
We should overtake the number of wins of both Bolton and Blackburn next season assuming that Blackburn don't get promoted. Points, no, wins yes.
Yes, agree with that for certain, even if Blackburn WERE to be promoted. I was just pointing out that I think he was referring to over taking the wins.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's talking about overtaking the number of wins isn't he?
I don't know how you could deduce that from a mere five words, however even when we do pass the threshold of 1,017 wins that equals Notlob's and Blackburn's tallies, we're still going to be behind them in the all-time table as both have amassed a lot more draws than us. We only overtake them when we amass more points than them.

Last edited:

Green Wolf

Reaction score
I don't know how you could deduce that from a mere five words, however even when we do pass the threshold of 1,017 wins that equals Notlob and Blackburns tallies, we're still going to be behind them in the all-time table as both have amassed a lot more draws than us. We only overtake them when we amass more points than them.
Well, I think I just assumed that he wasn't that stupid.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The points is a bit of a nonsense stat really as it’s adjusted for 3 points for a win. The first 90 years or so was only 2 points for a win, so that would affect the way teams played, i.e. a draw was worth more than it is now.
Anyhow our percentage wins per games played is better than Notlob, Blackburn, or the ****. :D

Back
Top Bottom