Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves in the Telegraph

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Excellent article... the Media takes so much criticism, and rightly so a lot of the time, so when we have a non lazy gem like Percy or Phillips, its good to be able to give them the credit they deserve

Well informed and balanced article with no hidden agenda other than to accurately inform about our change in philosophy... no Mendes bashing, or subtle dig at the club or big 6 favouritism

Top Journalist and should be applauded

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The three main things I take from that are,

1. Nuno absolutely has the final call on transfers. No favors to Mendes unless it suits

2. We got rid of two unwanted players to the big 6. No question of them being poached

3. To quote, "in Jimenez he has unquestionably one of the finest centre-forwards operating in world football"

The mind still boggles at 2 and 3! This is the club I started supporting in old division 4 with two stands condemned.

D

Deleted member LP 3925

A good read. I don’t know anything about Valdir and his influence, he doesn’t get much of a mention from posters normally; anyone got anything interesting on him - not his job description but influence on our previous dealings?

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The bit about Hwang made me laugh :tearsofjoy: but also satisfied that Nuno has the absolute final say.

My only concern (and it's the slightest of slight concerns) is that it got so far into them tracking the player before Nuno told them he had no interest, you'd think this would have come up long before then.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My only concern (and it's the slightest of slight concerns) is that it got so far into them tracking the player before Nuno told them he had no interest, you'd think this would have come up long before then.
Its a good point, you'd have thought someone would have asked Thelwell why he keeps flyout to Austria every week before Hwang gets discussed...

Maybe they thought he was just a big fan of Apple Strudels

iantendo

Reaction score
what does Nuno do when teams "work out how to play Wolves"? Just changes the way we play. Bloody love him

D

Deleted member LP 3925

Probably
1. Interested in this player
2. Fly out to see him a few times
3. Present findings to Nuno
4. Nuno says “no, so you can stop going to Austria now”

Note how I avoided the use of the word ‘dossier’....aaargh I’ve said it.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nice article on Wolves and how we're changing our style this season

its so accurate. its bob on. thats why jota was sold. when doherty went i couldnt see it but now i can and in both games you could see the change. nuno will get this right

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is a lot of work needed to sort out the possession style of football because even agin Sheffield United we gave the ball back to them so easily and the first half v City was the same.

Needs time, like you say, but we certainly clicked in the 2nd half v Citeh. We’ll get it right soon enough

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps make this sticky.

Then when the first pass goes astray after five minutes on Sunday the inevitable posts on the match day thread declaring we 'peaked' last season and we are signing too many kids to progress can take a look and save their fingers dropping off due to hitting the key board too hard.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps make this sticky.

Then when the first pass goes astray after five minutes on Sunday the inevitable posts on the match day thread declaring we 'peaked' last season and we are signing too many kids to progress can take a look and save their fingers dropping off due to hitting the key board too hard.

Also when we score a counter-attacking goal people will say 'I thought we were moving away from that style?'

Already seen a comment or two like it after our Sheff Utd opener. It's as if trying to keep more possession means we can't counter attack when the ball is around our box.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

A good read. I don’t know anything about Valdir and his influence, he doesn’t get much of a mention from posters normally; anyone got anything interesting on him - not his job description but influence on our previous dealings?
He is at Compton constantly is all i know.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing in here surprises me. It all seems so right and Fosun do it right.
The week after the Savila match I posted we needed to change or we would become stagnant and in no way would Numo stay around for that. I got pilloried by a few of the vocals on here., and perhaps Nuno may have stayed regardless, but it would have been very difficult for him. He wants to achieve not consolidate .
We had reached the end of phase one of our development and done it early.
I do think Fosun have been caught out a bit , but in a good way as we are ahead of their original plan.So Fosun needed to bring their plans forward two years.
What has surprised me is that with great intelligence we have done almost all of this with low net investment. I did think Jota should move on but was weary it would be Traore because of values. But what great business getting £45 million when we have Podence for £17 million.
I was also weary of the Huwaei effect and Fosun not wanting to throw money at Wolves but again great management means they haven’t been reckless with investment even if they had wanted to be. And this is a great advert for Chinese business , will be great to watch Thomas Cook under Fosun management. So much like Wolves in its brand and decline.
All looks well for the next three years and that is where we may see us consolidate as a top six team .
I feel elated after a period of worry in August .

Last edited:

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also when we score a counter-attacking goal people will say 'I thought we were moving away from that style?'

Already seen a comment or two like it after our Sheff Utd opener. It's as if trying to keep more possession means we can't counter attack when the ball is around our box.
Would be nice to have a few strings to our bow. Counter attack, overload full backs, passing through the middle, the Traore. Would enable us to play against every side. Nuno seems quite defensive but shown he can change his tactics.

Clifton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I read the article but now needs you to start a free trial. Can anyone paste the contents on here?

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s harsh, but it’s clear that Nuno’s ideas were very different from KT, who decided what’s the point if he has little influence and moved on.
I get that, it seems KT didn't like being undermined/overruled. His role did change at the club with fewer powers. Probably not what he signed up for.

But "clueless jobsworth" is well wide of the mark.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

To be honest I think it just reads that way because Percy was condensing the the story down into a quick example in a larger story. I'm sure there's more context to the full story. It won't have been a case of Thelwell single-mindedly scouting and chasing this one player and then lining up the transfer until Nuno said no when all the work was done. In reality it will be more like Hwang was one of several players Thelwell was scouting - a list we know also contained Olmo and Podence - and work was done on all of these options but Thelwell was convinced Hwang would be one Nuno would choose. But that's a level of detail you can't fit into a quick example in a larger article with a word count.

Nivada

Reaction score
I want Nuno to become a club legend up there with the absolute greats so so much.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was never impressed with Kevin Thelwell . But then no one was good enough for me (or many like me ) as I saw WWFC as a sleeping giant . That had almost died in its sleep. But KT was of a different era and one of the good guys IMO . How could any truly talented football man work for Morgan’s Wolves and at the same time be good enough to compete with Nuno and Mendes. Everything this article says make sense of our immediate past.
Happily all worked out well for KT and Wolves .

Back
Top Bottom