Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves games from 50’s and 60’s on YouTube

Bogota Wolf

Reaction score
I was thinking the same the other night when someone from Brentford was enthusing about the London Wolves of that time ;-)

I found Fulham vs Wolves in 1967 after we returned to the big time. Looks like a lot of those London Wolves might have been there to celebrate our goals!

And this link about Away days in that promotion year is simply awesome as our American friends might say. It's been posted before but some newbies might not know it.

And here's that famous day in Coventry:

Enjoy reminiscing or discovering our roots!

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll check that out later when at work. I haven't seen much that I haven't seen before, so it will be good to find a heap of new videos of old games.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was at the game at Plymouth. Midnight coach from Faulkland St car park, arrived in Plymouth at 6.00 am. Impromptu games of football on a supermarket car park before breakfast! Derek Dougan's debut, but Knocker scored the winner in a 1-0. Was also at the Coventry game in April. The Coventry bloke in the clip who says 'You would have killed for a ticket' is talking *******s, as there were no tickets, it was pay on the gate, hence the overcrowding with people hanging off the floodlights, sitting on the roof of the stand, and round the pitch perimeter no more than a couple of feet from the pitch. Over 51,000 there, a ground record that will never be broken now that Highfield Rd ground no longer exists. We were 1 up at HT, but lost 3-1.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was at the game at Plymouth. Midnight coach from Faulkland St car park, arrived in Plymouth at 6.00 am. Impromptu games of football on a supermarket car park before breakfast! Derek Dougan's debut, but Knocker scored the winner in a 1-0. Was also at the Coventry game in April. The Coventry bloke in the clip who says 'You would have killed for a ticket' is talking *******s, as there were no tickets, it was pay on the gate, hence the overcrowding with people hanging off the floodlights, sitting on the roof of the stand, and round the pitch perimeter no more than a couple of feet from the pitch. Over 51,000 there, a ground record that will never be broken now that Highfield Rd ground no longer exists. We were 1 up at HT, but lost 3-1.
could have still won the league but blew up at palace as the team were on the way to the states and not bothered ,a bit like our game at sunderland a few seasons back

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Fascinating stuff! What gets me is that it's less effort to get to Paris or Madrid these days ,than it was to Plymouth back then (Covid aside).

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Got the midnight coach from Ashmore and also arrived at 6.00 am. Breakfast at the wholesale market cafe and game of football on the Hoe. This was stopped by a young WPC who said ball games were prohibited, I said, in jest, that it was a good job she was not there when Francis Drake played bowls on the Hoe or we would all be speaking Spanish now. Did not go down well and I just escaped being arrested. Happy days.

Blackpool Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Just came across the following:

Man City v Wolves 1956/57
Wolves v Sheff U 55/56
Barcelona v Wolves and return 1960
Wolves v Blackpool 57/58
Wolves v Man City 60/61
Wolves v Man U 60/61
Forest v Wolves 60/61
Wolves v Newcastle 57/58
Wolves v Everton 60/61

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score
When watching the second clip, it always amazes me that Huddersfield old home ground was LEEDS Road!
Like Wolves playing at Sandwell Park (shrudder...), Birmingham Road or Aston Ground...

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All fake, YouTube wasn’t around in the 50s
Pssssst....mums the word........time travellers.
We have videos of you in a Villa shirt, at 15 behind the bus shelter with a certain young lady....

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve just noticed that lots of the above games have appeared on YouTube - five minute clips but provide fascinating insight. Sorry if old news.
Had a chance to look through this lot. Some old classics here which are new to YouTube. Wolves v Everton in Jan 61 featuring Ted Farmer scoring his 21st goal on his 21st birthday on 21st January, I believe in the 21st minute! Preston v Swansea Cup Semi at Villa Park in 1964, which I went to. All of them subtitled 'heavyroller' -- pretty appropriate seeing the state of the pitches!

Vicious Sid

Reaction score
Fascinating stuff! What gets me is that it's less effort to get to Paris or Madrid these days ,than it was to Plymouth back then (Covid aside).
not that difficult, from when i was about 14 i would hitch - so easy to get lifts in those days

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just at random I've watched the games v Everton and West Ham, 1961, both away. Lost 4-0 and 5-0...... a team clearly on the wane. Slater, Broadbent and Clamp and others past their imperious best. Sad.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just at random I've watched the games v Everton and West Ham, 1961, both away. Lost 4-0 and 5-0...... a team clearly on the wane. Slater, Broadbent and Clamp and others past their imperious best. Sad.
Sounds like we were too slow to refresh the team and replace players. Rather like Clough wanted to do at Leeds....

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
wolves were slowly going downhill but we had already beaten W.H.U. 4-2 at home and we went on a 5 match winning run after the 5-0 hitting 6 v.chelsea and 4 v. everton and some team from sandwell.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watch the home game v Everton from January 61. Hammered them 4-1

Back
Top Bottom