Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves 2-1 Preston: Verdict

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite concerning display in my opinion because of the complacency that was evident from the 45th minute.

Hwang is disgraceful for taking the penalty off Raul, a real hate of mine, and seemingly Bruno as well as he wasn't impressed. Raul is nearly as bad for giving it him.

That set the tone for an awful second half.

The off-the-ball work rate wasn't good enough. Not tracking back late on, careless in possession, which resulted in the goal for Preston.

Don't get me wrong, the first 44 minutes were great and there were signs of positivity but felt like they treated the second half as a training game and that's a worry for a side that have done nothing.

Sarkic - 6 - I'm not sure on the goal, had a poor view in the ground so willing to retract this but didn't seem to zip in.

Semedo - 6 - Good and bad. Wasteful on the ball a lot but kept going well until he tired before he was rightly subbed.
Collins - 8 - A few nervy moments but on the whole the main one winning crucial balls and making key blocks.
Kilman - 7 - Not as noticeable as Collins but did pretty well on the whole with a few nervy moments as well.
Ait-Nouri - 7 - Excellent assist and did well at times but was targeted I felt second half and didn't do enough to clear balls down his flank.

Moutinho - 6 - Expected him to calm things down when the second half got ragged. Not the best display.
Nunes - 6 - Flashes of quality and certainly signs that he will be very good but pretty average overall. Felt like he had another couple of gears in him.
Dendoncker - 5 - Was pretty anonymous throughout. Tidy in possession and took up good positions but didn't actually do much.

Traore - 8 - Superb goal. Should've had an assist when put an excellent ball on Jimenez's head, and maybe another goal. A constant threat.
Jimenez - 6 - Second half ruins it. Was anonymous. Good first half though and scored a goal by staying between the posts, who'd have thought it!?
Hwang - 6 - His overall performance was okay but shouldn't be on the penalty. Anything to do with his Korean documentary I wonder?

---

Neves - 6- Came on and brought a bit more composure to the midfield but still expected more.
Neto & Guedes - 5 - Both pretty wasteful on the ball.

Jonny & Podence - N/A - Not on that long.

Do feel slightly harsh with this assessment as on the balance of chances we certainly deserved to win easily and be out of sight. However, on the basis we weren't, they really could've taken it to penalties as Potts missed a sitter and they had several other chances.

I felt they bullied us a bit second half, or certainly turned it into a scrap and that's not we wanted.

I hope it's just simply the case of complacency and the players had another gear if they needed it but they made hard work of that and it was all our own doing.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang is going to get absolute pelters. Hard to defend him though. If you’re going to take the ball off the designated penalty taker you better bloody score!

Pleased for Traore.

Though Collins was absolutely class. He reads the game so well.

Nunes was maybe guilty of trying too hard to impress but some real quality moments from him.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Quite concerning display in my opinion because of the complacency that was evident from the 45th minute.

Hwang is disgraceful for taking the penalty off Raul, a real hate of mine, and seemingly Bruno as well as he wasn't impressed. Raul is nearly as bad for giving it him.

The off-the-ball work rate wasn't good enough. Not tracking back late on, careless in possession, which resulted in the goal for Preston.

Don't get me wrong, the first 44 minutes were great and there were signs of positivity but felt like they treated the second half as a training game and that's a worry for a side that have done nothing.

Sarkic - 6 - I'm not sure on the goal, had a poor view in the ground so willing to retract this but didn't seem to zip in.

Semedo - 6 - Good and bad. Wasteful on the ball a lot but kept going well until he tired before he was rightly subbed.
Collins - 8 - A few nervy moments but on the whole the main one winning crucial balls and making key blocks.
Kilman - 7 - Not as noticeable as Collins but did pretty well on the whole with a few nervy moments as well.
Ait-Nouri - 7 - Excellent assist and did well at times but was targeted I felt second half and didn't do enough to clear balls down his flank.

Moutinho - 6 - Expected him to calm things down when the second half got ragged. Not the best display.
Nunes - 6 - Flashes of quality and certainly signs that he will be very good but pretty average overall. Felt like he had another couple of gears in him.
Dendoncker - 5 - Was pretty anonymous throughout. Tidy in possession and took up good positions but didn't actually do much.

Traore - 8 - Superb goal. Should've had an assist when put an excellent ball on Jimenez's head, and maybe another goal. A constant threat.
Jimenez - 6 - Second half ruins it. Was anonymous. Good first half though and scored a goal by staying between the posts, who'd have thought it!?
Hwang - 6 - His overall performance was okay but shouldn't be on the penalty. Anything to do with his Korean documentary I wonder?

---

Neves - 6- Came on and brought a bit more composure to the midfield but still expected more.

Do feel slightly harsh with this assessment as on the balance of chances we certainly deserved to win easily and be out of sight. However, on the basis we weren't, they really could've taken it to penalties as Potts missed a sitter and they had several other chances.

I felt they bullied us a bit second half, or certainly turned it into a scrap and that's not we wanted.

I hope it's just simply the case of complacency and the players had another gear if they needed it but they made hard work of that and it was all our own doing.
Cheers. Good to read the opinion of someone who saw the game. Glad to hear Traore was up for it and put a good performance in.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score

---

Agree with most of this. But I thought raul handed Hwang the ball rather than Hwang taking it which is just as disgraceful but rauls fault rather than Hwangs

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Much worse when we took Adama, Donk and Hwang off by all accounts!

As you were..
I think the problem had already set in. The goal Preston scored was really poor from our point of view and we were crying out for subs when he made them, in my opinion, unfortunately they didn't change the flow of the second half.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A win is a win; even if the 2nd 45 was very flat.

Two very nicely created and taken goals by Raul and Adama (the latter with probs his best strike in a Wolves shirt) and some fairly neat interplay throughout, along with a first half that we should have had 3/4.

Obs the penalty was terrible and it’s clear Hwang needs a lot of encouragement.

Nunes for his full home debut ticked over very nicely and will be a bargain at £38 Million.

And Sarkic did what he needed to do for a debut for the lad. He was never gonna reach what was a nicely taken Preston goal.

It’s a victory and that is what matters and roll on the Round 3 draw, which doesn’t include the stripy lot as a bonus after Derby beat em 1-0!

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really good first half I felt, intensity was where it needed to be at. Second half started off poorly and never really improved, even with the triple sub, we just seem to run out of gas in games at the 60-70 minute mark, it's becoming a very worrying trend. Are they lacking fitness, or are the players complacent or lacking motivation? Preston obviously playing a back five (and ten men behind the ball most of the time) made it a bit of a passing exercise at times, but still a good run out and most importantly, a win.

Sarkic - 5 - Wrong footed for the goal, didn't feel like it was placed in the corner so maybe he could have done better.
Semedo - 6 - Very rusty, some poor passes at times, but he brought real energy and pace down the right, and wasn't helped by a very stationary Traore at times.
Collins - 7 - Not only is he extremely comfortable on the ball, but he reads the game extremely well. Quick, good in the air, physical. For a 21 year old CB, he's a fantastic specimen. He will make some errors occasionally, but he's brilliant.
Kilman - 7 - Rolls Royce. That ball for RAN in the first half absolutely fantastic. Preston were playing so deep at times that Kilman was like an extra midfielder.
RAN - 9 - MotM for me. Fantastic all game long going forward. Their right wing back got subbed off at HT because of him.
Nunes - 7 - Every time he got the ball wanted to make things happen, special player. Got a bit worried when he got winded in a collision.
Moutinho - 6 - Didn't do a lot wrong, just controlled the game in the Neves role. Wish his corners beat the first man.
Dendoncker - 6 - Steady, but watching him in the same game as Nunes highlights the difference.
Hwang - 6 - In spite of his penalty miss I felt did play quite well, made some excellent runs off the ball. -1 for a shocking penalty.
Traore - 6 - Fantastic strike, but still so frustrating. His movement off the ball is still non-existent, you know what you're getting from him...
Jimenez - 7 - Encouraging return. Really pleased Bruno gave him 90 minutes tonight, he needed it. I still don't know if he'll ever be the same player, but it was great to see him get that goal. Should have took the pen.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with most of this. But I thought raul handed Hwang the ball rather than Hwang taking it which is just as disgraceful but rauls fault rather than Hwangs
Yeah, it's 50/50 really.

Have listened to Keen and Judah and they're blaming Raul more, which I understand. The point being Hwang may ask for it but you tell him to **** off basically.

I get that but in my opinion the blame lies with Hwang more so. He knew Raul was the penalty taker so leave him alone. Even hanging around and trying to get it means you're creating a stress for Raul that he doesn't need.

It's bad all round though.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought we showed we was classes above PNE in the first half. Should have been 3/4 up.
IMO everyone played well or reasonably well with the exception of Dendocker
My saddest moment of tonight was I thought Raul really struggled, he was on his heels and not tiramisu of the game
I hate hate hate to say this but I just can’t see Raul getting back to his pre injury standards
I prey I proven wrong

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
but they made hard work of that and it was all our own doing.
This is the verdict in a nutshell to be honest!

I turned to my dad midway through the second half and said for as long as I’ve gone since he took me as a kid to me taking him today, it doesn’t seem to matter whether we’re in league 1 with £2m of players on the pitch or PL with £200m, Wolves always seem capable of taking what could be a comfortable win and turning it in to a slog!

As for my verdict it wasn’t so much about the performance on the pitch as that was secondary for me. My parents gave up their season tickets in the summer after 38 years due to worries about the current cost of living crisis, my dad had been going even longer still since he was a kid himself. This was my dads first game back there this season and I was just happy to see him settle back in to it like a comfortable pair of shoes you’ve had for years, even if that did include grumbling about how we were desperate to shoot ourselves in the foot!

But yeah, that second half was hard work wasn’t it!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8455jwf

This is the verdict in a nutshell to be honest!

I turned to my dad midway through the second half and said for as long as he’s I’ve gone since he took me as a kid to me taking him today, it doesn’t seem to matter whether we’re in league 1 with £2m of players on the pitch or PL with £200m, Wolves always seem capable of taking what could be a comfortable win and turning it in to a slog!

As for my verdict it wasn’t so much about the performance on the pitch as that was secondary for me. My parents gave up their season tickets in the summer after 38 years due to worries about the current cost of living crisis, my dad had been going even longer still since he was a kid himself. This was my dads first game back there this season and I was just happy to see him settle back in to it like a comfortable pair of shoes you’ve had for years, even if that did include grumbling about how we were desperate to shoot ourselves in the foot!

But yeah, that second half was hard work wasn’t it!
Now that anecdote has very much cheered me up. Happy for your old man!

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not hugely impressed. Maybe it will take time to gel. Not sure how much time we have. Looked like we had the Newcastle team out once we made the three subs (before Jonny and Podence came on) - it was still a bit ponderous for me in terms of style. Cant help but think we have (potentially) the best group of players in our squad since I've been attending - but I'm not sure we the guy in the dugout who can get them to play as he wants (or how they can). The amount of times I looked down and Lage was going mad about something (which loses its impact after the first time he has a meltdown?) was countless.

Think we have three games in six days (Sun, Wed, Sat) against Newcastle, Bournemouth and Southampton. I think we need 6/7 points.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Honestly wondering whether we do go to a stodgy counter attacking 4-4-2 or 4-3-3.

Can these blokes actually create in possession with any consistency

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t believe some of the moaning on here! We controlled 90% of that game.

Despite the penalty, Hwang actually played very well.

Nunes was very good. Traore scored and got some decent crosses in.

We looked much better with a recognised striker on the pitch. Not sure anyone else our team would’ve been in position for his tap in. Proper a strikers goal.

Yes we dropped off a bit but aside from giving the goal away, we never looked threatened. No point going hell for leather for 90 minutes when you can manage the game and save your energy for the weekend.

Cheer up you grumpy gits

King Henry VIII

Groupie
Reaction score
This is exactly what happened. Hwang didn't ask for it, Raul gave it to him. Then there was a lot of ****ing about by their goalie and No.10 which delayed the penalty being taken.

I thought Hwang had a very good half up to that point. Linked well with RAN and Raul and worked very hard when out of possession. Seemed to go into his shell after the penalty miss.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My view of tonight:
Men against boys first half. When we attack with speed and direct play we are threatening. Prime example was the first goal, quick movement, ball through the lines, RAN runs beyond the fullback, simple pass and tap in. However we don't do it enough. Too often we still slow play down, even when in good positions, and pass the ball around in front of the opposition. Lage is on the sidelines urging them forward but they dont seem to do it.

Second half, we fanny around and eventually give them a goal, which was well finished. Next 10 minutes or so their tails are up and they have one decent chance but its mainly bluster - Saric didnt have a save to make. We do make chances second half, but the subs made no difference. If anything we slowed the play down even more, kept the ball, playing in front of 10 men…it was pretty dreary stuff compared to the first half.

it’s worrying me that Neto made no impact at all when he came on and, to be honest, neither did the other subs. On the plus side, Collins looks really good, Kilman and Semedo were good too. Raul is definitely sharper than last year, Nunes is incredibly skilful, looked really good and positive first half, second half faded a little.

Hwang…oh, Hwang. There was a couple of really good pieces of play, one sublime turn in midfield that saw him chopped down. Then came the penalty (or was it a pass back?). Desperate stuff really, I’m trying to give him leeway but its getting so hard to keep doing so. ~The Donk - is there a player more unaware on the pitch than him? simply watches the ball role past him, doesnt tackle, its weird - i don't know what he adds. My son said to me its like watching telegraph pole slowly going round the pitch.

Adama was decent. There werent any high speed runs tonight, beating players for fun but he delivered one very good cross which Raul should have done better with, a couple of overhit crosses then scored a cracker. Then as if to remind us, just before half time he absolutely thrashed at another good chance putting it well wide.

It was a win, Not a great win, we played a strong team tonight against Preston and, particularly second half, we stopped playing threatening football. Its all well and good getting new strikers but we have to sort out this ethos where we slow the play down all the time and pass around - we would score more goals if we actually attack.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Not hugely impressed. Maybe it will take time to gel. Not sure how much time we have. Looked like we had the Newcastle team out once we made the three subs (before Jonny and Podence came on) - it was still a bit ponderous for me in terms of style. Cant help but think we have (potentially) the best group of players in our squad since I've been attending - but I'm not sure we the guy in the dugout who can get them to play as he wants (or how they can). The amount of times I looked down and Lage was going mad about something (which loses its impact after the first time he has a meltdown?) was countless.

Think we have three games in six days (Sun, Wed, Sat) against Newcastle, Bournemouth and Southampton. I think we need 6/7 points.
Yeah Lage losing his nut constantly doesn't do anything does it. They just ignore him and play it sideways anyway

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing changes. Faff faff pass sidewards. Push into the middle , pass it back. Spread it to the full back. Pass it back. Faff faff across the back. To the other full back. Into midfield , pass it back
****ing atrocious pedestrianised garbage. If this is it after spending a **** load of money , I despair
What the **** has happened to Neves’ shooting ability and why on earth do we persevere with Hwang ?
Kilman , Collins and Nunes were good. Guedes looked sharp
But the rest ? Deary me , we are in for a real **** show if a season unless we find a striker with pace
Disillusionment doesn’t come close.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At least we're through to the next round. I'm a little concerned as we should have easily brushed Preston aside, and we were probably worse when our big hitters came on weirdly enough.

I really don't think Hwang is very good. I know people say we're stocked with forwards, but if Traore or Neto go late in the window, I'm concerned that Hwang is the back up we have. He works hard, but really isn't very good.

drewsie

Groupie
Reaction score
Shhh, I wouldn’t get caught praising Hwang round here if I were you…
Obsessed with doom some folks are! Can’t ****ing wait to jump on the negative and go in two-footed.

Guy missed a penalty and you’ve got berks saying stuff like “sell him to Kiddy” or “he cost 14 million, he’s useless, get rid of him”.

Embarrassing & disgraceful stuff in my opinion!

I’m at the point I don’t want to come on here anymore and read the comments of these ****ing obsessive, negative, mood hoovers. Thought Twitter was bad, but this place…..Christ!

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Seems to be a recurring theme this season so far. Intensity seems to fade away in the second half of games, which should not be happening.
It's not to bad if you actually create a lot and score when on top. Then you can drop off a bit and pick them off.

Problem is, we look tidy but create very little and then drop off

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Feel sorry for both of them. Sounds well intentioned by Raul, but had the polar opposite impact than he intended. I can imagine Lage giving them grief at HT over it given his reaction touchline, and perhaps that had an impact on the whole team second half. My impression is of a squad sorely lacking in confidence and therefore fragile when things turn against them.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not saying we’ll get this far but the 4th Round is played Dec 20/21….if Portugal get to WC SF we’ll have no team available…..

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My view of tonight:
Men against boys first half. When we attack with speed and direct play we are threatening. Prime example was the first goal, quick movement, ball through the lines, RAN runs beyond the fullback, simple pass and tap in. However we don't do it enough. Too often we still slow play down, even when in good positions, and pass the ball around in front of the opposition. Lage is on the sidelines urging them forward but they dont seem to do it.

Second half, we fanny around and eventually give them a goal, which was well finished. Next 10 minutes or so their tails are up and they have one decent chance but its mainly bluster - Saric didnt have a save to make. We do make chances second half, but the subs made no difference. If anything we slowed the play down even more, kept the ball, playing in front of 10 men…it was pretty dreary stuff compared to the first half.

it’s worrying me that Neto made no impact at all when he came on and, to be honest, neither did the other subs. On the plus side, Collins looks really good, Kilman and Semedo were good too. Raul is definitely sharper than last year, Nunes is incredibly skilful, looked really good and positive first half, second half faded a little.

Hwang…oh, Hwang. There was a couple of really good pieces of play, one sublime turn in midfield that saw him chopped down. Then came the penalty (or was it a pass back?). Desperate stuff really, I’m trying to give him leeway but its getting so hard to keep doing so. ~The Donk - is there a player more unaware on the pitch than him? simply watches the ball role past him, doesnt tackle, its weird - i don't know what he adds. My son said to me its like watching telegraph pole slowly going round the pitch.

Adama was decent. There werent any high speed runs tonight, beating players for fun but he delivered one very good cross which Raul should have done better with, a couple of overhit crosses then scored a cracker. Then as if to remind us, just before half time he absolutely thrashed at another good chance putting it well wide.

It was a win, Not a great win, we played a strong team tonight against Preston and, particularly second half, we stopped playing threatening football. Its all well and good getting new strikers but we have to sort out this ethos where we slow the play down all the time and pass around - we would score more goals if we actually attack.

Forgot to say - Finally those crappy bottles of Carling have gone. Draught Madri and draught IPA available - about bloody time.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That 2nd half was absolute gash, no intensity whatsoever and came out like the game was already won (would have been if it wasn't for that nonsense from Raul and Hwang for that penalty). A bit worrying that we seemed to have little answer after they scored and we looked rather rattled at the back. I hope it was just nerves having not won for a while but... relieved to get through in the end when it really should not have come to that after being so in control and so very comfortable and on top first half.

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
Overall I thought we played well. Especially first half we dominated them and moutinho in the pivot dictated the play. The combination play was quick and concise. Which led to both our goals.

Donk and Nunes got through a good amount of running. Nunes looked a class above but for me after he took a knock to his ankle his influenced wavered. Hwang and Nouri linked well as did Semedo and Adama. We missed the energy and running that Hwang and Donk offered when they were replaced (put my tin hat on). Hwang will be judged on penalty miss and not his overall play as people have a vendetta.

We let Preston back in with a poor goal to give away but it was a good finish back across the keeper. Which gave them a sniff. We had chances in open play to finish them off, but in second half it became laboured and slow. Neto has started the season poorly in my opinion and did not offer much in his cameo.

Kilman and Collins were very good. Although Collins got caught down the side a few times second half. He will grow.

You can see what Bruno is trying too. The more we play and get used to the new system the better we will get.

Made it harder for ourselves but good to get that first win of the season.

Back
Top Bottom