Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Winter Break

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see from the BBC site that the subject of a mid season break is on the agenda again.. My view is that Christmas football is a tradition that I enjoy and I can actually guarantee time off. These fixtures are the first I look for.

The excuse again is demands on players, but clubs don't seem to mind dragging players to Australia or China in the middle of July for pointless (except to the money men) friendlies. I wouldn't mind betting they would do the same in the mid season break.

Non joined up thinking?

S

ShropshireLad

I see from the BBC site that the subject of a mid season break is on the agenda again.. My view is that Christmas football is a tradition that I enjoy and I can actually guarantee time off. These fixtures are the first I look for.

The excuse again is demands on players, but clubs don't seem to mind dragging players to Australia or China in the middle of July for pointless (except to the money men) friendlies. I wouldn't mind betting they would do the same in the mid season break.

Non joined up thinking?

Great idea to have a winter break as poor winter weather periods fluctuate each year in Britain. Give the players a rest over Christmas and over-load them with injuries during the spells of fixture pile-ups. :cool:
Non-joined up thinking as you say.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Worst weather is generally mid Feb I think, but it's so unpredictable

B

Benson

Hate the idea of winter breaks. The teams should use their squads better if they want their players to rest a week or two.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They should remember who runs football, it's the fans who attend matches and the blokes in the pub who watch the game or at home on Sky Sports/BT - both would be upset at a lack of Christmas football.

And the argument that it would improve the national team at major tournaments is laughable, they'll still be $$$$ come the Summer.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm against it (as if that makes any difference). It'll be a big cultural change for the sport in this country and not one I would welcome. If it happens it'll be a sad day for tradition.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Non joined up thinking?

I think they are suggesting a break in January, so Christmas fixtures are not affected

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think they are suggesting a break in January, so Christmas fixtures are not affected
So we can go and watch more midweek games in February and March?

Seems a bit pointless to be honest. Clubs have big squads nowadays, there's no excuse for them to not rotate when required.

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it is after the new years game in January then a few weeks off coming back with FA Cup 3rd round then great.
Its the inevitable more midweek fixtures and having less recovery time between games that is surely worse than playing in the cold.

B

Benson

1st and 4th weekend in January FA Cup, 2nd and 3rd they rest if not replays in the FA Cup which can be scheduled 2nd weekend. Something like that?

Can maybe accept it but still dont like it..

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So we can go and watch more midweek games in February and March?

Seems a bit pointless to be honest. Clubs have big squads nowadays, there's no excuse for them to not rotate when required.

I agree, I think it's a waste of time.

Top clubs will just jet off to the Far East for two weeks and play exhibition matches, then come back knackered

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
global warming means there is no need for a winter break anyhow

but seriously, why do we need a winter break? I see no need for it. Holiday football is a British tradition and long may it last.

they have winter break in the Bundesliga and imo it affects the momentum the picks up as the season gathers pace....

D

Deleted at own request (WeAreTheWolves)

It's ludicrous and only suggested because it gave failures somethin to fall back on with England.

Barcelona is all you need to say.

I admit playing 26th, 28th and then 1st/2nd is a bit OTT, they could remove the 28th set of fixtures, but we don't need a break and it's NOT why we fail.

Tired&Emotional

Groupie
Reaction score
I agree, I think it's a waste of time.

Top clubs will just jet off to the Far East for two weeks and play exhibition matches, then come back knackered

I am totally against a winter break.

I agree with JR, the clubs will go on money spinning tours and play meaningless friendlies. There is no way the players will get rested in the break.

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seriously no good reason for a winter break, we already have several two week breaks that didn't exist a decade or more ago because of international breaks. Adding another one would just mean more fixture congestion at other times of the season.

H

howlin wolf

I thought the idea was to bring us line with most of Europe. It would put us on a level playing field if it was introduced. Whether we benefited is another matter. With at least one game lost through winter anyway because of the weather not sure how it would be detrimental.
Go for it.

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yeah but surely england will win everything if we have a winter break! :p

clifs

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
They didn't need a break when they were paid £10 a week and had to play all 90 minutes on a bog. What is wrong with modern footballers ?

D

Deleted member 4456

I don't celebrate Christmas. Life goes on for me. Football should go on too.

M

Mr Wolf

Why not scrap the pointless international friendlies or ridiculous ties against qualifying nations that are worse than Conference teams? Give them there own tournament to qualify to play us.

Wales didn't have a winter break did they?

It's about the fans not the players, if this happens it's just another nail in the coffin of the game. 10 days in Dubai or Qatar playing a friendly vs Real won't make a blind bit of difference.

H

howlin wolf

Wales do not have a break. Mind you Wales never won anything either, which is the point of the breaks. To assist in actually winning a trophy. France Germany, Spain all have breaks .They are slightly more successful than the England team.

bigbluewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think the winter break is actually about the physical side, more the mental side. It's to give players a break from the mental pressure of football.

M

Mr Wolf

How would the winter break have helped cat flap arms save a weak shot?

Would it have stopped Harry useless Kane miss hitting every single free kick?

How about Sterling cutting back on his right & not being able to cross?

$$$$ your winter breaks right off, those leagues have 70% & more of there own players playing we have 30% at best & much less at the bigger clubs. Take a look at that first before ruining our seasons for your greed.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its always the same after a failed tournament - the winter break issue comes up.
I'm against it but
If it didn't ruin the fixtures around Christmas and new years and if teams were not allowed to go abroad for lucrative friendlies then perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if the players actually got a rest.
They should be looking at the pointless amount of international friendlies and considering teams play weakened sides in cup competitions the top teams are able to rest their players anyway.
Didn't Griezmann play like 57 or something games last season? Yeah he might of had a 1 or 2 week break but does that really make much difference?

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have no probably with this. If it means we see a better standard of football

Wolvesfcneil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would Leicester have won the league last year with a winter break as they would have lost a lot of momentum ?

E

Essex Wolf

Part of the English game is to play from August until May. Having a break will just extend the season or mean playing catch up to complete the fixtures so players have more chance of injuries.

Modern stadiums and better pitches tend to mean it's rarely a case of the pitch being unplayable that is an issue during the winter months so leave things alone.

wolf97

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd be okay with the scrapping of the Dec 28th game, but that's it.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How would the winter break have helped cat flap arms save a weak shot?

Would it have stopped Harry useless Kane miss hitting every single free kick?

How about Sterling cutting back on his right & not being able to cross?

$$$$ your winter breaks right off, those leagues have 70% & more of there own players playing we have 30% at best & much less at the bigger clubs. Take a look at that first before ruining our seasons for your greed.
+1

The Premier League is doing its best to wreck the English game and they seem to have the EFL and FA in their pockets - who will speak for the fans now?

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or do away with the stupid international friendlies and spread the league games out a bit more.

M

Mr Wolf

I have no probably with this. If it means we see a better standard of football

That makes no sense whatsoever, Ross Barkley isn't going to be a better player because he has 10 days off early January.

If you're normal to lower premier league club knocked out of the league cup early doors after playing your second team, same with the FA Cup you'll play what 42 games at most spread out over god knows how long.

It's already $$$$ enough when you don't play for 2 weeks because England play San Marino followed by Luxembourg.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or do away with the stupid international friendlies and spread the league games out a bit more.

Absolutely.

The only players affected are those who play at international level it seems to me. If they extend the season to allow for a break, what happens when England get hammered again at international level? Call for the PL to be reduced to 12 teams!?

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No thanks. Best part of Christmas is the mental football period and the fact there's a game or two on every day. England won't win a tournament regardless.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That makes no sense whatsoever, Ross Barkley isn't going to be a better player because he has 10 days off early January.

If you're normal to lower premier league club knocked out of the league cup early doors after playing your second team, same with the FA Cup you'll play what 42 games at most spread out over god knows how long.

It's already $$$$ enough when you don't play for 2 weeks because England play San Marino followed by Luxembourg.

I don't care about england players. I'm on about the overall standard of football played.

Players being a bit fitter and rested. The better

M

MonkeySpanner

Let them play over Christmas and have a break afterwards.

B

Benson

1st and 4th weekend in January FA Cup, 2nd and 3rd they rest if not replays in the FA Cup which can be scheduled 2nd weekend. Something like that?

Can maybe accept it but still dont like it..

Qoute myself and edit: The 3rd weekend could be used as an extra weekend for teams with game in hand. Would be like this:

1st weekend: FA Cup 3rd round (rest for L1/L2 clubs not playing)
2nd weekend: Rest for all clubs, except the ones with a FA Cup replay
3rd weekend: Rest for all clubs, except the ones with a game in hand
4th weekend: League game for L1/L2, rest for CS/PL, or FA Cup 4th round

If they do something like that, I would actually call it a good solution. FA Cup replays on a weekend instead of a Tuesday, league tables with less mix of played games (less extra games in April vs a team with nothing to play for)

Last edited by a moderator:

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Footballers being asked to play football, what next aye? It'll be no time before they do away with FA Cup replays altogether too. Remember when the Carling cup or its namesake was 2 legged each round? How did we cope?

The only people who moan about this are the likes of Wenger who's players are made out of paper.

Back
Top Bottom