Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wing/Wing Back Combinations

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've seen quite a large number of different combinations now down the right and left between the wingback (or full back) and the winger or wide forward this season. A lot of those combinations just don't seem to have quite worked for me (Traore/Semedo for example), and a big part of our struggles this season have been that we have lost an element of our attacking play down the right and left and the combinations have not been as effective as perhaps Jonny/Jota & Traore/Doherty (arguably) were...

I felt we'd lost a bit of our attacking play and goal source in these areas, again Raul's absence has a roll here as he knitted a lot of our wing play, as did Moutinho who hasn't been as close to these areas as perhaps was previously... and also time played together a big factor to get an understanding

Do most think that we now have two combinations down either flank, in Jonny/Traore on the left & Semedo/Neto on the right, that has looked as good as anything we have had down the wings this season and we are now looking at threat in that area of the pitch again?

I know Jonny's return is a huge part of this, and his give and go's make him so easy to play with down the left, but also Semedo and Neto seemed to enjoy playing with one another more than anyone else so far... Neto playing in Semedo for that 1st half chance being the prime example and I think we are now starting to look more dangerous in wide areas than we have since last season and I think its key we keep those two combinations going as much as possible for the remainder of this season

Anyone disagree and feel there's better wide combinations available to us than what we started with against Leeds?

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've seen quite a large number of different combinations now down the right and left between the wingback (or full back) and the winger or wide forward this season. A lot of those combinations just don't seem to have quite worked for me (Traore/Semedo for example), and a big part of our struggles this season have been that we have lost an element of our attacking play down the right and left and the combinations have not been as effective as perhaps Jonny/Jota & Traore/Doherty (arguably) were...

I felt we'd lost a bit of our attacking play and goal source in these areas, again Raul's absence has a roll here as he knitted a lot of our wing play, as did Moutinho who hasn't been as close to these areas as perhaps was previously... and also time played together a big factor to get an understanding

Do most think that we now have two combinations down either flank, in Jonny/Traore on the left & Semedo/Neto on the right, that has looked as good as anything we have had down the wings this season and we are now looking at threat in that area of the pitch again?

I know Jonny's return is a huge part of this, and his give and go's make him so easy to play with down the left, but also Semedo and Neto seemed to enjoy playing with one another more than anyone else so far... Neto playing in Semedo for that 1st half chance being the prime example and I think we are now starting to look more dangerous in wide areas than we have since last season and I think its key we keep those two combinations going as much as possible for the remainder of this season

Anyone disagree and feel there's better wide combinations available to us than what we started with against Leeds?
think those are the combos to go with at least for the next few games

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
think those are the combos to go with at least for the next few games
For sure. I like the extra cover Jonny gives Traore, and we avoid Traore and Semedo seemingly getting in each others way... Neto's extra guile and touch works better with Semedo

We may well see Traore running across the pitch a hell of a lot for the remainder of the season, which teams may figure out, but it resulted in the goal last night

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The wide forwards playing a little more narrow definitely helps, and that naturally happens with them “inverted” .
Obviously Jonny is very much first choice but I also think RAN (or vinagre!) would work well with space to drive down the outside of a left sided Traore.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The wide forwards playing a little more narrow definitely helps, and that naturally happens with them “inverted” .
Obviously Jonny is very much first choice but I also think RAN (or vinagre!) would work well with space to drive down the outside of a left sided Traore.
Its a good point, Traore inverted a cutting in more centrally should, in theory, leave space in behind him as he moves across and takes defenders with him, for the more attack minded wing backs, like RAN in particular, to take advantage

Perhaps anther reason I thought RAN looked good when he came on last night for Marcal

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its a good point, Traore inverted a cutting in more centrally should, in theory, leave space in behind him as he moves across and takes defenders with him, for the more attack minded wing backs, like RAN in particular, to take advantage

Perhaps anther reason I thought RAN looked good when he came on last night for Marcal
Exactly.
And if the wide forwards are inverted it’s got to be good to have a correct footed wingback outside them.

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In all honesty I think whoever is on the same flank as traore is on for a bit of frustration. He still needs to work on picking a pass, looking for an overlapping runner and when to pass instead of running with the ball.

As exciting as it can be to see him go from stood still to lay on the floor after the 4th defender says going past 3 is enough, it can be more effective at opening teams up to play a couple of passes.

Back
Top Bottom