Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Will our season fizzle out?

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Attack and defence are I depedent of each other. If you carry a big punch people are less inclined to punch you. If you carry no threat they feel confident to attack you.
If Cov had Neto, Hwang & Cunha to worry about on the counter they’d barely have risked an attack.
Exactly the point I made today, to a couple of Cov supporting mates.
I'd argue that even having one of those, particularly Neto, would've occupied and pinned their back line back another 5-10 yards.
Coventry knew full well that we posed zero threat with regards to pace going forwards on Saturday, and fair play to them, they took full advantage.
You only have to beat what's in front of you.

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
This season:

Cunha 18 G/A
Neto 13 G/A
Hwang 13 G/A
Bellegarde 3 G/A
Dawson 2 G/A

Nearly 50 G/A altogether. As a team we’ve scored 58 goals this season, so you’re looking a massive chunk of our goal threat gone.

Thank you. Appreciate you taking the time to run the numbers.

It's clearly enormously impactful to our chances to win games, not simply because the goals are removed -- we've managed to somehow score ok without them -- it's also the disruption to the rest of the team (moving RAN & Lemina forward etc) eroding the solidity of how we defend best as a cohesive unit.

Last edited:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Attack and defence arent indepedent of each other. If you carry a big punch people are less inclined to punch you. If you carry no threat they feel confident to attack you.
If Cov had Neto, Hwang & Cunha to worry about on the counter they’d barely have risked an attack.

Yes, I agree. Though in this case, for our 2 late conceded goals, it wouldn't mattewr if we had Haaland and Lewendoski on the pitch, the defending was so shambolic. Yes, the weak attack was a factor in Cov taking the game to us. However, we were 2-1 in the lead on 90 minutes. They would have risked attacks because they would have had to. To win that match at that point didn't need any of those 3. it needed defensive organisation, concentration and determination. We had none of them. I agree with your point as a reason for not playing well and losing 1-0 or 2-0. What has annoyed me is that despite all that, we couldn't do the basics of defending. And looked sorry for ourselves for most of the match.

If you carry a big punch, you'll still get hit if you drop your arms to the sides pathetically and turn your back!

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No surprise here.

The Titanic could withstand the loss of 4 watertight compartments, but not 5.

Since Christmas we've lost 5 strikers, plus Bellagarde. We then pinned our hopes on Fraser as the rescue vessel.

And no Kate Winslet either.

Millsywolf22

Groupie
Reaction score
Think this has been answered now.

Injuries are one thing but game management, tactics, naivety are another.

It’s been a good season but it’s over now.
Be careful speaking the truth you get linched in here for that. I agree but the manager and players deserve better for what they have done this season than leaving them short like this

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All over now. Cunha is way off the pace, so we'll still be in the same attacking hole we've been in for weeks now at Forest. Then Arsenal, so optimism turns to some sort of reality as a mid-table finish is on the cards. Better than we could have hoped for in August but injuries have robbed us of a chance of Europe.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
13th nailed on now, frustrating but preventable if we'd acted in January.

Just need to make sure we start afresh in the summer and not allow this sort of form (I'm projecting here a bit but assuming that the rest of the season will be a huge struggle too) to carry on into the next season, like it did under Lage.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No surprise here.

The Titanic could withstand the loss of 4 watertight compartments, but not 5.

Since Christmas we've lost 5 strikers, plus Bellagarde. We then pinned our hopes on Fraser as the rescue vessel.

And no Kate Winslet either.
And in December with had 2 extra strikers . Self inflicted wounds .

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been done to death but I still struggle with us coming out of the January window actually weaker in the squad than we went into it. Injuries have been unlucky, of course, but planning for the worst case is part and parcel of the management of any business, not just football.

Of course it is what it is and we can’t change it and I’m sure a few weeks after the season I will look back and go “ok, all in all we made great progress this season” but at the moment it’s leaving a bad taste knowing we’ve wasted an opportunity.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fizzled out under JL Lage and now Gaz unfortunately the mentality of the players, var, injuries. Every excuse we have the same season on season. We are just a 40pt club these days happy with making up the numbers. Doesn’t help the league is corrupt

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What an anti climax.
Chance of 7th and injuries , poor performances and a lack of squad depth of quality ( thanks Jeff) has seen us stumble to a finish of around 12th if we are lucky

Will they learn?
Will they ****

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What an anti climax.
Chance of 7th and injuries , poor performances and a lack of squad depth of quality ( thanks Jeff) has seen us stumble to a finish of around 12th if we are lucky

Will they learn?
Will they ****
No they won’t. More of the same next season. Except it will cost you more to be part of it

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After the Nuno glory seasons 12th/13th seems now to be our natural home. Lose to B'mouth and 13th looks likely to be where we will finish this season.

LosgallardosWolf

Reaction score
Don’t think the question is will it, it already has. I honestly can’t seeing us win again this season, injuries and players running on fumes. Fosun need to invest this summer, not silly money but decent players and keep the core of the current team together ñ.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That 5 minute spell against Coventry ended our season

I think we may win one, draw one lose 3, from what i expected, and where the board has left the squad it’s a miracle. GON is a great manager, we score more goals and we at least try and attack, that’s all we ask

Now we need the board to not strip the squad, sell one, a few squad players, and hope Hobbs has 5 more Gomes type signings up his sleeve. Another season of Gomes and he will be off for major major money

LosgallardosWolf

Reaction score
Listening to the game tonight here in Spain it’s obvious our season is done. I cannot see whrrr the next points are coming from. Fosun need to take a long look at themselves and what they want in the summer, whether that’s invest, sell or whatever. GON needs backing or sacking ( I think the bloke is great btw) things have gone very stale

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let’s hope this relegation form doesn’t run into the first ten games or so from August
I’m massively worried about this. Raised concerns after Lage’s season falling off a cliff and got largely dismissed; going in to a summer break off the back of relegation form can be like a cancer running through the club.

Wolves4Life85

Groupie
Reaction score
Manager needs to kop on with his tactics. Completely got it wrong tonight, whether we have players or not. I think him being linked with clubs is affecting his decisions. Hobsy has a lot to do this summer and agree fosun need to decide what they want to do going forward..back someone or sell up. I think they themselves have gone stale, time for changes.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not going to get more than 1 point from remaining games so might as well rest first 11 (or what we have left of it) and play kids and squad players. Jeff can give a refund to season ticket holders for the remaining games in recognition of how ****e it's gone... (I'm joking, I think...)

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
I’m massively worried about this. Raised concerns after Lage’s season falling off a cliff and got largely dismissed; going in to a summer break off the back of relegation form can be like a cancer running through the club.
Have a feeling the personnel will be very different start of season. This one can't finish quickly enough for me. After the Chelsea demolition, oh how we all dreamt. Squad depth (death) has killed us.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Probably not in the right mood after that debacle we just saw, but I suddenly became aware of that tonight, watching us. Thing is, every one of those players is better than we saw tonight and have seen in general for weeks. Got to wonder what's going on. I think it is tactical problems rather than morale, but keep playing like that and morale will collapse too. Pretty much what happened in the Bruno season.

I'm still not convinced GON is all there with regard to tactics and maybe it's his man management that got a lot of effort out of the players to compensate.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have a feeling the personnel will be very different start of season. This one can't finish quickly enough for me. After the Chelsea demolition, oh how we all dreamt. Squad depth (death) has killed us.

The problem is that key players from when we were at our best are all strongly likely to depart. At least if we keep playing like tonight, we'll get another season out of RAN, Cunha and Gomes!

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not comparing the jobs they’ve done as they both started from different places in terms of the squad/club they inherited BUT… the parallels between this season and Lage’s season are really ****ing freaky.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its all fallen apart. Really sad but entirely predictable. Hope they dont make the same mistakes next season with squad depth. I'm not holding my breath!

John Wolves Fan

Groupie
Reaction score
We really miss Neto and Dawson so if we finish 14th he’ll have no complaints from me and he has steered us to safety comfortably which seems a good achievement given some of the predictions when he joined.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are quickly heading from a good season to one where we finish above three of the worst promoted sides ever, two sides with points deductions and Brentford - pretty much the bare minimum. On top of that knocked out of both cups by Championship teams and rumours about another fire sale going into summer. A positive season is ending in the most negative way possible.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not comparing the jobs they’ve done as they both started from different places in terms of the squad/club they inherited BUT… the parallels between this season and Lage’s season are really ****ing freaky.

Seeing Bournemouth players celebrate like they'd won the league was like that Arsenal match 2 seasons ago where they did the same also after a 1-0 win. They had a player sent off too. And we were mostly dreadful.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't like people saying we're on the beach (not that loads are, tbf).

We're losing games because the team is poor.

For the last 6/7 games, we've selected sides that are among the worst in the league. So, we've had results that are among the worst in the league.

It's really that simple. It's no lack of effort.

Last edited:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Manager needs to kop on with his tactics. Completely got it wrong tonight, whether we have players or not. I think him being linked with clubs is affecting his decisions. Hobsy has a lot to do this summer and agree fosun need to decide what they want to do going forward..back someone or sell up. I think they themselves have gone stale, time for changes.
I presume Fosun decided what they want about 7 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom