Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Will our season fizzle out?

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This thread contains comments that we've seen many times this season, only for the team to somehow rally and surprise us. However, this time I think it's for real. We are basically stringing a matchday squad together with players out of position, players running on empty and kids being asked to do things they aren't ready for. Cunha returning would give us a huge lift, but probably not enough to lift the gloom of a demoralising defeat in the manner of yesterday, and whilst granted we have beaten some of the bigger teams in the division this season, the element of surprise only gets you so far - eventually they learn lessons, and the greater resources available to them nullify your advantage.

Comparisons to Nuno's side after the Semi-Final (which picked up 10 out of 18 available points after defeat) were inevitable due to the nature of it, but that team wasn't decimated by injury, had prime Jimenez and Jota available and still lost the following fixture 3-1 to a very average Southampton side.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think he knows the answer, because we have 3/4 injured, because we've let 3 go out on loan, because we couldn't afford/get the right deal done in Jan. I think GON is smart enough to know the club will only move forwards, if they work together, he doesn't come across as a divisive character, he's also smart enough to know in a war with the board there's only 1 winner.
Of course. As I said, he is subtler than many give him credit for. Who says he is divisive? Not me. But he knows the club as a whole will have to up their game to move forward, and that includes parts of the club (like player recruitment and retention) over which he has no control. He is dropping hints.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course. As I said, he is subtler than many give him credit for. Who says he is divisive? Not me. But he knows the club as a whole will have to up their game to move forward, and that includes parts of the club (like player recruitment and retention) over which he has no control. He is dropping hints.
Making veiled criticisms of the board or hints could be interpreted as divisive. I don't think he was being subtle, or clever or hinting, there were no hidden meanings. All he was saying was don't criticise the players, it's not their fault, we're in the position we're in.

I'm pretty sure Shi, Hobbs and GON are fairly unified on what's required within the constraints that we have.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It sounds sensationalist after yesterday’s disappointment but I do suspect what could have been a VERY impressive season will likely end up just a solid one, but still one we should be proud of based on what we thought was likely to be a relegation fight.

I looked at the bench we selected yesterday and was alarmed at how little there was there in terms of reinforcements for such a key match, a huge one in our fairly recent history.

Just think we’re going to end up hobbling over the line, the odd solid performance. But I just can’t see us battling on to a European place, sadly.

But, my word what a refreshing and positive season this has turned out to be after what we all feared.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It sounds sensationalist after yesterday’s disappointment but I do suspect what could have been a VERY impressive season will likely end up just a solid one, but still one we should be proud of based on what we thought was likely to be a relegation fight.

I looked at the bench we selected yesterday and was alarmed at how little there was there in terms of reinforcements for such a key match, a huge one in our fairly recent history.

Just think we’re going to end up hobbling over the line, the odd solid performance. But I just can’t see us battling on to a European place, sadly.

But, my word what a refreshing and positive season this has turned out to be after what we all feared.
That's balanced. I just think that a team that's in its sixth season in the PL and sitting 9th shouldn't have a weaker bench than a Championship playoff contender.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I'm honest the news about Neto perhaps signals that we will probably end now up 11th or 12th rather than 7th-9th. Having Cunha back will help things but being so lightweight up top will be difficult. I'd have taken 11th or 12th when GON walked through the door!

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, rant away, it's basically the only point in being on here on a day like today. We can all vent a bit and feel just as disappointed, but a bit less angry.

Now I'm older I find it a bit easier to have a bit of perspective though, which is ironic really as while the kids might see us win something one day, many on here are wondering if they'll ever see it again.
Its a good point. Yesterday's game needs to be put into perspective. In 100 years time we will all be dead, our houses and all our possessions will be sold, and if there is anyone left on this planet they won't remember us. I feel a lot better now thanks.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Knowing our luck we will finish 8th, England will get the extra spot in Europe, all set to book our flights and hail King Gary.

Then Coventry will win the cup next day and take the spot in Europe.
Coventry will not win the FA Cup. Their only hope of even getting to the final is if Leicester beat Chelsea today and they are drawn against Cov in the semi. If that's what happens and they were to beat Leicester, they will get battered by whoever the opponent is in the final out of City, Liverpool or Man U.

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Squad depth was a big factor and that, at least in part, is due to poor past recruitment and the financial consequences.

Its not just the lack of numbers , the balance of the squad is all wrong ...No recognised back up striker , just one out and out attacking winger (who is injury prone) , and no one really who can come on and impact on a game when needed ( Traore or Podence type) . Irony is we already have players better than we have on our bench ....... but they are all out on loan ! ....Madness

When our first 15 are all fully fit and on it we can compete with most teams , but that's never going to be the case over a season .......Even the likes of Fulham & Bournmouth have stronger squads in terms of experience and cover for each position .....

No wonder GON keeps calling it a 'Group' and not a squad .

colincameron

Reaction score
Coventry will not win the FA Cup. Their only hope of even getting to the final is if Leicester beat Chelsea today and they are drawn against Cov in the semi. If that's what happens and they were to beat Leicester, they will get battered by whoever the opponent is in the final out of City, Liverpool or Man U.
Tongue was firmly in cheek as a worse case possible chain of events following the complete disaster we experienced at the hands of Cov yesterday... and how they could (theoretically) still inflict further pain (nightmarishly). Of course I largely agree with you but stranger things have happened than Coventry winning the FA Cup.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Cunha can play the rest of the season we'll have a threat again. We have to get RAN to also attack even if he has the Neto position.

People need to keep some perspective though, in August I'd have bitten your hand off for a boring mid-table finish.
I’d play RAN as a forward with Bueno at LWB.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Knowing our luck we will finish 8th, England will get the extra spot in Europe, all set to book our flights and hail King Gary.

Then Coventry will win the cup next day and take the spot in Europe.
Well it would be 6 days later with our season ending on May 19th and the Cup Final on May 25th :p

Obs let’s hope that doesn’t happen.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Liverpool and City yes.

Man U are very beatable by any of the top 30 teams in England

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its not just the lack of numbers , the balance of the squad is all wrong ...No recognised back up striker , just one out and out attacking winger (who is injury prone) , and no one really who can come on and impact on a game when needed ( Traore or Podence type) . Irony is we already have players better than we have on our bench ....... but they are all out on loan ! ....Madness

When our first 15 are all fully fit and on it we can compete with most teams , but that's never going to be the case over a season .......Even the likes of Fulham & Bournmouth have stronger squads in terms of experience and cover for each position .....

No wonder GON keeps calling it a 'Group' and not a squad .

It was our defending that lost us the match. Poor defensively as a team, that is. Hard to single out individuals as it was across the whole team. Coventry's second goal - there were other unmarked opponents he could have set up, we were all over the place. Third goal no better. It's strange as we know these same players can defend a lot better than that, against better opponents - if they put their mind to it.

A day later ,and hearing the post match excuses, seems to me we had a team that had been well prepared with excuses for failure all week. Feeling sorry for themselves, knowing that even if we won, we'd be facing a Big 6 team in the semi-, also with all of our forwards missing. Looked like it from the start. Didn't really want it that much.

Of course, you could link that indirectly to not buying more players. But rarely does a manager ever say he has more than enough players and doesn't want any more? It's never enough and never will be. We still had the players to win the match - and were winning 2-1 on 90 minutes. Wrong mentality lost it. Yes, we have injuries and small squad, but those final 9 minutes had little to do with that. Why no Troare on, for example? There were plenty of things we could have done better, but for some reason, it was pretty much absent on the day. Almost as if GON feels that winning would have masked problems and meant cuts in the summer again.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Giving 'the kids a game' will end up being more damaging than productive. You need to be very special, a one in 5 year sort of player to be premierleague ready straight out of Academy. Our Academy is decent, but not a constant generator of premier league players good.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it’s more to do with our remaining fixtures. Arsenal, City and Liverpool in 3 of our last 4 fixtures means we have to be virtually perfect in all of the games that we are expected to win (or on paper are 50/50). Don’t have the depth in forward positions to do that.
Sadly, I have to agree. We are not consistent enough, even with our 'best' players available to win the number of matches for us to finish in the top 7 or 8. With the injuries, the inconsistecy, the squad depth and those 3 games we still have to play, I don't think we have a hope in hell.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yea I think with the remaining fixtures, the injuries, the thin squad and the apparent tiredness of the fit players I can unfortunately see us petering out. Hope I’m wrong and the lads can find another gear but I’m struggling to see any other outcome than mid table at the moment - which isn’t a terrible season, just a little disappointing from a “what might have been”.

Hopefully the wheels don’t come off completely and we carry some kind of confidence into the summer, unlike Lage’s second season.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just after today for me it has a feel of Lage's. We can see the summit but we keep tripping.
This. We've been winning but performances (Burnley, Blades, Fulham etc) have not been convincing, just as they weren't under Lage. Can GON keep the squad's morale together for the rest of the season ? If he can, will he prove himself to be a good manager once he has brought in players of his choosing over the summer ?

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
H - West Ham, Bournemouth, Arsenal, Palace and Luton
A - Villa, Forest, City, Burnley, Liverpool

Full side and lots of opps to get points. Maybe 15+.

No strikers and suddenly points feel tricky. You could put a case for losing all 5 away games (Forest and Burnley fighting relegation) and so struggling to reach 50 points.

As ever will be good weeks and bad weeks. Top half would be a major success. Fall away and finish 12th still a great season compared to pre-season expectations.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Small squad,injuries is exactly what he says, an accumulation of things
We have been lucky really thats its been one or at worst two players missing most of the season its just bad luck we have had them all at once
Its not just injuries though. The remaining fit players are exhausted.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its a good point. Yesterday's game needs to be put into perspective. In 100 years time we will all be dead, our houses and all our possessions will be sold, and if there is anyone left on this planet they won't remember us. I feel a lot better now thanks.
Shouldn't this be on the 'Nihilistic philosophies' thread ?

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will do well to win 3 of the ten remaining. But with Cunha and Ait-Nouri in your team anything is possible. Bellegarde needs to step up too and be played in his proper position in central midfield or out wide if noone else is available.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Enso will be in the squad when he is fit, which should be after the International break. Not saying he is ready but he will be in and around the group now.

Wellington Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
It was our defending that lost us the match. Poor defensively as a team, that is. Hard to single out individuals as it was across the whole team. Coventry's second goal - there were other unmarked opponents he could have set up, we were all over the place. Third goal no better. It's strange as we know these same players can defend a lot better than that, against better opponents - if they put their mind to it.

A day later ,and hearing the post match excuses, seems to me we had a team that had been well prepared with excuses for failure all week. Feeling sorry for themselves, knowing that even if we won, we'd be facing a Big 6 team in the semi-, also with all of our forwards missing. Looked like it from the start. Didn't really want it that much.

Of course, you could link that indirectly to not buying more players. But rarely does a manager ever say he has more than enough players and doesn't want any more? It's never enough and never will be. We still had the players to win the match - and were winning 2-1 on 90 minutes. Wrong mentality lost it. Yes, we have injuries and small squad, but those final 9 minutes had little to do with that. Why no Troare on, for example? There were plenty of things we could have done better, but for some reason, it was pretty much absent on the day. Almost as if GON feels that winning would have masked problems and meant cuts in the summer again.
I agree. The warning signs were there against Fulham, who with a decent striker would have punished us.

We saw why Lenima isn't a left winger on that display. Edit. Cov not Fulham when he was immense

A game finally too far for us.

What I didn't agree though is these next games aren't important. Question marks on Bueno x 2, Kilman and many other so this is their chance

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree. The warning signs were there against Fulham, who with a decent striker would have punished us.

We saw why Lenima isn't a left winger on that display. Edit. Cov not Fulham when he was immense

A game finally too far for us.

What I didn't agree though is these next games aren't important. Question marks on Bueno x 2, Kilman and many other so this is their chance
Still a performance so bad from Mario I didn´t thought I´d ever see.
Out of position yes,but I mean..even the most basic things he couldn´t do.
It was surprisingly bad..I´d rate his performance against Coventry 1 out of then and he should have been subbed instead of Tommy Doyle.
Water under the bridge now I guess..

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
To the quality of Cunha, Dawson, Neto, and Hwang and the importance they have to the team?

Even if you apply a Championship/ PL handicap I bet they don’t come close.
they had two injuries sakamoto 2 goals and Jamie Allen 0 goals

We had cunha 9 goals, Hwang 11 goals, Neto 2 goals, bellegarde 2 goals, Dawson 1 goal

But Coventry had injuries :) :)

Back
Top Bottom