Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Will our season fizzle out?

TriumphWolf

Reaction score
They are all professionals, I’m anticipating another 3 wins or so, therefore finishing somewhere in the 50-52 point range. Given the uncertainty of where we began the campaign, I’d see that as a good season.

djmikeydickens

Reaction score
I think it will fizzle out now. With all the attacking options out it's going to be tough to win matches and make Europe. But from what we thought my happen we would of all taken this season before a ball was kicked

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It depends how quickly we can get at least one of neto or cunha back fit and firing I’d say? Not exactly expecting a grandstand finish if yesterday is anything to go by though.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree, although the back 2/3 of our team should have been OK. that's why I said rant away, people will write angry rubbish and feel a tiny bit better for it. I've just read that one of the good things about today is that Hobbs will see we need to get rid of Semedo - I mean I hope that's a poster who had a few beers after the game!
Any high profile loss, seem like a perfect time to get your old prejudices out. Whether it be Shi, Gon, Semedo, Kilman even RAN.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, it's season over given our injury list. Give a few kids a game, don't flog anybody to the point of getting seriously injured for the start of next season, try and pinch a couple of wins and edge towards 50 points.

If we can somehow mess up Villa's and Liverpool's seasons then that would be a bonus. On a general level I'll be voyeuristically excited to see either Arteta or Klopp in tears and West Brom failing to get promoted - preferably in the playoff final.

I feel like I can relax and look forward to the closed season as we watch our squad develop further into the image of Gary O'Neil. He's done an immense job and I'm sure he'll be backed with the bulk of whatever money comes in from sales.

I'm already confident that next season will be a huge success.
That's pretty much how I feel. Relax and enjoy the rest of the season. Hopefully see Forest go down, watch Albion fail in the play offs, and see Klopp cry as we score a last minute equaliser at Anfield to deny them the league title.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Without naming names, GON didn't mince his words yesterday about who ultimately is responsible for the lack of depth in the squad. I think he needs to be careful what he says if he doesn't want to find himself out of a job. Shi must be feeling the heat. It could be a him or me scenario for Shi with Fosun, who knows.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Without naming names, GON didn't mince his words yesterday about who ultimately is responsible for the lack of depth in the squad. I think he needs to be careful what he says if he doesn't want to find himself out of a job. Shi must be feeling the heat. It could be a him or me scenario for Shi with Fosun, who knows.
If they got rid of GON, Shi would come to a maximum of 2 wolves games again the abuse he would get

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely a thanks and wishing you all the best for the future Jeff in that case? But more likely we’d end up with Lage mk 2 next season in reality?

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good to see GON call it out, to be honest. Probably not the wisest move on his part, but may feel like he has enough credit in the bank now to be a bit bold.

That forward line and bench for a side that's been in the PL for over half a decade was a disgrace. Speaks to how poorly the club has been run since COVID really.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is seventh place to play for. That would represent a very good season. Why would the season fizzle out because we lost a cup game. If anything it should make Gary O’Neil and the players even more determined to bounce back.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Put it this way, GON came in with precious little expectations and over performed. If he ends up leaving due to lack of backing - and arguably he would then be the fourth head coach in a row to do so - then God only knows who they'd get in to do the job. How the players would react is another interesting issue.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it will fizzle out now. With all the attacking options out it's going to be tough to win matches and make Europe. But from what we thought my happen we would of all taken this season before a ball was kicked
Before a ball was kicked this season, if someone had said to me we'd play a Middling Championship side at home in the Cup and be effectively outplayed, out fought and out thought and that we'd have 4 full backs finishing the game, one of whom would be our main (only) source of attack - I definitely wouldn't have taken that.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Before a ball was kicked this season, if someone had said to me we'd play a Middling Championship side at home in the Cup and be effectively outplayed, out fought and out thought and that we'd have 4 full backs finishing the game, one of whom would be our main (only) source of attack - I definitely wouldn't have taken that.
We had Neto, Cunha, Bellegarde, Hwang all out, no one would choose that.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be lucky to see Hwang or Neto again this season I reckon, and thats certainly not going to help

Attachments

• IMG_2057.jpeg
    IMG_2057.jpeg
    487 KB · Views: 45

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can someone post a link to the comment, I can't see anything that GON said that was that bad.
Yes would love to see this too.

To be fair it’s about time he said something.

He will no doubt feel the ‘culture’ of his employer for daring to speak against categorical corporate propaganda (CCP)

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately i was correct with my guess at Neto being out till last 2 games at best,and yes i do think the season will end poorly
Then again ive never expected more than 50 points ,and compared to what i expected at the start of the season its like winning the title lol
We have some winnable games at home but a pretty terrible list away
If we get 3 more wins ill be more than happy and who knows maybe a shock win at one of the top 3 will give us all a lift

LosgallardosWolf

Reaction score
Hope it won’t fizzle out, I hope this spurs the lads on to try their hardest and get a European spot. At the end of the day considering what we thought or were being told at the start of the season it’s been ok. Also I don’t care as long as we beat the vile.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can someone post a link to the comment, I can't see anything that GON said that was that bad.
Can't find the clip on the internet but it was there yesterday. This is a quote taken from it:

“Today is just an accumulation of where the club has ended up. It is what it is. You can’t criticise the players and anyone who wants to blame the players for today is miles off in their opinion. The players gave everything. We have one senior attacker fit at a Premier League football club, which makes it tough."

Later on he says:

“The Premier League is going to be really tough, from this moment on. I spoke about how big the Fulham win was. We’ve got no attackers. We’ve got Pablo Sarabia.

“It’s going to be really tough to win Premier League games because we’re going to go to Aston Villa and they’re going to have Ollie Watkins, they’re going to have Bailey, Ramsey, Zaniolo coming off the bench, they’re going to have Tielemans.

“It’s going to be a tough spell, but we’re going to have to fight, we’re going to have to scrap, and I hope the fans understand that. The result is definitely not down to the players and how they performed. The players gave absolutely everything today and we were just not good enough today.”

Last edited:

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't find the clip on the internet but it was there yesterday. This is a quote taken from it:

“Today is just an accumulation of where the club has ended up. It is what it is. You can’t criticise the players and anyone who wants to blame the players for today is miles off in their opinion. The players gave everything. We have one senior attacker fit at a Premier League football club, which makes it tough."
Yeah I saw that, it's on the official site, I really can't see anyone in the hierarchy seeing this as a criticism of them, we could have signed another two attackers and they could be injured too. It's just a statement of where we are as a club as far as I can see, if GON is spoken to about this it would be a joke.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score

Later on he says:

“The Premier League is going to be really tough, from this moment on. I spoke about how big the Fulham win was. We’ve got no attackers. We’ve got Pablo Sarabia.

“It’s going to be really tough to win Premier League games because we’re going to go to Aston Villa and they’re going to have Ollie Watkins, they’re going to have Bailey, Ramsey, Zaniolo coming off the bench, they’re going to have Tielemans.

“It’s going to be a tough spell, but we’re going to have to fight, we’re going to have to scrap, and I hope the fans understand that. The result is definitely not down to the players and how they performed. The players gave absolutely everything today and we were just not good enough today.”
I’ve gotta be honest I can’t fault O’Neil with his comments. He’s a top bloke.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that, it's on the official site, I really can't see anyone in the hierarchy seeing this as a criticism of them, we could have signed another two attackers and they could be injured too. It's just a statement of where we are as a club as far as I can see, if GON is spoken to about this it would be a joke.
Absolutely agree
He has said nothing that he hasnt already spoken about
Small squad,injuries is exactly what he says, an accumulation of things
We have been lucky really thats its been one or at worst two players missing most of the season its just bad luck we have had them all at once
You can criticise the club for not getting players in, but we all know where we are with the finances,and so does GON ,as he did when he joined
We are where we are, at least we are safe and have had a decent season so far

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Gary is subtler than you think. He is begging the question 'why have we only got one fit senior attacker at a PL club?' Not at the Dog and Duck football club, at a PL club. One implied answer is 'because of inadequate recruitment'. He ain't going to put it like that, but that's one obvious interpretation.

Wignall 3-0

Groupie
Reaction score
With Cunha, Bellegarde and Dawson due back for the Villa game there is no reason why we should not continue to pick up points. Burnley, Bournemouth, Luton, Forest, West Ham, Palace all realistically winable games. But the desire, attitude and composure has to be there.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With such a decimated squad and inexperienced bench, the thought of Europe imv is fast becoming a pipedream.
Now that we're relatively safe, I would have one eye on next season and start to give the bench players and those drafted in due to injuries more playing time so there's will be a clear picture of of our strengths and weaknesses.
Using Cunha as an example, It's not worth risking players who are not fully fit or who may be subject to a big money move in the close season.
To answer the original question, who knows if the season will fizzle out, but right now my expectations are not let's say not very high.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In terms of attitude, belief effort, or quality from the players we have fit then no I think they will keep going to the end. The injuries inevitably weaken us though and will make it more difficult to get results. In terms of pushing on to finish in a European qualifying place the odds are against us unless we get a few back from injury and don’t lose any more.
Whatever happens between now and the end of season we will finish in a better position than most of us thought at the start of the season

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I believe 8th makes Europe this year because of England's performance in Europe getting us a potential extra place in The UCL.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Gary is subtler than you think. He is begging the question 'why have we only got one fit senior attacker at a PL club?' Not at the Dog and Duck football club, at a PL club. One implied answer is 'because of inadequate recruitment'. He ain't going to put it like that, but that's one obvious interpretation.
Think he knows the answer, because we have 3/4 injured, because we've let 3 go out on loan, because we couldn't afford/get the right deal done in Jan. I think GON is smart enough to know the club will only move forwards, if they work together, he doesn't come across as a divisive character, he's also smart enough to know in a war with the board there's only 1 winner.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still a reasonable chance of 7th or 8th if we get a couple back. Wouldn't say we're favourites for those positions but still in it. As for yesterday, disappointing but if I'm honest I really doubt we'd have won the cup given the likely semi finals line up. Trip to Wembley would have been good but if you feel our injuries will derail the remainder of the league campaign then the Cup would surely be the same.
Doubt the players or GON think the season is done yet. And plenty of the sides around us still have to play the top 3.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still a reasonable chance of 7th or 8th if we get a couple back. Wouldn't say we're favourites for those positions but still in it. As for yesterday, disappointing but if I'm honest I really doubt we'd have won the cup given the likely semi finals line up. Trip to Wembley would have been good but if you feel our injuries will derail the remainder of the league campaign then the Cup would surely be the same.
Doubt the players or GON think the season is done yet. And plenty of the sides around us still have to play the top 3.
Don't we have to play the top three, too.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is definitely a real danger of that happening, with the disappointment of yesterday and the amount of injuries we have. Hopefully we have a couple back after the international break.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't we have to play the top three, too.
Yes but that's my point. Most will play 2 or 3 of them so us having to is not a huge disadvantage. For any clyb who are done with them it would be an advantage though.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A game coming up against the vile, time to stop crying and get stuck into them.

Back
Top Bottom