Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Will Nuno be ruthless in the summer?

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We suffered in the prem before when Mick stuck by 'his boys' , do we think Nuno will be prone to do the same?

I am not suggesting we have a wholesale clear out in the summer or a Fulham type spending spree ,but this squad is crying out for 3 or 4 quality players that can unlock a defence.

Costa is shot and has as much fight as a seven year old girl, I like Cav but he doesn't fit the system, Morgan Gibbs-White is a talented lad but I don't think he has the pace to really drive forward. Adama is fast but doesn't have a football brain.

I do worry Nuno will want to stick with too many of these players. So will he be too loyal?

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont get this Adama doesnt have a football brain business. He gets a lot of crosses in, only his finishing needs improving.
MGW has great talent, and more than enough pace, IMO, he just needs to run at defenders more, rather than the side pass. But maybe he’s been told to do that by Nuno. He needs shots on goal too.
Not sure on Cav. I actually have him down as cover for Jimenez.
Costa can go.

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cav & Costa need to be sold, Can see Traore being kept for another season to see if they can finally get him to click. MGW will be kept around the squad

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good question. Short answer, we just don’t know. He did say in an E&S article about seven weeks ago that he would never give up on a player but with the season nearly finished he must have, at the very least, some idea on who he wants to keep going forward.....and who to cut loose.
If you read the Mix, apparently only Raul and Jota can’t be improved upon....lol
A lot depends on who might want to buy our players that Wolves don’t want? If nobody wants them at a reasonable price and offer wages that the players agrees to, then we are stuck with them until their contract runs out.
Case in point.... if Forest don’t want Leo, can they send him back?....what’s the deal there?

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I personally don't think he was ruthless this time round.

Bonatini was luck and when the luck dried out he was exposed for being the dog**** that he always was.

We've been exceptionally fortunate that Doherty is a machine, because we've not had natural competition for 2 seasons.

Next season will be very very hard.
Far harder than this season.

We need to strip the squad of never will be's and pack it with real competition.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he will be. There is so much over reaction on here after some results its embarrassing. We dont need a clear out, we just need to keep progressing steadily. Get in a more attack minded central midfielder who can be a bit of a game changer and get a few goals, get in a better center half, and bring in another striker and i think we will be set for next year. Only other positions i'd like to see is another right wing back and maybe another attacker who could maybe fill a wide role and play up top.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont get this Adama doesnt have a football brain business. He gets a lot of crosses in, only his finishing needs improving.
He’s getting the ball into the box, but how many times is it actually to a player? It’s rarely even into a dangerous area, usually behind Raul and Jota, and whilst I do think we’re crying out for a midfielder who attacks the penalty spot, you can’t just be floating over aimless balls at this level, you need to be smarter than that.

If it wasn’t for his pace, he wouldn’t be close to the team, and by extension, what’s the point of pace if you don’t have the end product for it?

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Nuno is really ruthless, then based on recent performances he will need around a dozen new players. If we are serious about making the 'Big 6' a 'Big 7', then Nuno needs to be ruthless. If you ask yourself, who, out of our squad would be a regular starter in one of the top sides, the answer would be very few. Perhaps Moutinho, Boly and Jiminez, all based on early season form would have a chance. No others imo. This may seem harsh on the likes of Jota, Neves and Coady, but they are simply not consistent enough. So, we have 3 or 4 players who could possibly make the step up. That means we need around 7, better than what we have. That's not all going to happen in the summer transfer window, so next season, we will hopefully finish mid-table again, even if Nuno is ruthless and jettisons the likes of Cav, Costa, MGW, Traore and possibly one or two of the current starters.
At the moment, the first team is not good enough for where we aspire to be and the squad certainly isn't. I simply can't see us being able to sign sufficient quality in the next transfer window to replace a mass clear out, even less so, overhaul the squad completely. Some new additions, yes, a ruthless Nuno, not so much.

M

merseawolf

Does Nuno have much say in the recruitment or is he Head Coach?

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't think Nuno needs any lessons in ruthlessness. He has a dream and there is a project. They are one and the same.
Imho the major stumbling blocks he faces in assembling a squad good enough for regular European football, will be Fosun's willingness to invest (gamble) massive sums on players, while also funding a new stadium; FFP considerations; and combining new players into the existing nucleus - while avoiding doing a Fulham and destroying the 'esprit de corps' that brought success.

D

Deleted member 4099

I don't think Nuno needs any lessons in ruthlessness. He has a dream and there is a project. They are one and the same.
Imho the major stumbling blocks he faces in assembling a squad good enough for regular European football, will be Fosun's willingness to invest (gamble) massive sums on players, while also funding a new stadium; FFP considerations; and combining new players into the existing nucleus - while avoiding doing a Fulham and destroying the 'esprit de corps' that brought success.

Of course he doesn’t we brought excellent quality in the summer which took took the team to the level it’s been at this season. I’ve no doubt in my mind we will go again this summer and the players will be of a level of Mouthino and Raul.

As for the stadium funding it will be linked to extra revenue it will generate so shouldn’t affect investment in the team.

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
MGW has great talent, and more than enough pace, IMO, he just needs to run at defenders more, rather than the side pass. But maybe he’s been told to do that by Nuno. He needs shots on goal too.
Not sure on Cav. I actually have him down as cover for Jimenez.
Costa can go.

Isn’t that the point though? He legs it down the line and fires the ball into the box time and time again and with zero attempt to hold it up for support, pull it back, pick out a player in the box. And that’s just stupid.

But I don’t think it’s just his brain....I actually don’t think he has the ability to put a pin point cross on a strikers head. I’m in my view that makes him a sprinter and not a footballer.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone needs to go. Obviously one or two might, but we’ve got 16 outfield players, so it’s not like we’re overloaded, if we brought in 4 or 5 top class players we could easily have a squad of 21/22

jeb01

Reaction score
Yes, 4 or 5 in and a few surprises out
That would mean we end up with a similar sized squad to the one we currently have (but hopefully with an upgrade in quality overall).
However, our squad is looking increasingly threadbare as the season ends, which suggests that if, say, four go (Bonatini; Costa; Cav; Traore), and MGW out on loan, we would realistically need six or seven good quality players coming in.
That might happen, but with big expenditure due on ground expansion, I suspect we shall keep Cav, and Traore for at least another season, let two or three go, and bring in a similar number.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I fully expect these to move on

Costa (on loan) needs to find his mojo and deserves a crack a finding it but needs to be elsewhere.
MGW (on loan) needs some regular experience
CAV- just needs moving on.
Leo - should never have been kept on. I'd score with the quality behind me and standard of the opposition in front of me. Now he's lost the back up he's showing he's just not good enough at all at champ level.

Expect the likes of doc, coady, bennett to be pushed out the first 11 by new arrivals and additional quality to the midfield and forward areas.

4 out and 7 in for me

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
We've done the revolution so evolution is now a natural process with progression....there has to be some changes. It'll be tougher next season with us not an unknown entity at this level.

You can't stand still so improvements and strength in depth has to be a priority concern for the club if the necessary momentum is to be achieved and maintained. Nuno will know which players will and wont be able to offer improvement on what they have shown, just as he'll know a small squad won't cut it if there is a Euro campaign thrown into the equation with the heavy workload.

I'd expect at least 3 players in minimum. A striker, an attacking midfielder and a quality defender is probably the minimum we need to consider.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have a small squad but people want players to go? What is it then?

We need additions, not taking away from a small squad, look at the likes of Everton, West Ham, Watford, Leicester, all four have bigger squads and fantastic options, yet, we are muscling it up there with them.

We will add to this team, as we must.

jeb01

Reaction score
We have a small squad but people want players to go? What is it then
We need additions, not taking away from a small squad, look at the likes of Everton, West Ham, Watford, Leicester, all four have bigger squads and fantastic options, yet, we are muscling it up there with them.

We will add to this team, as we must.
Do you want to retain Leo Bonatini and Helda Costa then?

D

Deleted member 3573J

This time last year Costa, Cav, Saiss, Ruddy and Douglas were regulars in the team, a year later 1 has been sold and 4 others are now just backup players. That's nearly half the team so I have no worries about Nuno's ruthlessness but he's also very fair, the likes of Bonatini and Costa have had way more opportunities than their performances deserve. There's a balance to be got between ruthless and fair in order to keep a good team spirit and Nuno has got it spot on in my view. If you get that balance wrong and are too ruthless you risk the players turning against the manager.

Wolfion

Reaction score
If we were to get into Europe, with the extra games that will bring is there an argument to bring some of the loan players back into the fold to help increase squad size. The likes of Bright, Miranda etc. Who clearly aren't thought to be good enough for the Prem matches and therefore the European matches either but could help fill positions in the Cup matches.
This could free up funds for some quality players to help improve the team rather than the squad.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Think the OP has answered his own question, yes I think there will be 3 possibly 4 quality players incoming, no Nuno won't be ruthless and make wholesale changes

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think that any of our players have disgraced themselves; Costa hasn’t quite got going, Cav lacks sharpness due to limited game time, MGW is learning his craft and Adama is an enigma but might have a future; the problem is that the first choice players are so strong that the fringe players have limited minutes to make an impression.
I think given the smallness of the squad we could bring in three or four new signings without too much of a cull in this window but some will be on borrowed time.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun will be ruthless .
They didn’t buy us to come 10th next year.
Saying a player isn’t good enough today but may be tomorrow is not ruthless but wise.
There are not many players I have seen at Molineux that went on to surprise after seeing them play for a season.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Nuno is really ruthless, then based on recent performances he will need around a dozen new players. If we are serious about making the 'Big 6' a 'Big 7', then Nuno needs to be ruthless. If you ask yourself, who, out of our squad would be a regular starter in one of the top sides, the answer would be very few. Perhaps Moutinho, Boly and Jiminez, all based on early season form would have a chance. No others imo. This may seem harsh on the likes of Jota, Neves and Coady, but they are simply not consistent enough. So, we have 3 or 4 players who could possibly make the step up. That means we need around 7, better than what we have. That's not all going to happen in the summer transfer window, so next season, we will hopefully finish mid-table again, even if Nuno is ruthless and jettisons the likes of Cav, Costa, MGW, Traore and possibly one or two of the current starters.
At the moment, the first team is not good enough for where we aspire to be and the squad certainly isn't. I simply can't see us being able to sign sufficient quality in the next transfer window to replace a mass clear out, even less so, overhaul the squad completely. Some new additions, yes, a ruthless Nuno, not so much.

I've just typed the same list of untouchables as you but I've added Patricio. The rest I have to agree can be upgraded on, and probably will.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The way I see it is clever analysis will mean we buy four players that can be used to improve and adapt on the day depending on the team.

Sometimes I think we could afford to buy a lot of Cardiff type players and play them , dotted around the team , against the bottom six. Giving the better European type players some time off. But I suppose it doesn’t work like that due to team cohesion.

So the best alternative is couple physically dominant central players and a couple of flair attacking players. That could have added at least 10 points this season

Last edited:

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I personally don't think he was ruthless this time round.

Bonatini was luck and when the luck dried out he was exposed for being the dog**** that he always was.

We've been exceptionally fortunate that Doherty is a machine, because we've not had natural competition for 2 seasons.

Next season will be very very hard.
Far harder than this season.

We need to strip the squad of never will be's and pack it with real competition.

This. If Fosun's ambition is to be a top 6 team, this side is never going to get us there in terms of quality and performances so it will definitely need progressing both in new players and, perhaps, the way we play. Next season, teams will know all about us (apart from the Newbies). If we stick to more or less the same it could well be a lower end scramble all season.

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn’t be letting Traore go

I understand why people feel that way but if it was a straight option of

A) Traore

Or

B) have £18m to spend in the transfer market

Then I'd be choose option B.
I think there's better value to be had out there.

D

Deleted member 5635

Where did I say that? I said calling for xyz player to be replaced makes no sense when our downfall this year has been having such a small squad.
You said we need to add not takeaway. So that would presume keeping the two mentioned players staying not taking away as you suggested.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He will bring in around 3 first team players imo.

CB
CAM
ST

And maybe a couple of younger squad players.

ST
WB

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I understand why people feel that way but if it was a straight option of

A) Traore

Or

B) have £18m to spend in the transfer market

Then I'd be choose option B.
I think there's better value to be had out there.
Would we get £18m if we sold him?

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have a handful of guys out on loan that we will obviously try to move on.

From the actual current first team squad though I would say there is only Cav and Costa who haven’t yet shown to be a useful top 10 player at this level so I can’t see anyone else moving on they will just become back up to new additions in the summer. Perhaps Monaco will take Cav & Costa back as part of a deal for Keita Balde should Inter not buy him ;)

Back
Top Bottom