Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Why hasn't Jeff Shi raised VAR at the Premier League meetings

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So what did Webb say to him?
Not to keep criticising VAR and refs openly as it won’t do us any favours. Is what I heard off a reliable source. Which backs up why he is no longer commenting on things. Look at what he said after the game last night he didn’t. Everyone wants the standards to improve.

It’s all a very cushy club and no more shall be said for this moment

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gaz was told to be quiet by the powers that be… Howard Webb. It’s all corrupt wasting our time
Howard Webb isn't "the powers that be".

He's the head of the referees group but that group is accountable to the league in delivering quality. Riley couldn't do it and the clubs had him sacked.

Webb should be put on warning for this season.

In all honesty, I don't know why the PL doesn't just scrap VAR. It would enhance its product no end. Better atmosphere in the stadiums, less cynicism from the fans, more goals scored than the other leagues and no boring stretches of play where the action is paused for reviews, making for a much better watch for the TV fan.

And this time the narrative about mistakes would be entirely different than before. OK, the ref made a poor decision... but do we really want VAR back?

Last edited:

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Not to keep criticising VAR and refs openly as it won’t do us any favours. Is what I heard off a reliable source. Which backs up why he is no longer commenting on things. Look at what he said after the game last night he didn’t. Everyone wants the standards to improve.

The amount of stuff you 'hear' is astounding.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Who on Earth thinks Jeff Shi wants to represent Wolves fans?

I've largely come to the conclusion that it's just an employment scheme for referees. They won't scrap it because it doubles the numbers of them needed. The PL won't scrap it as it generates even more controversy and that's all good for viewing. It's just a Pandora's Box of woes that'll never go back in.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In all honesty, I don't know why the PL doesn't just scrap VAR. It would enhance its product no end. Better atmosphere in the stadiums, less cynicism from the fans, more goals scored than the other leagues and no boring stretches of play where the action is paused for reviews, making for a much better watch for the TV fan.

And this time the narrative about mistakes would be entirely different than before. OK, the ref made a poor decision... but do we really want VAR back?
As the PL now has a procedure to change the result of any game to a result that it desires why on earth would it go back to the old system ? VAR is a tool that is an absolute Godsend to the PL it is only going to get worse not better from our point of view. Ex ref Keith Hackett said on tv last week that when he was invited to the VAR bunker the VAR lot admitted that it was a flawed system and prone to mistakes and also open to interpretation depending on who was running it on the day.
VAR is now firmly imbedded in the PL and will never be scrapped.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
I only pass on what’s been said. And ask yourself why has Gary changed his tune. No smoke without fire ay it
To be fair whatever's been said, and however mad I was about another mysterious infringement disallowing our 'goal', he would have still looked like a fool moaning about it after our inept performance. What I would say is that the PGMOL, maybe through the PL, have leant on Sky to ease off the refs. Probably likewise they've persuaded the BBC that a weekly disaster show of how refereeing is ruining the game isn't in the best interests of football.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As the PL now has a procedure to change the result of any game to a result that it desires why on earth would it go back to the old system ? VAR is a tool that is an absolute Godsend to the PL it is only going to get worse not better from our point of view. Ex ref Keith Hackett said on tv last week that when he was invited to the VAR bunker the VAR lot admitted that it was a flawed system and prone to mistakes and also open to interpretation depending on who was running it on the day.
Surely if the PL was creating the results it desired you would have the two biggest clubs Liverpool and Utd winning the league every year and the likes of Bournemouth immediately relegated ahead of a club like Leeds.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While i agree that the system is flawed and open to interpretation and wont be scrapped,i dont agree the PL are using it to alter results

The whole point of VAR was to get rid of obvious errors not to re referee games and its not being used as it should be

Take last night,Cunha did throw his arm out fair enough,yellow card,but it didnt alter any stage of the passage of play
So why did VAR get involved? I gree with the yellow card but the referee should have said exactly that,yellow card but goal stands

Its re refereeing the game which they say it shouldnt do

Its not just us either every game it seems has some kind of VAR error because of the subjective nature of those using it
It wont change until referees stand up and make their own decisions not just agree when called to the monitor

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It wont change until referees stand up and make their own decisions not just agree when called to the monitor
Do you really think any referee that want's to stay in such a lucrative job will stand up to Stockley Park ?
These blokes are earning an absolute fortune and will always toe the line.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
While i agree that the system is flawed and open to interpretation and wont be scrapped,i dont agree the PL are using it to alter results

The whole point of VAR was to get rid of obvious errors not to re referee games and its not being used as it should be

Take last night,Cunha did throw his arm out fair enough,yellow card,but it didnt alter any stage of the passage of play
So why did VAR get involved? I gree with the yellow card but the referee should have said exactly that,yellow card but goal stands

Its re refereeing the game which they say it shouldnt do

Its not just us either every game it seems has some kind of VAR error because of the subjective nature of those using it
Thing for me is you can decide Cunha swung his arm back a bit dangerously, so maybe at a stretch it's a foul, but my initial reaction was that Kluivert was just charging round fouling, he'd definitely fouled Cunha first, shoving him in the back. In the crazy world they've created though England can tell Atwell that Kluivert fouls Cunha, Cunha reacts, none of it affects the game, but he should disallow the goal, book Cunha (even though they can't get involved in yellows) and give Bournemouth a free kick. Bonkers.

Edinburgh Wolf

Reaction score
Howard Webb isn't the powers that be.

He's the head of the referees group but that group is accountable to the league in delivering quality. Riley couldn't do it and the clubs had him sacked.

Webb should be put on warning for this season.

VAR is detested up here as well, with so many mistakes, hold ups in play etc completely destroying the game for fans.

The argument for why they have to keep it seems to be that, if the league doesn't have VAR, the referees are not allowed to officiate in European or International matches. The refs and the leagues obviously want to have their representatives officiating at the highest level, so VAR has got to stay, even though it's a complete ****-show and destroying the game for match going fans.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the problem is in thinking the game is for the supporters. It's not. It's to bring in advertising and sponsorship to sell products around the world. It's to sell Sky sports packages in India and China and Africa. It's to sell shirts in South Korea and Mexico. It's hardly anything to do with disgruntled fans in WV1.
Every time there is a rule change, every time there is VAR controversy; it's an opportunity for Sky and the other broadcasters to have broadcasts to discus the issues further. Every time the game lasts for 100 minutes rather than 90 minutes, it's further time for the sponsors and pitch-side advertisers to get their products in front of millions of viewers.
Why do you think American football or baseball takes so long. It's all about money and VAR enhances the opportunities for the Premier League to charge more to Sky and others. That money filters down to the likes of us, so in some ways we're complicit in the whole system.
It's money, not football integrity and has little to do with what a bunch of Wolves' fans on a forum want.

In times of yore, we had Star Soccer on a Sunday and MotD on Saturday evenings. That was it! Now, there is wall to wall Premier League coverage and consequently more opportunities for marketing and advertising. They have to fill the time with something and VAR controversies and the like just give more opportunities to fill that space.

Last edited:

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

You don’t have a reliable source.

He’s keeping quiet as it doesn’t do any good to moan, and he just gets fined.

surreywolf

Reaction score
Please could someone confirm -

1 who was on VAR against Bournemouth? Who told Attwell to go to screen

2 how many points EXACTLY have we lost to it? I made it eight until West Ham so one for that game and one for Bournemouth, so 10 now - do people concur??

surreywolf

Reaction score

2 how many points EXACTLY have we lost to it? I made it eight until West Ham so one for that game and one for Bournemouth, so 10 now - do people concur??

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Darren England.

Hard to put an exact number on it. We ultimately don't know but it's hard to say after watching the first 60 minutes that we wouldn't have still lost last night.

Clipboard

Reaction score
To be fair whatever's been said, and however mad I was about another mysterious infringement disallowing our 'goal', he would have still looked like a fool moaning about it after our inept performance. What I would say is that the PGMOL, maybe through the PL, have leant on Sky to ease off the refs. Probably likewise they've persuaded the BBC that a weekly disaster show of how refereeing is ruining the game isn't in the best interests of football.
This is my take as well about PGMOL leaning on Sky. I had the misfortune of listening to Jacqui Oatley and Dave Edwards commentating last night on what is guess is the official premier league feed. Total VAR propaganda from them to the point of nausea. Felt like something you'd get in North Korea. So obviously circling the wagons on this. PGMOL should be done for bringing the game into disrepute.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
VAR was sold to us on the basis that it would sort out the massive mistakes that got missed - the Maradona hand of god goal, the Thierry Henry handball against Ireland, etc.

Mistakes so obvious that the crowd can see them but for some reason the officials didn’t.

It wasnt supposed to be for toenail offsides, minor infringements several phases before a goal.

surreywolf

Reaction score
Thavjs
Darren England.

Hard to put an exact number on it. We ultimately don't know but it's hard to say after watching the first 60 minutes that we wouldn't have still lost last night.

Yes obviously we deserved to lose - my point is what if goal stood (and nothing else happened) - so one point lost as it would’ve been 1-1

No disputing we didn’t deserve something

The aim is to clarify a single number that can be used to support messaging - if people are saying different things, it dilutes impact

jackdusty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

1, Darren England
2, Take you pick from 6-11

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So what did Webb say to him?

It is strongly rumoured, believed and open secret that Neville and Carragher became the defenders of refs and var against valid complaints after a senior member of the PGMOL told Sky that they needed to tone it down and support them or risk losing the access they get to do programming and recordings for social media.

It is like a bloody mafia family the PGMOL

Back
Top Bottom