Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Why do we have a transfer window?

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have hardly heard support for the transfer window especially from the clubs themselves involved. In fact the opposite is quoted all the time with the downside of the window scheme.
So is this just another rule imposed on us by non football people?

leedswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A rule imposed by FIFA responding to negotiations with the EC IIRC.

P

PeteWolf

I seem to remember it being proposed/sold as bringing in stability to the clubs and stopping richer rivals from simply buying/unsettling a promotion/relegation opponents star players.

Remember the days when we were literally signing a player a week at one time under Taylor/Hayward.

Tony

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Barry Fry had a squad of about 100 - he'd get a player a day in! :D

E

Essex Wolf

Doing away with the window would do away with all the expectancy that builds each time a window opens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ulver

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doing away with the window wold do away with all the expectancy that builds each time a window opens.

So would engaging one's brain.. However your suggestion is certainly the more likely.

E

Essex Wolf

And the disappointments after. I take your point though.

I just think that supporters get excited and hopeful as to what might be and are regularly left disappointed.

Doing away with these windows would stop all that.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just think that supporters get excited and hopeful as to what might be and are regularly left disappointed.

Doing away with these windows would stop all that.
And if we didn't like it we could just tell the board to Fotheringham off.:eek:

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Surely its a restriction of trade at some level. Just condenses the problem it was seemingly supposed to solve where bigger clubs can carry higher paid players in bigger real first team squads and smaller clubs suffer from strength in depth and are more impacted from injuries.

Surely as an employee of a football club if they refuse to use me or at least name me in their 25 man squad I should be free to move to another who will at anytime in the year?

E

Essex Wolf

I have wondered about the restriction of trade issue myself SP.

B

Bankswolf II

It gives Jim White from sky sports news a purpose in life

E

Edgmond Wolf

Gives an opportunity to strengthen the team for the run in to the end of the season

Having a window also gives stability to most of the season

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely its a restriction of trade at some level. Just condenses the problem it was seemingly supposed to solve where bigger clubs can carry higher paid players in bigger real first team squads and smaller clubs suffer from strength in depth and are more impacted from injuries.

Surely as an employee of a football club if they refuse to use me or at least name me in their 25 man squad I should be free to move to another who will at anytime in the year?
No reason why it might not happen that a footballer challenges the ruling. Remember a certain man named Bosman.

W

wolfjc

Yep thats true! but at the same time there are some footballers who are happy to be sat on a contract for a few years without having to play like wayne bridge!!

C

chasman62

Would only constitute a 'restriction of trade' if the players contract had effectively expired and he was being denied the opportunity to pursue another opportunity. That is basically what happened before the Bosman ruling. You have no guarantee of being selected by the manager if you are under contract, but provided they pay you you really have no cause for legal redress.

The problem as I see it is that it condenses negotiations over players down to a few days or even hours and thus leads to a ridiculously over inflated sellers market...which results in spiralling transfer fees and wage escalation. Pretty much just a boon for the agents, and a complete nightmare for GMs, especially those of clubs like ours who are down the food chain.

IMHO the original deadline should be extended until the middle of the season sometime (presumably not longer than the European break and then that is it), and of course there should be restrictions placed on both the number and size of acquisitions that any one club can make preventing the stockpiling of talent.

Back
Top Bottom