Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Why cant we score goals ?- Poll

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not bad luck at all but deliberate and ridiculous complacency of which no other Premiership team would be so utterly stupid.
Agreed . For me it was bad planning. Most teams have goal scoring midfielders we have none ! So why then have one central striker . That combination is absolute stupidity IMO. The price is being at the mercy of a January transfer window

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
While I agree with you in the main why are people saying we didn't replace Jotas goals? He got 6 goals last year playing where Neto is this season. Neto is on for about 10 this season, Podence is on for more than 6 too.
Jota averaged around 1 in 3 for us over his 3 years and around 1 in 4 in the Premier. As you say, Neto, in particular, looks like he's plugging a good part of the gap there, which is great, but neither Neto and Podence are new players this season either. They might both score 5-6 more than last season but that's a handful more than the goals we lose from Jota who averaged 8 in the Premier over the last 2 seasons.

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shearer got it spot on last night.

Our approach play is too slow, giving the opposition all the time in the world to regroup. We play it right to left to right to left, we don’t dribble into the opposing penalty area (hence when we get so few penalties), several players are guilty of taking too many touches and nobody (not even Neves now) will flipping shoot.

IANWILSON

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Surely Corbeanu can't be too far away from the first 11. All we missing is that one person to put some of our chances away. Someone with a presence. Id like to see him start v Brighton.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shearer got it spot on last night.

Our approach play is too slow, giving the opposition all the time in the world to regroup. We play it right to left to right to left, we don’t dribble into the opposing penalty area (hence when we get so few penalties), several players are guilty of taking too many touches and nobody (not even Neves now) will flipping shoot.
And no one passes in a straight forward line down the middle . The quickest route to goal.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We don't yet have the relationships formed in the forward line. There is too much selfish play and inexperience.
I still voted unlucky though because I think we have been very unlucky with Rauls injury and I still back the policy of talent first and experience second.

Burford T Justice

Reaction score
Jota averaged around 1 in 3 for us over his 3 years and around 1 in 4 in the Premier. As you say, Neto, in particular, looks like he's plugging a good part of the gap there, which is great, but neither Neto and Podence are new players this season either. They might both score 5-6 more than last season but that's a handful more than the goals we lose from Jota who averaged 8 in the Premier over the last 2 seasons.
I don't disagree with you but if Neto scores 10 this season he has covered Jota's goals and his own from last season. Podence already has more goals than he scored last season I think as has Neto. Any goals from either of them from a few goals ago to the end of the season is plugging the gap from Jota. In fact they need to score just 4 goals between them to the end of the season to surpass the total goals scored by Jota, Neto and Podence last season. I'd be amazed if they didn't manage that.

We need the goals from Traore again and the rest of the team. Then we can worry about the main issue of plugging the Jimenez sized gap in our goal tally

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The way we set up in quite a few games is too negative. I lose count of the number of times we have never got more than two players in the opposition penalty area when we are attacking yet other teams always seem to have four. five or more. Love Nuno but he has to let the shackles off more or we will continue with our struggles in front of goal.

Burford T Justice

Reaction score
The way we set up in quite a few games is too negative. I lose count of the number of times we have never got more than two players in the opposition penalty area when we are attacking yet other teams always seem to have four. five or more. Love Nuno but he has to let the shackles off more or we will continue with our struggles in front of goal.
Completely agree with you on this. There was a moment last. Night where Traore delivered a wonderful left footed cross into the perfect area and the only people in the box for it were Podence and Moutinho. Similarly Neves' cross in the first half where nobody was in the right area to attack it.

When you play wide you aren't instructed to aim at a person with a cross, you are instructed to put it into areas of danger and expect people to there. We just don't ever seem to have enough people attacking the box

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We never shoot when around the box. Does my head in.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn't that a bit like me investing all of my money into a company on the stock exchange and then if that company crashes, shrugging my shoulders and saying "It's not my fault, it was just bad luck"?
It is though, isn’t it? Just because it’s bad luck, you don’t necessarily just ‘shrug your shoulders’.
I’ve lost money through investing in AIM companies. Despite all and any research you do, it doesn’t protect you from unforeseen events. Coronavirus battered my mining stocks for example. That’s not bad luck, that’s on a whole new ****ty level of luck. Which is how I view Rauls injury and absence. Just a whole new level of ****ty luck.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Completely agree with you on this. There was a moment last. Night where Traore delivered a wonderful left footed cross into the perfect area and the only people in the box for it were Podence and Moutinho. Similarly Neves' cross in the first half where nobody was in the right area to attack it.

When you play wide you aren't instructed to aim at a person with a cross, you are instructed to put it into areas of danger and expect people to there. We just don't ever seem to have enough people attacking the box

Ait Nouri put a decent one in as well and no one attacked it.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is though, isn’t it? Just because it’s bad luck, you don’t necessarily just ‘shrug your shoulders’.
I’ve lost money through investing in AIM companies. Despite all and any research you do, it doesn’t protect you from unforeseen events. Coronavirus battered my mining stocks for example. That’s not bad luck, that’s on a whole new ****ty level of luck. Which is how I view Rauls injury and absence. Just a whole new level of ****ty luck.
Having one striker is poor judgement of risk.
Losing money due to Coronavirus every 70 years is bad luck.
An injury to any player is part of football. To expect to go all season on one striker is like gambling all you portfolio in one company.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Polls should probably always have an "All Of The Above" - this one certainly needs it! Possiby a "None of the Above - Other", too. :) You could add "Reckless Life Threatening challenge by an Arsenal thug".

Either way, I don't think these one liner answers tell us anything as they are too focussed on the surface trivia. You might as well ask: "Why did we lose to Man U - a) They scored more goals than us or b) We scored fewer goals than them". The answer tells you nothing.

For example "Bad Planning". Seems to assume - and other messages all over the Mix recently seem to imply it - that in the summer there was a selection of top quality strikers all keen to come to Wolves yet for some reason, we chose not to buy any of them, other than Silva. My guess would be that our club know full well that we need a top striker and were actively searching for one. Yet none who fitted our requirements wanted to come here or were available.

Plans don't work out when they impact reality. I bet we planned to buy a top striker, especially once it was clear Jota wanted to leave. Yet for reasons out of our control, couldn't get what we really wanted. Can anyone point out top strikers who appeared keen to come to Wolves yet we showed no interest in? Possibly this is why in the end we spent somewhat over the odds for Silva.

Bad Luck - well, yes. In the past few months, if it wasn't for bad luck we'd have no luck at all as the saying goes. At this rate we'll be needing the witch doctors in to lift the curse. Or find out which demon Dean Smith sold his soul to, because all the good luck seems to be getting sucked into Villa Park .:mad:

<EDIT> My reason would be: "20 goal a season strikers are extremely hard to find".
don`t need a 20 goal a season striker if everybody else chips in a few

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
don`t need a 20 goal a season striker if everybody else chips in a few
With defensive midfielders and defenders playing down the flanks ,defenders that don’t go over the half way line, no chance.
You need that striker and a few alternatives.

Chode

Reaction score
Lack of a striker.
Our attacks focused on out wide and the reluctance of our centre midfielders or anyone else it seems, to get in the box.
Poor decisions when (finally) in good positions.
Bad luck or the keeper having a worldy.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
None of the above poll selections..

Simply LACK of an EXPERIENCED QUALITY PL STRIKER!!

Take A GOOD LOOK at my avatar SI SENOR :)

That's whats missing !!

thisisgil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
...and the second rule of investing is that you diversify your portfolio.

Wolves did not do this and instead relied on Raul and Raul alone. Luck wouldn't really come into it if we had signed an adequate replacement in the summer.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We can’t hold the ball over the half way line.
We don’t get the ball in the positions enough to be held in the first place.
We don’t play through the middle.

We are predictable and, if I’m honest, a bit boring. I mind the former more than the latter.

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"We have one of the best number nines in Europe and he fractured his skull in a freak accident" is probably the only option needed.

Would add it if you can edit the poll.

Even without one of the best number nines we struggle to score lmao

Wandering_Wolf93

Reaction score
A myriad of reasons, as mentioned, bad luck with the freak nature of Jimenez injury, bad planning for limited back up options, team selection when we play with wingers but no one who can get on the end of crosses. poor decision making/quality in the crucial moments (Neto pass to traore last night as an example, underhit a fairly routine pass which would have put Traore in. all the players also guilty of it as well)
I would also say we don't give ourselves enough opportunities to have slices of good luck, as in just have a go and take the shot on. Rashford was shown on to his weaker foot last night had a go and got his slice of good luck with the deflection, Neto in a similar situation tried to get back on to his left foot. Think we just need to take a chance and have a go more often. Podence did it against Chelsea got a flick and went in.
So all in all, no singular reason, if it was then it would be an easy fix but sadly it isn't.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because Bambi is too young to hack it?

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
...and the second rule of investing is that you diversify your portfolio.

Wolves did not do this and instead relied on Raul and Raul alone. Luck wouldn't really come into it if we had signed an adequate replacement in the summer.
Fair point, well made. :)

Wolvescol

Groupie
Reaction score
I think even before rauls injury he looked a lonely figure up front , frustrated at the lack of opportunities, we do tend to go mainly down the flanks albeit slowly , when we eventually get a cross in to a decent area Raul often finds himself the only gold shirt amongst 5/6 of the opposition and is expected to work miracles , total lack of bodies or presence to even pull other defenders away from him , I think nuno as a red line that certain players can’t cross on the pitch just in case the opposition breaks and we need 7/8 behind the ball again , the system is a massive part of the lack of goals , for me more so than the personnel, we could have ronaldo but he would still need support , watch the so called mid table sides , Everton , villa , even West Ham , 3/4 players in box attacking and a few around the edge to keep the pressure on if the ball is cleared out , at united the match changed for me when vithina went off , we immediately retreated 25 yards and played for a point , I agree with a few other posts also about playing more through the middle , and get Neto , podence taking players on in the box , tricky players that will yield a few pens , we must be bottom of the table on pens awarded , but it’s obvious why as our attacking intent is low on the agenda , we are crying out for Maddison type player , someone with a license to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and play forward , I’m not moaning as we have come a huge distance the last few years , but we are definitely going backwards until we start finding the net ,so my summary is 1, poor planning , no back up for Raul , 2 bad luck with rauls injury , 3 cautious negative tactics

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We play too defensively and dont get enough players into the box. I would rather see us play like leeds and bang a few more in than we concede. At least it would be fun to watch. Dont think nuno has this style on him to be fair

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To score more we need to trust the defence to handle a counter. Ironically I think a genuinely pacey dominant centre half would mean more goals than another striker.
We could sign Marco Van Basten’s ghost but if we don’t commit to the attack you’re still praying for a perfect one two or cross to come off between isolated forwards. Until we’re braver we won’t score more, we already have top talent. But Moutinho and Neves need to be 20 yards further up the pitch, shooting and playing final balls not terrified of exposing the defence and recycling only to the wings... then the winger realises he’s alone, turns, passes back into midfield... or crosses to no one or a midget.

R

reanswolf

A third of the people on here really think we aren't scoring because of bad luck !!! :rolleyes:
We must be having a hell of a lot of bad luck then, like every single game.
I think they mean in the sense that our top striker got injured long term.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think they mean in the sense that our top striker got injured long term.
For any other team that would be a problem that would be solved by then playing the back-up striker who are often just as good. In our case though we didn't have one because our manager decided that was unnecessary, that is a dereliction of duty and is costing us big-time.
There is no sugar coating this, the decision to have no experienced striker back-up whatsoever has really tainted Nuno in my opinion.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To score more we need to trust the defence to handle a counter. Ironically I think a genuinely pacey dominant centre half would mean more goals than another striker.
We could sign Marco Van Basten’s ghost but if we don’t commit to the attack you’re still praying for a perfect one two or cross to come off between isolated forwards. Until we’re braver we won’t score more, we already have top talent. But Moutinho and Neves need to be 20 yards further up the pitch, shooting and playing final balls not terrified of exposing the defence and recycling only to the wings... then the winger realises he’s alone, turns, passes back into midfield... or crosses to no one or a midget.
Marco Van Basten isn’t dead.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For any other team that would be a problem that would be solved by then playing the back-up striker who are often just as good. In our case though we didn't have one because our manager decided that was unnecessary, that is a dereliction of duty and is costing us big-time.
There is no sugar coating this, the decision to have no experienced striker back-up whatsoever has really tainted Nuno in my opinion.

Shall we list all the team’s second choice strikers again? Being as you’re saying they’re often ‘just as good’?
Chelsea do. They now have Abraham and Giroud, 2 decent #9s, with Werner who really needs to be a second striker, not ok the wing or target man.

On paper, Citeh have the best back up, Jesus.
Look how they’ve struggled without Aguero.
Just not the same team, De Bruyne looks half lost because many of his best options are taken away. Sound familiar, a team’s style falling apart because they’ve lost their main man?

Leicester. Utterly screwed without Vardy. Iheanacho is inconsistent, infuriating, and plays completely differently to Vardy, again upsetting the way they play.

Southampton? Dropped off a cliff since Ings injury. They do at least have Walcott, who is having a bit of a renaissance compared to the last few years.

Burnley play with 2 big, average but effective strikers. They have 3, big, average but effective strikers. 1 injury means no rest or rotation options, or changing the way they play.

Yanited have 1 real #9 full stop. They thought they had 2, but it’s taken then that long to realise Martial will never be that guy, and had to shell out £400k a week to get a class but ageing player to fill that role.

Need I go on? Our whole strategy is based on gambling on squad depth. We’ve signed the minimum number of players, of a higher quality and subsequent wage than most premier league newcomers. Look at Villa last season. They filled up a squad with bang average players, so they could be average at full strength and almost average with injuries....and survived due to a technological error. Fulham the last time they came up same.

If there is only a finite budget, then compromises have to be made somewhere. Fosun and Nuno have quite obviously decided that thin squad, of good quality, plus buying young and high-ceiling, is the best chance of long term success.

Last edited:

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
well there are reasons but it's not any f the 3 options on the poll

Vicious Sid

Reaction score
the way we are set up is the problem. neves playing 10 yards further up would be an easy and immediate improvement. giving bringing in new strikers as much importance as backs and wingers would be another. keeping the good ones when we have them would be a third.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shall we list all the team’s second choice strikers again? Being as you’re saying they’re often ‘just as good’?
Chelsea do. They now have Abraham and Giroud, 2 decent #9s, with Werner who really needs to be a second striker, not ok the wing or target man.

On paper, Citeh have the best back up, Jesus.
Look how they’ve struggled without Aguero.
Just not the same team, De Bruyne looks half lost because many of his best options are taken away. Sound familiar, a team’s style falling apart because they’ve lost their main man?

Leicester. Utterly screwed without Vardy. Iheanacho is inconsistent, infuriating, and plays completely differently to Vardy, again upsetting the way they play.

Southampton? Dropped off a cliff since Ings injury. They do at least have Walcott, who is having a bit of a renaissance compared to the last few years.

Burnley play with 2 big, average but effective strikers. They have 3, big, average but effective strikers. 1 injury means no rest or rotation options, or changing the way they play.

Yanited have 1 real #9 full stop. They thought they had 2, but it’s taken then that long to realise Martial will never be that guy, and had to shell out £400k a week to get a class but ageing player to fill that role.

Need I go on? Our whole strategy is based on gambling on squad depth. We’ve signed the minimum number of players, of a higher quality and subsequent wage than most premier league newcomers. Look at Villa last season. They filled up a squad with bang average players, so they could be average at full strength and almost average with injuries....and survived due to a technological error. Fulham the last time they came up same.

If there is only a finite budget, then compromises have to be made somewhere. Fosun and Nuno have quite obviously decided that thin squad, of good quality, plus buying young and high-ceiling, is the best chance of long term success.
Most teams have a backup . Or a couple of midfielders that score . Total goals scored by all our midfield in last 12 months ? 5 or 6 .
But we have a dozen or more primarily defensive players .

Last edited:
R

reanswolf

No you are right there, but you don't know how close we may have been in the transfer market, maybe something just fell through late on. But it has certainly cost us this season.

Back
Top Bottom