Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Why are W-ton Council Safety Advisory Group always so backward and conservative?

Sampford Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Are these other games being played at the Mol or at different grounds with different size concourses, exit widths etc.

You are jumping in without having a clue about the actual issues I am afraid.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are these other games being played at the Mol or at different grounds with different size concourses, exit widths etc.

You are jumping in without having a clue about the actual issues I am afraid.
Not sure its jumping in most people will have a good idea of the concourse sizes etc and many of those grounds who've opted for the max allowed 25%.

You think Molinuex has the worst concourse space etc compared with all those listed that are offering more than Wolves? Anyone who's ever been to any of those grounds knows in many cases thats simply not true.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure its jumping in most people will have a good idea of the concourse sizes etc and many of those grounds who've opted for the max allowed 25%.

You think Molinuex has the worst concourse space etc compared with all those listed that are offering more than Wolves? Anyone who's ever been to any of those grounds knows in many cases thats simply not true.

Is it not about seat spacing? Ie we’re an older ground so less space between rows? I know that doesn’t apply to Leeds but they also have a bigger capacity than us so maybe evens out?

I wondered if there’s a turnstile issue as well. Perhaps it would make more sense to have some sort of checkpoint around the stadium and then just go in via the exit gates

R

reanswolf

Its true I don't know the exact reasons and issues, but I do honestly believe that if Wolverhampton Safety Board and Southampton or Brighton or Leeds Safety Boards did each others appraisals, then we would have 25% on Sunday or 8000, and they would have just 4500.

'Wolverhampton Authority' has always been like this. I genuinely believe there is something in this statement.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its true I don't know the exact reasons and issues, but I do honestly believe that if Wolverhampton Safety Board and Southampton or Brighton or Leeds Safety Boards did each others appraisals, then we would have 25% on Sunday or 8000, and they would have just 4500.

'Wolverhampton Authority' has always been like this. I genuinely believe there is something in this statement.
and banning that song which is still played in sandwell!!

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are no different to Leeds or Southampton crowd though mate. Sorry but this is the type of attitude I'd expect from a Wolverhampton Safety Board member, 'literally' looking for additional reasons.

No excuses I'm afraid. They are just over-zealous.
And many at Southampton demonstrating currently that they can’t/won’t follow the rules

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
8,000 at Brighton tonight. Sounds really loud (I guess coming from behind to lead Man City helps). Looks quite sparse though. I imagine only 4,000 at Molineux this weekend will look very sparse. Maybe Brighton's new stadium helps, wider concourses and all that. Mind you my downstairs toilet is more roomy than the Steve Bull upper concourse.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
8,000 at Brighton tonight. Sounds really loud (I guess coming from behind to lead Man City helps). Looks quite sparse though. I imagine only 4,000 at Molineux this weekend will look very sparse. Maybe Brighton's new stadium helps, wider concourses and all that. Mind you my downstairs toilet is more roomy than the Steve Bull upper concourse.
Good on Brighton for taking advantage but Atwell deserves to regain his "Tw" prefix after tonight's reffing horror show. National League level officiating and how "Mossy" could see no clear and obvious error....

Sampford Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score

It will be a mathematical calulation that will determine the capacity that will be the same for all clubs. The difference between clubs is in the stadiums dimensions. It is the same government guidelines that they all have to follow and they will be prescriptive.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Good on Brighton for taking advantage but Atwell deserves to regain his "Tw" prefix after tonight's reffing horror show. National League level officiating and how "Mossy" could see no clear and obvious error....
I only switched it on just in time to see Brighton's third, do missed Atwell's performance. Will have to check out the highlights later.

R

reanswolf

It will be a mathematical calulation that will determine the capacity that will be the same for all clubs. The difference between clubs is in the stadiums dimensions. It is the same government guidelines that they all have to follow and they will be prescriptive.
Sorry mate but I think that's claptrap. Molineux has wider open spaces than literally any ground in the Country, and you can't tell me Molineux is more cramped than any other Premier ground holding 30,000. Its clearly NOT the same for all clubs, that is my point. Wolverhampton Safety Board have taken it on themselves to take it a step further.

The Express and Star say this: -

Wolves
Only 4,500 tickets have been made available for Wolves fans, despite Molineux's capacity sitting above 30,000. 25 per cent of that would be above 7,000, but after conversations were held with Wolverhampton Council and due to social distancing guidelines capacity was limited further.

West Brom​

Albion have not announced exactly how many supporters have been able to buy tickets via their ballot system, but given the capacity of just under 27,000 at The Hawthorns, around 6,000 are expected to be in attendance for the clash with the Hammers.

Aston Villa​

Aston Villa will welcome the maximum number of fans permitted during current restrictions, with the club confirming that 10,000 fans will be permitted in Villa Park for the fixture with Chelsea.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it not about seat spacing? Ie we’re an older ground so less space between rows? I know that doesn’t apply to Leeds but they also have a bigger capacity than us so maybe evens out?
Doubtful, what did Burnley have percentage wise? Everton etc?
I wondered if there’s a turnstile issue as well. Perhaps it would make more sense to have some sort of checkpoint around the stadium and then just go in via the exit gates
Are our turnstiles that different than many others who've opted for the 25%?

Now I'm not saying its 100% the only reason but Wolverhampton Council is the only changeable compared to ALL other grounds that have used the full 25% so this would suggest as Reans states that the councils over zealousness certainly has played a major part in that fact.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Same guidelines but decisions fall on the local council.

Imagine accusing someone of jumping the gun and not knowing the full facts yourself.

Think you owe Reans an apology personally.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even 25% is a shambles, you could legally have 30 people crammed under a gazebo watching the game in someone’s garden or you could spend the entire day indoors with 5 mates huddled round a small table at a pub with 6 lads doing the same in every direction around you.

It’s almost like these morons haven’t realised football is held outdoors in large stands for what is a relatively short and defined period of time.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even 25% is a shambles, you could legally have 30 people crammed under a gazebo watching the game in someone’s garden or you could spend the entire day indoors with 5 mates huddled round a small table at a pub with 6 lads doing the same in every direction around you.

It’s almost like these morons haven’t realised football is held outdoors in large stands for what is a relatively short and defined period of time.
Agree and the face masks whilst sat down is a joke.

I've been to busy theme parks, zoos etc both in the past few weeks and last summer and yes indoors in corridors, at kiosk queues etc yeah fair enough masks but not out in the open!

The risk of transmission in the open air is tiny!!

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doubtful, what did Burnley have percentage wise? Everton etc?

Are our turnstiles that different than many others who've opted for the 25%?

Now I'm not saying its 100% the only reason but Wolverhampton Council is the only changeable compared to ALL other grounds that have used the full 25% so this would suggest as Reans states that the councils over zealousness certainly has played a major part in that fact.

I don’t know I wasn’t defending them I was just asking.

Biggest thing for us appears to be them closing off the whole of the Billy Wright which is understandable to an extent. Places like villa for example can open the top part of their stand that the players use, Albion’s stand for that is the smallest anyway. Will be similar for burnley I imagine

R

reanswolf

I admit I do not have precise information, but my point remains, that authority in Wolverhampton, be it police or council, always seem too bloody anal and over-zealous. And I think the fact that other neighbouring local authorities are not like this, suggests there is certainly something in my appraisal.

They never do it for the benefit of Wolves, again the liquidator banned here but not in West Brom, giving West Brom the South Bank (which indeed predictably caused a riot), closing Wolverhampton town centre after we won promotion via that wonderful day at Cardiff, and now this.

Find me any other region where the same song is banned at one club, but not the neighbouring one.
Find me any club in history of British football where the main home end is given to local rivals.
Find me any town in the Country where all pubs and clubs are closed after a team wins something of such magnitude.
It now seems that the vast majority are allowing 25% in, Wolves excepted. There was 4000 fans at bloody Oxford last night FFS!

Whether its the same people responsible for all these decisions I do not know, but the fact that different authorities are assessing this differently, suggests authority in Wolverhampton is at odds with thinking nationwide, and at odds with Government advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably the daftest part of this decision is if you are going to allow several thousand into Molineux the difference between 4500 and 7000 won't really make much difference to either social distancing or spreading any virus present.

If Molineux had only a 10.000 capacity allowing 50 to 75 percent in might be seen as up too close and personal. But it ain't its 30,000 with plenty of room for 7,000 which would still make it look empty.

A case of council leaders making chumps of themselves whilst once again rubbing the people of Wolverhampton up the wrong way. Which is a great pity these past few years given the job they did helping to save the club in the 80s.

Last edited:

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I admit I do not have precise information, but my point remains, that authority in Wolverhampton, be it police or council, always seem too bloody anal and over-zealous. And I think the fact that other neighbouring local authorities are not like this, suggests there is certainly something in my appraisal.

They never do it for the benefit of Wolves, again the liquidator banned here but not in West Brom, giving West Brom the South Bank (which indeed predictably caused a riot), closing Wolverhampton town centre after we won promotion via that wonderful day at Cardiff, and now this.

Find me any other region where the same song is banned at one club, but not the neighbouring one.
Find me any club in history of British football where the main home end is given to local rivals.
Find me any town in the Country where all pubs and clubs are closed after a team wins something of such magnitude.
It now seems that the vast majority are allowing 25% in, Wolves excepted. There was 4000 fans at bloody Oxford last night FFS!

Whether its the same people responsible for all these decisions I do not know, but the fact that different authorities are assessing this differently, suggests authority in Wolverhampton is at odds with thinking nationwide, and at odds with Government advice.

Not defending them but I thought it was Moxey who banned liquidator because they wanted us to be more family friendly and we won’t ever not sing F off in it :tearsofjoy:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
singing causes a riot according to WMP
it was banned not because it was offensive but according to the police it causes riots!!!!!
To be fair, having listened to some of the "quality" pre-match/HT entertainment at Molineux, particularly in the Jizz era, they may have a point... lol

Seriously, what a load of BS, particularly when the same song apparently doesn't have the same effect 10 miles or so down the road....

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
singing causes a riot according to WMP
it was banned not because it was offensive but according to the police it causes riots!!!!!
WMP requested the club stop playing it after a couple of games were there was trouble in 2002 (Sheff Utd/Pompey).

They claimed it encouraged trouble (as someone who was lets just say 'a bit naughty' in his youth around that time I can categorially state the trouble at both of those games had **** all to do with the liquidator).

The club initially denied their request, but WMP ramped up the pressure (possibly getting the Council or threatening to, involved).

D

Deleted member 4456

Wolves coach Nuno calls on fans to get tested for Covid ahead of Molineux return

Yes the headline is Nuno, but its being pushed by Wolverhampton's Public Director of health!!

Posting us all a covid test, I'm not sure how many other clubs have had to do this?
It's yet another thinly-veiled psychological nudge to get people tested and/or vaccinated. This time, they're playing on people's love of the club as a means of appealing to them to take action. As far as I'm aware, you're under no obligation to do either at this stage in order to attend a match. I wouldn't be surprised if any of the other clubs (or their local authorities) were to try this trick. Everton certainly tried to mandate testing when they were allowed to have fans at Woodison before but as far as I know, people complained and they backed down.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So Everton have fans in all four stands, yet we have to close our biggest stand. If the concourses in the other stands are anything like the away end, I've no idea how they do it.

R

reanswolf

4500 in 32000 is going to look and sound ****.

I ****ing hate Wolverhampton ******* council.

Harming their own club at every opportunity.

WCC you are a disgrace

Padraig

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The stand behind the goal at Palace basically looks like a full house.

Molineux not big enough my ****. Absolute **** Wolves.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

WCC you are a disgrace
They can't take any chance with this covid virus though. Don’t you realise there have been 3 deaths and 1 extra person in hospital announced today.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score

WCC you are a disgrace
Lincoln City had 4000 in for their playoff semi final against Sunderland last night. Capacity of Sincil Bank? 10,120. It looked pretty full. We'll have roughly the same amount of fans in as Lincoln but in a 31,700 capacity stadium. I know the concourses etc. aren't great at Molineux (especially the Steve Bull) but I can't believe they are any worse than Sincil Bank. The decision for attendance at Molineux does seem ridiculous.

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Palace had 6,500 in this week. Palace.
There is no way that decrepit shambles has bigger concourses than we do.
Same as Albion, smaller stadium, more fans.
Utterly ludicrous

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Palace had 6,500 in this week. Palace.
There is no way that decrepit shambles has bigger concourses than we do.
Same as Albion, smaller stadium, more fans.
Utterly ludicrous
I was at Selhurst Park for the U23s game on Monday and wrote the same then.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
farce

you just know there's some jobsworth's putting their foot down. i doubt they've ever left the town

Sampford Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
The thing that I don't get is keeping the Billy Wright closed. I don't think the SAG have the power to insist on that so unfortunately I suspect it is a club decision.
Without the BW the capacity is approx 22,000 so 25 per cent is 5500. Then the concourse in the Steve Bull is tiny so the distancing probably loses the other 1000.

Comparing with other grounds doesn't work. Some of them won't even have concourses (the fans will just enter and exit from the front) so no inside spaces to cause a problem. And yes, I do think the Steve Bull concourse is smaller than in other newer stands in other grounds.

So as much as it is nice to blame the council for this, I don't think it is them this time.

As for the other things that Reans has listed I agree completely, there are some pathetic decisions in there.

Back
Top Bottom