Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Who would you replace our stars with using Morgan's 'treasure chest'?

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a question that has got me thinking last night since he's been quoted as saying:

"The one thing about Wolves is that we’re in great financial health and we will have a very good treasure chest when it comes to the playing side."

"There will be changes - some players will come, some players will go but that will be with one thing in mind and that's to get back up."

Based on those points, I'm going to make an assumption or scenario whichever way you see it, that based on what Morgan is saying some of our best/worst players will leave e.g. Fletcher, Jarvis, Doyle, O'Hara, Henry, Ward & Johnson will be on their way.

So if those seven players leave us in the summer, although it's not dead certain but I would guess they will, who would you replace them with? I'm not talking from within Wolves because unless Morgan is chatting complete and utter bull$$$$ again (Wolves won't recruit a novice as manager etc.) then he will stay to his word and replace these players with new, quality players. Who would you like to see us bring in realistically with the "treasure chest" received for the want outs mentioned above? I would guess from selling all of the above we should raise atleast £20 million pounds upfront which SHOULD all be used to sign replacements in these positions:

• 2 Strikers
  • Winger
  • 2 Central Midfielders
  • Left Back
  • Centre Back

You can also include potential replacements from within Wolves but considering he's just come out and said what he has in that we now have a "treasure chest" to spend, I think it's worth a discussion as to which players from outside Wolves maybe playing in the Championship or League One worth signing or potentially a couple of loans from the EPL. My immediate thoughts were on the following two players:

• Jordan Rhodes & Emmanuel Frimpong.

Rhodes because of his extraordinary form in League One this season and the fact that he plays at Huddersfield should mean if they fail in the play-offs he will want to play at a bigger club where he can get more games and continue to grow as a player which I think he would have the best opportunity to do so here in the Championship with Wolves and then ultimately, become a premier league success with us. (Hopefully)

Emmanuel Frimpong has retweeted various Wolves fans and he himself admits he has "unfinished business" here after his injury. No doubts about the impact he would have I mean we all saw him at Wolves in the EPL he would absolutely storm the Championship. Only doubts I have with manny is Wenger's attitude to sending him to a Championship club.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SimplyTheWolves

How does that equate? Surely we need to keep hold of our better players, get rid of the lesser ones and strengthen? And maybe that's what Morgan means.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MonkeySpanner

Mr. Morgan.....
Where was the 'treasure chest' our third season in the Premiership.

If you didn't trust Mick with the money any more why didn't you get rid of him at the end of the second season?

As for loosing players Hennessy, Fletcher and Jarvis are worth money. Can't see why we would sell if we don't have to.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mr. Morgan.....
Where was the 'treasure chest' our third season in the Premiership.

If you didn't trust Mick with the money any more why didn't you get rid of him at the end of the second season?

As for loosing players Hennessy, Fletcher and Jarvis are worth money. Can't see why we would sell if we don't have to.

There are other external pressures such as agent's and the players themselves wanting out, I may be wrong. I'm just thinking about; IF the worst comes to worst and we end up selling some of our best players, who would YOU like to replace them with?

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rhodes or Jay Rodriguez to replace Fletcher.
Matt Phillips if Jarvis was to leave.

Then I'd like us to sign these:
Whitingham
Frimpong (on loan)
Mariappa
Zaha

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Love these threads! As most others have said, we really should be looking to keep the few 'Premier League quality' players that we have and build a side around them. To play along though, using the names mentioned in the OP, I would go with the following replacements:

Fletcher - Jay Rodriguez, Gary Madine
Doyle - Will Keane (Loan), Benik Afobe (Loan)
Jarvis - Matt Phillips (providing Blackpool don't go up), Robbie Brady
Henry - Emmanuel Frimpong (Loan), Jake Livermore (Loan)
Johnson - Ryan Nelsen, Adrian Mariappa, Harry Maguire
O'Hara - Nick Powell, Jacob Butterfield
Ward - Jack Robinson (Loan), Chris Gunter, Sasa Papac

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thomas Ince if Blackpool dont go up. Curtis Davies from Blouse. Frimpong on loan. I also like Judge at Notts County. Plus two new strikers.

Ulver

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Come on.. it's a war chest! Let's get the terminology right at least.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Come on.. it's a war chest! Let's get the terminology right at least.

LOL I remember that one, Express & Star Headline: "Mick has £3 million warchest to spend!" Oh dear... so a "treasure chest", is it more or less than a "war chest"?! :D

T

Tettenhall Wolf

How does that equate? Surely we need to keep hold of our better players, get rid of the lesser ones and strengthen? And maybe that's what Morgan means.

I hope that's what he meant too. The 'treasure chest', as he put it, shouldn't be from the sales of Jarvo, fletch etc.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Love these threads! As most others have said, we really should be looking to keep the few 'Premier League quality' players that we have and build a side around them. To play along though, using the names mentioned in the OP, I would go with the following replacements:

Fletcher - Jay Rodriguez, Gary Madine
Doyle - Will Keane (Loan), Benik Afobe (Loan)
Jarvis - Matt Phillips (providing Blackpool don't go up), Robbie Brady
Henry - Emmanuel Frimpong (Loan), Jake Livermore (Loan)
Johnson - Ryan Nelsen, Adrian Mariappa, Harry Maguire
O'Hara - Nick Powell, Jacob Butterfield
Ward - Jack Robinson (Loan), Chris Gunter, Sasa Papac

The Fletcher and Doyle replacements (apart from Jay Rod) make me want to cry Tring!

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Twenty million or so will be raised by selling players. This will then be used to finance the rebuilding of the Steve Bull -thus keeping SM's building street cred intact.

The 'Treasure Chest' will amount to 'undisclosed fees' for players 'for the future' while those young players already bloodied will be further used along with other 'home grown' youngsters.

WWFC will stay mid-table in the chump.

Oh and TC will be appointed manager on a rolling one year contract.

At the end of next season Jez and Steve will 'revue' the situation and conclude that the club is in fine financial fettle and TC has improved the quality of play at Molineux. That he is the right man for the job in the club's (very) long term aim to quickly return to the PL. This scene will be repeated as long as Jez is at the club.

I post slightly tongue in cheek but have a horrible feeling....

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
The Fletcher and Doyle replacements (apart from Jay Rod) make me want to cry Tring!

I know mate! How's about we just keep Fletcher and/or Doyle instead. Easier for everyone :)

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know mate! How's about we just keep Fletcher and/or Doyle instead. Easier for everyone :)

Wouldn't be too fussed about losing Doyle tbh, I think we could replace him. Fletcher on the other hand there's no way we'll get a striker of his quality unless we become a top 8 team.

J

Jamesjh89

A few names off the top of my head.

Frimmy
Rhodes
Leon best
Tom ince

Waggy's Boots

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
are you sure that he said treasure chest- if so maybe he means that we have a treasure chest of young players coming through...rather than meaning we'll have loads of money to spend buying new ones?

itsmee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
or maybe we could let the new manager decide, after TC has left the building Sunday afternoon

wolvesandbooze

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Wouldn't be too fussed about losing Doyle tbh, I think we could replace him. Fletcher on the other hand there's no way we'll get a striker of his quality unless we become a top 8 team.
Every player starts somewhere....a scouting system...a decent one might help

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A few names I would be looking at who will add a bit more pace and experience to the team.

Captain Marvel = Ryan Nelson
Steal the best from the Blues a = Curtis Davies
Steal the best from the Blues b = Chris Burke
A monster in midfield = Dickson Etuhu
Constant championship perrformer = Peter Whittingham
More pace = Matt Phillips
Poacher/Pace/Skill = Ricardo Vaz Te
Target Man = Steve Morison

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
or maybe we could let the new manager decide, after TC has left the building Sunday afternoon

It's just a bit of speculation mate, no need to be a grumpy git about it.

GigaWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As for the 'Treasure Chest' it was widely spouted by the club that money was not the issue in the transfer market, rather that micks potential targets could not be persuaded to join Wolves.

I see that as an excuse tbh, if you throw enough money as someone they will join.

Probably the low wages put them off rather than the transfer fee.

The club need to sit down and work out this wages business before they start to target individuals in the close season. No point chasing if you cant afford!

R

RichDavi

A few names I would be looking at who will add a bit more pace and experience to the team.

Captain Marvel = Ryan Nelson
Steal the best from the Blues a = Curtis Davies
Steal the best from the Blues b = Chris Burke
A monster in midfield = Dickson Etuhu
Constant championship perrformer = Peter Whittingham
More pace = Matt Phillips
Poacher/Pace/Skill = Ricardo Vaz Te
Target Man = Steve Morison

Ignoring the other ludicrous suggestions, Steve Morison? Really? You think he'll willing drop down a division for similar wages?

The extent of delusion on this board is ridiculous at times

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ignoring the other ludicrous suggestions, Steve Morison? Really? You think he'll willing drop down a division for similar wages?

The extent of delusion on this board is ridiculous at times

I do yes , if we show ambition as he sits on the Norwich bench most weeks.

He is a reallly strong and powerful centre forwards who I think would do a damn good job at championship level and give us another option up front.

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
does morgan and moxey have any credibility left....i dont think so.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Twenty million or so will be raised by selling players. This will then be used to finance the rebuilding of the Steve Bull -thus keeping SM's building street cred intact.

The 'Treasure Chest' will amount to 'undisclosed fees' for players 'for the future' while those young players already bloodied will be further used along with other 'home grown' youngsters.

WWFC will stay mid-table in the chump.

Oh and TC will be appointed manager on a rolling one year contract.

At the end of next season Jez and Steve will 'revue' the situation and conclude that the club is in fine financial fettle and TC has improved the quality of play at Molineux. That he is the right man for the job in the club's (very) long term aim to quickly return to the PL. This scene will be repeated as long as Jez is at the club.

I post slightly tongue in cheek but have a horrible feeling....
Unfortunately there is too much history to this to make it believable.
Steve Morgan has a lot of repair work to do with the fans if he wants them onside or his support will be very fragile.
It looks as if most Wolves fans want to look for the positive but if they are let down again their patience could run thin.

Back
Top Bottom