Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Who negotiates the transfer deals?

scrufftyguy

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It seems we're being a lot more savvy this transfer window and it got me wondering who's ultimately responsible for the signings?

I guess Thelwell puts together the list of players who we approach but who actually decides on length of contract, how much we'll pay etc. Is it Laurie, Jeff, Thelwell or a combination of people? And I'm not accepting "Mendes" as the answer. :D

C

Cart78

It is supposedly Kevin. But I'm guessing any of the other 2 could get involved if felt it was needed or if a big signing.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would think length of Contract may well be mainly down to Thewell and also where on the scale player should be in terms of wages , how much he thinks they are worth etc, (with those being more football related) but probably Jeff and or Laurie have to sign off on those and would probably do more of the negotiating on price, also ffp may have some influence on length of contract as fee will be averaged over the contract I think so would expect it to be Shi that has the final say on that

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would expect Laurie to have primary responsibility for negotiating the deals with input from Jeff when necessary. Thelwell may have a fancy title but he is effectively head scout for the uk and maybe a little bit beyond.

D

Deleted member 5242

I'm told Thelwell is still very much in the thick of it. Bits it's a Jeff-Laurie-Kev combo

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm told Thelwell is still very much in the thick of it. Bits it's a Jeff-Laurie-Kev combo
He no doubt talks to UK agents about their clients that are in one of his dossiers and makes suggestions/recommendations but he has little stroke.

scrufftyguy

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, so looks like it's pretty much a group decision.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He no doubt talks to UK agents about their clients that are in one of his dossiers and makes suggestions/recommendations but he has little stroke.
Well some of our transfers this season have been exciting.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That would be Dalrymple negotiating with the players agent ,as it was Moxey,with final sign off from Shi.Thelwells role would be to identify transfer targets tho presumably not those from the Mendes stable for consideration by the manager and Shi.

Quite how the price is arrived at on the Mendes clients is anyones guess.But the Conn article shed some light on who represents who .Unfortunately Wolves declined to answer when asked about Mendes involvement in transfers which just fuels suspicion from jealous parties.

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like moths to a light - I bet a lot of football people are starting to come and ask if there is a job going.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why should there be three of them negotiating?

If Mendes is involved and Fosun have his 'ear' wouldn't that just need Mendes and Shi? At least for those Mendes 'recommends'.

Now, football wise, we can assume that Jeff Shi isn't the most knowledgeable when it comes to picking the 'right' player. Dalrymple is in effect general manger, so why would he be involved? His football knowledge won't be good enough surely.

That leaves Thelwell. Just what is he doing? Is he paid to say yes to Mendes clients on football terms. Does he find 'home' players? This then begs the question What might be the point in that? If Mendes can sway foreign talent more readily. It's not as if British players are either good enough anymore, generally speaking, or plentiful of the right quality. The coming season will already see a squad of foreign players dominating.

Presumably Nuno will have some kind of input.

It still seems a bit lopsided to me. In terms of who is deciding what. Although at least there does seem to be some serious team building going on, so some progress of sorts.

Being willing and able to pay £40,000 a week might have something to do with that. It now has to translate in pitch performances. We all wait and see.

Noses pressed against the sweet shop window.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a great shame for the media and their witch-hunt.... but I believe Thelwell co-ordinates with the input of the Head Coach

Mendes, like other agents, is given a brief on what is needed and will also proffer names. Clearly he's closer than many others agents, but he doesn't have the final say (Fosun wouldn't allow this)

They all go on a list, and budgets / value / ROI / profitability / FFP are taken into account (just as with any business plan)

Each individual project is given to Jeff and where necessary the Board to sign off

So sorry to the media, but Mendes is only part of the plan. He simply doesn't have time to make Wolves his personal pet project, although obviously he's got a beady eye on us being successful in order to increase the value of his players

It's all fairly simple really and not half as Machiavellian as the angry media would like to think. Shame really

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why should there be three of them negotiating?

If Mendes is involved and Fosun have his 'ear' wouldn't that just need Mendes and Shi? At least for those Mendes 'recommends'.

Now, football wise, we can assume that Jeff Shi isn't the most knowledgeable when it comes to picking the 'right' player. Dalrymple is in effect general manger, so why would he be involved? His football knowledge won't be good enough surely.

That leaves Thelwell. Just what is he doing? Is he paid to say yes to Mendes clients on football terms. Does he find 'home' players? This then begs the question What might be the point in that? If Mendes can sway foreign talent more readily. It's not as if British players are either good enough anymore, generally speaking, or plentiful of the right quality. The coming season will already see a squad of foreign players dominating.

Presumably Nuno will have some kind of input.

It still seems a bit lopsided to me. In terms of who is deciding what. Although at least there does seem to be some serious team building going on, so some progress of sorts.

Being willing and able to pay £40,000 a week might have something to do with that. It now has to translate in pitch performances. We all wait and see.

Noses pressed against the sweet shop window.

thelwell is very much involved in co-ordinating activity

D

Deleted member 5242

It's a great shame for the media and their witch-hunt.... but I believe Thelwell co-ordinates with the input of the Head Coach

Mendes, like other agents, is given a brief on what is needed and will also proffer names. Clearly he's closer than many others agents, but he doesn't have the final say (Fosun wouldn't allow this)

They all go on a list, and budgets / value / ROI / profitability / FFP are taken into account (just as with any business plan)

Each individual project is given to Jeff and where necessary the Board to sign off

So sorry to the media, but Mendes is only part of the plan. He simply doesn't have time to make Wolves his personal pet project, although obviously he's got a beady eye on us being successful in order to increase the value of his players

It's all fairly simple really and not half as Machiavellian as the angry media would like to think. Shame really

That runs true with what I have been told, which I found quite surprising and whilst I have been extremely critical of him he must take a certain level of praise for recent transfer activity.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
thelwell is very much involved in co-ordinating activity

His title is Head of Football Development and Recruitment. Or it was under the last regime.

Head of recruitment suggests he has the last word. No, me neither.

What might coordinating activity mean? Just one of the (to me at least) puzzling (still) items which still exists.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Head of recruitment suggests he has the last word. No, me neither.

What might coordinating activity mean? Just one of the (to me at least) puzzling (still) items which still exists.

No it means he creates the list which gets signed off by his superiors. Just as everyone else does things that can be over-ruled by the top brass

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd say its a combination of people. I'm fairly sure Thelwell would have very little direct input when negotiating a deal with either a Mendes client or a foreign player who cant speak English i wouldnt think. As far as i am aware, Mendes is fluent in English, Spanish, Italian and French ( and obviously his native Language ), so it would make sense for him to do the negotiating. I'd say the home based signings would be more left to Thelwell. Shi i think would be involved to some extent with both.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No it means he creates the list which gets signed off by his superiors. Just as everyone else does things that can be over-ruled by the top brass

So is this fact? If it is why is his title 'Head of Recruitment and Football Development' if he compiles lists? (dossiers).

A very grand title for a list compiler.His title suggests he is 'top brass'.

So the hierarchy according to title (or otherwise) is

Chairman. Jeff Shi
Club Representative?? Sky Sun
Managing Director. Laurie Dalrymple.
Head of Recruitment and Football Development (changed to Sporting Director??) Kevin Thelwell.
Non Executive Directors John Bowater John Gough
Club Secretary. Matt Wild
Assistant Club Secretary Alison Matthews

Head Coach. Nuno.
Assistant Head Coach. Silva
First Team Coach. Albar.
Head of Recruitment???? John Marshall (is he still with the club?)

After that list we have the honorary stuff, youth coaches etc etc.Plus Mendes 'advising'.

All clear then who does what? What is the difference between, for example, assistant head coach and first team coach?

One of the puzzles for me is why after a year of Fosun there are still titled positions which probably mean nothing at all.

Shi and Sun are, in all probability, the only two who matter in the end.

Last edited:

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It could be Thelwell was kept on to provide continuity and to give cover to Mendes and that would be how Fosun want it.

How much power does Thelwell have ?-on squad transfers a lot but not as much on the first 11.He identifies Bennett but Mendes then identifies Miranda and Boly.

Thelwell recommends Lambert and Shi goes along with it but when Mendes wants his mate in Thelwell is just an observer.

Dalrymple doesnt seem to be a substantial figure but many will welcome that after Moxey .

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So is this fact? If it is why is his title 'Head of Recruitment and Football Development' if he compiles lists? (dossiers).

A very grand title for a list compiler.His title suggests he is 'top brass'.

So the hierarchy according to title (or otherwise) is

Chairman. Jeff Shi
Club Representative?? Sky Sun
Managing Director. Laurie Dalrymple.
Head of Recruitment and Football Development (changed to Sporting Director??) Kevin Thelwell.
Non Executive Directors John Bowater John Gough
Club Secretary. Matt Wild
Assistant Club Secretary Alison Matthews

Head Coach. Nuno.
Assistant Head Coach. Silva
First Team Coach. Albar.
Head of Recruitment???? John Marshall (is he still with the club?)

After that list we have the honorary stuff, youth coaches etc etc.Plus Mendes 'advising'.

All clear then who does what? What is the difference between, for example, assistant head coach and first team coach?

One of the puzzles for me is why after a year of Fosun there are still titled positions which probably mean nothing at all.

Shi and Sun are, in all probability, the only two who matter in the end.

Board is Shi, Sun, Bowater and Gough. They are 'top brass'

Dalrymple / Thelwell report to it. 'Head of' is not so grand a title

I don't really see any confusion, Thelwell heads the football side and Dalrymple the commercial side

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bowater and Gough 'Top Brass'? They have about as much clout as you or I. Sun is down as 'Club Representative' What's that mean?

I am sure Dalrymple and Thelwell do report to the board. Dalrymple I sort of get as general manager. Question is just what do they report? Once they've reported how much does it count?

Who does Nuno report to? Thelwell? Shi? Dalrymple title is Managing Director. So, does Nuno report to Thelwell in his role as Sporting Director (what's that mean?) Does then Thelwell report to Dalrymple (as Managing Director) who then reports to the board.?

The question is does anyone think Nuno would report to either? Or does he have the 'ear' of Shi?

Then there are the coaching positions I highlighted in my previous post. Plus Mendez in the background.

So far this summer Fosun are spending on players and new coaching. Shi is moving to England. As expected they seem to be putting in their own ideas. There is optimism the club just might be going up a gear, although it still has to translate into results on the pitch and this year and next will tell us what we need to know.

The confusion comes in having people in roles which seem unclear.

I don't accept that your suggestion in your post is quite that simple.

Back
Top Bottom