Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Who is going to Istanbul, with or without a ticket?

J

Jungleee

In keeping with our Europa League journey so far, who is going to Istanbul, with or without a ticket? Separate thread for each group stage away game I presume. Our first group stage away game, roughly 4-5 weeks away.

Match details: Besiktas v Wolves | 3rd October, 5.55pm

A Turkish friend advised that Taksim Square (a popular drinking haunt) should be off-limits for us given its proximity to Beşiktaş stadium.

I'll be there Weds-Sunday.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Went to Istanbul about 5 years ago, loved it. Think they play in the national stadium? If so yes its by Taksim Sq, near the modern part of the city centre, there's a lot of bars off lanes closer to the bridge/port, and round Galata tower. Easily enough to do for 4 days.
Seemed a great safe city for tourists, but maybe not so much for away fans?

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks a nice stadium be good to know how many away tickets they will give for the game.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Went to Istanbul about 5 years ago, loved it. Think they play in the national stadium? If so yes its by Taksim Sq, near the modern part of the city centre, there's a lot of bars off lanes closer to the bridge/port, and round Galata tower. Easily enough to do for 4 days.
Seemed a great safe city for tourists, but maybe not so much for away fans?
Having lived in Turkey and been to Istanbul you summed it up nicely - a fantastic city as a tourist but not so sure I'd walk around with a Wolves shirt on tbh!

Highwayman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
be interested to see how many tickets they give us. flights from Brum are about £300 currently.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Booked from Manchester just under £300 from Wednesday to Friday, this is with cancellation just in case. Can't wait for this.

Highwayman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
See they gave Liverpool 4,000 in 2015 but can't find anything more recent. London flights are about £160.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
See they gave Liverpool 4,000 in 2015 but can't find anything more recent. London flights are about £160.
Decent allocation might be the only one i could get a chance of getting a ticket

Highwayman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Key question - is it safe enough to take my two teenagers?

S

ShropshireLad

In keeping with our Europa League journey so far, who is going to Istanbul, with or without a ticket? Separate thread for each group stage away game I presume. Our first group stage away game, roughly 4-5 weeks away.

A Turkish friend advised that Taksim Square (a popular drinking haunt) should be off-limits for us given its proximity to Beşiktaş stadium.

I love Istanbul but on a match day, caution is the by-word. And Taksim Square is the centre of it all. I've seen two matches there long ago. It used to be a fabulous, largely open air stadium which overlooked the Bosphorus but it's been changed now.
besiktas stadium

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4456

I'd go but I don't fancy a spell in the local hospital.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

I was in Istanbul in July for a week and it was great for a Holliday, but I’m not going to the game. My brothers mate got stabbed when Leeds went to Galatasaray and 2 Leeds fans died. The Turkish fans are ****s. If it was Liverpool fans that died then we would still be hearing about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

BanburyWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
It's a brilliant place, I'm gutted it hasn't fallen at a time I can realistically go. It's quite a trip from Tucson now as well, hoping to make the Braga game if I can get a ticket.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got that week off so properly tempted. Flights are usually about £200 to Istanbul. Tram to the middle. Fairly cheap for hotel, beer and food.

S

ShropshireLad

At that time of year there'd be no need to book a hotel in advance. Arrive and get a room for a couple of nights somewhere.

M

Mr Wolf

We’ve got 6 booked in direct from Manchester Wednesday-Friday, £207. Every man & his dog going Braga & I think everyone in our group will get a ticket for this as some only members.

J

JD&Coke

I am about to book flight from Bhx and stay near Gulhane Park (plan to get ferry to stadium on match day) but having read some replies about safety - does anyone have any thoughts on whether travelling solo here as a female should be a concern for me?

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

Missing this unless wolves put a cheap package on.Going to Braga and I went to Turin which skint me out.I ay a ****ing millionaire.:(
Wolves might put a package on but no way will it be cheap

Yamalroite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ive got flights for this and traveling with caution. Tickets will be easy enough as most are going to Braga over this.
A very hostile place. Been to Turkey once before and hated it. The locals could do with chilling out abit, bit tense.

D

Deleted at request of member 4337

I am about to book flight from Bhx and stay near Gulhane Park (plan to get ferry to stadium on match day) but having read some replies about safety - does anyone have any thoughts on whether travelling solo here as a female should be a concern for me?
Should be safer as long as you don't wear colours and stay within the touristy places. I've been away before solo and never had issues.

Ruislip Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score

Solo Female Travel in Turkey

Have a read of this , may help you with your concerns.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ive got flights for this and traveling with caution. Tickets will be easy enough as most are going to Braga over this.
A very hostile place. Been to Turkey once before and hated it. The locals could do with chilling out abit, bit tense.

bin to Turkey loads of times.Not to a big football game,but I went with a waiter from the hotel to a local game once.They are a very knowledgeable bunch and recognise the wolves badge easily enough.;) The big games can be quite intimidating but ya dow need be to tell ya that.Do ya .

Yamalroite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
bin to Turkey loads of times.Not to a big football game,but I went with a waiter from the hotel to a local game once.They are a very knowledgeable bunch and recognise the wolves badge easily enough.;)

I got mugged down at a market out there. ******s. Was a tense place.
Cant wait to blast out some tunes about loving Pasta in the square ;):D

J

JD&Coke

Should be safer as long as you don't wear colours and stay within the touristy places. I've been away before solo and never had issues.
Thanks, I’ll keep my wits about me. I’ve travelled solo a lot but never to a football match with fans known for trouble ...... apart from with Wolves to local derbies in the 90’s

D

Deleted member 4453

I'm interested in this but it's virtually a month away.
Istanbul looks stunning, perhaps a bit of vigilance from supporters for this.

If I did go, I'd probably play it safe and go stadium early on and maybe leave it late after. Did the same when walking Cardiff and back last season.

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
If you're desperate to go, your best bet may be holding fire and seeing if the club are putting a travel package together. It may be more expensive than doing it off your own back, but it will probably be safer.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely it should be cheaper.:rolleyes: They want us there and look at all the profits they are gaining from being in it.Share and Share alike ay it.:p

jackdusty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Me and my lad booked, Stansted on Wednesday,back Friday night £150 ea,booked a hotel by the stadium to avoid going through the square for a bit of safety after the game.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another expert on here! Been there once and knows it all! I lived in Turkey for 3.5 years and as I said above, a great city to visit as a tourist but don't go around in colours and gangs as you will be asking for trouble, certainly from the police who don't work to the same rules as here! Be sensible and you'll have a great time.

Back
Top Bottom