Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Who in living memory have been our best captains?

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Mike Bailey for me, Coady is excellent too, Ricketts was perfect for us at the time. I really rated Jon de Wolf as well

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bailey and Coady.

I haven't had time to read the whole thread but since 1964 Mike Bailey would definitely get my vote as our best ever Captain.
I find it hard to fathom why anyone would consider Emlyn Hughes as a better Wolves Captain, good that he certainly was.
Also agree that Coady is our best Captain this century. :):)

Last edited:
S

ShropshireLad

I haven't had time to read the whole thread but since 1964 Mike Bailey would definitely get my vote as our best ever Captain.
I find it hard to fathom why anyone would consider Emlyn Hughes as a better Wolves Captain.
Also agree that Coady is our best Captain this century. :):)
I think a few have slid off topic a bit, matey. There are some which have been worthy of mentions but I agree, in my time since 1967 it would be Mike Bailey. Ince would figure highly because of the promotion year and then he largely kept the team together despite the difficulties we faced the following year. Hughes helped us win a trophy and for me Coady has been the best for a very long time, probably eclipsing Ince.

It is an opinions topic so I wouldn't diss anyone else's choices.;)

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think a few have slid off topic a bit, matey. There are some which have been worthy of mentions but I agree, in my time since 1967 it would be Mike Bailey. Ince would figure highly because of the promotion year and then he largely kept the team together despite the difficulties we faced the following year. Hughes helped us win a trophy and for me Coady has been the best for a very long time probably eclipsing Ince.

It is an opinions topic so I wouldn't diss anyone else's choices.;)

I wasn't trying to knock anyone else's choice which is why I nave added "good that he was" to my comment about Emlyn.
Mike Bailey was our "Captain Fantastic" for many seasons, whereas Hughes reigned only briefly.
I definitely think Coady has eclipsed Incey already and will go on to achieve much more. :)

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me Mike Bailey stamped his authority all over the '70s team. It was obvious to see. With respect to all of the others mentioned I don't think I have seen anybody to compare with Mike until right now with Coady.

He was also reigning supreme the in mid to late '60's! ;)

ginboomerang

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mike Bailey was good, but the player that pips him for me was Emlyn Hughes. I never rated him for Liverpool and England, but watching and listening to him play for my team changed my mind, fantastic leader and footballer.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady has been superb. He needs a few more years but then he would be the best since Wright and Bailey.

Derby Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ikeme Sako Ebanks-Blake. Ironically three who got injured at a crucial time. As awful as we was I still think if they were all fit we’d have stayed up.

I dunno, Saunders would've still wrestled defeat from the jaws of victory somehow. Barnsley away for example.

If we'd have stayed up we'd have suffered weeks of the intolerable ***** proclaiming to be the Messiah.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No offence intended, mate, but he was a poor captain, poor chap. He stopped scoring for a long string of games and should have never been given that responsibility.

I don't know if I'd say he was a poor captain, but it certainly weighed on him and you could clearly see it affected his performances.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let’s not rewrite history here. I’m no massive fan of Karl Henry although the season we got promoted and certainly the next season or so I thought he was immense given how little he cost. But let’s remember he was stripped of the captaincy given to Roger Johnson who was then an unmitigated car crash of a disaster so a lot of the “toxic” period people are referring to he wasn’t actually captain.

Uncle Festa

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally. Think Ince was overrated both as a captain and a player for us.

Dave Jones will tell you that he was an influential figure in the dressing room, but came here thinking he could coast and didn’t even want to train all week when he signed, but he then saw the ability of some of our younger players when he arrived, and had to change his attitude to training, otherwise he wouldn’t have even got in the team. I always thought he was over rated by Wolves fans and got away with a lot based on his name rather than his actual performances. He very rarely moved out the centre circle and would instead organise and bark his orders around the pitch. Good Captain in that he had the respect of the team, but apart from a very few games including the play off final when he was magnificent in nullifying Brown, he never really showed us the real Paul Ince, but was instrumental in giving us that experience and know how to get us promoted.

Mike Bailey and Keith Curle would be the best captains ive seen.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Captain Mike Bailey!

Here was a man born to lead, who drove the team forward and lead by example! There were games when we were on the back foot and his simple bloody minded courage and commitment to the cause and never say die spirit saw the entire team visibly lift its game.

An inspirational leader of the pack, and by some distance, the best in my time!

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Karl Henry mentioned in the same thread as Billy Wright....PMSL!

It's not that laughable compared to most of us are under the age of 50.

that teams smashed the Championship and stayed up for 3 years despite a lack of obvious funding/quality.

There must have have been some great characters going on somewhere.

T

themanwhobuiltthemoon

I completely disagree on Paul Butler. Never warmed to him and, ultimately, during the season we don't talk about anymore we needed a leader to rally and get us over the line. For whatever reason, that didn't happen...and we all know how it turned out.

S

ShropshireLad

Remember his ‘this is your life’ night?
Yeah. I know someone who worked for Thames TV who was involved in that programme. Hughes had obviously upset a fair few of Liverpool's players who refused to take part.

hoop

Reaction score
Ikeme Sako Ebanks-Blake. Ironically three who got injured at a crucial time. As awful as we was I still think if they were all fit we’d have stayed up.
So not Karls fault then?

D

Deleted member 4152

Yeah. I know someone who worked for Thames TV who was involved in that programme. Hughes had obviously upset a fair few of Liverpool's players who refused to take part.
Don’t spose they were happy when he headed that one off the line then!

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I completely disagree on Paul Butler. Never warmed to him and, ultimately, during the season we don't talk about anymore we needed a leader to rally and get us over the line. For whatever reason, that didn't happen...and we all know how it turned out.

This reminds me of that nice story that Paul Merson Used to tell about the World Cup game against Brazil in was it 2002 ... where England went one up and on the stroke of half time Brazil equalised from a free kick that looped over David Seaman!!

Sven was the manager at the time. The lads trooped into the dressing room a bit shell shocked !!!

Sven badly needed to rally the troops...... “we wanted Winston Churchill “ said Merson “ and he gave us Ian Duncan-Smith!!” :D

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't like or rate Mike Bailey, Emlyn Hughes for me

I went to Wolves a lot in the 70's and Mike Bailey was a superb captain for us. I am curious to know why there is this element of anti Mike Bailey people out there. I notice, at the time of posting, that Hollywood has not given any reasons for his comment. Not that he has to, but he was questioned on the point and has not clarified his comment at all. I am just curious to understand the thinking behind denigrating one of our finest.

It is a great shame that Jon De Wolf's time with us was so short, he would have been great for the longer term. I am just extremely grateful that, in Conor Coady, we have an excellent captain taking us into the future.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally. Think Ince was overrated both as a captain and a player for us.
I agree, sacrilege as it may be to many...he did a lot of shouting and standing around pointing..... Great player that, but a little bit over rated by some in his Wolves years

George AlooGobi

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

A Liverpool fan I used to know told me Emlyn used to knock Mrs Hughes about regularly

I've no idea whether this is generally common knowledge or not (it is for Liverpool fans over a certain age)

If it's true, does that detract from his legendary status?

Back
Top Bottom