Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Who are our Board and .........

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
....what do they do.
Any organisation must pick a panel to decide the objectives and then run it. It may be a dictatorship but usually a team. Those members either are there to have a role and an input or merely to take out of the organisation. What and who are ours???
Morgan and Moxey have come under fire and quite rightly so but are there other personalities who are maybe just sitting around collecting dosh and quodos for doing nothing?
in the last week it has been stated that Moxey is the fifth highest paid CEO in the premiership. Does that reflect a his performance? He may be effective as a financial officer but one must really question his ability as a football man to match the importance of his salary.
When I was young we started a youth club. We formed a committee and divided roles. Those who were responsible for those roles recruited help and we got the job done. It was a great success.
When you bring in people who know what they are doing and they want success it aint that difficult. Our club was based on successful models and we listened to feedback and went to people who knew what they were doing for help.
Does Morgan want to be a success the owner of Wolves? Has he brought in the right people to help him? Or has he got a few bumbling yes men around him that make him feel good?
Maybe Morgan is just relying on others who are not up to the job. If this is the case they are leading him into trouble. Maybe this board and the hangers on should be exposed even if they are heroes of the past like Bully and Murray who just toe the company line.
Oh yes that brings us to honesty. You remember honest Mick. Lets have the truth and then we can move on. Do those connected to the club really believe we have played well when all around know we haven't.
The thing is if Steve Morgan had come in with a good workable plan and brought in the right people on all levels to implement it he would be a bloody hero now.
So clear out the deadwood. Start at the top and filter it down. Do something different in football and bring in a board who have the skills to help the club not themselves.

T

Trotter

They are all successful local business men and Woves fans.

http://www.wolves.co.uk/page/WhosWho/0,,10307,00.html

Morgan owns club, so basically does what he wants. If the board aren't happy, ultimately they can resign.

Generally they do a good job. Things have gone badly wrong on the pitch this season. Hopefully lessons will be learned. I'm not defending the shambolic appointment of Connor, but non of us are aware of the full facts surrounding it.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sharples

Yes lets look for others to hunt and destroy. The sooner the better. Ill start with the chap who recruits the ball boys, you work from the board down. By Sunday we'll be a better club....

saturday boy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moxey runs a business that has enabled the football side of that business to get promoted to the Premier League, remain there for at least 3 seasons and operate on a financially self sufficient model. He does not choose which players to sign (any more), does not pick the team or determine the tactics.

What is Moxey under fire for?

S

Sharples

Moxey runs a business that has enabled the football side of that business to get promoted to the Premier League, remain there for at least 3 seasons and operate on a financially self sufficient model. He does not choose which players to sign (any more), does not pick the team or determine the tactics.

He is under fire because of "pie n pint" gate, being associated with Stoke and when things dont go to plan, someone must be blamed and then burnt until everyone is happy.

change change change change change :rolleyes:

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He is holding the football club back.
He has no footballing knowledge at all.
Since he has been here, we have seen 0871 ticket off lines, stupid booking fee's and £6 to re-activate a smart card??

He is a penny pincher the club does not need.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Simple question. Are you happy with the standard of football you are seeing? Do you think this standard of football will stop us from being relegated? If we are relegated do you think that we will be better of financially than still in the premiership?
And lastly for the highlighted part do you not think that as CEO he is responsible for the man who does those things? If not who is? That would answer your question at the end.

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In 3 months time Moxey will run a business that has just been relegated without so much of a fight having appointed a complete novice after sacking the previous manager after saying 'this job is not for a novice'. Moxey was very much involced in the frankly embarrassing process of recruiting the new manager and will be presiding on a club with their lowest number of early bird sales since the scheme began.

saturday boy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Since he has been here, we have seen 0871 ticket off lines, stupid booking fee's and £6 to re-activate a smart card??

None of these issues were being chanted at this weekend's protests.

andy-in-seat-190

Reaction score
He is under fire because of "pie n pint" gate, being associated with Stoke and when things dont go to plan, someone must be blamed and then burnt until everyone is happy.

change change change change change :rolleyes:

And if that doesn't let's have a witch to ensure that the club enters the dark ages from which it may never recover. Nothing like supporting your club through thick and thin. Maybe just maybe pulling together will do the trick - but other folks have their own agenda... :rolleyes:

saturday boy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Simple question. Are you happy with the standard of football you are seeing? Do you think this standard of football will stop us from being relegated? If we are relegated do you think that we will be better of financially than still in the premiership?
And lastly for the highlighted part do you not think that as CEO he is responsible for the man who does those things? If not who is? That would answer your question at the end.

No.

No.

We won't be bankrupt.

No, he is responsible for hiring him but not for the subsequent performance. In McCarthy he hired the best manager in terms of outcomes for a generation so not a shabby appointment really.

T

Trotter

I don't think anyone on here will defend these nonsense charges. The sooner we get rid of them the better.

Actually I'd like these charges to be made illegal. Wolves aren't the only organisation using this type of extortion.

S

Sharples

Could you show me a club who doesnt have 0871 ticket lines in our division?

D

Dan dingle

not sure how many know this but mr moxey is behind the ticket line , the mastercard,the wolves prepaid card (if you remember that) and now the wolves mobile . He has a lot of fat fingers in many pies , also he got a very nice cut from the bon jovi concert a few years back , he is a very clever buisness man and knows how to make money thats for sure but he hasnt got a clue when it comes to football buisness

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They are all successful local business men and Woves fans.

http://www.wolves.co.uk/page/WhosWho/0,,10307,00.html

Morgan owns club, so basically does what he wants. If the board aren't happy, ultimately they can resign.

Generally they do a good job. Things have gone badly wrong on the pitch this season. Hopefully lessons will be learned. I'm not defending the shambolic appointment of Connor, but non of us are aware of the full facts surrounding it.
Thankyou for your reply Trotter. I think we could have a long and detailed debate over your answer far beyond the method of exchanging views over a forum.
Morgan is suppose to be a successful businessman. Does he and the others actually bring their best business abilities with them or does something different happen when it comes to football.
What are those resources though and are they being harnessed well enough. I have a feeling that Morgan will listen to his top people in his business world but not use the same way of thinking in his role of owner of a football club.
I would hope lessons will be learned. They dont look like they are.
Personally speaking I dont think Morgan knows which way to turn and if he had one or two around him that knew that football world it would help tremendously.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No.

No.

We won't be bankrupt.

No, he is responsible for hiring him but not for the subsequent performance. In McCarthy he hired the best manager in terms of outcomes for a generation so not a shabby appointment really.
At least with your first two answers we have a coming together.:D
I think you are right in that we financially have our heads above water. We could debate whether it could be better but that is what opinions are about.
As to McCarthy I definitely think we would need to be in a pub with a few drinks before we found common ground on that one. I still think we would find more things to agree than disagree once we got past the initial differences.

Nero wolf

Reaction score
Fifth highest paid CEO?
That is one sick joke.
There is no coincidence that Stoke has moved on since getting rid of the fat overpaid one.
About time we go down that proven path as well.
Moxey out..the sooner the better.
Missed by no one within a couple of months.

T

Trotter

Thankyou for your reply Trotter. I think we could have a long and detailed debate over your answer far beyond the method of exchanging views over a forum.
Morgan is suppose to be a successful businessman. Does he and the others actually bring their best business abilities with them or does something different happen when it comes to football.
What are those resources though and are they being harnessed well enough. I have a feeling that Morgan will listen to his top people in his business world but not use the same way of thinking in his role of owner of a football club.
I would hope lessons will be learned. They dont look like they are.
Personally speaking I dont think Morgan knows which way to turn and if he had one or two around him that knew that football world it would help tremendously.

You seem to be advocating a Director of Football. If the right man can be found this is something I'd like too. I wouldn't be surprised if an ex-LFC player or manager arrived in that capacity soon. Morgan still has his old contacts.

E

Essex Wolf

Moxey does as he is told and expected of him. Morgan is the owner and he is the one that has created the mess.

Lets get it out of peoples heads that Morgan is a Wolves fan, he is not.

T

Trotter

Moxey does as he is told and expected of him. Morgan is the owner and he is the one that has created the mess.

Excellent point. We just need to find a Wolves fan willing to pump tens of millions of this own money (not debt) into the Club. Simple.

S

Sharples

Does that make it right? And where have you hidden Sharples, who is this imposter?

No, but its not something JM is specifically bringing in, its the norm. I dont agree its right, but it happens at all clubs.

We all know if he didnt do it that people would slate him for not taking advantage like other clubs do.

S

Sharples

He isn't a Wolves fan but I bet he has put more money into Wolves than you have.....

So wouldnt he care, at least as much, what happens?

E

Essex Wolf

Excellent point. We just need to find a Wolves fan willing to pump tens of millions of this own money (not debt) into the Club. Simple.

Well SJH done just that but that didn't work out too well unfortunately.

Much as I'd prefer a Wolves fan to be the clubs owner I don't really care as long as whoever it is does what's needed and for the benefit of the club. I don't see tht Morgan is achieving the best for Wolves right now.

Poor decision making on more than just one front has seen this season degenerate into a nightmare when it could so easily not have been.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You seem to be advocating a Director of Football. If the right man can be found this is something I'd like too. I wouldn't be surprised if an ex-LFC player or manager arrived in that capacity soon. Morgan still has his old contacts.
that title seems to have a negative connotation to it because of bad experiences between them and managers.
I am clear that a manager should run the day to day affairs ot the club. If there is a DoF then he should be there to liase with the board on the general direction of the club and how to support the manager to do that. But if things are going wrong and the manager is not capable of moving it on in the right direction the board then should not hang about in bringing in the right people.
What is going wrong at Wolves is that we do not have the confidence in the way the club is being run which largely is down to the performances on the park.

E

Essex Wolf

He isn't a Wolves fan but I bet he has put more money into Wolves than you have.....

So wouldnt he care, at least as much, what happens?

Oh that old boring and many times repeated clap trap.

I bet he has put more money in that the vast majority of Wolves fans. In fact I'd say he has put in more than any other than maybe SJH but so bloody what.

On average and on a pro rata basis does he put in a bigger % of his annual income? Pray tell Sharples. I somehow doubt it.

However that isn't the point here but as usual people like you chose to miss is as it suits you to.

Morgan is a business man and a very successful one in the world of property development/building. He has done a great deal of building at Wolves but not in the right areas and as a result Wolves look to be heading for relegation or does that issue not suit your comment?

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel that we need investment from other sources. Lets look at where the investment in the club has come from in the last 10-20 years: Sir Jack or Steve Morgan.

Obviously money is raised from various profitable sources such as season tickets, club shops, restaurant, stadium catering etc but I have felt for a long time that we need other investors at the club. Other than SM who on the current board has put money into the club? We have ex Led Zeps Robert Plant, ex Englande womens cricket captain Rachael Heyhoes Flint + (no disrespect) unknowns John Gough, Bob Laslett and John Bowater. None of these (correct me if I am wrong) have put a penny into the Club. If Morgan went tomorrow where would our money come from. Profits from the sources mentioned would be nowhere near enough unless we were in the lower divisions!

Obviously you need a board of directors to look after the best interests of the club but why not be a bit proactive and scour the 'universe' for people with clout who can provide the investment and help build on the solid financial foundations we have in place. We are still a club with a proud history and people still remember the great Billy Wright, Bill Slater, Peter Broadbent, Ron Flowers, Mike Bailey, John Richards, Derek Dougan, Peter Knowles etc etc.

You should never stand still in football, especially in the Premiership. Lets look forward and try to get in people who love our club and can take us forward. No yes men please!

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is this good job that the board do? I'm genuinely intrigued. If keeping us in a profit is the best someone can manage then I'm afraid you'll have to do better to convince me they are worthy of their titles.

I'm interested to see some people are advocating the blindless continuation of throwing money at the project and wondering where we will end up. Have you all learnt nothing about the last 20 years?

The profile and PR of the club is utterly dreadful. The cost of tickets at the club is high because we don't seem to have any grasp of the law of diminishing returns or maximising revenue from other areas. We have little in the way of strategic alliances as far as I can see, barely register in the community, don't get me started on the tat (including the shirt) in the club shop where we were one of the few clubs in the country to make a controversial strategic decision but one which has left most fans unhappy.

We don't seem to have a structure of any kind where the end goal is obvious. Mixed messages about expectations are fed to the fans, we are told we're a club following a policy of recruiting young, hungry players and turning them into premier league players but we don't want to spend abnormally so the obvious way to bypass that is to sell some while their stock is high- something we haven't done). The result is we sign players in the £500k-£2m bracket who have limited potential. But we aren't even geared up to take advantage of that best because 1. our scouting network is limited and backward so we are dipping into the same pool most of similarly sized rivals are without any real effort and 2. our coaching system appears to be limited and stale.

If we are investing heavily in the academy, what are we actually investing? I'm guessing its bricks, mortar, land and machinery. Contrast this with someone like Watford who have in fact invested comparatively very little but have positioned themselves in tandem with a school Harefield and have spent time, money and effort in learning about what actually makes an academy work, in analysing Ajax, Clairefontaine and others, talking to people- admitting their shortcomings and enlisting the help of people who can assist them in realising their dreams. Our attitude- Robbie Keane, Joleon Lescott Matt Murray and Wayne Hennessey did alright so why do we need to change? It smacks of arrogance and a club swimming in its own self-importance. We never evolve in an industry that is ever-changing, way in excess of Moores Law.

Any good business has a direction, an identity. Any good brand stands for something. We have no identity, and we don't stand for anything. So I'm really hoping to hear someone can tell me otherwise, and we are in fact a wonderful club at the forefront of everything.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who at Wolves, outside the manager (!?), has any credible authority on matters to do with football? I would submit that NONE of the current executive directors -- Morgan, Moxey, Gough, Bowater and Laslett -- has any more expertise than the average Wolves fan sitting in the stands. Of the non-execs, who wield no power anyway, only SGB could claim to have knowledge better than most supporters. None of this mattered much as long as things were ticking along, as they were, in a manner of speaking, since SM first appeared 4 years ago. Under MM we did fine in the Championship, got promotion and even, with a struggle, stayed up twice. No action needed by the Board on the football front, or so it must have seemed to them. But once things started going pear-shaped, it hasn't been pretty to watch. Morgan has become a bit of a bull in a china shop and he and Moxey seem to have mishandled the sacking/ appointing of a new manager issue completely. I would submit that if there had been someone with a bit more football knowledge within the club for them to turn to we might not have got the shambles we now have.

John Richards got the boot for (allegedly) mishandling the transfer of Robbie Keabe -- but at least he was a football man who had played at the top level and came across as a sensible bloke. I'm not saying that he in particular should have been kept on, but the composition of the present Board is surprising for its lack of breadth. Gough and Bowater are basically in construction, like SM, and Laslett is the power behind Chaucer. If you are going to have a Board of this kind, I think you also need a figure who can at least provide the Board with information about the game from the inside, in particular at key points like the appointment of a new manager.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The last few posts are now asking the questions I have started. Just because some presume that because they have a name and sit on a chair they are effective. But are they?

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any good business has a direction, an identity. Any good brand stands for something. We have no identity, and we don't stand for anything. So I'm really hoping to hear someone can tell me otherwise, and we are in fact a wonderful club at the forefront of everything.
Oh boy do I agree with this. For a long time I have heard from supporters and even managers forget the past, WAMIBC!!!, any old excuse. We are in a bad area!!
Where is the positive builld up. We do not promote this club. Why should anyone want to come to this club apart from money.
The first thing the board should be working on as you say is the brand - the direction. We cannot compete with the money clubs but we can more than compete in other areas.
How many good youngsters do you seriously think wanted to come to Wolves knowing they would have the creativity kicked out of them?
The club may not be in a very exciting area of the country but are the attractive reasons for here pushed into everyone's minds.
We have the scope for making this club competitive but the ineptness of the way the club is run is not anywhere near productive.

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Morgan has backed the manager. People shouting why didn't you spend need to open their eyes.

Circa £35million since promotion.

Under Hayward Jones didn't have this, although he blew £15mil getting us out the champ.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who at Wolves, outside the manager (!?), has any credible authority on matters to do with football? I would submit that NONE of the current executive directors -- Morgan, Moxey, Gough, Bowater and Laslett -- has any more expertise than the average Wolves fan sitting in the stands. Of the non-execs, who wield no power anyway, only SGB could claim to have knowledge better than most supporters. None of this mattered much as long as things were ticking along, as they were, in a manner of speaking, since SM first appeared 4 years ago. Under MM we did fine in the Championship, got promotion and even, with a struggle, stayed up twice. No action needed by the Board on the football front, or so it must have seemed to them. But once things started going pear-shaped, it hasn't been pretty to watch. Morgan has become a bit of a bull in a china shop and he and Moxey seem to have mishandled the sacking/ appointing of a new manager issue completely. I would submit that if there had been someone with a bit more football knowledge within the club for them to turn to we might not have got the shambles we now have.

John Richards got the boot for (allegedly) mishandling the transfer of Robbie Keabe -- but at least he was a football man who had played at the top level and came across as a sensible bloke. I'm not saying that he in particular should have been kept on, but the composition of the present Board is surprising for its lack of breadth. Gough and Bowater are basically in construction, like SM, and Laslett is the power behind Chaucer. If you are going to have a Board of this kind, I think you also need a figure who can at least provide the Board with information about the game from the inside, in particular at key points like the appointment of a new manager.
Yes I thought this was typical of how we play people out of position. John Richards was a football man not a financial man and that was his weak area and then they brought in the pie man who was a financial man and expect him to get it right about football. Uncle Jack was way off beam with who he trusted to run the club but his heart was in the right place. Morgan now has to decide which way he jumps.

H

hindheadwolves

Oh that old boring and many times repeated clap trap.

I bet he has put more money in that the vast majority of Wolves fans. In fact I'd say he has put in more than any other than maybe SJH but so bloody what.

On average and on a pro rata basis does he put in a bigger % of his annual income? Pray tell Sharples. I somehow doubt it.

However that isn't the point here but as usual people like you chose to miss is as it suits you to.

Morgan is a business man and a very successful one in the world of property development/building. He has done a great deal of building at Wolves but not in the right areas and as a result Wolves look to be heading for relegation or does that issue not suit your comment?
But surely he has given us more time in the PL than any of us dreamed of in the last 5 years. At the start of this season almost all felt we had done good business and were set up well. If we were mid table he would be lauded. Sometimes it is not about apportioning blame but whether a team can pull together when the chips are down. Supporters are part of that team.

D

dazmanwolf

The Wolves 'business' is run very well. The board ensure this and thats why we are one of the very few clubs to be in the black at the end of the financial year. Therefore we will be unlikely to be a club in freefall like Pompey.

The problem with this club is that there is a section of the fans who are always looking for a scapegoat to target and abuse if the team don't do well. May aswell be the kit man or the tea lady for all the good it does.

Either get behind the club or stop supporting them. None of the moaning or protests or abusing players will help us gain any positivity before the season ends. If I was JOH I would refuse to pull on a shirt after the abuse he was given while carrying his child. Abusing someone only has a negative impact on the team and club as a whole.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Wolves 'business' is run very well. The board ensure this and thats why we are one of the very few clubs to be in the black at the end of the financial year. Therefore we will be unlikely to be a club in freefall like Pompey.

The basic problem is not financial or administrative. It is the football side. We don't have one or more Board members who really know the game, or perhaps a Director of Football to advise them. All we have is people like you and me. I think the fact that none of the other Board members have put in any money makes things even worse -- when the chips are down and the big decisions are made, it's one man, Morgan, that is bound to be deferred to as he owns the club totally. The executive directors are his appointees (except for Jez, and he's his employee). All of them are business men, but what do they really know about football and the people they are appointing?

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What planet some people on, just think about that statment for a while. Is he employed as a scout, coach, or football manager? No, so I think we should accept that compared to the current highly qualifed coach/manager, the former manager who got this club back into the premier league - and every other failed manager before Jez does not/nor should know about that side of the game.

However, he has been a football administrator for the best part of 15 years in some form or another at Glasgow Rangers, Stoke City, and Wolverhampton Wanderers. Running a tight ship as required by the owners and respected enough in the industry to be a member of Primier league, football league, and FA groups and working parties.

I suspect that he knows more about the internal workings, politics, agents, and players motivations that you could even dream of. You dont work at the top of this profession for very long if you are getting taken for a ride.

Industry standard practice, we might not like it but how would he explain that to the owner when every other team do exactly the same. And if you happen to find one that does not do it, are they enlighten or just missing an opportunity?

Spent best part of £35m and are the 5th biggest spenders in the premier league. Kept the business side of things strong, made a profit which can be re-invested, and protects the longer term future of the club - also I should say that he is an employee who does what the owner wants.

W

wanderer24

No, but its not something JM is specifically bringing in, its the norm. I dont agree its right, but it happens at all clubs.

We all know if he didnt do it that people would slate him for not taking advantage like other clubs do.

I wouldn't slate him. Just as I praise the club for being the only club and spends within its means I think our club should operate differently and as a family club. We are not just a business who looks to take advantage of our customers but a family who looks out for each other for the long term good of the club. The premium rate numbers are a scandal regardless of who else does it. It is counter active to motivating people to purchase tickets as I personally will never phone that number again.
Cup tickets should be part of the season ticket, which should encourage other supporters to go because there might actually be an atmosphere in the ground. Games which will have low demand should have genuinely discounted prices which ensure we sell out. Yeah, raise prices for the big teams because the holiday fans will turn out for those games regardless but lets see to genuine attempts to fill the ground and not just maximise profits.

I won't continue with every element of the clubs goods and services but I do think the general attitude of Moxey and the club is what can we get away with, how much can we fleece them for. I dont get any impression of them thinking, what can we do to give the fans a good deal. It's not always the application but the intention which I find disturbing.

Of course he the chief executive and not figurehead which the fans should or would appreciate, but i really don't get any inclanation that he gives a flying $$$$ about the fans.

I would put money on Moxey being pivotal in terms of ensuring Mick stayed on as manager much beyond his expiry date and also probably pushed for Connor to take over. He understands balance sheets but he hasn't got a clue about football and this is something we lack at board room level.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So in response to my question pleading for evidence that the board are doing a great job except for the fact we probably won't go into administration when we go down, the only answer I get is that we won't go into administration when we go down?!

Back
Top Bottom