Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Which Wolves Player Scored This Goal?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
OK, I'll give everyone a laugh and stick my neck out.

Only from the fact I think it looks like a 4 I'm going Mike Bailey away at Spurs.

@Big Saft Kid will be along with the right answer later.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was 16 then and living about 5 miles away in Twickenham and went to all the games in London I could get to, esp the near ones, Fulham and Chelsea. Amazing to me to think I was in the crowd that day. The great George Cohen at the start with our Mike Bailey. Craven Cottage has always been pretty much my favourite away day, where ever I've been living at the time. A nice stroll along the river, lots of good pubs and eateries. They really were happy days. It brings tears to your eyes listening to the commentator going on about our recent league and cup wins and our fame in Europe. Those days out for a young lad have led to a life long addiction to the old gold. Will we ever see their like again?

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just catching up with this. It is indeed Mike Bailey, opening day of 67-68 at Craven Cottage, we won 2-1. I didn't see the game, was in France on holiday with 8 other student reprobates in a Ford Thames minibus, remember them? Remember anxiously buying a copy of the Daily Express (!?!?) in a shop in Nice to get the result a day or so later (no Internet back then!). I think Doog got the opening goal. My best mate was a Fulham fan, he was mightily ****ed off! Three days later we played the Albion at Molineux in front of 52,000. Drew 3-3. Tony Brown scored with his hand and Phil Parkes got sent off after chasing him down the pitch! There followed a running battle in Queen Square! Happy days!

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just catching up with this. It is indeed Mike Bailey, opening day of 67-68 at Craven Cottage, we won 2-1. I didn't see the game, was in France on holiday with 8 other student reprobates in a Ford Thames minibus, remember them? Remember anxiously buying a copy of the Daily Express (!?!?) in a shop in Nice to get the result a day or so later (no Internet back then!). I think Doog got the opening goal. My best mate was a Fulham fan, he was mightily ****ed off! Three days later we played the Albion at Molineux in front of 52,000. Drew 3-3. Tony Brown scored with his hand and Phil Parkes got sent off after chasing him down the pitch! There followed a running battle in Queen Square! Happy days!
BSK, another great post! Do you genuinely remember all this or is it recorded in a tattered old scrapbook or do you Google it? I hope it's one of the first 2 suggestions?

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was 16 then and living about 5 miles away in Twickenham and went to all the games in London I could get to, esp the near ones, Fulham and Chelsea. Amazing to me to think I was in the crowd that day. The great George Cohen at the start with our Mike Bailey. Craven Cottage has always been pretty much my favourite away day, where ever I've been living at the time. A nice stroll along the river, lots of good pubs and eateries. They really were happy days. It brings tears to your eyes listening to the commentator going on about our recent league and cup wins and our fame in Europe. Those days out for a young lad have led to a life long addiction to the old gold. Will we ever see their like again?
With Waggy giving Cohen the run around,a Fulham fan shouting "is your world cup medal slowing slowing you down?"

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
BSK, another great post! Do you genuinely remember all this or is it recorded in a tattered old scrapbook or do you Google it? I hope it's one of the first 2 suggestions?
I have trouble remembering my own wedding anniversary but I have a photographic memory when it comes to virtually any football match I have attended, no matter how long ago it was, and all the context that surrounded it. I do have record books, but if I was actually at a given match, I don't need to consult them (and quite often they are wrong anyway, getting the scorers in the wrong order for instance).

Speaking about that 67-8 season, by the way, me and the other lads were still in France the following Saturday when we played at home against the mighty Leeds... and beat them 2-0! That was such a big deal that it even made it into the French football paper L'Equipe, which was amazed at 'la victoire de Wolverhampton, face a Leeds'!

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to be in attendance, although sadly there's very little I can remember about the game. I still have the programme though which very properly lists the Wolves' players (apart from Ernie Hunt) using their full first names, ie. Philip Parkes, Robert Thomson, Michael Bailey etc. In The Big Match opening clip two other Wolves' players are shown in addition to Bailey and The Doog. The no. 7 on his shirt confirms one as Terry Wharton and I believe the other is Dave Burnside. Ronnie Allen preferred the dependability of Burnside to the more talented but less reliable Peter Knowles for the opening games of the new 67/68 season but Knowles was soon to become a regular after Hunt had been transferred to Everton. Both Burnside and Knowles had their own group of admirers and those of us who stood in the North Bank will recall the rival chants of "Peter Knowles", "Burnside".

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have trouble remembering my own wedding anniversary but I have a photographic memory when it comes to virtually any football match I have attended, no matter how long ago it was, and all the context that surrounded it. I do have record books, but if I was actually at a given match, I don't need to consult them (and quite often they are wrong anyway, getting the scorers in the wrong order for instance).

Speaking about that 67-8 season, by the way, me and the other lads were still in France the following Saturday when we played at home against the mighty Leeds... and beat them 2-0! That was such a big deal that it even made it into the French football paper L'Equipe, which was amazed at 'la victoire de Wolverhampton, face a Leeds'!
You know, I enjoy your 'history' posts on here perhaps more than any other. Perhaps because we're of a similar vintage and perhaps because I honestly couldn't remember who scored at Ipswich the other night now. I think if you could be bothered you could write a fascinating book of all your memories watching Wolves over the years. I'd buy it and keep on posting!

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Waggy giving Cohen the run around,a Fulham fan shouting "is your world cup medal slowing slowing you down?"
I think GC was a right back and I'm sure Waggy terrorised him. The other goal in that game came from a Waggy cross right on to the head of Doog! GON should sit Neto and Sasa in a room and get them to see it and then get them to practice it!

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to be in attendance, although sadly there's very little I can remember about the game. I still have the programme though which very properly lists the Wolves' players (apart from Ernie Hunt) using their full first names, ie. Philip Parkes, Robert Thomson, Michael Bailey etc. In The Big Match opening clip two other Wolves' players are shown in addition to Bailey and The Doog. The no. 7 on his shirt confirms one as Terry Wharton and I believe the other is Dave Burnside. Ronnie Allen preferred the dependability of Burnside to the more talented but less reliable Peter Knowles for the opening games of the new 67/68 season but Knowles was soon to become a regular after Hunt had been transferred to Everton. Both Burnside and Knowles had their own group of admirers and those of us who stood in the North Bank will recall the rival chants of "Peter Knowles", "Burnside".
Thanks for this. I remember well the 'Peter Knowles, Burnside' chant. I was still at school in 1967 and played winger in the school x1; my first Wolves hero was Terry Wharton. It seems like yesterday tbh, where does time go?

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks for this. I remember well the 'Peter Knowles, Burnside' chant. I was still at school in 1967 and played winger in the school x1; my first Wolves hero was Terry Wharton. It seems like yesterday tbh, where does time go?
Davey Burnside, of course, started at the Albion. When he was a kid there he used to do exhibitions of ball-juggling at HT!

This, from Wiki:

His potential was quickly spotted by First Division West Bromwich Albion to whom he moved in December 1955, signing professional papers in February 1957. He soon acquired nationwide fame for his incredible ball-juggling abilities when, in October 1957, during the half-time in a televised friendly match against Russian team CDSA Moscow he performed his tricks to entertain the crowd. In 1960, he entered a heading competition organised by the Sunday Dispatch newspaper. He managed 495 clean headers without a break and although this was far from a record it amply demonstrated his ball skills.[4]

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Re your second sentence, talking of which when and why did Kilman suddenly want the full Maximilian rather than Max?

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Terry is Wolves all time record penalty taker and never missed a pen. apart from some exhibition game
if I remember

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Terry is Wolves all time record penalty taker and never missed a pen. apart from some exhibition game
if I remember
This sort of stuff starts me off. I had to see how many and lots of places state 43 out of 44, but the excellent interview with him here says he didn't think he scored that many, but the one he missed was in a friendly with Aberdeen in the States.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This sort of stuff starts me off. I had to see how many and lots of places state 43 out of 44, but the excellent interview with him here says he didn't think he scored that many, but the one he missed was in a friendly with Aberdeen in the States.

Thanks so much for posting this. As I said above he was my very first Wolves hero, followed by the Doog, Robbie Keane and Bully. I'll sit down with my morning coffee tomorrow and read it through. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom