Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Which of the three?

Which out of the three supposed candidates do you want?

• Total voters

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it's true that it's down to Davis, Jackett, and McClaren, which is our favoured candidate?

Warning, I've never posted a poll before, so the actual poll might fail to appear!

R

robwolf

I put Davis, but it could just as easily have been Jackett. McClaren, no thanks!

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Think all three would be decent in their own way but all three have drawbacks.

- McClaren has a fantastic reputation as a Coach and of developing young talent. Also has good contacts, won major trophies and has managed similar-sized/bigger clubs. My biggest concern is would his 'reputation' and 'baggage' allow supporters to unite behind him?

- Davis has done excellent job at Crewe working with youngsters and under a Director of Football. He is on an upward curve in his career and would probably be afforded more time and patience than the other candidates if he didn't get off to a flying start. My big concern here is can we afford to make another 'risky appointment' in our current state and after our last three appointments. Would the job be too big for him?

- Jackett laid solid foundations at both Swansea and Millwall and is a hugely respected figure in the game. My personal view is he would be steady, if unspectacular, and that the style of football would be similar to that under McCarthy based on graft, playing at a high-tempo and the odd flair player.

I'd be happy with all three for different reasons but would probably lean towards the steadying influence of Jackett in our current state.

A

andyc225

I'll pin my colours to the McClaren mast. I think he's got the experience needed in the situation we find ourselves. Davis would be my second choice. Jackett is a no as far as I'm concerned; he wouldn't offer the football I want to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Batman

If this really I the short list then I'm over the moon.

I would honestly be fine with any of them I've gone for McClaren because I've said all along it's a job for a man with experience but reading about Davis has started to change that opinion.

S

Shergar

I'd go McClaren.
IF he has asked the right questions of the boards intentions and ambitions.
IF he has been given assurances that he will be supported through the change.

NOT, if it is a job for a job's sake with all the usual rhetoric that Saunders mumbled out.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coyle is apparently not in the running.

I'd be happy with Jackett or Davis. Both have their very different merits and would suit us depending on what you believe is the way forward for us. If we are relying on the academy both candidates are strong but Jackett edges it for me as his experience probably gives him the edge in ego management, which will be important in rooting out the poison within the club.

McLaren appears to be yesterday's man but you could see the club appointing him. I don't think he'd be as reviled as Saunders but I doubt he will get many votes on here which I expect is a fair reflection, and you wonder whether that will play a part in the boards decision.

W

WasStefan

Whichever of the three comes can we all please get behind him?

F

FLEET WOLF

I would go with Davies, simply because he is young and they have always got things right at Crewe, bringing young players through. I would also be fairly happy with Jackett. Mclaren could I am sure do the job well, but the press would be on his back after a couple of bad results, so, probably best not to got the former England manager route again!

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whichever of the three comes can we all please get behind him?

Some people need to realise we are a League 1 club.

Those 3 candidates are excellent options for a club in our position so who ever doesn't get behind them really will be showing their true colours towards the club.

R

raging bull

hoping for Davis as he will have gold and black running through him already . just hope the restraints are not to severe from thelwell and moxey to hold him back from doing the job required and removing the dead wood .

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Davis for me with a new beginning.

Wouldn’t say no to Jackett though.

Tring Wolf

Reaction score
Jackett's odds drifting significantly. Out to 10/1 with SkyBet.

W

Wolvesthrunthru

What we need is someone to bring us all 'back together' as Mick did when he was appointed.We were all behind him as one from the start and we all bought in to what was happening.
I think Davis, being 'one of us', would be the ideal candidate to do that again

D

Deleted member 4023

If & its a bif IF - this is the case, then for me its Davis - all day long - He's worked his way up from non league & is ambitious to want to work at the highest level.Doesn't come with any excess baggage/failure/negativity

Strats

Reaction score
1 ... Jackett
2 ... McClaren
3 ... Davis

I wouldn't want Davis anywhere near the job. His appointment would be a huge risk and, in the event of failure, would lead to another sacking ... and what would make the club even more of a laughing stock than it is right now.
I'm not doubting that Davis has earned his reputation as a good coach at that level but now isn't the right time.

B

bridgnorthwolf

Kenny Jackett.

Wouldn't be upset with Davis.

Very mixed thoughts about McClaren.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Out of those three Davis by some distance.

I wouldn't mind McClaren but if he doesn't get off to a flying start things will turn against him extremely quickly. I can see it now, a poor start leaving us in the bottom half by the end September/beginning of October and looking for yet another manager. We can't afford to be in that position.

Jackett, never really kicked Millwall on. Probably the safest option but an extremely boring appointment and probably wouldn't kick us on either should we get promoted. Uninspiring would be the one word to sum up his appointment.

D

Deleted member 3751

Davis is the romantic gamble, Jackett is in my opinion the safest choice and I feel McClaren has too much baggage.

I like a gamble.

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1. Jackett. I just think we need stabilisation, someone who has been there and done it at this level. He's had success at other clubs with less money, if it wasn't for Millwalls small budget and being unable to keep hold of Chris Wood I think they'd have finished much higher up the table.

2. Davis. If the club want an up and coming manager and are willing to stop this 6 monthly management cleansing exercise (Saunders doesn't count because he should never have got the job in the first place) then he's the man for the job. In my opinion he'll be a top manager one day, whether it'll be at Wolves is another matter.

3. McLaren. Wouldn't even be on my list. I think as an ex-England manager he brings far too baggage.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Davis for me. Jackett acceptable. Big NO to McClaren.

W

Woffles

Davis is the romantic gamble, Jackett is in my opinion the safest choice and I feel McClaren has too much baggage.

I like a gamble.

This for me too.

Also on McClaren - as well as the baggage he has a long standing reputation for boring football (which is mentioned by fans throughout his career all the way from Middlesboro through to Forest)- we want to build this new model based around exciting, attacking football. For me, he's just a bad fit for the job we now want doing. He'd have been a good choice to bring in after Mick to try and keep us in the Premier, but not now.

Quicksilver

Reaction score
I wouldn't be disappointed with Jackett or Davis, but McClaren please no, we're going to be a big enough target next season as it is, let alone with this bloke in charge. As been said already, whoever it is can we all get behind him?

Tring Wolf

Reaction score
It's a strange one really. If you look at their CV's, then McClaren has some incredible achievements on there. Coaching United's treble-winning side, winning Middlesbrough's only ever major trophy and taking them to a UEFA Cup Final. Then winning FC Twente's only League title in their history against the likes of Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord. I can't think of any English Manager who has achieved that sort of success since Sir Bobby Robson.

And yet still, I have a worry that if we didn't make a flying start, the supporters may turn on him due to the 'baggage' of his England days. Crazy really.

The one thing that does comfort me is reading Sheriff Woody's appraisal of Davis on the other thread. Makes me feel that he would be more of a calculated risk than another experiment. I think we'd be in good hands with any of the three names above.

S

Smudgewolf

I wouldn't be disappointed with Jackett or Davis, but McClaren please no, we're going to be a big enough target next season as it is, let alone with this bloke in charge. As been said already, whoever it is can we all get behind him?

totally agree

D

Deleted member 4099

I voted Davis but wouldn't be disappointed with Jackett. McClaren is a risk due to his history. The press will be all over him.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Davis for me. I dont want McClaren anywhere near us.

W

Woffles

It's a strange one really. If you look at their CV's, then McClaren has some incredible achievements on there. Coaching United's treble-winning side, winning Middlesbrough's only ever major trophy and taking them to a UEFA Cup Final. Then winning FC Twente's only League title in their history against the likes of Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord. I can't think of any English Manager who has achieved that sort of success since Sir Bobby Robson.

And yet still, I have a worry that if we didn't make a flying start, the supporters may turn on him due to the 'baggage' of his England days. Crazy really.

I don't think it is crazy. Man Us success over the years has come under a number of coaches (none of whom have then gone on to manage/head coach to anything like the same level).

In his time at Middlesboro he had a massive (top 4 or 5) budget and yet never developed them beyond a mid table team. 1 League Cup and a UEFA final (mauling) was, for me, par at best given the side he inherited and the backing he had.

Twente first time was the period of genuine achievement in his career and a sign that he may have some real ability - but then he went back there and failed.

He's failed in his last three jobs and of course spectacularly as England manager previously.

Not to mention that his reputation is for boring defensive football.

Big name, baggage, boring football, never worked at the level we're at or done the kind of job we need someone to do - not for me I'm afraid.

Wolvesfcneil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
voted for Jackett but Davis would do and i'm on the fence about McClaren

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd be happy for any of the three, all for different reasons. Wish we'd had this choice when appointing Deano (no offence to him because he seems a nice bloke) but a chairman getting his caddy to run his football club was a big risk.
Excited that whoever we get in, we'll have a new bunch of players actually playing football with proper tactics and creating more than 1 chance per game!

K

kapitiwolf

It is still Jacket for me, but happy with Davis if he gets the nod.

Back
Top Bottom