Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Where were you when...?

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bored of Wolves right now if I am honest.

Change of talk/mood and something I don't think has been done before.

But I am always one of those "I remember where I was when.." moments and would be good to share and read of others.

Feel free to add/remove any of the below, but to me these are events that I will always remember when and where I was. Some very poignant and emotional. It is the highs and lows of supporting the club I cherish. Without sounding morbid and wanting to gain attention, my health is not great at the moment, life may be catching up, so I have enjoyed reflecting on these moments with my second biggest love after family, of course.

- Emlyn Hughes signed for Wolves. I was doing a job in Burton at the time and talk was rife he was signing. I loved Emlyn, arguably my favourite captain. The customers house we was working on at that point was a rife Forest fan and he was actually mentioning how much he hoped Cloughie would make a move for him. Anyway, he came out to me on a bright summers afternoon and told me Emlyn had signed for the Wolves. I was absolutely thrilled. Probably one of the first signings I can recall where you seem to get wind of beforehand and there was an anticipation.

- Andy Gray signing to break the transfer record. I was round my Mom and Dads in Short Heath, me and Dad trying our best not to take the frustration out of each other on the bathroom we was fitting (why didn't we just get a proper plumber..) and it was on the front of the express and star when we went down to get some tay. Similar to the above really, but much more high profile given the fee.

- Chorley !! Now I was not there. Was you?

- Bully scoring for England against Scotland. I was actually at a wedding in Cannock (I think..) I was trying my best all day to get hold of a radio, not one of the staff had a remote interest when I was trying to ask - but I couldn't settle. Mrs Walsall was going barmy at me but had no choice but to sit and take it when at around 7pm on the night someone at the bar mentioned it. I was so proud. I enjoyed that wedding as a result.

- That game at Bolton. Didn't go but went to the first leg and saw us absolutely batter them and to somehow only be 1 goal Infront. Shamefully, we was on holiday in Salou for the 2nd leg. I looked everywhere to see who had it on, nowhere or nobody. We found one bar, English Tavern I want to say it was called and he told me he would get it on for me. But Mrs Walsall had got her way, my lad who must have only been about 7/8 at the time was tired and needed feeding and my daughter who would have been about 11/12 had no interest. So we all went out for something to eat for them to have an early night. I could not eat. All that was going through my head was "Wembley, promotion, surely they cant blow it here.." I was a wreck. For the young lot now who have social media etc at there finger tips, the feeling I had that night not knowing was unspeakable. 9pm came and Mrs, kids all went back to hotel and we got them to kip. So there I am racing about around 11pm, desperate to find out the score. If I had been offered it for free from a 10/10 Spanish senorita, I wouldn't have had a faint interest. I come across the bar who the chap said he would try to get it on for me, only for him to say he had no idea what the score was. Packed, rammed and loud in there, I was at my wits end. But then I had a tap on the shoulder, turned to see a chap slouched up the bar and before he even spoke I knew by the look on his face. "We lost 2-0 mate...out". I walked around Salou for the next hour. I don't think anything has come close to the footballing agony I felt that evening.

-Bully retiring. You always knew it was coming I think from about 97 onwards. He just did not really seem to be able to consistently recreate that magic and/or stay fit. But for some reason I had optimism that summer of 99, could just have been me but he seemed more determined and optimistic than ever. He was 34, it still seemed conceivable we could have a season or two in the Premier League with Bully. One of few times Mrs Walsall seemed to have some Wolves empathy, she knew how much he meant to me during those years, he was the only thing we had in some ways - as I got back home after a fairly long slog for her to instantly say "I am really sorry Steve... But Bully has retired, just been on central news".

- When Igor Balis scored that penalty against Bradford. I remember in the days/weeks leading up to it. That was the game I thought it would swing back in our favour, with us playing Wimbledon the following game. I was genuinely hopeful. I listened to every ****ing minute of that game on WM. Not ever have I been that invested in somebody else's game, least at all, them. 95 mins come up, they win a penalty. I was in despair. When they describe Balis putting it away and the sound of those inbred going berserk, I have turned, threw my can of Bud at the wall and booted the settee that hard I gave my foot a good sprain. Quite funny almost, but my god, whereas the Bolton above was pain and emotion - that was pure anger. How on earth we threw that away that year, I will never ever know.

- Denis Irwin signing. This was a biggie to me and from what I remember, there was not a link before hand either. We was actually away in good old Towyn at the time. I distinctively remember that summer the theme being we had spent all the transfer kitty a year before. DJ was well backed. So I was in no rush to buy the Sun/News of the World which was always packed with transfer gossip/juice. Brought a paper from the shop that morning off the caravan site and there it was, back page of the News of the World. After the heartache a few months before, it actually made me feel a little better. There was some hope and it was the signing of him and Ince that edged us over the line IMO.

- Reading away leg. Do you know what, maybe sometimes fate does strange things. It seemed deja vu but this time holidaying in Tenerife and we was in a bar that had it on. Taylors lounge, los cris if anyone knows it. I am sat in there surrounded by Reading, one other Wolves fan who I hadn't spoken to up until then, and my lad who would have been about 15 then I reckon. Mrs Walsall and my daughter did there own thing because from the outset knowing it was coming up, they did not want to be anywhere near me. Even my old man bless him, who loved Wolves (thanks dad..) chose to stay in his apartment with my Mom. One, sheer nerves. Two, it would have probably hurt even more us both suffering together. Alex Rae slams that home and me, my lad and the chap next to me have just lost it. The pain I suffered 7 years before had at least gone, we was one step closer. What is actually quite funny is, just after we actually put the ball in the net again. I think it may have been Shaun Newton? At this point, I have ran out the bar and into the street with my top off !! Only for my lad to follow me out "Dad, dad!! He was offside!!" That kind of eased the tension between myself and the 10-15 or so Reading fans! I treated my boy to a few Strongbows, got back to the room about midnight and I couldn't help myself.. tapped on my Dads door half cut and he has rushed out and grabbed my lad and me both. Very quickly saying "your nans asleep, will see you in the morning". My dad wasn't very intimate really so that was a special moment that I will cherish. Fair to say we enjoyed the rest of that holiday and it is no wonder I have a place out there now and spend so much of my retirement here, it is one happy place with special memories.

- FOSUN takeover. Fast forwarding quite quick now. I was in vision express in Aldridge waiting for my appointment and my phone has bleeped. Text message from the club (is that even still a thing???) and there it was. Wolves can confirm they have been taken over by FOSUN group. It was only about a month of speculation and the thread we had on here was superb. But the official confirmation was a great feeling. No more Moxey. Investment. No more Jackett, which I feel quite harsh for saying, but I did not enjoy his last 12 months as manager unfortunately. I trotted over to the Turtles head micro bar for a couple of lovely pints, followed by an Oriental express takeaway. Delighted I was.

- Neves signing. "If Wolves sign Ruben Neves, I will post naked pictures of my wife". Those words will forever be associated with the idiot creating this thread! What will be quite ironic is when he does leave Wolves. I said that on the back of not buying for one minute he could be a Wolves player. What has transpired is 6 years of wonderful service, over 250 (?) appearances and goals that as beautiful as Mrs Walsall once was.. 30-40 years ago :D When he gets the move he has more than warranted, I will be very grateful and proud of Ruben Neves.

- Nuno leaving. After Bolton, I am going to say this is the most hurt I have been. Possibly on par with the choke season, if not worse. It is ridiculous really how much love I had for that man. All I wanted in the days leading up to it, was for the season to finally come to an end, get the fans back in the ground and to just recreate that love between Club/Manager/Player/Fans. He needed it and we needed it but fosun took that away from us. I am so grateful for fosun, but I dont think I have ever truly forgiven them for that decision. It is what we built everyone on up until then. Yet, when it pinged on my phone that we would part company and Man Utd would be his final game, I cannot even explain the emotions. I was devastated. Sounds dramatic, but I instantly turned off my phone and sat in my little man cave in the Garden and just had a couple of drinks to reflect. I went to Molineux (no ticket) for the Utd game and the scenes that afternoon were something I never have known or saw for a manager/player who had been effectively sacked. I still stand by it that he should never have left the club. It is single headedly the worst decision this club has made, to date. There was and still is unfinished business. What he created was unique and I sincerely hope one day he returns.

I did not want to end on a sad note, but such is Wolves!!!

May have missed a few moments, but above are the standouts.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Albeit times have changed but the sacking of Nuno should be on Wolves eternal litany of shame along with the sacking of Cullis (a truly appalling and heartless act when Cullis was ill) and Ronnie Allen. Nuno was a fine manager and also a very decent and charismatic person. He would be back in the manager's seat if the decision was mine.

The signing of Derek Dougan is high on my list of great Wolves memories. It is difficult to explain to those who did not see him play the excitement he generated.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sir Jack's funeral - Like I suspect many on here I was lining the streets that day to say thank you and goodbye to the great man. A fitting tribute to someone who had the chance to do what all of us would have done if we had ever had the opportunity and money.

we love jez moxey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ruben neves signing- lying on the hospital floor, the Mrs Ill after the birth of our 4th child. Can't believe it's been nearly 6 years. Love u Ruben xx

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Returning from a holiday overseas, my mate picked me up from Manchester airport and the first words he uttered were " you've sold Robbie Keane to Coventry". It was a sad end to a happy holiday.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember when Peter Knowles announced he was retiring from football to become a Jehovahs Witness. My all time favourite Wolves player, but Ruben runs him close. Definite regular England international of the future when he packed it in Imo.

Couldn’t believe it and I was heartbroken. Always thought he would change his mind, but he stuck to his principles (or was it his wife’s). I was at his last match against Nottingham Forest where we were winning 2-0 and it ended 2-2. The Mol was singing ‘Please don’t leave us Peter Knowles’ for the whole 90 minutes but it made no difference.

A player with the world at his feet, playing for my hometown team.

Remember we had a player at the time named Paul Walker, who people thought could replace ‘Knocker’. Nobody could replace him imo and we signed Mike O’Grady from Leeds, who never worked out, despite scoring a ‘worldie’ against Tesco’s.

PK went on to work in a small tile company and then on to M and S in the city centre, where I used to see him regularly. Never seemed to age and I would regularly see him talking to customers and earwig him talking about his football days.

Always respected PK for his decision though, but what could have been eh.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sir Jack's funeral - Like I suspect many on here I was lining the streets that day to say thank you and goodbye to the great man. A fitting tribute to someone who had the chance to do what all of us would have done if we had ever had the opportunity and money.
Yes, I well remember that day.

I could have done anything on that day as I was working for myself and semi retired.

No other thought than to get out of bed and show my respects and felt proud to do so.

I remember being in Queen Square, where they had a big screen and the thousands who lined the road. After the service Bully and Robert Plant walked right in front of where I was standing and I shook Planty’s hand (Shook Bully’s loads of times previously). Didn’t wash for a week!

A wonderful tribute to a wonderful man.

rubyloo

Reaction score
- When Igor Balis scored that penalty against Bradford. I remember in the days/weeks leading up to it. That was the game I thought it would swing back in our favour, with us playing Wimbledon the following game. I was genuinely hopeful. I listened to every ****ing minute of that game on WM. Not ever have I been that invested in somebody else's game, least at all, them. 95 mins come up, they win a penalty. I was in despair. When they describe Balis putting it away and the sound of those inbred going berserk, I have turned, threw my can of Bud at the wall and booted the settee that hard I gave my foot a good sprain. Quite funny almost, but my god, whereas the Bolton above was pain and emotion - that was pure anger. How on earth we threw that away that year, I will never ever know.

In a gym in Nottingham - they had soccer saturday on with sound down. I saw the news of that goal flashing across the screen and just stood there staring at it in a state of shock. The other folk in the gym must have been thinking "why is that bloke just standing there, looking like he's going to burst into tears ?"

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Following the final whistle of the Man City - Watford Fa Cup final when the club tweeted out “We are Europa League” I actually had a small (happy) cry.

Could not believe that my team were going to be playing in Europe, something that only a few years before seemed impossible.

Last edited:

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Igor Ballis goal:

I was about 16, and was at my tennis club I played at, down in Ashford Middlesex, I was ducking in and out of the bar area in between points off court to check the score. Last time I looked at the score it was more or less over and the result was looking ok for us. Went back on court, heard a bit of commotion from the bar, and just had a sinking feeling, walked in more or less as Ballis converted the penalty.

Just knew that was that at that stage.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of my most memorable: being at Molineux for an event, on Thursday July 21st 2016: the day that Wolves takeover was completed!

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Following the final whistle of the Man City - Watford Fa Cup final when the club tweeted out “We are Europa League” I actually had a small (happy) cry.

Could not believe that my team were going to be playing in Europe, something that only a few years before seems impossible.
That’s a good one! I remember being at the pub watching the game, and as each City goal was going in we were studying the list of who had qualified etc. Surreal but brilliant day! I’d love some more European football, doesn’t look likely anytime soon sadly.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember when Peter Knowles announced he was retiring from football to become a Jehovahs Witness. My all time favourite Wolves player, but Ruben runs him close. Definite regular England international of the future when he packed it in Imo.

Couldn’t believe it and I was heartbroken. Always thought he would change his mind, but he stuck to his principles (or was it his wife’s). I was at his last match against Nottingham Forest where we were winning 2-0 and it ended 2-2. The Mol was singing ‘Please don’t leave us Peter Knowles’ for the whole 90 minutes but it made no difference.

Remember we had a player at the time named Paul Walker, who people thought could replace ‘Knocker’. Nobody could replace him imo and we signed Mike O’Grady from Leeds, who never worked out, despite scoring a ‘worldie’ against Tesco’s.

PK went on to work in a small tile company and then on to M and S in the city centre, where I used to see him regularly. Never seemed to age and I would regularly see him talking to customers and earwig him talking about his football days.

Played badminton against him at Northicote School many years after he retired. Very nice and modest chap and much fitter than I was (and better). Sad when he retired but was a much nicer person after football than when he played.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We were 3-0 up and it finished 3-3

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope your health improves .....for me it was an evening I'd been fishing with my mum and dad ,,on the way home on the car radio ( only way to get scores then in the evenings ) ,,we heard that Liverpool had sent us down ...I wiped away teers in the back

Hazza

Reaction score
Hearing Geoff Thomas had snubbed City and signed for us, driving round Horsham on the A24. Can remember it clear as day, had to stop in a lay by - was so excited!

Kennedy

Reaction score

But I am always one of those "I remember where I was when.." moments and would be good to share and read of others.

Feel free to add/remove any of the below, but to me these are events that I will always remember when and where I was. Some very poignant and emotional. It is the highs and lows of supporting the club I cherish. Without sounding morbid and wanting to gain attention, my health is not great at the moment, life may be catching up, so I have enjoyed reflecting on these moments with my second biggest love after family, of course.

- Emlyn Hughes signed for Wolves. I was doing a job in Burton at the time and talk was rife he was signing. I loved Emlyn, arguably my favourite captain. The customers house we was working on at that point was a rife Forest fan and he was actually mentioning how much he hoped Cloughie would make a move for him. Anyway, he came out to me on a bright summers afternoon and told me Emlyn had signed for the Wolves. I was absolutely thrilled. Probably one of the first signings I can recall where you seem to get wind of beforehand and there was an anticipation.

- Andy Gray signing to break the transfer record. I was round my Mom and Dads in Short Heath, me and Dad trying our best not to take the frustration out of each other on the bathroom we was fitting (why didn't we just get a proper plumber..) and it was on the front of the express and star when we went down to get some tay. Similar to the above really, but much more high profile given the fee.

- Bully scoring for England against Scotland. I was actually at a wedding in Cannock (I think..) I was trying my best all day to get hold of a radio, not one of the staff had a remote interest when I was trying to ask - but I couldn't settle. Mrs Walsall was going barmy at me but had no choice but to sit and take it when at around 7pm on the night someone at the bar mentioned it. I was so proud. I enjoyed that wedding as a result.

- That game at Bolton. Didn't go but went to the first leg and saw us absolutely batter them and to somehow only be 1 goal Infront. Shamefully, we was on holiday in Salou for the 2nd leg. I looked everywhere to see who had it on, nowhere or nobody. We found one bar, English Tavern I want to say it was called and he told me he would get it on for me. But Mrs Walsall had got her way, my lad who must have only been about 7/8 at the time was tired and needed feeding and my daughter who would have been about 11/12 had no interest. So we all went out for something to eat for them to have an early night. I could not eat. All that was going through my head was "Wembley, promotion, surely they cant blow it here.." I was a wreck. For the young lot now who have social media etc at there finger tips, the feeling I had that night not knowing was unspeakable. 9pm came and Mrs, kids all went back to hotel and we got them to kip. So there I am racing about around 11pm, desperate to find out the score. If I had been offered it for free from a 10/10 Spanish senorita, I wouldn't have had a faint interest. I come across the bar who the chap said he would try to get it on for me, only for him to say he had no idea what the score was. Packed, rammed and loud in there, I was at my wits end. But then I had a tap on the shoulder, turned to see a chap slouched up the bar and before he even spoke I knew by the look on his face. "We lost 2-0 mate...out". I walked around Salou for the next hour. I don't think anything has come close to the footballing agony I felt that evening.

-Bully retiring. You always knew it was coming I think from about 97 onwards. He just did not really seem to be able to consistently recreate that magic and/or stay fit. But for some reason I had optimism that summer of 99, could just have been me but he seemed more determined and optimistic than ever. He was 34, it still seemed conceivable we could have a season or two in the Premier League with Bully. One of few times Mrs Walsall seemed to have some Wolves empathy, she knew how much he meant to me during those years, he was the only thing we had in some ways - as I got back home after a fairly long slog for her to instantly say "I am really sorry Steve... But Bully has retired, just been on central news".

- Denis Irwin signing. This was a biggie to me and from what I remember, there was not a link before hand either. We was actually away in good old Towyn at the time. I distinctively remember that summer the theme being we had spent all the transfer kitty a year before. DJ was well backed. So I was in no rush to buy the Sun/News of the World which was always packed with transfer gossip/juice. Brought a paper from the shop that morning off the caravan site and there it was, back page of the News of the World. After the heartache a few months before, it actually made me feel a little better. There was some hope and it was the signing of him and Ince that edged us over the line IMO.

- Reading away leg. Do you know what, maybe sometimes fate does strange things. It seemed deja vu but this time holidaying in Tenerife and we was in a bar that had it on. Taylors lounge, los cris if anyone knows it. I am sat in there surrounded by Reading, one other Wolves fan who I hadn't spoken to up until then, and my lad who would have been about 15 then I reckon. Mrs Walsall and my daughter did there own thing because from the outset knowing it was coming up, they did not want to be anywhere near me. Even my old man bless him, who loved Wolves (thanks dad..) chose to stay in his apartment with my Mom. One, sheer nerves. Two, it would have probably hurt even more us both suffering together. Alex Rae slams that home and me, my lad and the chap next to me have just lost it. The pain I suffered 7 years before had at least gone, we was one step closer. What is actually quite funny is, just after we actually put the ball in the net again. I think it may have been Shaun Newton? At this point, I have ran out the bar and into the street with my top off !! Only for my lad to follow me out "Dad, dad!! He was offside!!" That kind of eased the tension between myself and the 10-15 or so Reading fans! I treated my boy to a few Strongbows, got back to the room about midnight and I couldn't help myself.. tapped on my Dads door half cut and he has rushed out and grabbed my lad and me both. Very quickly saying "your nans asleep, will see you in the morning". My dad wasn't very intimate really so that was a special moment that I will cherish. Fair to say we enjoyed the rest of that holiday and it is no wonder I have a place out there now and spend so much of my retirement here, it is one happy place with special memories.

- FOSUN takeover. Fast forwarding quite quick now. I was in vision express in Aldridge waiting for my appointment and my phone has bleeped. Text message from the club (is that even still a thing???) and there it was. Wolves can confirm they have been taken over by FOSUN group. It was only about a month of speculation and the thread we had on here was superb. But the official confirmation was a great feeling. No more Moxey. Investment. No more Jackett, which I feel quite harsh for saying, but I did not enjoy his last 12 months as manager unfortunately. I trotted over to the Turtles head micro bar for a couple of lovely pints, followed by an Oriental express takeaway. Delighted I was.

- Neves signing. "If Wolves sign Ruben Neves, I will post naked pictures of my wife". Those words will forever be associated with the idiot creating this thread! What will be quite ironic is when he does leave Wolves. I said that on the back of not buying for one minute he could be a Wolves player. What has transpired is 6 years of wonderful service, over 250 (?) appearances and goals that as beautiful as Mrs Walsall once was.. 30-40 years ago :D When he gets the move he has more than warranted, I will be very grateful and proud of Ruben Neves.

- Nuno leaving. After Bolton, I am going to say this is the most hurt I have been. Possibly on par with the choke season, if not worse. It is ridiculous really how much love I had for that man. All I wanted in the days leading up to it, was for the season to finally come to an end, get the fans back in the ground and to just recreate that love between Club/Manager/Player/Fans. He needed it and we needed it but fosun took that away from us. I am so grateful for fosun, but I dont think I have ever truly forgiven them for that decision. It is what we built everyone on up until then. Yet, when it pinged on my phone that we would part company and Man Utd would be his final game, I cannot even explain the emotions. I was devastated. Sounds dramatic, but I instantly turned off my phone and sat in my little man cave in the Garden and just had a couple of drinks to reflect. I went to Molineux (no ticket) for the Utd game and the scenes that afternoon were something I never have known or saw for a manager/player who had been effectively sacked. I still stand by it that he should never have left the club. It is single headedly the worst decision this club has made, to date. There was and still is unfinished business. What he created was unique and I sincerely hope one day he returns.

Some great memories there and I particularly like the vision express in Aldridge line, I'm from Pelsall originally.

John de Wolf signing on the back page of the sun when I was at uni at Hull.

Graham Taylor outside the Mol talking to the press for the first time, I had done a sickie from what I think was my first job and got spotted in the crowd.

Keogh's goal at Derby, I was in the garden in great wyrley and said a little thank you to the gods of football.

Silva signing for £35M - blew me away, I was in Aberystwyth. I honestly thought we were becoming an elite club....

I could go on.

Thanks for posting.

The sun headline: De Wolf at de door and a big picture of our hero in front of the big wolves head on the Billy Wright, again I thought we had beck e elite .. seems time didn't wise me up...

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One date that I will never forget is 16 August. My eldest son was born on that date in 1977, the same day that Elvis died. Also on that Date in 2011 that I heard that Frank Munro had passed away. Most fans of my age had the Doog or King John as their hero, but my favourite player was Frank Munro. He was poorly and Waggy took him to games, but when I heard that he had passed away I was upset. Frank was the best centre half I have seen in gold and black. They don’t make them like Big Frank anymore.

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hearing Geoff Thomas had snubbed City and signed for us, driving round Horsham on the A24. Can remember it clear as day, had to stop in a lay by - was so excited!
Were The Pointer Sisters on the car radio?

Wolves2018

Reaction score

Great read mate, thank you.

Monk

Groupie
Reaction score
One date that I will never forget is 16 August. My eldest son was born on that date in 1977, the same day that Elvis died. Also on that Date in 2011 that I heard that Frank Munro had passed away. Most fans of my age had the Doog or King John as their hero, but my favourite player was Frank Munro. He was poorly and Waggy took him to games, but when I heard that he had passed away I was upset. Frank was the best centre half I have seen in gold and black. They don’t make them like Big Frank anymore.
My all time wolves hero is Frankie Munro - my daughter bought me a few years ago "Frank's for the memory" written by waggyi (another hero of my era) it's a great read - can't deny reading that Frank came back to and spent his last few years amongst us.brought a tear or few to my eyes. Players of that era all remain connected to the club in one way or another. Apart from Ruben how many of our current squad will feel the same in years to come

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My all time wolves hero is Frankie Munro - my daughter bought me a few years ago "Frank's for the memory" written by waggyi (another hero of my era) it's a great read - can't deny reading that Frank came back to and spent his last few years amongst us.brought a tear or few to my eyes. Players of that era all remain connected to the club in one way or another. Apart from Ruben how many of our current squad will feel the same in years to come

We were outside Molineux once when Waggy was pushing Frank in his wheelchair. As they got to the ground, John Richards met them and took them inside. Even at my age I was in awe, three of our great ex players together.

R

reanswolf

I was at Chorley, at least for the 1-1.

I can’t remember where I was except was at most of those games.

My worst being away from Wolves moment was when Wolves beat Albion 4-2, Ewan Roberts hatrick. I tried to ring home from abroad to get the score and was told the score “Wolves 4 WBA 2” by my mom who read it off teletext.

But after celebrating I started to wonder if she’d got the score the wrong way round because Wolves were the away team. Little niggles eh, but thankfully she was right and Wolves had won.

After the call to

Kcrusader

Groupie
Reaction score

Funny you mention the Igor Balis penalty away at Bradford as that’s the first thing that popped into my head. The jammy boilers scraped through and that’s when I knew we’d blown it.

I was on the way to my nans and listening intently to the match all up until the 93rd min when we pulled up to my nans house, the nerves were unbearable! Anyway, we pulled up, walked to her house and I raced to get teletext on to confirm the score. To my dismay they scored a peno on 96mins!

At the time I was mates with 2 boiler fans which made this even worse and I stormed off out the house in anger and holding back tears. Threw my wallet to the ground and it wasn’t until later I realised the force had bent a couple of the coins inside. (The days when you still used coins lol). Still haunts me to this day and compounds my hate for them.

Another not so happy memory was Dougie Freedman scoring the third against us for Palace in the playoffs 1st leg after smith had pulled one back. Again listening on the radio whilst a carpet fitter was laying new carpet in the front room of my parents house.

To top things off I’m sure he did it at Norwich 1st leg play offs too in the final 5 mins. I left the ground early and booted a huge wooden gate (found out it was actually metal) and had to sit with an extremely painful foot on the coach all the way back to Wolves before going to AandE to get crutches - damaged ligaments!

On a happier note - Cardiff away when they missed 2 pens in injury time. Booked day off work and travelled up from London - well worth it! Lost my phone celebrating after swinging my jacket around my head. Only when I got back to Wolves and used find my iPhone it happened to have been picked up by a chap 5 mins walk from my parents house!

So many more moments that stand out but those are a key moments for me.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched the Bolton playoff away leg on Ceefax. :eek:

The 0-3 to 4-3 turnaround win against Leicester. Was tiling the bathroom. I suppose it's the rareness of that match that has retained the memory. The tiles are still up to this day. Unlike Leicester. :D

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
- Emlyn Hughes signed for Wolves.

- Denis Irwin signing.

- Neves signing.

- Nuno leaving.

probably these 4 highlights stand out from your great memories plus Steve Bull's whole career,

Mine was Watching the Wolves under the new lights in the 50s, I can still see that image of the glow walking up to the ground on a dark winters night.

The FA CUP win v Blackburn, at Wembley. although to young to go, but remember the family returning,

the 2 League cup wins, and of course the Play off final at the Millenium,

Last edited:

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great thread this.

That Igor ****in Balis penalty. Had WM on listening to the last 10 mins, whilst on my mom and dads landline phone to @Woodsetton Wolf talking each other through it all. Thought we had made it, only for it all to turn sour in the last second. Went upstairs, punched a hole in my bedroom door, and said hole is still there in my mom and dads house to this day. Been filled in since but can still make it out, every time I see it I’m reminded of that season. Bizarrely, still one of my favourite Wolves seasons. Some amazing away days.

Bolton play off, was one of the few thousand watching it in that awful beam back screen at Molineux, just horrible, horrible night.

On a lighter note, when Bully scored versus Scotland, I will never forget till the day I die. 9 years old watching it with my mom dad and brother. The second the ball hit the net, all the Wolves fans in my parents cul de sac for some reason all ended up out on the street and an impromptu dance and celebration just began. Didn’t really get it at the time, but thinking back my dad and his mates would be a bit younger than I am now and would have just come out the back of the Bhatti and Chorley years. Must have felt incredible. It’s times like that, that remind me that, as crap as it can be sometimes supporting Wolves, that feeling you get when something big happens, fans of top 6 clubs will never truly feel that.

FWIW The Nuno era gave us more of those feelings than the rest of my Wolves supporting life put together.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great thread this.

That Igor ****in Balis penalty. Had WM on listening to the last 10 mins, whilst on my mom and dads landline phone to @Woodsetton Wolf talking each other through it all. Thought we had made it, only for it all to turn sour in the last second. Went upstairs, punched a hole in my bedroom door, and said hole is still there in my mom and dads house to this day. Been filled in since but can still make it out, every time I see it I’m reminded of that season. Bizarrely, still one of my favourite Wolves seasons. Some amazing away days.

Bolton play off, was one of the few thousand watching it in that awful beam back screen at Molineux, just horrible, horrible night.

On a lighter note, when Bully scored versus Scotland, I will never forget till the day I die. 9 years old watching it with my mom dad and brother. The second the ball hit the net, all the Wolves fans in my parents cul de sac for some reason all ended up out on the street and an impromptu dance and celebration just began. Didn’t really get it at the time, but thinking back my dad and his mates would be a bit younger than I am now and would have just come out the back of the Bhatti and Chorley years. Must have felt incredible. It’s times like that, that remind me that, as crap as it can be sometimes supporting Wolves, that feeling you get when something big happens, fans of top 6 clubs will never truly feel that.

FWIW The Nuno era gave us more of those feelings than the rest of my Wolves supporting life put together.
Lol @ all the frustration injuries being bought up. I was in my uni halls of residence watching the first leg of the Norwich playoff, punched an external wall (no hole, unless you count the bloodied knuckles) resulting in a sprained wrist when they scored their third.

Back
Top Bottom