Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Where have all the heroes gone?

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been reading and occassionally contributing to the recent threads about our current situation and the 'team' we currently have and what struck me was that we have no one who the fans would call a hero or is a personification of what the team is about. As a supporter of wolves since the early 70s (as long as I can remember) we have always had heroes and legends in the team and reading the history before that time you read stories of players, to name a few, like Wright, Hancocks, Mullen, Knowles, Flowers, Cullis , Buckley (Managers the last 2) who you wished you could have seen but were known as Wolves throughout the land. Since I have been following Wolves I think I could name players from every era who were heros of the fans and were known throughout the country as from our team and typifying our quality, players like Dougan, Bailey, Hibbitt, Richards, Parkin, Gray, Bull, Mutch, Curle (a personal favourite of mine), Rae, Ince (not so sure), Downing. The list is endless except for 82 - 86 and now. All of those I have labelled above would put the maximum of effort in, had no litlle skill and seemed proud to play for the club. Whats more they created a style of play that was exciting and skilful in equal measure. I watch this team and there is no one who I am proud is wearing the shirt or who I would call a hero of the fans or at least me. Maybe I am getting old but as Wolves fans we have always had our heroes but now we don't seem to have any. Every time someone in the current team looks like they might possibly approach this level loss of form, fitness, poor attitude etc just removes them from any possible opportunity of becoming a hero. It is a bit depressing.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

Edgmond Wolf

Nearest we have to heroes of late is Hennessey and Ikeme just shows the emphasis of the losing battle at the moment

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Lovely thread, Bawtry.

I found myself looking out for Sako during the Blackburn match.

He did produce a few moments of magic! This prompted my tongue in cheek remark on the back of a few beers that he was The Wolves Messi.

If Sako stays at Molineux, and continues to excite fans with his skill, I guess he could become a modern day hero in a small way.

He will have to perform like the real Messi to become a proper cult hero like Wright, Bully, King John, Waggy, The Doog etc

Kids and young fans in particular, need a hero to worship like we did with Wolves stars from the past.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree. I cannot remember a team of ours playing such unattractive football with as you say no real stand-out players.

Very depressing times to be a Wolves fan.

R

raging bull

Absolutely spot on Bawtry ..... even within the club itself ..... only person with any real personality about themselves we can identify with is the great Robert plant .

E

Edgmond Wolf

Absolutely spot on Bawtry ..... even within the club itself ..... only person with any real personality about themselves we can identify with is the great Robert plant .

I would add

Rachael Heyhoe Flint
Steve Bull
Sir Jack Hayward

Player wise

.???

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Good post Bawtry. The closest we have had to a real hero in the last few years was probably Kightly. The 'lack of heroes' in our side was one of the reasons I hoped we would try to sign Frimpong. Has the personality and all-action playing style that would ignite a lot of fans.

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has any club really at the moment though? Bar possibly giggs and ginge for manure, and fat frank and the racist for Chelsea. Possibly stevie G for Liverpool as well. I don't think it's just us.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Other clubs have star players and heros to be fair AW. Albion have the likes of Mulumbu, Long, Odemwingie, Olsson etc, West Ham with Noble, Cole, Nolan etc
Southampton Ricky Lambert, Lallana etc. Even in our league some of the teams have heroes and stars. We seem to lack any at the moment.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Good post Bawtry. The closest we have had to a real hero in the last few years was probably Kightly. The 'lack of heroes' in our side was one of the reasons I hoped we would try to sign Frimpong. Has the personality and all-action playing style that would ignite a lot of fans.

A good call about Kightly, Tring.

You will remember the response Kites got from the South Bank during his dazzling first half display against Villa last season. Stuck with me that.

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't buy into the moden "hero", with how the game has gone its rare that a player stays at a club long enough to gain cult status, the refereeing standards stop players, such as henry, from the old bone crunching tackles that used to get names sung in the stands, imagine if Muscat was playing!
Then we have our management, far to eager to cash in on anyone who would get the attention of the media in a positive light and raise their price tag.

Back
Top Bottom