Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Where does Podence fit in?

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love Podence. He makes things happen, and can lift us when we're flat. But I'm not sure where he fits into our best team at the moment. Assuming everyone's fit (including Jimenez), and no-one's left, where do we play him next season?

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the bench as before he was injured he was generally poor, fell away a lot in form it may well come back though. Does have a tendency to fall over Grealish - like at the first opportunity.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Depends on formation i suppose but he'd be challenging the likes of Adama for that Left sided role when we play a 5 at the back.

4 at the back, no10 & interchangeable with Neto & Adama.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was going to post ‘other’ - he fits in everywhere and anywhere, he’s tiny.

in reality, he’s in rotation with Neto and traore. Although if we did try 4 at the back, I wouldn’t be averse to seeing all 3 interchanging around the striker (4231)

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Podence was really poor in the recent games leading up to his injury. But he's obviously a good option.

Think there's a habit on here where people think everyone needs to play. E.g. if we sold Adama it's OK because we have Neto and Podence. Good to have options from the bench, they can all play enough. Just play the two who are most in form.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How long is he out for?
Back soon I think. I had next season in mind really, though.

FWIW I'd like us to:

1. Keep all our current attacking options.
2. Switch to 4 at the back after a full pre-season, and with a new centre half and central midfielder
3. Play Podence in a free role behind Jimenez.

Lycaon

Reaction score
Would like to see either him or Neto have much more of a free roaming role as an attacking midfielder in front of the existing two.
Both players have the skill and guile to unlock defences and generally cause havoc rather than being restricted to operating on the wings.
Unfortunately, can’t see Nuno going with it though!!

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Either in a front 4 , or rotating with traore / Neto.

We needed someone to come on for Neto or traore yesterday but didn’t really have an option

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Podence was really poor in the recent games leading up to his injury. But he's obviously a good option.

Think there's a habit on here where people think everyone needs to play. E.g. if we sold Adama it's OK because we have Neto and Podence. Good to have options from the bench, they can all play enough. Just play the two who are most in form.
^^^
this

for all the small squad/ need options etc I looked at the bench last night and I thought, that starting 11 plus ait-nouri, hoever, Marcal, silva, Vitinha, ruddy, Kilman, Otasowie really doesnt look to bad at all.

add in Boly, podence, Jimenez and doesn’t look a bad team/squad with plenty of options. couple of good signings and a good preseason and who knows

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mix of option 1 (when game or oppsition suits), 2 and 5 (utilise all 3 at different times depending on their current form, best suited against certain opposition, fitness levels etc)

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun have shown Wolves need to be self sufficient, especially during a pandemic, so I imagine we will probably sell someone this summer to help fund a couple of big additions to the squad, just like we did last year. Traore is probably top pick for that given his reluctant to sign a contract and the fact, like Jota, he doesn't seem to be firing on all cylinders right now (but it could also be Neves/Neto depending on offers received). I wouldn't be surprised if Podence is in the first XI because of that, with a younger replacement brought in to replace Traore and act as back-up and the money invested in a CB and/or CM.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He gives us those mysterious solutions. Can play wing, play as a modern 10 or *gasp* we can alter in game.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Right now he doesn't start for me, unless we go four at the back in which case he plays in the #10 role. If we are going 4-2-3-1 next season we'll need one or two more options for the forward positions

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He gives us an option off the bench but doesnt do enough for me when he starts, yes he shows the occasional bit of individual brilliance but to few and far between for my liking, added to which he is knocked off the ball to easily.

Brightonwolf

Reaction score
A few weeks ago many were moaning about not having a strong bench. When you look at those coming back it’s looking good. Podence, Boly, Jiminez to come back in and rotate those spaces and or bring one on to mix it up. Exciting times after a few weeks of “Were doomed”

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rotates with Traore on the left when fit. But needs to get fit and stay fit first, because he patently wasn't anywhere near 100% even before his injury anyway.

thisisgil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just wait for someone from our squad of 12 to get injured and he'll slot in wherever we need him

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A full squad, for me, when you play with wingers is to have 4 good options... We obviously have 3 with Podence

When you look at our bench, if Podence was on there you'd be looking at him as a potential 'game changer' with one of the 3 injured as we have now, we should still have one winger we'd be looking to bring on to make a significant and expected impact, or the formation changes to fit them all on the pitch of course

Our bench could (or will) self develop game changes in time, and we have a few that are going be be that in time in other positions (Silva, RAN, Vitinha etc) but we don't have that 4th winger/wide forward who is either on a fast track to being a game changing option, or a senior pro who's ready made (not including the likes of MGW being asked to fill in out there)

Slight hole in the squad for me, maybe not the main priority, but a slight hole... perhaps Corbeanu will become this player for us next season, or even Chem Campbell... but right now a 4th wide player in the first team squad doesn't feel like a luxury but something that would add value

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Quite. 3 very good players for 2 positions is kinda the minimum for a full season.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not convinced about him. Skilful certainly but lightweight (no surprise there), injury prone it seems and hits the deck like he’s been shot every time he is tackled. Delighted if he proves I’m totally mistaken.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we strengthen our central midfield and CB options he is best playing as a No.10 behind Jimenez. He is a clever footballer who can cause havoc at his best. Otherwise a great option on the bench for either Traore or Neto's position in the team if we are playing three at the back. But we will need at the very least a Kessie- type midfielder in the summer whatever happens.

T

TheConcourse

He’s another credible option. We look desperately short when we take one of Traore/Neto away.

Not convinced with Vitinha or MGW. We probably need another attacking option in the summer too.

Yamalritee

Reaction score
Personally would like to see him playing in the number 10 role and every 15-20 minutes swapping with Neto and Traore. Depending on the circumstances of the game. Just image Neto, Podence and Traore interchanging all game?!

MrJamez

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Our most intelligent player.

Must start one way or another.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s another credible option. We look desperately short when we take one of Traore/Neto away.

Not convinced with Vitinha or MGW. We probably need another attacking option in the summer too.

Totally agree with that.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Inverting the wingers should help Pod, too. He loves a crowd and watching him try to win balls at the far post is depressing. I don’t see us switching up from a 3-man back any time soon , so theoretically it should be a 3-man competition for 2 spots- but really it’ll be a fight between he and Adama for the wing slot opposite to Pedro.

Knowing that either pod or Adama is on the bench is always great but I like Pod as the impact guy. Adama has a physical advantage against every team in the league so give me that advantage at least 60 minutes per, please. Pod’s had brilliant moments and he will have more but he’s not for every matchup- and sometimes it looks like megs or bust for him, a little bit about the mixtape.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I put rotation, then we just pick whoever is having more influence on the game

Back
Top Bottom