Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Where Does Neves Rate

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Amongst our all time greats? For me, arguably the best player ever to wear the old gold and black. Only Peter Knowles and Peter Broadbent even came close to him in terms of overall ability.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Best player I’ve seen in gold and black since I’ve been watching (1989). Can’t comment on players before this!

D

Deleted member 3518

Amongst our all time greats? For me, arguably the best player ever to wear the old gold and black. Only Peter Knowles and Peter Broadbent even came close to him in terms of overall ability.

Go with those two, personally both ahead at the moment but Neves is still young and only played in 2nd division, think the sky's the limit for him.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Hard to say, different generations. How would Neves cope in 1950s/1960s football? How would Broadbent cope in the current football?

wolvesinwales

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In terms of pleasure a while to go yet to beat the bully years of hat trick after hat trick and comments on News at Ten that ' Bull scored of course'

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** me this this hour is about England. Ofcourse Neves is different but he plays in a midfield 2 as a creative midfielder. Best comparing him to Saiss.

E

E is for idiot.

I think that people are mixing up ability with achievement. Does he have the most ability of a Wolves player ever? Possibly. Is he the greatest ever Wolves player based on what he has achieved as a Wolves player? Nowhere near.

R

reanswolf

Ruben is Definitely the best I’ve seen and I’ve been watching since 1969. But Diogo Jota and Willy Boly, and Cav and Costa are probably the next 4 too.

Last season was a dream and I still can’t get over how things have changed at Wolves.

It must be great supporting Manure or Chelsea, winning something every year, but after all those years it’s more special for our fans who have suffered so much.

R

reanswolf

Currently he’s achieved less than Karl Henry, David Jones, Alex Rae, Paul Ince let alone god knows who else from the 80’s downwards so you would class him as our greatest.
Not on about legend status, just level of quality.

We all love Bully, Doog, Richards, Hibbitt, Bailey, Carr, Parkin, Munro, McAlle, Rae, Ince, Murray, DE, etc but these lads now are on a different level quality wise, and I’m sure most would agree.

M

Mr Wolf

We all love Bully, Doog, Richards, Hibbitt, Bailey, Carr, Parkin, Munro, McAlle, Rae, Ince, Murray, DE, etc but these lads now are on a different level quality wise, and I’m sure most would agree.
But that’s best player, he’s not a Wolves great....yet. No doubt he’s the best CM I’ve ever seen in this league alongside Ali Bernabia & Proseneki for Pompey.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wish he’d come on instead of Dier!

D

Deleted member 3518

But that’s best player, he’s not a Wolves great....yet. No doubt he’s the best CM I’ve ever seen in this league alongside Ali Bernabia & Proseneki for Pompey.

Having seen all players for 60 years he's already a Wolves great for me.

N

nicko69

Neves not fit to lace Norman Deeley's boots. What about Stan Cullis's 1950s team?

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Currently he’s achieved less than Karl Henry, David Jones, Alex Rae, Paul Ince let alone god knows who else from the 80’s downwards so you would class him as our greatest.

I'd say he has achieved a fair bit more than Jones or Henry in his career already and even at his age they arent even anywhere near close to him. Played Champions league football for a pretty big club, captained that club, played for his country, dominated in the championship and won promotion from it, all before he was even 21.

Sometimes you dont need to compare anyway, you can just tell with some players if they are on a different level to everyone else, and Neves is.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

My Dad has seen a lot of Wolves, from our great sides of the 50's up until today, and when he says to me he is as good as any Wolves player he has ever seen i'd tend to go with his opinion. He still has to keep up the level of performance, but i believe we have, potentially, one of the best midfielders in the world.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Funny enough I got talking to a bloke in the pub last night watching the England game and he said he was a wolves fan we had a chat about the current team and he said "Neves is the best player since Broadbent" My first game personally was 1988 and he's by far the best player ive seen in a wolves shirt, however he isnt Bully who is a great.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you have to say that modern Footballers are greater athletes with many more skills and abilities than the players of bygone era's. In terms of footballing ability he has this in abundance but he has a long way to go to become a Wolves legend.

Derby Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Better than Darren Ferguson but needs a bit of work and maturity to match Fernando Gomes.

7/10.

K

Knocker Lite

Ask again when he has done a full Premier league season, when with luck Wolves could laugh off bids of 50 or 60 million.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching Neves makes me feel like a starry eyed nipper purring over Peter Knowles all over again.

We have had many great since then but nobody has had that effect on me personally since.

Ruben, thank you for making me feel young again. The boy is mustard.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

i didn't say he was the greatest i said he was up there.... as for the examples you suggest:

achievement-wise, he's achieved the same as henry / jones (won the league) and more (in the time available to him so far) than rae or ince

ability-wise, he's better than any of those

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is ironic that many think he is way down the lists of players that have been at Wolves, albeit as a young fella with years hopefully to go....

And yet...

When I watch the world cup, I am struggling to see any players in his position that look any better tbh. Olgold tinted glasses ????

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Potentially one of the greatest,for now its one season in the Championship,albeit a fantastic one,so we need to see what happens this season to form any opinion really
Over the decades from the 50s i have seen many brilliant players at the Mol,and he has everything to be the best of the lot,but he has to prove it at the top table first for me

ShifnalWolf

Graphmaster General
Reaction score
How has he achieved less than Karl Henry? :confused:

Y

Yout85

Karl Henry has won the Championship with us and the play-offs with QPR. That's it.

Neves has also won the Championship with us (some of the older posters on here may remember that), finished 2nd in the top tier in Portugal with Porto, also getting a runners up medal for the Portuguese version of the FA Cup, came runner up with Portugal U21s in the Euros, earning a place in the team of the tournament, made the Championship team of the year and been voted one of the best prospects in Portugal in 2015.

That's how.

Y

Yout85

Karl Henry has won the Championship with us and the play-offs with QPR. That's it.

Neves has also won the Championship with us (some of the older posters on here may remember that), finished 2nd in the top tier in Portugal with Porto, also getting a runners up medal for the Portuguese version of the FA Cup, came runner up with Portugal U21s in the Euros, earning a place in the team of the tournament, made the Championship team of the year and been voted one of the best prospects in Portugal in 2015.

That's how.

Hmmmm... now that I see it written down, it seems maybe Ruben has indeed achieved a little more....... who would have thunk it????

M

Mr Wolf

For Wolves, simple Henry won the league with Wolves & was in the team that stayed up twice. Neves hasn’t done that yet so how people can consider him a Wolves great currently I don’t know.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Best player I've ever seen play for Wolves. Better than Bully - he's not achieved what Bully did (he plays a different position after all) but will surely go on to greatness.

I absolutely love watching Neves play, I kept trying to get my dad to see him live last season just so he could understand.

Back
Top Bottom