Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

When will Fabio score his first goal?

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
I know the question is about this season but it does seem that because we weren't there, those goals he scored last season dont count in some fans eyes. If he gets game time he will get goals, that one he nearly turned in on Thursday shows he has the awareness and ability, he just needs match sharpness.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When watching the Watford game ,and he was listening to Bruno waiting to come on, did I see a tattoo on his arm of himself scoring in a number 9 shirt??? Jeeeez !!
That ll fade before he scores in a wolves number 9 shirt

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good to see threads like this when he scored two against the Albion last season...

Loved the bottle he showed to take that pen at Burnley. And his first touch and finish against West Ham were actually so, so good.

But because fans weren't there and we didn't win any of those games, who cares eh.

If Fabio could start a few games in a row he'd soon start scoring, I'm sure. His first touches yesterday were pinning down a long ball and somehow keeping it in play and travelling into the box amidst a few attempted tackles. Then showed some good strength and touches after then, too. All in about five mins.

It'll come.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Raul still looks a yard off it. He’s trying too hard to make things happen.

I’m starting to like Fabio. Plays on the shoulder, like Afobe did. I prefer that type of striker to one who drops deep. His hold up play and neat little layoff touches are improving too.

I agree that Silva plays on the shoulder and makes some good runs. The problem is no-one sees those runs or they elect not to try and make the pass. We concentrate on passing it around in midfield and our fullbacks and Neto / Podence driving forward to create attacks - this renders Silva a little pointless. Its not his fault, we just don't or are not set up to play to his strengths.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From the little we have seen of him this season he does look to have added more physicality to his game, and he does make some clever runs which go unnoticed by his team mates, I really hope things all start coming together for him

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio will score when he starts in games where we are looking to attack from the off and games where we haven't rotated the team. His last start was West Ham away where we effectively conceded the game before a ball was kicked - he was our best player (although still average) but came up against a well drilled, physical defence. Brentford away was another one where he was up against an extremely physical defence and a team who match up well against us. He's not started games that he would be more suited to and more likely to shine.

I wouldn't mind seeing him against Leeds where he will have a full team behind him as opposed to a disjointed, rotated 11 and where the team will hopefully be playing on the front foot.

Saying that, Raul has improved a bit the last few games so I doubt it will happen.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hes already scored 4 Premier League goals,2 against the Baggies
Hes the youngest Wolves player to score in the Prem, and second only to Ronaldo for an under 20 Portuguese player in the Prem
I know the post is for this season but i mean really? The lad has probably only played about a couple of games in minutes total on the pitch, usually 5/10 a time, and mostly when we are hanging on to a goal advantage
Strikers dont mature till they are 23 plus and he is improving his pace and physicality
His price tag is a lead weight around his neck for most fans,its not his fault he was valued so high,and i think the lad will be a decent striker in a few years hopefully for us

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kinda puts things into perspective.
Does it? Was Bully bought for £35m or whatever the equivalent would have been back in the day. Was Bully ever described as a 'wonderkid' or a generational talent'? Was Bully ever paid the kind of money that Silva gets? Like it or not, Silva has to live with these millstones. Bully went under the radar until he arrived at Wolves and became a legend (and I don't use that word lightly).

Imo, Silva is not in the side, not because we are free-scoring or that Raul is undroppable, but because he can't force himself into a side that struggles to score goals. Because when Bruno sees him in training or in the cameos that he gets in the first team, he sees nothing that impresses him too much. Says a lot really!

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio will score when he starts in games where we are looking to attack from the off and games where we haven't rotated the team. His last start was West Ham away where we effectively conceded the game before a ball was kicked - he was our best player (although still average) but came up against a well drilled, physical defence. Brentford away was another one where he was up against an extremely physical defence and a team who match up well against us. He's not started games that he would be more suited to and more likely to shine.

I wouldn't mind seeing him against Leeds where he will have a full team behind him as opposed to a disjointed, rotated 11 and where the team will hopefully be playing on the front foot.

Saying that, Raul has improved a bit the last few games so I doubt it will happen.

Leeds always batter us and we come away with a 1-0 win.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does it? Was Bully bought for £35m or whatever the equivalent would have been back in the day. Was Bully ever described as a 'wonderkid' or a generational talent'?
The point is that people shouldn't expect Fabio to be the finished article. Wolves didn't spend £35m on him for what he is now, they spent that for what they think he will become. So frothing at the mouth because he isn't currently setting the world alight, is just utterly, utterly pointless, and has been done to death by people on this forum for 18 months.

The comparison to Bully at Fabio's age is useful to show how strikers can progress - i.e. Bully went from a player who couldn't get in the WBA team, to being... well, Bully. If a club could have recognised that potential, then it would have been worth them spending whatever it takes to get him at that age. They wouldn't have been buying him for the quality he showed in 4 games for WBA, but for the 300 goals he was going to score in future.

Was Bully ever paid the kind of money that Silva gets?
No, because:

a) he never played in the premier league
b) there has been a massive increase in top level footballer's salaries

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does it? Was Bully bought for £35m or whatever the equivalent would have been back in the day. Was Bully ever described as a 'wonderkid' or a generational talent'? Was Bully ever paid the kind of money that Silva gets? Like it or not, Silva has to live with these millstones. Bully went under the radar until he arrived at Wolves and became a legend (and I don't use that word lightly).

Imo, Silva is not in the side, not because we are free-scoring or that Raul is undroppable, but because he can't force himself into a side that struggles to score goals. Because when Bruno sees him in training or in the cameos that he gets in the first team, he sees nothing that impresses him too much. Says a lot really!
A bit of perspective please
Bully was what 21 when he signed for us, and playing in the 4th division so no comparison at all
Of course Bully is a legend,they dont come around that often
We paid a British record for Andy Gray,is he ever viewed as a legend for us?
I agree Fabio needs to live with his fee,and i think he is doing ok in that respect
Of course we all want him to score and make a success of his career,but please lets not compare him with others that were impossible to compare with

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bully was what 21 when he signed for us, and playing in the 4th division so no comparison at all
I agree Fabio needs to live with his fee,and i think he is doing ok in that respect
Of course we all want him to score and make a success of his career,but please lets not compare him with others that were impossible to compare with
I'm NOT comparing Silva to Bully. Someone else did that earlier in the thread and then it was stated as 'perspective'. My point was stating that it wasn't perspective for the reasons stated.
As for Gray, we did pay a British record, although Man City paid most of it. Gray was never a 'wonderkid' or a 'generational talent' but was a seasoned top-flight goalscorer. He pretty-much hit the ground running for us and scored 38 in 133 games for us and helped win the League Cup, so again, no comparison with Fabio ;)

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope it will be like buzzes on Friday with two coming at once.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The point is that people shouldn't expect Fabio to be the finished article. Wolves didn't spend £35m on him for what he is now, they spent that for what they think he will become. So frothing at the mouth because he isn't currently setting the world alight, is just utterly, utterly pointless, and has been done to death by people on this forum for 18 months.

The comparison to Bully at Fabio's age is useful to show how strikers can progress - i.e. Bully went from a player who couldn't get in the WBA team, to being... well, Bully. If a club could have recognised that potential, then it would have been worth them spending whatever it takes to get him at that age. They wouldn't have been buying him for the quality he showed in 4 games for WBA, but for the 300 goals he was going to score in future.

No, because:

As you say, it's been done to death, so why we need another thread is beyond me, but I didn't start the thread. Not sure if 'frothing at the mouth' is aimed at me, but I can assure you, I'm past that stage! The implications of the huge transfer fee, wages and 'wonderkid' etc... is something that Wolves will have to live with and for that I'm angry, but no frothing from this mouth.
As I said in response to another poster, I'm NOT comparing Silva to Bully, but responding to a poster that did. I'm just pointing out how much Silva doesn't compare to Bully.
I take your point about buying the potential and Silva may realise that potential as Bully so clearly did. It's a punt that at the moment looks like a losing bet. Let's hope it doesn't end that way.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite. Getting to do your football education in the bottom tier, starting at 21, is infinitely more difficult than premier league at 18/19.
Don’t think it’s unreasonable to say it’s perfectly likely Fabio would score 50 goals if you dropped him into league 2 in 2 years time.
He scored a brace against Donny over a year ago.

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s giving the fans what they want, many would be gutted if he scored

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

No, because:

Can we rename him Morgan Gibbs-Silva to help the fans (or mixers) like him?

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Spot on

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Fabio had a team of Fabio's around him.

He'd score every week.

In my heart.

<3

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like a man now. His movement and aggression pulled Vile all over the place.

Will thrive in Bruno's 4-4-2 next season.

Back
Top Bottom