Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

When is a Tackle Not a Tackle?

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The rules of the game change year on year but even in the modern game i am led to understand that, as long as it's not out of control or with excessive force, if you play the ball first then catch an opposition player it is just a tackle, nothing more, nothing less. Now with penalties being given like against Semedo on Monday somewhere along the way the refs both on-field and VAR have completely lost sight of this basic principle particularly in the penalty area. It's never been in the spirit of the game to give fouls for what are in essence just tackles. The introduction of VAR was supposed to eliminate diving, simulation and outright cheating but it's now almost actively encouraging it. 10-20 years ago we all laughed when some people suggested football would end up a non-contact sport. Well i don't see anyone laughing now.

the 15th Wanderer

Reaction score
The rules of the game change year on year but even in the modern game i am led to understand that, as long as it's not out of control or with excessive force, if you play the ball first then catch an opposition player it is just a tackle, nothing more, nothing less. Now with penalties being given like against Semedo on Monday somewhere along the way the refs both on-field and VAR have completely lost sight of this basic principle particularly in the penalty area. It's never been in the spirit of the game to give fouls for what are in essence just tackles. The introduction of VAR was supposed to eliminate diving, simulation and outright cheating but it's now almost actively encouraging it. 10-20 years ago we all laughed when some people suggested football would end up a non-contact sport. Well i don't see anyone laughing now.
Exactly, going through the ball two footed and taking the man is one thing but any kind of contact seems to be a foul sometimes.
We can all see players starting to go to ground before they are even touched why can't officials with the benefit of VAR.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I thought it improved a bit after the crazy covid period where the ability of the refs to hear a scream seemed to make it even easier for the players to con the refs. There's no point in judging it on Semedo though, everyone apart from Atwell knows that's not a foul, even Salisbury when he'd seen it again.

Back
Top Bottom