Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What's the most leftfield but realistic candidate for Wolves manager you can think of?

thisisgil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pretty much every speculative news article and bookmaker has the same usual suspects - Lage, Fonseca, Pereira, Benitez et al. These are all solid, if unspectacular choices, but none of the front runners really make me excited for what the future might hold.

But... what if it wasn't any of those? What if the next appointment was a credible manager that wasn't even in the frame up to the point where he was announced? I'm not talking about ridiculous and unrealistic candidates (such as Warnock, Woodgate, Steve Bull or Moutinho in a player-manager capacity) and neither am I talking about managers who lack any kind of footballing credibility, such as anybody who's managed West Brom in the last decade.

Surely, somewhere in the entirety of world football, there are some talented managers out there who are really under the radar
  • a highly thought of young coach who's working miracles in a lower league?
  • a progressive and forward thinking manager on the other side of the world who could really usher in a new era a la Wenger?
  • a bright and highly regarded assistant manager who might just be worth a gamble?
  • a manager plying his trade in South America with an obscene 70%+ win ratio and a goals per game of 3?
  • a statistical student of the game who could help Fosun moneyball their way to the Champions League?

As unlikely as any of this may be, it interests me a lot more than the current managerial race, which if I'm honest, I'm half disinterested with already, let alone after the '2-3 weeks' we'll then need to wait to get some closure. So with this in mind, who might this hypothetical person be?

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Ron Atkinson with Roy Hodgson as his assistant (or maybe share the managerial reigns ala Curbishley and Gritt).

They would being a wealth of experience to the club and would probably stay with us, literally, until their dying days.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mark Robins who is doing a great job at Coventry. Easily the equivalent of Smith at Villa I would have thought.

Lycaon

Reaction score
If we want time out from foreign managers then I don’t think we’d go too far wrong with Steve Cotterill, been harshly treated at other clubs but has a decent track record and deserves a big break.
Obviously, it ain’t going to happen!

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Garth Crooks and Mark Lawrenson

(Jeff is more likely to appoint himself)

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ralf Rangnick o_O

I believe Cliff Richard, the Germany coach will looking for work too :cool:

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Arsene Wenger. Would love to have him coaching Wolves.

Would change the culture and build a legacy.

Another example of a manager not appreciated until he’s gone

Lawndog

Reaction score
Arsene Wenger. Would love to have him coaching Wolves.

Would change the culture and build a legacy.

Another example of a manager not appreciated until he’s gone

Hasn't his eyesight gone tho??.........................

Back
Top Bottom