Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What's our best XI?

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't understand how fans can put Dawson straight into the first team as our best eleven when he hasn't even kicked a ball for us yet. Dawson was signed as experienced cover for Kilman and Collins. If he comes in and earns his spot fair play.

In relation to Sarabia he should play as a CAM, not fast enough to be effective on the wing.

You don't need to be fast. You just need a brain, he has one.

We've had the fast runners and no footballing brains for a while now.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you look at how we've set up to start league games under Lopetegui so far, it's been 4231 against Everton, Man United, Villa and West Ham and 433 against City.

In terms of average position, Moutinho has been one of the furthest forward in all the games we've started 4231.

I think Sarabia might come in and take this role now, so when everyone is fit, our strongest XI is probably something like this.....

Sa

Semedo--Collins--Dawson--Ait-Nouri

Neves--Nunes

Neto--Sarabia--Podence

Cunha
Then Neto or Podence drop out for another central midfielder (probably Lemina) when we start 433.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think, once everyone is settled and healthy, he'll go with something like this...

Sa

Semedo - Collins - Kilman - Bueno

Neves - Gomes

Nunes

Podence - Cunha - Sarabia

Subs - Bentley, Jonny, RAN, Dawson, Lemina, Hodge, Hwang, Neto, Raul
Now we've FINALLY addressed the issue of squad depth, it gives Julen so many options for what he can do and how he can change it. I've left Toti, Moutinho and Adama out of this as well...

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa
Semedo Dawson Kilman Ait-Nouri
Sarabia Neves Nunes Podence
Raul Cunha

For most games. Some games we will need lemina instead of Nunes. Others we will need moutinho in for whoever out of Raul Cunha can't lead the line better.
Is that good enough to stay up? Genuinely not sure. Its a competition and I think saints and Bournemouth will be 2 that go down. Out of the others i think it will be really competitive.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is that good enough to stay up? Genuinely not sure. Its a competition and I think saints and Bournemouth will be 2 that go down. Out of the others i think it will be really competitive.

It's a tricky one after that window!

I'm certainly less confident now than I was before other teams had done their business.

It's clear that we have brought in some real quality and strengthened areas of the team where we were weak.

But other teams have too.

Leeds - have done some very good business and strengthened their spine. I think they might have enough to stay up, so long as their new signings click.

Forest - have made some very good signings, but I suppose if you throw enough **** at a wall, some of it will stick! I think they will stay up.

Everton - signed no one, but brought in a very pragmatic manager who will get them more points with the same group of players than Frank. I do still think they will drop because of how toxic the club is.

Southampton and Bournemouth - both have gone for it sand spent some cash on players that it's difficult to know whether they are better than what they have or not. Both have somewhat gambled on unknowns who could be great, or could be rubbish. It's unlikely that none of them do anything, so one of them could get out of it.

I don't think Palace and Villa have done very good business, but they are both just far enough out of it to be OK.

I would be worried as a fan of Leicester or West Ham though. I don't think either have done enough compared to those around them. I think one of those two, or us, could drop.

So for me, it's Everton 20th, then I'll say Bournemouth 19th, as I think their new signings have less of a chance of clicking than Southampton's.

18th place is then any one of us, Leeds, Southampton, Leicester or West Ham.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't understand how fans can put Dawson straight into the first team as our best eleven when he hasn't even kicked a ball for us yet. Dawson was signed as experienced cover for Kilman and Collins. If he comes in and earns his spot fair play.

In relation to Sarabia he should play as a CAM, not fast enough to be effective on the wing.
Sarabia is a 10 or top of a midfield diamond, so that whats i think we will play

Podence may play as an inside forward off the wing to fit sarabia in

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Depends on opposition but probably...

Sa

Semedo
Collins
Dawson
RAN

Lemina
Neves
Nunes

Sarabia
Cunha
Podence

Neto in there somewhere if he's fit, of course. Suspect he'll be on the bench on Saturday.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'm certainly less confident now than I was before other teams had done their business.

It's clear that we have brought in some real quality and strengthened areas of the team where we were weak.

Leeds - have done some very good business and strengthened their spine. I think they might have enough to stay up, so long as their new signings click.

Forest - have made some very good signings, but I suppose if you throw enough **** at a wall, some of it will stick! I think they will stay up.

Everton - signed no one, but brought in a very pragmatic manager who will get them more points with the same group of players than Frank. I do still think they will drop because of how toxic the club is.

Southampton and Bournemouth - both have gone for it sand spent some cash on players that it's difficult to know whether they are better than what they have or not. Both have somewhat gambled on unknowns who could be great, or could be rubbish. It's unlikely that none of them do anything, so one of them could get out of it.

I don't think Palace and Villa have done very good business, but they are both just far enough out of it to be OK.

I would be worried as a fan of Leicester or West Ham though. I don't think either have done enough compared to those around them. I think one of those two, or us, could drop.

So for me, it's Everton 20th, then I'll say Bournemouth 19th, as I think their new signings have less of a chance of clicking than Southampton's.

I think it will be Leeds that are the final team ultimately. I would argue that all of those teams mentioned above have better options at centre forward than us, and that is the only reason why i have any doubts we will stay up.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa

Semedo
RAN
Collins
Dawson
Kilman

Nunes
Neves
Gomes

Raul/ Podence
Cunha

I’d feel a lot more comfortable we’ll get over the line to safety with 5 at the back.

Reaction score

I think it'll be
18th West Ham - but Leicester might be there if Maddison gets injured again
19th Bournemouth - They have improved but still not good enough
20th Everton - They are done for

I do think adding players early will also benefit us because it will take time for the other teams signings to get acclimated to the premier. league

I say we finish 14th or so if I had to bet but of course I worry that things just don't click. I just cant wait for the year to be over knowing that we are safe, then we can move on to bigger and better things next year.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
-------------------Sa---------------------
-Semedo---Collins----Dawson--Ait-Nouri--
-----------------Gomes--------------------
-----------Neves--------Nunes-------------
-Sarabia---------------------------Podence-
-----------------Cunha---------------------

Subs: Bentley,Kilman,Bueno,Lemina,Moutinho,Traore,Hwang, Costa, Jimenez

This is what I'd go with now with the players available... With Neto and B.Traore hopefully back soon we have some serious options imo!

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surprised so many don't see that based on how he played for West Ham, he's comfortably our best centre back.

West Ham played a very deep defensive line and low block, basically a back 6 inside there box and looked to spring counters with Antonio.

Dawson was allowed to basically able to sit there and just head things away and throw himself at the ball.

We're a completely different team to that, going to be a very high line, full backs going to get forward and press high up the pitch and our centre halfs are going to need to cover the flanks and take on dribblers on the counter. Have to worry about about the space in-behind and play out from the back.

Dawson is a no-no sense defender like Bennett. He's very slow compared to Collins and Kilman and poor on the ball compared to them too.

In our defensive structure, a younger faster Dawson would've struggled. Let alone a 33 year old one.

Not saying it's a bad signing, he'll replace Toti coming on off the bench when we go to a back 5 and defend deeper and he won't need to get isolated.

I wouldn't be surprised if Toti is still next defender up if one of Kilman or Collins gets hurt or suspended and we want to stay in a back 4, just because he's more suited to how we want to play.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You don't need to be fast. You just need a brain, he has one.

We've had the fast runners and no footballing brains for a while now.

Doesn't matter how smart you are, if you're a slow center half against a fast striker or winger on a 40 yard sprint from the half way line. You're going to lose.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
West Ham played a very deep defensive line and low block, basically a back 6 inside there box and looked to spring counters with Antonio.

Dawson was allowed to basically able to sit there and just head things away and throw himself at the ball.

We're a completely different team to that, going to be a very high line, full backs going to get forward and press high up the pitch and our centre halfs are going to need to cover the flanks and take on dribblers on the counter. Have to worry about about the space in-behind and play out from the back.

Dawson is a no-no sense defender like Bennett. He's very slow compared to Collins and Kilman and poor on the ball compared to them too.

In our defensive structure, a younger faster Dawson would've struggled. Let alone a 33 year old one.

Not saying it's a bad signing, he'll replace Toti coming on off the bench when we go to a back 5 and defend deeper and he won't need to get isolated.

I wouldn't be surprised if Toti is still next defender up if one of Kilman or Collins gets hurt or suspended and we want to stay in a back 4, just because he's more suited to how we want to play.

It’s all about opinions isn’t it!

I don’t think there’s much between him and Collins on the ball. He’s probably worse than Kilman on the ball, but better than Toti.

Pace-wise, he’s not fast, but I wouldn’t say he’s worryingly slow either.

What he brings is aggression. Probably more than any other CB on our books. I’d put him above our current CBs for how combative he is in duels. Him, then Collins, then Toti, then Kilman.

That aggression is key to how we’ve been playing. Win the ball early, higher up the pitch. Active, front-foot defending.

His aggression also brings a big presence in both boxes. He attacks the ball much better than any of our current CBs.

I think he will prove to be a very good signing.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s all about opinions isn’t it!

I don’t think there’s much between him and Collins on the ball. He’s probably worse than Kilman on the ball, but better than Toti.

Pace-wise, he’s not fast, but I wouldn’t say he’s worryingly slow either.

What he brings is aggression. Probably more than any other CB on our books. I’d put him above our current CBs for how combative he is in duels. Him, then Collins, then Toti, then Kilman.

That aggression is key to how we’ve been playing. Win the ball early, higher up the pitch. Active, front-foot defending.

His aggression also brings a big presence in both boxes. He attacks the ball much better than any of our current CBs.

I think he will prove to be a very good signing.

Let's not forget he's Craig Dawson. A bit part player at West Brom and Watford. Had a late career revival at west ham in a perfect situation. He's not some aging world class center half.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's not forget he's Craig Dawson. A bit part player at West Brom and Watford. Had a late career revival at west ham in a perfect situation. He's not some aging world class center half.
I remain to be convinced that any player who is approaching 250 PL appearances is a bit part player.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Bit part?

At Baggies in the early part of his career he ended up loved by the Baggies part of one their more successful premier League teams.

Ballon Dawson the West Ham fans called him, Europe league team of the season last year.

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
This is the most squad depth I think we've had since coming up.

Arguably a better squad than Nuno's, almost certainly better when you compare the individual players.

If we can't stay up with this squad I'll be devastated.

Looking at the end of arguably our best season with Nuno - second 7th place finish in a row and Europa Quarters - our current squad is considerably stronger in all areas, except perhaps up front, as we had pre-Luiz Raul up top. But even still if Cunha finds his scoring boots, it becomes a completely better team in terms of ceiling.

Really important context to have this season and with other sides around us strengthening considerably, perhaps speaks to how competitive the Premier League has become.

There is argument to say this is the best Wolves squad of our lifetime.

1675294967599.png

1675294992837.png

Nivada

Reaction score
Uninjured it's:

Neto, Sasa, Chiquinho

Nunes, Neves, Lemina

Bueno, Collins, Dawson, Semedo

Sa

SydneyWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
For Liverpool

Sa
Semedo Collins Kilman RAN
Lemina Neves Nunes
Sarabia Cunha Podence

Subs: Bentley, Dawson, Bueno, Toti, Moutinho, Hwang, Raul, Adama, Costa

Available soon: Neto, Gomes, Boubacar,
Young players in support: Hodge, Lembikisa
Long term returnees: Sasa, Chiquinho

Would swap out Lemina for Neto when fit and switch to 4-2-3-1 with Cunha up front and Sarabia, Podence and Neto ahead of Neves and Nunes

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
Uninjured it's:

Neto, Sasa, Chiquinho

Nunes, Neves, Lemina

Bueno, Collins, Dawson, Semedo

Sa

So, you've got Chiquinho, a player who has played roughly 50 senior games in his career and scored 6 goals - over Sarabia, a player who scored 21 goals last season for Sporting and a Spanish international (9 goals from 26 int games).

I wouldn't have thought so

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking at the end of arguably our best season with Nuno - second 7th place finish in a row and Europa Quarters - our current squad is considerably stronger in all areas, except perhaps up front, as we had pre-Luiz Raul up top. But even still if Cunha finds his scoring boots, it becomes a completely better team in terms of ceiling.

Really important context to have this season and with other sides around us strengthening considerably, perhaps speaks to how competitive the Premier League has become.

There is argument to say this is the best Wolves squad of our lifetime.

View attachment 32939

View attachment 32940
In that case let’s replicate the formation??

Sa
Semedo Collins Dawson RAN
Gomes Neves Moutinho
Cunha Raul Podence

Bring on Sarabia, Costa, Lemina, Adama

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
against a top half side away from home I would be looking at 352 and from our current crop that would give me

Sa
Collins Dawson Kilman
Lemina Neves Nunes Sarabia RAN
Raul Cunha

At home against a bottom half its probably 4-3-3
Sa
Semedo Collins Kilman Bueno
Neves Nunes Lemina
Sarabia Cunha Podence

the great thing is that with JLO he is more than happy to switch up 2 or three at a time and realises that he has to have a squad that can adapt shape and style IN GAME a thing that both Nuno and Lage could never do or chose not to do. Dawson is the highest scoring premier league player in our squad. Mad as it seems and given we have scored the square root of **** all from free kicks/ set peices all season then his leadership qualities and set piece scoring ability are additional weapons in the arsenal. There is therefore an argument for him starting ahead of Kilman who has been nothing more than OK. But I would use Lemina as a wing back in the 5 as its clear Semedo is not up to the task and if youre playing a five the LWB has to be RAN who is a more dominant attacker. Bueno is a better overlapping crossing full back.

You then have impact players on the bench such as Traore , Costa , Hwang , Gomes , Moutinho ,Boubacar who can either help shore up or chase a game. Its really good to have options and very difficult to name the best starting 11. When Neta and Sasa are fit its real competition.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really like the look of a 3-4-3 with Dawson in the centre marshalling Kilman and Collins, RAN would probably be a better option at LWB in that system as well.

Sa
Collins Dawson Kilman
Semedo Neves Nunes RAN
Sarabia Cunha Podence
We might not score a great deal, but I don't think that problem will magically become solved with the players we currently have. Our best option is probably to persist with Cunha as a striker and hope he can make that position his own with time, while being hard to beat. Hopefully Dawson can add a few goals as well from set pieces which would considerably ease the burden.

I feel like this could be our best option to make up for the fact we aren't a free scoring side. Get back to what we were good at, frustrating to play against and dangerous on the break. Trying to reinvent the wheel and turning us into prime Sevilla isn't going to happen overnight, especially when our options up top are so poor, it simply isn't going to happen.

It's stating the obvious, but the only way we'll stay up by winning games 1-0 or 2-1, a team that's scored 12 goals in 20 games isn't miraculously going to start scoring for fun.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t stand the suggestions of 3-4-3.

Simply doesn’t work with the attackers or wing backs we have
I couldn't disagree more to be honest. RAN is better as a wingback. Semedo is less of a liability as a wingback. Nunes is better in a midfield two, as that's where he played for Sporting. Sarabia played in a 3-4-3 for Sporting last year and scored 15 goals. Neto when he returns, was better in a 3-4-3. Most of our squad are used to it. I certainly wouldn't want to play Dawson in a high line back four.

WiseWolf

Reaction score
Here’s who I would pick.

A few notes:
1. Close between RAN and Bueno. I think RAN ultimately has more talent/potential.

2. I think Dawson will be cover. He isn’t that fast and his distribution isn’t great. I’m amazed how many have put him straight in and some have even dropped Kilman. Max is comfortably better than Collins in my opinion.

3. Gomes to sit deep and break up attacks with B. Traore or Lemina to cover. I’d like to see Ruben a bit higher, influencing the final third with shorter passes like he did in his earlier seasons with us.

4. A fully fit Neto (pre injury) was un-droppable so hopefully he can get back to that form soon. On the right side I think I would probably go with Sarabia because Adama is both brilliant and terrible in equal measure.

5. Mouts has been wonderful for us but Father Time has caught up. He still does some great things but lacks the energy and physicality now. Privilege to watch him play. Especially after being used to the likes of Andrews and Saville over the years.

6. I think Raul is showing signs of getting better. Whether he will ever get back to where he was is a big doubt but I do think he looks faster/sharper. Still early days with Cunha. I think he’s a good player but will he score the amount of goals a player in the striker position is expected to get?

7. A few players I haven’t mentioned because I don’t think they are good enough but overall we now have a well balanced squad with plenty of options.

Attachments

• C14737CC-A7C8-480B-BAFA-AB6BC143A52F.jpeg
    C14737CC-A7C8-480B-BAFA-AB6BC143A52F.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 14

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here’s who I would pick.

A few notes:
1. Close between RAN and Bueno. I think RAN ultimately has more talent/potential.

2. I think Dawson will be cover. He isn’t that fast and his distribution isn’t great. I’m amazed how many have put him straight in and some have even dropped Kilman. Max is comfortably better than Collins in my opinion.

3. Gomes to sit deep and break up attacks with B. Traore or Lemina to cover. I’d like to see Ruben a bit higher, influencing the final third with shorter passes like he did in his earlier seasons with us.

4. A fully fit Neto (pre injury) was un-droppable so hopefully he can get back to that form soon. On the right side I think I would probably go with Sarabia because Adama is both brilliant and terrible in equal measure.

5. Mouts has been wonderful for us but Father Time has caught up. He still does some great things but lacks the energy and physicality now. Privilege to watch him play. Especially after being used to the likes of Andrews and Saville over the years.

6. I think Raul is showing signs of getting better. Whether he will ever get back to where he was is a big doubt but I do think he looks faster/sharper. Still early days with Cunha. I think he’s a good player but will he score the amount of goals a player in the striker position is expected to get?

7. A few players I haven’t mentioned because I don’t think they are good enough but overall we now have a well balanced squad with plenty of options.
TBH this is about where i am at,

But sarabia is definitely a cam and less a winger, so the formation would tweak depending on who is starting

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think two good indicators of squad strength are not having to put square pegs in round holes and having a strong bench; looking at people’s suggestions I think we can satisfy both of these things now. I am really looking forward to seeing how the team shapes up.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really like the look of a 3-4-3 with Dawson in the centre marshalling Kilman and Collins, RAN would probably be a better option at LWB in that system as well.

Sa
Collins Dawson Kilman
Semedo Neves Nunes RAN
Sarabia Cunha Podence
We might not score a great deal, but I don't think that problem will magically become solved with the players we currently have. Our best option is probably to persist with Cunha as a striker and hope he can make that position his own with time, while being hard to beat. Hopefully Dawson can add a few goals as well from set pieces which would considerably ease the burden.

I feel like this could be our best option to make up for the fact we aren't a free scoring side. Get back to what we were good at, frustrating to play against and dangerous on the break. Trying to reinvent the wheel and turning us into prime Sevilla isn't going to happen overnight, especially when our options up top are so poor, it simply isn't going to happen.

It's stating the obvious, but the only way we'll stay up by winning games 1-0 or 2-1, a team that's scored 12 goals in 20 games isn't miraculously going to start scoring for fun.
I largely agree with you, and have nothing against the 343 system.
However I think we will mostly play 433 ( I can’t imagine we would have ourselves 8 midfielders, including Sarabia, to then plan on only playing 2 at a time).

It might well be Lopetegui uses your system and team to see out games; but I think we’ll start 433 , perhaps with Sarabia in the role Moutinho has been playing. I’d call it 42 then a diamond, rather than a proper 4231.

Back
Top Bottom