Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What Punishment for the breakaway 6?

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The point about punishing the supporters and players rather than the owners doesn't count the precedent has been set previously on that and accepted already. We've had clubs have multiple relegations as a result of points deductions as a result of administration (which actually then causes far more serious issues to those left to pick up the pieces that it will for any of these 6)

Look at this list here, ask the supporters of Luton, Pompey, Bolton, Leeds, Bury, Bournemouth who gave a **** about if it was punishing them rather than the owners at that point.

These 6 have bought our game into disrepute, they've broken the rule around entering an unlisted competition, they've potentially shared sensitive and confidential information about the league to set up a rival competition, they've tried to intimidate and have insulted their business partners at the other 14 members, there absolutely has to be a serious and significant punishment.

The first one has to be a huge and a really huge fine, I'd say equivalent to 125% of each clubs revenue for the last full season before COVID, to be paid over a number of years probably 5 through their share of TV right money (so effectively 25% a year) if it was a percentage for the next 5 years these ****ers would just defer things. This money would be used to be distributed throughout the pyramid to assist in the rebuild after COVID, to put in measures to level the playing field and to help cover the costs of the outputs from the review (for example supporters buying shareholdings ect). Even with this 25% cut, they'd still be comfortably ahead of the next best by some distance for reference.

Secondly, I'd have a pretty harsh points deduction looking at the examples above, in the past these have been very punitive often calculating both the total and where best to be applied for maximum impact - this should be no different. I would have a -17 point deduction next season as per the harshest ones previously applied and depending on the club and the material impact another -10 point deduction to be implemented this season or transferred to next if not resulting in loss of competition qualification or relegation. They should be made to understand the fear of relegation, they'll maybe get why it's a thing then.

Finally, I'd implement a transfer embargo for 1 year on each club from this summer, they will be able to sell their stars to cut costs as they look to adjust financially.

I think these punishments would pull back these clubs financially for a good few years through a combination of the fines and the impacts of points deductions as well as having an impact on their squads and stopping the widening of any gap over a slightly longer period where with good management by competitors from the wider premier league there's an opportunity to take advantage of a more levelled playing field for a few years and break that group up a bit. It would be great if one of them did go down though as a result of the measures.

I don't think UEFA will punish them with anything other than a relative slap on the wrist through a fine unfortunately even though for FFP failings they threatened exclusion from competition and this was a far more serious issue than that but at least a year suspension on their next European qualification would be nice too.

Excellent post, and one I wholeheartedly agree with. Particularly about distributing fines through the pyramid. These greedy six did not, and probably still don't, care one jot about the smaller clubs. Now they should finance those clubs.

Any points reduction should be severe enough to ensure none of them have European football for a season. Though UEFA could solve that one by banning them from European competitions for a year.

They must be made to realise the seriousness of what they have done with the most severe penalties.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Excellent post, and one I wholeheartedly agree with. Particularly about distributing fines through the pyramid. These greedy six did not, and probably still don't, care one jot about the smaller clubs. Now they should finance those clubs.

Any points reduction should be severe enough to ensure none of them have European football for a season. Though UEFA could solve that one by banning them from European competitions for a year.

They must be made to realise the seriousness of what they have done with the most severe penalties.

They have many times made clear their only care about the rest is that we are taking "their" TV money. The arrogant *******. :mad:This is why the Premier League was formed in the first place, so they could get a higher proportion of TV money. And every year, the same hogs-in-trough whinge about anyone other than the Sky 6 getting anything.

The Premier League and EUFA seem totally toothless though and always bend over backwards to those same few. Which is exactly why the hold on the game by those few has increased to the level it is at now. These latest changes in Europe to include past successes, precisely so that if the likes of Man U or Liverpool have a bad league season, they will still be in the Champions League.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They should be punished purely for bringing the game into disrepute. Was reading earlier some minor examples chairmen, managers being done for speaking out sometimes. So being the main news topic in the world for a couple of days, causing protests, getting prime ministers, royalty and lawyers involved should qualify.

I don't disagree, but you are applying logic that people who are motivated by greed won't consider. The Premier League and UEFA were only with the fans whilst they needed them to prevent this. Now they will follow the money once again.

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
Bury, Bolton, Blouse, Coventry will all feel aggrieved and rightly so.
I wonder if any of those clubs could mount a legal challenge for lost earnings etc if the scummy 6 aren’t punished?

The dilemma is though if the punishment is too punitive they might think sod it what have we got to lose and go back to forming the Super League even though personally I say good riddance.

Maybe a different approach would be to change the FFP regulations which serve to protect the so called Big 6 so as to allow other teams with lofty ambitions to more equally challenge them and dilute their power.

Don’t want a transfer embargo as there may be some bargains to have if they need to start repaying some of their debts.

Combine that with legislative change to make sure they can’t ever do it again.

Also relegate Albion to League 2, just because

BigSteve

Reaction score
Based on what I've seen in this thread, I'm not convinced they've broken any PL rules.

Whether they've brought the league into disrepute is a matter of judgement. I'd say not. I think they've brought themselves into disrepute but not the league as a whole.

Even if you could construct a case, it would end up in court and drive even more of a wedge between the clubs and the PL.

So I'd guess no sanctions at all from the PL.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more I think the forfeiture of their ‘co-efficients’ would be a very fitting punishment.

Doesn’t punish the players, coaches or fans and fits perfectly with the message that you have to earn qualification.

Would also reinforce the principle that by ignoring their club’s history, the Owners don’t get to profit from it.

Would also help to restore some of UEFA’s battered reputation and reaffirm their commitment to the sporting integrity of their competitions.

BigSteve

Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more I think the forfeiture of their ‘co-efficients’ would be a very fitting punishment.

Doesn’t punish the players, coaches or fans and fits perfectly with the message that you have to earn qualification.

Would also reinforce the principle that by ignoring their club’s history, the Owners don’t get to profit from it.

Would also help to restore some of UEFA’s battered reputation and reaffirm their commitment to the sporting integrity of their competitions.
Would just mean another team that also hadn't earned it gets bumped up the ranking and into the CL.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The pathetic apologies continue.

I'm going to keep posting in this thread so it stays high on the page (and in everyone's minds).

I've joined the FSA today and suggest everyone else does the same.

There. Must. Be. Repercussions

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
ban them from qualifying for Europa league and Champions league for a season or two

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Transfer embargo for 12 months 100m fine and deduct them 3 points start of next season. They breached the rules before backing down they need to face punishment

citrus_wolf

Reaction score
As per The Guardian:

Ceferin, having called the plan for the ESL “a spit in the face of all football lovers and society”, was in a conciliatory mood on Wednesday as more withdrawals emerged.

“It is admirable to admit a mistake and these clubs made a big mistake,” he said in a hint there would be no punishment. “But they are back in the fold now and I know they have a lot to offer not just to our competitions but to the whole of the European game. The important thing now is that we move on, rebuild the unity that the game enjoyed before this and move forward together.”

(Source: Uefa could be forced to alter Champions League plans amid backlash )

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If none of these clubs are severely punished then any club should laugh in the faces of UEFA etc if threatened with any action over FFP.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As per The Guardian:

Ceferin, having called the plan for the ESL “a spit in the face of all football lovers and society”, was in a conciliatory mood on Wednesday as more withdrawals emerged.

“It is admirable to admit a mistake and these clubs made a big mistake,” he said in a hint there would be no punishment. “But they are back in the fold now and I know they have a lot to offer not just to our competitions but to the whole of the European game. The important thing now is that we move on, rebuild the unity that the game enjoyed before this and move forward together.”

(Source: Uefa could be forced to alter Champions League plans amid backlash )

Ceferin is a joke as are UEFA.

Dingle Chris

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Let’s get this right. The fans of the of the clubs involved by large should be praised. If it wasn’t for the fans being so vocal this would have happened. It would have been to the detriment of their clubs in the long term imho but also to our national game. The fans and also the players of these clubs have done nothing wrong and by calling for punitive punishments would only succeed in driving a wedge between us and make sure the next time some arrogant jumped up owners try this it will go through. Don’t punish the fans they hated this as much as in in the most part.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 11332

Let’s get this right. The fans of the of the clubs invoked by large should be praised. If it wasn’t for the fans being so vocal this would have happened. It would have been to the detriment of their clubs in the long term imho but also to our national game. The fans and also the players of these clubs have done nothing wrong and by calling for punitive punishments would only succeed in driving a wedge between us and make sure the next time some arrogant jumped up owners try this it will go through. Don’t punish the fans they hated this as much as in in the most part.

Do nothing and it will be pushed through in the future or they will do it regularly until they get what they want.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Intensity def gone down for punishment.

Think it's on the fans again to make a shout about it
Of course it has do you really think Sky want these teams punished? Or UEFA to have their competitions next year without them. Utterly pathetic the ****ing lot of them.

Dingle Chris

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Do nothing and it will be pushed through in the future or they will do it regularly until they get what they want.
I agree in some form of punishment. Probably fines and also a change in the premier league voting system that won’t allow the six to block proposals if they vote en block. But points deductions, transfer embargo’s and banning from European competition is not the way for me.

D

Deleted member 11332

I agree in some form of punishment. Probably fines and also a change in the premier league voting system that won’t allow the six to block proposals if they vote en block. But points deductions, transfer embargo’s and banning from European competition is not the way for me.

Maybe. I'd be more inclined to leverage those things such as deductions and bans but reducing or taking away once the ownership has changed. That puts the ball in the owners court really, if they don't sell then it's them that are hurting the fans and they'll be forced out sooner rather than later.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe. I'd be more inclined to leverage those things such as deductions and bans but reducing or taking away once the ownership has changed. That puts the ball in the owners court really, if they don't sell then it's them that are hurting the fans and they'll be forced out sooner rather than later.
Binning of FFP would be a good one then we can watch them **** themselves as other teams close the gap.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do people keep saying ‘don’t punish the fans’ absolute ****in nonsense, it’s not as if the premier league are going to go round every single fan of the 6 clubs and give them a good smack. It’s not the fans fault the clubs done this but that completely and utterly misses the point. The clubs need punishing.

I don’t care it’s it’s financial, points or bans, they should face the most severe punishment any club in this country has ever received, that’s how bad this is.

Absolutely criminal the way this looks to be panning out already.

D

Deleted member 11332

Binning of FFP would be a good one then we can watch them **** themselves as other teams close the gap.

But they can just do the same, doesn't address it for me as man city would just win the league constantly cuz they could spend whether they wanted, and they would.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Difficult to decide on any punishment for 'big 6' as relegation would impact the players and club staff and it isnt their fault. Players and staff shouldnt have to take pay cuts and lose jobs because of the actions of soulless leeches. If anything the top men of each of the clubs should be banned for life from football. Need to be careful who really gets punished here.

Football should also now be regulated and made fairer for the other teams to break into top 6. Oh and while we're at it scarap VAR!!!
It isn't impossible to break into the top 6: Leicester are third and won the league 5 years ago. West Ham sit fifth. This is one of the issues the ESL would've addressed for these clubs, insulating them from these pesky pretenders.

But yes **** VAR right off!

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do people keep saying ‘don’t punish the fans’ absolute ****in nonsense, it’s not as if the premier league are going to go round every single fan of the 6 clubs and give them a good smack. It’s not the fans fault the clubs done this but that completely and utterly misses the point. The clubs need punishing.

I don’t care it’s it’s financial, points or bans, they should face the most severe punishment any club in this country has ever received, that’s how bad this is.

Spot on sedgwolf - these fans have nothing but success every year anyway (well, Arsenal and Tottenham aside, lol), but **** them. Punish the club by banning from Europe for a season, and a 15/20 points deductions the following season, making it difficult to qualify for Europe when they can go back in etc.

If they just get a slap on the wrist, don't do it again, I will be livid.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely a transfer ban on these clubs for at least 12 months and ten point minimum deductions along with huge fines that all go to lower league clubs to help out their infrastructures? Most have big enough squads to cope with this. Sick of this narrative on Sky and others about not punishing the fans. Why? It wasnt the fans fault at Pompey, Bolton, Swindon years ago, Rangers etc. They still had severe punishments.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The reality is the fans of the six are expecting, and in many cases, wanting punishment to drive their parasite owners out. Punishment needs to be strong enough to deter yet another attempt at a coup, and given the size of the prize they were seeking, that means a very significant punishment is needed.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven't read through all this but as I think the first on here to say this was all a load of tosh and would not happen I think some form of punishment is merited. The problem is I do believe the managers and players of all 6 clubs had no prior knowledge of the scheme so it seems unfair any punishment should hit them and of course the fans. Imv the punishment should be aimed at the owners who in their wisdom dreamed the whole thing up. How this can happen without hitting the fans I don't know. Something needs to happen though as once this fuss has died down some other money-making hair-brained scheme will be hatched.

D

Deleted member 11332

Possibly but it would certainly cost the yank money men much more to keep up with everyone else.

They wouldn't bother they'd just try and shift it. Everyone would be blown away by city and potentially Chelsea.

Back
Top Bottom