Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What has Hoddle done to offer hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For those who are still behind Hoddle,why is that the case? I can understand the sentiment of stability but there's no point sticking with a poor manager for stabilty's sake.So what has Hoddle done to persuade you improvement may be round the corner?

For me,the following have become synonomous with his regime:

1) Awful football that shows no signs of changing.

2) A gutless,passionless team that just cannot raise their game.This is getting worse IMO.

3) Indecision on best first XI and formation with no signs of him realising the best combination.

4)Average at best player signings.£2 million spent and none of the players signed anything better than average IMO(Franky needs more time admitedly).Postma,Ross,Rosa,Gyepes,Mcnamara all ok,nothing more,certainly nothing to convince me he could and would use more limited funds wisely.

5) Alienation of a large proportion of the support which,once again,is growing.

6)Several previously key players' performance suffering-Seol,Lescott,Cort to name 3.

So the question,what is he doing/has he done to offer any real hope?

D

dazmanwolf

The hope he offers is that we hope he doesn't extend his contract in the summer!

Is that hope enough for you?
smiley2.gif

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
dazmanwolf said:
The hope he offers is that we hope he doesn't extend his contract in the summer!

smiley2.gif

Plenty.
smiley1.gif

J

Jack Bauer

All the Hoddle defenders ever say is 'He needs more time' and 'What good will it do changing managers again?'. They can't think of a single good point about his management because there aren't any.

The Bear

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His transfer policy has so far been very astute. Frankowski can't be judged yet no matter if you think his price was too big.

B

Black Suit

The fact that he signed Anderton, leaves me hopeless for the future of my beloved club.

The Bear

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For nothing I suppose it was worth the risk.

It's just a shame he can't see that it hasn't worked and still continues to include him in the squads.

O

OldWolvesfart

His signings have yet to be proved or disproved,
Frankowski if you follow the video appears to be a natural goalscorer if
provided with crosses or balls in front of him, it would seem he was
starved of supply in the Leicester game. Getting in the box or balls in the
box seems to be something the current team have forgotten how to do.
I have said it and so have others, we have not been awarded a penalty in
recent months because seeing a Wolves player in the box is a bit like
rocking horse s--t.

The reports on Rosa are conflicting but you get the feeling he will, given
any chance or team support, prove to be a worthwhile signing.
Who would want to be playing in this team at the moment, we could do
with a camera in the dressing room. Come on Glen you can see it, call it.
Strong words at half time?? Try a little bit of Allardyce, one hand round
the throat as you offer them one last chance to get back on the pitch and
earn a living.

The Bear

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apart from Anderton:

Gyepes was a good solid signing for realistic money. (400k)

Ricketts as well, even though many have currently gone off him on here. He was one of the better players at Leicester and has been previously when he's played. (Free)

Postma looked good at first but has gone downhill recently. (undisclosed fee - prob couple of hundred K)

Ross looks a good acquisition. (Nominal fee?)

Frankowski & Aliadiere are at least giving us some brief glimmer of hope at the minute, though it still has to be seen. (£1.4m + Loan)

Rosa v Leicester was the first time I saw him and looks promising. (Free)

Huddlestone was a good young signing. Shame he couldn't stay on. (Loan)

You notice apart from Frankowski the most he has spent on a player is £400k. The rest have been frees, loans or nominal fees. I call that pretty astute signings, and none of them apart from Anderton, at a cost of only his wages, have failed miserably.

O

OldWolvesfart

The Bear said:
Apart from Anderton:

Ricketts as well, even though many have currently gone off him on here.
He was one of the better players at Leicester and has been previously
when he's played. (Free)

Postma looked good at first but has gone downhill recently. (undisclosed
fee - prob couple of hundred K)

Frankowski & Aliadiere are at least giving us some brief glimmer of hope
at the minute, though it still has to be seen. (£1.4m + Loan)

Huddlestone was a good young signing. Shame he couldn't stay on.
(Loan)

You notice apart from Frankowski the most he has spent on a player is
£400k. The rest have been frees, loans or nominal fees. I call that pretty
astute signings, and none of them apart from Anderton, at a cost of only
his wages, have failed miserably.

You are right Bear, he knows how to sniff oit a good player, but maybe he
has a Roy of the Rovers outlook. He has a picture in his head what will
happen on the pitch but it never pans out that way. As you say Anderton
was and is a mystery to most.

D

Deleted member 3573J

Gyepes is the only good signing so far, as Hoddle says 'quite a find'.

Ricketts has been inconsistent, mainly due to injury.

Postma was good initially, but now I think Oakes should be given another chance.

Huddlestone - the same as Postma, good initially, but was awful towards the end of his loan spell, no great loss.

Ross - decent signing, better than Edwards IMO but where's he gone? He has some passion so maybe that's the reason he's been over looked recently.

Franky and Rosa, time will tell.

The Bear

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jim Bowen said:
This is what puzzles me. Before he had his injury he was playing well and contributed to a fair share of goals. He is our most direct midfielder behind Cameron and Davies who aren't going to be regulars going on what Hoddle says.

I just don't understand this sudden fall from grace Ricketts has had. He had one bad game after an injury and now he is useless?

G

Golden Oldie

Leave Hoddle alone. His job is hard enough as it is without all the critisism he's getting.
smiley7.gif

He can't do right for doing wrong.
smiley9.gif

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Bear said:
Jim Bowen said:
This is what puzzles me. Before he had his injury he was playing well and contributed to a fair share of goals. He is our most direct midfielder behind Cameron and Davies who aren't going to be regulars going on what Hoddle says.

I just don't understand this sudden fall from grace Ricketts has had. He had one bad game after an injury and now he is useless?

Has there been one player who has played well throughout the season? Ince maybe in the few games he has played after injury.The rest have been up & down like a fiddler's elbow, down,probably to being bamboozled by the tactics & constantly changing formation.

S

scottishwolf II

The Bear said:
Jim Bowen said:

This is what puzzles me. Before he had his injury he was playing
well and contributed to a fair share of goals. He is our most direct
midfielder behind Cameron and Davies who aren't going to be regulars
going on what Hoddle says.

I just don't understand this sudden fall from grace Ricketts has
had. He had one bad game after an injury and now he is useless?

with you on that one - ricketts situation mystifies me. and the ross one is starting to make me wonder a little as well

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
dazmanwolf said:

smiley2.gif
As far as I understand it he is on a rolling 12 month contract which means he is extending his contract every day.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Bear said:
Apart from Anderton:

Ricketts as well, even though many have currently gone off him on here. He was one of the better players at Leicester and has been previously when he's played. (Free)

Postma looked good at first but has gone downhill recently. (undisclosed fee - prob couple of hundred K)

Frankowski & Aliadiere are at least giving us some brief glimmer of hope at the minute, though it still has to be seen. (£1.4m + Loan)

Huddlestone was a good young signing. Shame he couldn't stay on. (Loan)

You notice apart from Frankowski the most he has spent on a player is £400k. The rest have been frees, loans or nominal fees. I call that pretty astute signings, and none of them apart from Anderton, at a cost of only his wages, have failed miserably.
If all our free and nominal signings were free and nominal we should have a lot more money to spend..............but they aint free and nominal.
smiley22.gif

F

fenella

The Bear said:

One big signing and lots of frees, loans or nominal - that's the same story (at best) at every other Championship club, including Reading and Sheff Utd. The league table clearly shows that these players have failed miserably.

D

Deleted member 3545

Hoddles transfers so far have been good apart for Anderton ( even fergie signs a duffer now and then).

Frankowski and Rosa need time to settle in and IMHO i dont think we will see the best of them this season as January is too late for them to settle in should of signed them pre-season.

Aliadiere May be the one to bring us goals but his statement about not hopeing that the CCC is physical doesnt shine a good light on matters, but Wenger thinks Wolves style of play will suit him.

Huddlestone was only ever a short team signing nothing was ever mentioned about signing him on a season loan, Wolves got him for a extra 2 months than previously agreed and Spurs said if we sell some of our midfielders he will be coming back which to me is fair enough as he is their player.

All his other signings have been good deals, what do the fans want us to sign Owen, Beckham etc??

All the good players get signed by the prem clubs or areover priced by thier clubsand Wolves cannot compete with this anymore.

Even lower division clubs want £500,000-£1.5Million for their players and Wolves just dont have that kind of money to spend.

IMHO Wolves, Ipswich, Norwich, Derby, Southampton, Coventry, Leicester have all had money to spend in the past it hasnt worked out and now have to all fight for the scraps.

1wolves

We have signed 2 strikers in the window, but they will not make a difference, as we cannot give them any service. The glenn hoddle wolves don't break teams down, they are easy to play against.

Frankowski and Ali won't make a difference until we give them service!

G

Golden Oldie

Every manager goes through bad spells ala Alex Ferguson, Arsen Wenger and i'm sure Muirinio will do at some point.

Hoddle's got a good record since he joined us, yet just because we look like we're going to miss out on the play-offs, some are shouting for his neck.
smiley7.gif

If we were guaranteed a spot in the play-offs but had beenplaying s!$* week in week out, would you still want Hoddle out?
smiley5.gif

Edited by: Golden Oldie

M

Markwolf

Course we wouldn't. At the end of the day its about points on the board. And we dont have enough. In a poor division. Playing sleep inducing ineffective football. Yes we are hard to beat. But we also find it hard to win.

S

sillytuna

Erm, Oldie, Hoddle doesn't have a good record since he joined us at all! Additionally we've looked dreadful all season.

I'm not sure that picking on his signings is the right thing to do as he obviously has an eye for a player and is definately a very good coach indeed.

Look at the types of players he has and hasn't signed tho, and the tactics/team selections for matches. That's where the problem lies and where there is absolutely no sign of improvement.

After over a year in the job, we should be seeing improvements. I think many of us could take not getting all the good results if we were just being inconsistent but showing some passion and generally improving. However we're consistently poor and passionless, and rarely cause teams trouble.

Edited by: sillytuna

T

The Punisher

Golden Oldie Hoddle has not got a good record since he joined unless you are a fan of bore draws!

The whole reason we want him out is due to the fact we are 8 points off the play offs and 36 points off automatic promotion with crap football to boot
smiley7.gif

Unless I am mistaken didn't Hoddle proclaim in the summer that we would be making a sustained effort to win the Championship?!

Didn't he state he was happy with the squad and only needed icing on the cake?

What a joke that is now Hoddle!

G

Golden Oldie

The Punisher said:
Didn't he state he was happy with the squad and only needed icing on the cake?

What a joke that is now Hoddle!

The icing will be promotion. Have patience. Rome wasn't built ia a day was it? We should at least give him one more season surely.
smiley5.gif

T

The Punisher

What! One more season of this pathetic football? No thanks

G

Golden Oldie

The Punisher said:
What! One more season of this pathetic football? No thanks

Who's to say a new manager will improve things ala GH replacing DJ. We could be back to square one yet again.
smiley5.gif

Makes sense to me to build on what we've already got.

T

The Punisher

I would hope a new manager would play his left winger on the left wing rather than the right side of central midfieldand his strikers upront rather than on the wing!

I would also hope he would play 4-4-2 and he would purchase 2 pacy wingers to boot or give the likes of Gobern & Danny Jones a chance.

G

Golden Oldie

The Punisher said:
I would hope a new manager would play his left winger on the left wing rather than the right side of central midfieldand his strikers upront rather than on the wing!

I would also hope he would play 4-4-2 and he would purchase 2 pacy wingers to boot or give the likes of Gobern & Danny Jones a chance.

And if he didn't, I suppose you'd want him sacked as well?
smiley9.gif

T

The Punisher

If he was failing in his job as Hoddle is then yes of course I would!

It would all depend on what the strategy , long term planning and style of football a new manager would choose to adopt.

If say we did not spend any money but instead brought through youngsters from the academy I would not expect instant promotion but progression over a 3- 5 year period.

It's a different story though when your side is packed full of internationals on high wages and also when your manager makes statements in the summer telling the fans we are making a strong push for the championship and then finds himself 36 points behind the leaders and 8 points behind the play offs with 15 games to go!

G

Golden Oldie

The Punisher said:
It's a different story though when your manager makes statements in the summer telling the fans we are making a strong push for the championship and then finds himself 36 points behind the leaders and 8 points behind the play offs with 15 games to go!

What would you have preferred him to say?Give me 2 years and i'll turn the clubs fortunes around?
smiley5.gif

I give up.
smiley9.gif

T

The Punisher

No the point I am making Golden Oldie is I would expect after the bold statements that Hoddle made in the summer for him to deliver not to be 8 points behind the play off places and playing some of the most turgid passionless football I have ever witnessed following Wolves.

On the other hand if Hoddle had stated in the summer that there was a long term plan that involved integrating youngsters into the squad and purchasing young hungry players from the lower leagues then yes I would have accepted another 2-3 years in this league as long as there was progression and as I have said before a long term plan.

Hoddle was very confident that both himself and this sqaud would deliver automatic promotion as he stated at the start of the season and you would think with the players at his disposal that he would have delivered this season but IMHO and quite a few other fans on here he has failed spectacularly as it stands!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom