Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What formation do you want to see us play this season?

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I realised I hadn't done a poll for a couple of days(!)

I presume 4atb will win, but I'm curious as to just how large the victory will be.

5atb has been amazing for us but, alas, I feel it should be relegated to back up plan now. We just don't score enough goals with it.

Agree?

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
4atb is the obvious answer to me, but then of course our squad is even more unbalanced with 4 CB's on the bench every week, while still missing a backup midfielder and a striker..

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I realised I hadn't done a poll for a couple of days(!)

I presume 4atb will win, but I'm curious as to just how large the victory will be.

5atb has been amazing for us but, alas, I feel it should be relegated to back up plan now. We just don't score enough goals with it.

Agree?
Can we have a "horses for courses" option? Four at the back against Fulham is one thing. Four at the back against Citeh is something else entirely. I expect us to use both depending on who (and indeed how) we are playing.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We might want 4 at the back, my vote, but come September we might be pleading for a return to 5 and a point as I can see us needing to scrap for every point to keep our heads above water. We’ll defend for our lives and try and score on the break and it will be pragmatic, turgid football.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will cry if we line up against the weaker teams at home with 3 centrebacks.......can see the need for both at times though ...

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We'll play both at varying points, but it is time to move to 4 at the back and be more adventurous in our play.

To be honest, I can't stomach another season of 5 at the back and only scoring 30 odd goals. It's just not entertaining.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Predominantly 4 at the back. So fed up of watching us struggle to create chances, let alone score goals against weak teams. From Huddersfield to Norwich, it's time it changed now.

I touched upon on another forum last week - We can't win the league, of course. At best, if everything goes right we may be able to push for top 6/7. So with that in mind, how about we actually become enjoyable to watch instead? Contrary to some beliefs, playing 4 at the back doesn't mean you naturally turn into a team managed by Kevin Keegan in terms of gung ho. We'll be absolutely fine against 75% of the league playing it.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Voted 4 but at times we may need to play the 5 nothing should be rigid a bit of flexibility will be needed depending on circumstances.

Wolves2018

Reaction score
5atb for the stronger teams and play counter attack, always seems to do well against the likes of city, Chelsea and spurs etc but 4atb for everyone else outside of top 6, it will allow us to play some fluid football, i do worry about playing 4atb against the likes of Liverpool though, would be a damaging scoreline imo.

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
Whilst i still think 5 at the back can be more adventurous than we have been playing it; it would be nice to get MGW, Raul, Neto and Pod all on the pitch at the same time, and think any of the attacking players would benefit.

As others have said; i think it is what suits. 352 against certain teams, but more attacking intent against the majority. I can see Collins and Kilman making a good pairing.

With the extra subs i wonder if we will switch it around in game more. Ending games with 5 if we are winning.

I think one of our big problems was being too predictable. Being able to change it up will be a bonus

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Depends on who the opposition are and, more importantly, who the midfielders are.

If we’re going to a 4-3-3 with a midfield of Neves, Dendoncker and Moutinho then I don’t think it is worth risking our defensive solidarity when you’re effectively just swapping Coady for Dendoncker.

If it’s to enable us to play with three of Podence, MGW, Adama and Neto behind a striker and we bring another quality midfielder in then I’m all for it.

I’m hoping (and thinking) we’ll utilise both formations at various stages throughout the season.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t want us tied to either formation exclusively, but taking the question to mean which formation do you predominantly want to see us play, it’d be a 4.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
4 at the back as long as it is 4-4-2 for me.
If it is a choice between 3-4-3 and 4-3-3, I'd go for the first one.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd like 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, the only problem with that is we only have 2 centre backs who are capable of playing in a back 4 so any injuries/suspensions and it's back to a back 5, and we also only have 3 senior cm's, I think we will probably be playing a back 3 again for most of this season

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Depends on who the opposition are and, more importantly, who the midfielders are.

If we’re going to a 4-3-3 with a midfield of Neves, Dendoncker and Moutinho then I don’t think it is worth risking our defensive solidarity when you’re effectively just swapping Coady for Dendoncker.

If it’s to enable us to play with three of Podence, MGW, Adama and Neto behind a striker and we bring another quality midfielder in then I’m all for it.

I’m hoping (and thinking) we’ll utilise both formations at various stages throughout the season.

It's swapping Donk for Coady but also allowing us to play a higher line, press higher up the pitch and also get more players into the box. Donk also looks bloody good so far in preseason

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d give 433 a good chance.
Think it can be a compromise between 4231 and 343.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We'll play both at varying points, but it is time to move to 4 at the back and be more adventurous in our play.

To be honest, I can't stomach another season of 5 at the back and only scoring 30 odd goals. It's just not entertaining.
If the choice is entertainment or relegation l will take boring every bloody time.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The line up for Leeds with Raul out

Sa
Jonny Collins Kilman RAN
Donk Neves Moutinho
MGW Podence Neto

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve gone for 4 at the back on the premise that we sign a strong and mobile DM to play alongside Neves.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would quite like a true, holding defensive midfield option in the squad, as I think it opens up a whole world of possibilities.

For example, we could push the right and left centre backs a little bit wider, with more defensive protection coming from the DMs. Collins and Kilman offer good balance in these roles as both can play at fullback.

Would allow us to play Adama and Neto (or Ait Nouri) as more traditional wide midfielders, rather than playing with fullbacks or wingbacks.

Something like this.....

3-2-3-1-1.jpg

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Might as well play Man Utd’s 4-2-2-2 now.

Sa
Jonny Collins Kilman RAN
moutinho Neves
Donck Podence
MGW Neto

With MGW and Neto as wide forwards, Jonny and RAN (Semedo providing width) and Donck/Podence in the box.

No subs allowed.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As it stands we should probably be lining up at leeds with

Sa
Jonny collins kilman ait nouri
Neves moutinho
Neto Mgw podence
Campbell

It has to 4-2-3-1 rather than dendoncker in a 3, but suspect it will be the latter

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You ask what formation should we play. I dont mind as long as both players we can field can play together.
:eek::rolleyes:

Wanderer Til I Die

Reaction score
4-3-3 (when everyone fit)

Sa

Semedo Collins Kilman Jonny

MGW Neves Moutinho

Neto Raul Podence

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa