Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What do you expect

Pintandkebab

Reaction score
It's been interesting reading the last couple of weeks on here since Nuno left . I am intrigued by various views on here so thought I would start my first thread .

We have finished 7th twice in the league and played in Europe after getting promotion from the championship only a few seasons ago . Last season like many on here was disappointing but really I am not sure what we as fans should be expecting . I like many have grown up with the great Sir Jack running the show and then Morgan and now we have Fosun who have pumped millions into my great club and given me 3 of the best seasons that I could only dream of on football manager .

Now I like many and probably like human nature want to progress and look for top 6 or a cup win . But really to do this with financial fair play ( which I don't understand 100 percent) i think seems almost impossible unless we drop lucky on some signings and do what Leicester did a few seasons ago.

I am hoping for this in the coming season and would love us to finish top 7 but for me I am just enjoying the ride . We are all different in our views but realistically people having a dig at Jeff , Fosun , And company what are we really expecting as fans ?. As for me if someone said we should be challenging Man U , Liverpool , Man City , Chelsea then we need to spend 300 million which surely we can see won't happen.

Just my thoughts but interested to see what others are thinking.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes.....let’s be realistic.
Catching up to the bigger, richer clubs is going to take some time.......good grief, even a budgie can understand that.
If we can finish up in the top 10 over the next several years, then I’ll be satisfied. Obviously I’d love better but I’m not going to delude myself.
I can accept our current limitations.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Lots of entitled fans on here have had their say recently. Fans who don't bear any financial risks themselves. Fans who live in cloud cuckoo land who believe an owner should risk the financial well-being of a club so that they can have more bragging rights. Fans who want instant success. Fans who are never satisfied.
Unfortunately those "fans" seem to be some of the most vocal.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I expect at the start of every season that the clubs aim is to win the league and cups not aiming for comfortable mid table and early knock outs from the cup.
Have some ambition FFS not just being happy to be on the pitch with the “ big boys”.

R

reanswolf

I think some fans really expected us to be the next Chelski or Man City in ten years based on Fosun saying certain things at certain times.

I didn't enjoy the footy last season but we still held our own in the top flight despite the circumstances. The 3 seasons prior were a dream.

More than anything, it would be nice to remain around the top half of the premiership but 'not' price out ordinary fans, but maybe that is expecting too much and being unrealistic. There a few wonderful things about this football club..........the name, the colours, the tradition and history, and the fanbase. The fanbase is what it is..............in the main a working class town-centre club, and I would hate us to become passionate-less over the years like Man City were in the final on Saturday.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Expectation at Wolves was driven by the owners, not by the fans. Most fans would have been happy with challenging for promotion from the Championship when Fosun took over from Steve. It was Fosun who came out with the challenging for the top and put their money where there mouth was, backing Nuno and getting Wolves promoted, challenging the established order and playing in Europe. Fans bought into the 'hype' and now, when things are tougher for a multitude of reasons, some of which couldn't have been foreseen, fans are rightly disappointed and some vocal. That's quite normal. It's nothing to do with 'entitlement'!
As a long-suffering Wolves' fan for longer than a lot of people on this site has been alive, I resent the use of the word 'entitled'. I've had more disappointments from my team than most, I've seen too many false dawns and broken promises from various regimes. I'm not naive enough to blindly believe what the owners of Wolves say, but judge them by their actions. To date, Fosun has got more right than wrong, however over the past 18 months, that has changed. Until very recently, we'd heard nothing from Fosun. The summer transfer window was a predictable disappointment, relying predominantly on untried kids, hardly replacing Jota and Doherty, they were slow to replace Jimenez and when they did so, it was with another disappointment and then Nuno was sacked. It is no wonder that fans are disgruntled, especially on the back of the pandemic and not being able to attend matches.
Personally, I'm more reassured following the latest 'mutterings' from the hierarchy at Wolves and a feeling of apathy or worse is slowly being replaced by a more optimistic feel, but as I said, earlier, Fosun will be judged on what they do, not what they say. The new manager is of course crucial and dealings in the transfer market probably more important now than when Fosun first took over. I'll have a better view of where Wolves are going in August and will know whether my glass is half-full or half-empty. What I won't be in August is 'entitled'.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think some fans really expected us to be the next Chelski or Man City in ten years based on Fosun saying certain things at certain times.

I didn't enjoy the footy last season but we still held our own in the top flight despite the circumstances. The 3 seasons prior were a dream.

More than anything, it would be nice to remain around the top half of the premiership but 'not' price out ordinary fans, but maybe that is expecting too much and being unrealistic. There a few wonderful things about this football club..........the name, the colours, the tradition and history, and the fanbase. The fanbase is what it is..............in the main a working class town-centre club, and I would hate us to become passionate-less over the years like Man City were in the final on Saturday.
^
If prices go up,, there is a high risk that if we lose the first few games , fosun will be slated massively

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have said on other threads I am really worried about next season. I know the record books will show we were 17 points above the relegation zone, which looks really comfortable, but I think that is masked by three or four rather fortunate results and an exceptionally poor bottom 3 this year.

I think the clubs promoted from the championship this year are stonger and I think there are risks associated with a new manager and squad restructuring.

We need far more goals in this team and that is extremely difficult with limited funds.

I am trying not to get into doom and gloom mode, but right now I would settle for 45 points right now. Strangely, I think next season is a risk, but if we get through that I think we will get better as our younger players build experience.

So next season I will be more than happy with 10th to 13th - obviously I desperately want to be proved wrong.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have said on other threads I am really worried about next season. I know the record books will show we were 17 points above the relegation zone, which looks really comfortable, but I think that is masked by three or four rather fortunate results and an exceptionally poor bottom 3 this year.

I think the clubs promoted from the championship this year are stonger and I think there are risks associated with a new manager and squad restructuring.

We need far more goals in this team and that is extremely difficult with limited funds.

I am trying not to get into doom and gloom mode, but right now I would settle for 45 points right now. Strangely, I think next season is a risk, but if we get through that I think we will get better as our younger players build experience.

So next season I will be more than happy with 10th to 13th - obviously I desperately want to be proved wrong.
I have to disagree.

The lack of goals last season was a result of the negative tactics, not the players we have.

We have some breathtaking forward players, who will thrive under a coach with an attacking style. (caveat accepted that we need them all back fit and healthy)

And the lack of funds (due to FFP) ignores the fact we always operate in the loan market.

I'm genuinely excited for next season, much more so than I was a couple of weeks back

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lots of entitled fans on here have had their say recently. Fans who don't bear any financial risks themselves. Fans who live in cloud cuckoo land who believe an owner should risk the financial well-being of a club so that they can have more bragging rights. Fans who want instant success. Fans who are never satisfied.

This

Pintandkebab

Reaction score
I have to disagree.

The lack of goals last season was a result of the negative tactics, not the players we have.

We have some breathtaking forward players, who will thrive under a coach with an attacking style. (caveat accepted that we need them all back fit and healthy)

And the lack of funds (due to FFP) ignores the fact we always operate in the loan market.

I'm genuinely excited for next season, much more so than I was a couple of weeks back
I must admit I agree with you but without wanting to comparing sides as different setups . Villa did much better this season by adding 3/4 players to key areas in the 11 . So if we sign 4 players for the 11 with the likes of Jiminez , Neto , Podence , Traore then hopefully we can start to score some goals . Yes some of those might be sold probably not Neto or Raul as injured but surely we would replace them with similar or better players for new managers system .

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was a bad season last year but we still won 12 games

undefeated against the champions of Europe (Chelsea)

the double over arsenal

okay they maybe the highlights, however it was still a better finish than anything any other previous manager has done for us in the premier league.

This new manager whoever it is has big boots to fill, and we must get this right and bring in the correct players or else it could all go very pear shaped indeed.

djmikeydickens

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing Raul play again, fingers crossed after a few games he gets back up to speed. When everyone is fit and with a few decent signings I'd hope to be top 10...and maybe a cup run. The main thing is having a full molineux and watching us on the front foot trying to win matches rather than not lose them. It could be a disaster season but im optimistic.

D

Deleted member yltz11841

What I expect all depends on the transfer window we have. The least I’d expect though is that every player leaves everything on the pitch every game we play, win, lose or draw with some hopefully exciting football.

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's been interesting reading the last couple of weeks on here since Nuno left . I am intrigued by various views on here so thought I would start my first thread .

We have finished 7th twice in the league and played in Europe after getting promotion from the championship only a few seasons ago . Last season like many on here was disappointing but really I am not sure what we as fans should be expecting . I like many have grown up with the great Sir Jack running the show and then Morgan and now we have Fosun who have pumped millions into my great club and given me 3 of the best seasons that I could only dream of on football manager .

Now I like many and probably like human nature want to progress and look for top 6 or a cup win . But really to do this with financial fair play ( which I don't understand 100 percent) i think seems almost impossible unless we drop lucky on some signings and do what Leicester did a few seasons ago.

I am hoping for this in the coming season and would love us to finish top 7 but for me I am just enjoying the ride . We are all different in our views but realistically people having a dig at Jeff , Fosun , And company what are we really expecting as fans ?. As for me if someone said we should be challenging Man U , Liverpool , Man City , Chelsea then we need to spend 300 million which surely we can see won't happen.

Just my thoughts but interested to see what others are thinking.

outlook a: woeful season

Multiple threads of joy, excitement and exhilaration after every good result. Cries of " we are going to win the league if we put a decent run together and then the champions league next season"
Thread after thread of woe and anxiety on the Mix after every poor game! "we're doomed!! Doomed I tell yee!!"
out of control pant wetting at every sign of a possible set back
Hand wringing is off the charts when things don't go out way
blame VAR for everything
wonder what fosuns plans are for the future

Outlook b Average to Good season

Multiple threads of joy, excitement and exhilaration after every good result. Cries of " we are going to win the league one day and then the champions league"
Thread after thread of woe and anxiety on the Mix after every poor game! "we're doomed!! Doomed I tell yee!!"
blame VAR for everything

Outlook C : excellent season top 6 finish at least

Multiple threads of joy, excitement and exhilaration after every good result. Cries of " we are going to win the league and then the Champions league"
blame VAR for everything

Woody

Groupie
Reaction score
Having endured near extinction in the 80s, the endless battle for promotion in the 90s and only Premier League relegation battles until Fosun came along, another comfortable season to continue our 'established' premier status will do nicely.
Mid-table with some decent football along the way. Anything else is a bonus.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
regaining some sort of identity in our play, progress and improvement from Silva and a few of the other younger members of the squad, one or 2 youth team members getting some game time. A top half finish. Some inconsistency

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we don't go down and our matches aren't painfully boring to watch it's probably makes it an improvement on this season.

In terms of what i expect i will wait and see how the squad looks and who the manager is before I guess on that.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From my point of view I would snap your hand off now if we were guaranteed a finish between 10-12th next season whilst playing good attacking football.
This, I’d rather lose 4-3 than 1-0, I’ve always said that. I hope for 10th or above but the transfer window is the great unknown

I expect we will sell Mir Cutrone (or loan him) Vinagre Patricio and release Moutinho. As in maybe either Traore or Podence then that leaves us very low on numbers

Add in minimum
1 high quality gk
1 high quality cb
1 high quality cm
1 high quality forward who can play across the 3
Plus a couple of squad fillers, probably loaning sone of these then there could be over 15 ins and outs this season, very very busy

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What do I expect?

The same thing I have always expected, that every player in a Wolves shirt gives his all in every game. If they do that then we can ask for no more. Though obviously with the players we have, a top ten finish should be a possibility.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
I said at the time that I felt finishing 7th in consecutive seasons after promotion is one of the great achievements in recent managerial history and that with restrictions on FFP, no Manager would improve on that given our current wage bill in relation to others.

My expectation if Lage is appointed is that he (or anyone) will be on a hiding to nothing purely because he isn’t Nuno.

Would see a similar season to this year where we have some relegation worries but ultimately finish somewhere around 12-15th (hopefully with more entertainment than we saw this year).

Without massive investment, which I can’t see happening in this environment, I don’t think any Manager (including Nuno) would do much better than that.

Last edited:

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Lage is appointed, and he is able to successfully trade around, with little net spend, to adapt to suit his favoured 442, then it could be an interesting season. We could potentially see ourselves start well and tonk a few teams and go on some long winning runs, sitting very high in the league. We could just as easily then lose a key player to injury or suspension, and find we go on a winless streak and slide. We may end up in a similar position to recent seasons, but with a more rollercoaster ride, perhaps winning a cup along the way. Dreaming is for free :)

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s very difficult to know quite what to expect in the immediate future. There are just too many ‘unknowns’, IE - The pandemic, new manager, transfer budget and Fosun’s commitment (amidst worsening UK-China relations).

What I hope for is a competitive Wolves team that plays attractive football and firmly establishes us in the top flight. To win a trophy would be the icing on the cake.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What i would like is a huge dollop of realism from the fans,we are not near a top 6 side and probably wont be for many seasons
We overachieved in the first season, and are paying for it with FFP and over expectation,plus a hugely damaging injury list to key players

Yes Fosun dangled the carrot, but covid, and our performance levels, have scuppered that and cost Nuno his job

The new manager has a huge job on his hands,i hope people will give him the time and support needed to do it,but feel sympathy will be in short supply next season,i hope im wrong there

Personally i just want survival for next season,and if that sounds defeatist or over egged then so be it,i feel anything better is a huge bonus from where we are now

Of course much depends on buying and selling and the set up for next season,i still believe we are just 3/4 good players short of a very capable side,but so much depends on Raul and Neto coming back as good as before and as soon as possible,i fear Jonny may be too much of an ask, but RAN is improving and i hope we take up his option

We have some good young talent,and some very able senior players,if a few of those can refind their best form and settle in with the new manager we may surprise even me,i do hope so

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I expect at the start of every season that the clubs aim is to win the league and cups not aiming for comfortable mid table and early knock outs from the cup.
Have some ambition FFS not just being happy to be on the pitch with the “ big boys”.
I don't understand this

Of course every club aims to win the league and the cups (well...maybe not the cups last season). Right?

It's just not realistic to think that Burnley will win the league next season. Even more unrealistic to think they will spunk 160 million on players, bankrupting the club in the hope they can do it!

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said at the time that I felt finishing 7th in consecutive seasons after promotion is one of the great achievements in recent managerial history and that with restrictions on FFP, no Manager would improve on that given our current wage bill in relation to others.

My expectation if Lage is appointed is that he (or anyone) will be on a hiding to nothing purely because he isn’t Nuno.

Would see a similar season to this year where we have some relegation worries but ultimately finish somewhere around 12-15th (hopefully with more entertainment than we saw this year).

Without massive investment, which I can’t see happening in this environment, I don’t think any Manager (including Nuno) would do much better than that.
I agree that finishing 7th x 2 was a huge - and, in many ways, underappreciated feat.

Id like to think we will do better than 12th-15th (although id still probably take 'safe from relegation').
We have a top ten squad when everyone is fit. Last season showed what happens when everyone isn't fit. A few shrewd signings, a few high profile departures, some much-needed energy injected into the players and I'd be hoping we finish top half.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Didn't take long for this thread to turn into a "Slagging off other fans" session. :rolleyes: Not sure what any of that rant has to do with the original question, but hey, a lot of people gave it likes!

Anyway, hope and expectation are different things. My hope is for mid-table. Avoid the dreaded relegation battle. We are deeper into transformation than a year ago, new manager, so a top 6/7 challenge is going to beyond us. All I expect is that the owners go about things with the clubs best interests at heart - and the fans are a big part of the club, as we kept being told throughout the "no fans "season. Words are cheap and actions speak louder, though.

Ultimately, the final position will reflect how good a job has been done.

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope we can stay up and somehow return some ambition rather than selling our crown jewels which we have found really hard to replace.

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
I’d like to think with the right additions and if Bruno comes in and settles quickly, we could get into the top half. It’s a difficult one because the reality is we’re one of a number of clubs who could finish anywhere between 5th and 20th. Not that I think we’ll go down obviously, but we’re not immune if we have a real disaster.
I think the other thing is that I hope we’re a damn sight better to watch next season. Whether it’s having to watch on TV etc but at times we were a real slog to watch this season and I know a lot of people outside of Wolves felt the same too.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think anyone in their right mind would rip your arm off for that under the circumstances.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't take long for this thread to turn into a "Slagging off other fans" session. :rolleyes: Not sure what any of that rant has to do with the original question, but hey, a lot of people gave it likes!

Anyway, hope and expectation are different things. My hope is for mid-table. Avoid the dreaded relegation battle. We are deeper into transformation than a year ago, new manager, so a top 6/7 challenge is going to beyond us. All I expect is that the owners go about things with the clubs best interests at heart - and the fans are a big part of the club, as we kept being told throughout the "no fans "season. Words are cheap and actions speak louder, though.

Ultimately, the final position will reflect how good a job has been done.

The slagging fans off is beyond boring now, it's making me really tetchy reading this forum and I have to hold back from calling people ****s :tearsofjoy:

I don't think any Wolves fan feels we are entitled to be top 6 and winning things, I think Nuno and these players showed that we can compete near to that level and that's all fans want, for us to be competitive and play some nice football.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m trying to think of any examples of clubs in the PL, below the dirty 6, that have brought in a new manager, made wholesale changes to their squad (on a pretty tight budget) and managed to push on from where they were.

Can’t think of many. But perhaps if there are we can hope to replicate what they achieved.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The slagging fans off is beyond boring now, it's making me really tetchy reading this forum and I have to hold back from calling people ****s :tearsofjoy:

I don't think any Wolves fan feels we are entitled to be top 6 and winning things, I think Nuno and these players showed that we can compete near to that level and that's all fans want, for us to be competitive and play some nice football.

Just realised that a message that mentions nothing to do with the original question has got far more likes than those that have. Could have a field day going into the psychology behind this! It's like "Road rage", but "Post rage". :) Let the anger out.

May I suggest an "Discuss/Insult other fans here" thread, so all the spite can be kept in one, easily avoidable, place? Meanwhile, the rest of the forum can talk about Wolves, rather than Wolves fans.

Back
Top Bottom