Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What a turnaround !

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Four defeats in the first five games, a draw at Luton, it's 30th September and we're about to face Man City. Who isn't expecting a relegation battle ?
Fast forward to 18th February, we have 35 points. That's 31 points in the last 19 games. We're basically safe with 13 games to go.
Fantastic.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Four defeats in the first five games, a draw at Luton, it's 30th September and we're about to face Man City ! Who isn't expecting a relegation battle ?
Fast forward to 18th February, we have 35 points. That's 31 points in the last 19 games ! We're basically safe with 13 games to go.
Fantastic.
We're 100% safe now. No way are we going down. Been an amazing turnaround. Fair play to Gaz

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's really strange watching Wolves over the past few weeks, knowing that we are safe from relegation, pretty much a secure mid-table side now, how relaxed I am. I don't get so pent up during matches and in fact I can enjoy them more knowing that even if we **** up, like we did v Brentford, the consequences are not potentially disastrous. I think I'm going to get more agitated in the Cup games now as with favourable draws Wembley is a realistic dream.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Four defeats in the first five games, a draw at Luton, it's 30th September and we're about to face Man City. Who isn't expecting a relegation battle ?
Fast forward to 18th February, we have 35 points. That's 31 points in the last 19 games. We're basically safe with 13 games to go.
Fantastic.
I mean, it was expected with a coach change that close to the season. I was never worried about relegation, but I am surprised we are scoring so much!

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's so blindingly obvious in retrospect that all GON needed was more time

Who would have thunk it?
I will freely admit that after the Ipswich cup game I thought GON was out of his depth and would gladly have pulled the trigger that night. Thankfully the club have more patience and sense than I do.

Dorbelflunk

Reaction score
I will freely admit that after the Ipswich cup game I thought GON was out of his depth and would gladly have pulled the trigger that night. Thankfully the club have more patience and sense than I do.
A few of us said things after that Ispwich game we'd love to take back.

I was fearing the worst today without Cunha, but there's a real never say die attitude around the place at the moment. GON must have team morale very high indeed.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the issue as we all know. Get results against the better teams and it builds hope for a potential European challenge only to drop points in the more favourable games. I guess this is why we’re a mid table team

I think a good performance against one of these teams, even for a draw would be a big step as we often look undercooked or just don’t play well against lower quality teams

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's really strange watching Wolves over the past few weeks, knowing that we are safe from relegation, pretty much a secure mid-table side now, how relaxed I am. I don't get so pent up during matches and in fact I can enjoy them more knowing that even if we **** up, like we did v Brentford, the consequences are not potentially disastrous. I think I'm going to get more agitated in the Cup games now as with favourable draws Wembley is a realistic dream.
I think I have little fear of contradiction when I suggest that everyone on here are very pleased that you are relaxed and less pent up.
Perfec.
:cool:

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the main thing for me is the last few seasons we have been predictable and boring to watch if I am honest .

We attack and get players forward. I don't expect us to win the league or even be top 6 . But for me I am been entertained and that's what this great games about .

3 previous seasons we wouldn't have pressed and attacked spurs . Gary O'Neil has done a great job really and I don't think they have really fully backed him . That's my only real gripe that Fosun need to back him in the summer. Or I would be leaving for other clubs that spend on players that you want and have that structure in place .

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the issue as we all know. Get results against the better teams and it builds hope for a potential European challenge only to drop points in the more favourable games. I guess this is why we’re a mid table team
I felt confident today, it was guaranteed we’d get at least one from a fast break on their suicidally high line and press. Defended the box very well.
Next week could be a very different story though.
Just hope Hwang’s clever movement can make something happen, he’s improving still in physical battles too.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are a mid table team, regardless of results against Brentford and Sheffield United.

It can be frustrating but those are the margins between being a mid table team in Europe or a mid table team not in Europe.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the main thing for me is the last few seasons we have been predictable and boring to watch if I am honest .

We attack and get players forward. I don't expect us to win the league or even be top 6 . But for me I am been entertained and that's what this great games about .

3 previous seasons we wouldn't have pressed and attacked spurs . Gary O'Neil has done a great job really and I don't think they have really fully backed him . That's my only real gripe that Fosun need to back him in the summer. Or I would be leaving for other clubs that spend on players that you want and have that structure in place .
Fosun haven’t backed him? They gave him the bloody job. Unles of course you mean they haven’t given him money we don’t have and can’t spend? But that would be silly of you.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think I have little fear of contradiction when I suggest that everyone on here are very pleased that you are relaxed and less pent up.
Perfec.
Well thank you for your kind words GH. I am sure they are heart-felt and sincere and I hope my well being has added to your undoubted joy this momentous Saturday!

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are the epitome of a team. Not the greatest individual players ever to grace the Premier League, but they make up for that with energy, team-spirit and a real hunger to prove to everyone that they can compete with the best. Never know when they are beaten and love to upset the odds. Yes, they make mistakes both attacking and defending, but they make up for these with workrate. A pleasure to watch and with a few additions here and there, could really do something special as Gomes, RAN, Neto, Cunha and Doyle will only get better as they get more Premier League experience.

WolvesinBrum

Groupie
Reaction score
It's odd when giving managers time. Back in the 70s, apart from Clough at Leeds, I can barely remember a first division club sacking a manager after less than a season? Managers were allowed to take their clubs down!

I do remember Big Ron going to Real Sociedad and getting the tin-tack after about 3 months and it was a bit of an education culturally!

I too felt like we might struggle without Cunha but GON just gets whoever plays really ready. Hopefully we won't have the injuries to prove that his lethal counter-atacking works with S. Bueno, H.Bueno and the Doc as the front 3!

There was a debate on 5live Monday Night Club this week on West Ham (ungrateful lot) and Palace fans (story has moved on, best wishes to RH) and if you generally finish 6th to 16th, what is there to play for.

I sent in an email about our season, saying the GON story had added greatly to the feeling of the season. And that playing in a way and with effort that connects with the fans is really important, as is beating your derby rivals.

Are we as Wolves fans less wedded to a style of play as West Ham, Spurs etc.? It's more the effort for us, even possibly cerebral long ball (see C. Dawson!)?

WolvesinBrum

Groupie
Reaction score

There's been a few debates over individual players (Sasa and maybe Fabio - he started a few games early on in the lost 4 out of 5!) but generally Gary has managed this small squad absolutely brilliantly.

Neto-Hwang-Cunha have started 6 games together out of the 25. It's ended up we've got a number of players who can play in that front 3 effectively and that showed today.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun haven’t backed him? They gave him the bloody job. Unles of course you mean they haven’t given him money we don’t have and can’t spend? But that would be silly of you.
Just like the striker he wanted in the last window . Oh wait ....

As he would of kept Fabio or Sasa if he wasn't getting a striker . If not then why wasn't Fraser in the bench ahead of either before the loan . Just pointing out they need to back him.

Rowzed

Reaction score
Looking at the table, with Chelsea and Man U gathering momentum I think it will be the usual suspects at the top, plus Villa. I hope we can crack a European place but it’s a big ask.

But we could finish above Eddie Howe’s Newcastle, and wouldn’t that be sweet?

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think that Gary O’Neil was given a chance by some Wolves fans. It took him time, but gradually he got the players playing his way and thankfully they all signed up to that. He did well at Bournemouth last season, so he wasn’t quite the novice some thought he was.

Dorbelflunk

Reaction score
Nothing? Really?! So all our wins will mean nothing if we lose the occasional game? Did all the Nuno years mean nothing because we struggled to beat the bottom clubs? Utter garbage.
I can only hope he means that it means nothing *if we're trying to push for Europe*.

But surely that's a step too far for even us. Right???

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Fantastic.

And have just surpassed the number of goals scored from each of the last three seasons....

With 13 games to spare.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perfec.
‘Perfect’ is spelt with a ‘t’……then it would be perfect.;)

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

No club with money will want him. I'm not putting him down though, it's because so few will actually have money to spend! Outside of us mid table are mostly worried about FFP and need to cut back, so why move? Top 6, he needs to have won the FA Cup for any of them to be realistic this year. If that happens then I'll be gutted, but he'd be a legend!

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing? Really?! So all our wins will mean nothing if we lose the occasional game? Did all the Nuno years mean nothing because we struggled to beat the bottom clubs? Utter garbage.
Undoing our hard work of today sorry you took it so deep

If we are serious about top half we have to beat the likes of sheff utd at home end of story

Brightonwolf

Reaction score
We are the epitome of a team. Not the greatest individual players ever to grace the Premier League, but they make up for that with energy, team-spirit and a real hunger to prove to everyone that they can compete with the best. Never know when they are beaten and love to upset the odds. Yes, they make mistakes both attacking and defending, but they make up for these with workrate. A pleasure to watch and with a few additions here and there, could really do something special as Gomes, RAN, Neto, Cunha and Doyle will only get better as they get more Premier League experience.
People have said we should try to emulate what Brighton have been doing and I think this season shows that the model can work. You can lose you best player or even several but with a good spirit and talented squad you can out play the big guns and cause upsets. Let’s be honest most pundits and even our fans thought we would struggle this year. Some games we show signs of a disjointed team but games like this and Chelsea show how big a buzzing dressing room and manager who believes in his players can get you.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's so blindingly obvious in retrospect that all GON needed was more time

Who would have thunk it?
That was my view at the time of Ipswich…. you can’t expect things to happen overnight.

This is my big criticism of supporters, so many are part of the instant gratification brigade, nobody has any patience anymore, you press a button and something must happen.

Patience is a virtue as they say!
I’m so glad the Board had it even if lots of supporters would have had him out on his ear!!

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What I love about this team is the bounce back ability. It was something Wolves didn’t have for years. Then they found a bit of it when Nuno was managing.

I don’t think it was this level though. Lose 4-3 to Utd in a heartbreaker, follow it up with, pasting Chelsea at the “bridge”, first time for 45 years. Lose to Brentford, then beat Spurs on their own patch. Does this team know no boundaries?

Another thing that impresses me enormously, is that Gaz only has a small coaching staff in comparison to other teams and our own recent managers.

A lot of credit has to go them because the things we have improved on in such a short space of time, are nothing short of incredible.

Playing out from the back: Not perfect but at least we look a million times better than previous seasons.

Tackling and not being bullied: This has improved dramatically. We’ve gone from, almost guaranteed to lose every 50/50 to winning what seems like 90% of them.

Passing and moving the ball quickly: Again, an enormous turnaround. Our passing used to be so slow and predictable, it was unreal. When we did try and move it quickly it usually ended up 10 yards away from the intended target. Lately some of the first time passing has been sublime. Some brilliant examples today.

Creating chances and finishing: Another dramatic change in an area, which we used to fluff our lines frequently. The final ball is now 100% better and Neto, who did used to be a bit “head down” in that respect, is now picking out players with absolute precision and they are tucking them away. Still room for improvement and it will come.

Nelson Semedo: He has gone from a player who looked like he hadn’t been given any instructions before games, to one of the most accomplished wingbacks in the league.

Toti: Still learning but you can see massive improvement. He’s already a beast of a player and there’s more to come.

RAN: I have noticed how he has become less spectacular/entertaining to watch but much more effective at his role (if that makes sense).

Neto: Might seem a strange one to include but for me, he did have a tendency to take on too much and his decision making wasn’t always the best. Now, he’s running with the ball when he should, releasing it when he should and shooting when he should. His awareness has improved massively.

I think Gaz and his team deserve massive credit for this, it’s not a coincidence. I think he has proven that if the players are with him, he can deliver the goods.

It’s a bit early to get carried away but based on what we’ve seen so far, there is every chance he gets to manage England, one day. For selfish reasons, let’s hope it isn’t in the near future.

Brilliant Gaz. COYW!

Back
Top Bottom