Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Welcome Gary

NJWolves69

Groupie
Reaction score
It’s the unknown. But with everyone writing us off, we are going under the radar, no pressure.

Who knows what happened behind the scenes and how the players feel. Many conflicting stories. They may be gutted JLo has gone and need motivating having essentially being told they aren’t good enough. Or they may have a point to prove.
I'm wondering how much the squad knew about JL leaving after the Celtic game. Even if they weren't aware that a replacement was being lined up, they had to have known that JL was looking for any angle he could to leave. If that's the case, their performance was obviously not impacted against Rennes, and I'd guess they have more of a point to prove.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
written off to relegation could be a blessing for us
I am trying not to put too much pressure on the Utd game.. it’s a tough start. But if we don’t even get a performance at the very least, it could be tough for morale with things like they’ve been.

Best time to play Utd some have said.. based on their last few starts, maybe. Especially if they, as many, underestimate us.

Gotta go out and put our mark on the game, regardless of result.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm wondering how much the squad knew about JL leaving after the Celtic game. Even if they weren't aware that a replacement was being lined up, they had to have known that JL was looking for any angle he could to leave. If that's the case, their performance was obviously not impacted against Rennes, and I'd guess they have more of a point to prove.
Again many conflicting stories and assumptions. Some believe they knew he was going after the game, ie Docs comments. Some say they didn’t know.

But if as you say they knew, then yes by all accounts it didn’t affect it, in fact seemed to improve!!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It felt like he wants to use that “Nuno” approach of quick counters and at real pace.

If he is looking to do that, I have no issues at all!!!

Slick and quick counter attacking football can be so beautiful to watch in full flight. So this could be exciting.

But I will temper my expectations

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It felt like he wants to use that “Nuno” approach of quick counters and at real pace.

Slick and quick counter attacking football can be so beautiful to watch in full flight. So this could be exciting.

Intensity in attack and intensity in the press (when pressing) sounds good to me. Would be playing to our strengths..

I am slightly concerned about our ability to sit-back and soak up pressure though.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
written off to relegation could be a blessing for us
I'm completely the opposite. Whilst the League 1 relegation turned out to be the best thing for us in the long run, my worry is that if a couple of big teams don't get promoted this season e.g. Leicester or Southampton, then it'll be incredibly difficult to get out of that league again.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I'm completely the opposite. Whilst the League 1 relegation turned out to be the best thing for us in the long run, my worry is that if a couple of big teams don't get promoted this season e.g. Leicester or Southampton, then it'll be incredibly difficult to get out of that league again.
I think he’s missed a comma I read it wrong the first time
meaning being written off to relegation will be a good thing. Ie take the expectations away and go under the radar

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That would be great had we not just spent two seasons transitioning the squad away from that style.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've been off the grid since Sunday so I've only just found out about all these goings on. And they says a week is a long time in politics. Turns out football is similar.

Good luck to O'Neil. Hopefully he will be a success.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seemed to speak well today, quite enjoyed watching it.

99% certain we're going down but time to get behind him. Good luck Gary, you'll certainly have the backing of the fans inside the grounds home and away as we kick off the season.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are so broke we cannot bring in players on a free transfer. We don’t have a single player who can score a goal and can’t do anything about that. We would all like more but if we stay up for the next couple of years I’ll be delighted.
If we can’t score a goal, we won’t stay up.

You’re going to be sorely disappointed if you think we will.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I liked this.
He seems just a decent, honest , down to earth bloke. Answered the questions without pausing or guile.
Seems like a great bloke and I really hope he succeeds he’ll have my 100% support.

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I've been off the grid since Sunday so I've only just found out about all these goings on. And they says a week is a long time in politics. Turns out football is similar.

Good luck to O'Neil. Hopefully he will be a success.
You haven't missed much

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Intensity in attack and intensity in the press (when pressing) sounds good to me. Would be playing to our strengths..

I am slightly concerned about our ability to sit-back and soak up pressure though.
Sitting back and soaking up the pressure inevitably leads to disaster for us.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am trying not to put too much pressure on the Utd game.. it’s a tough start. But if we don’t even get a performance at the very least, it could be tough for morale with things like they’ve been.

Best time to play Utd some have said.. based on their last few starts, maybe. Especially if they, as many, underestimate us.

Gotta go out and put our mark on the game, regardless of result.

Exactly. The first matches of a new season are always more about performance than results. Unless you are one of the few at the top challenging for titles, of course. I will be looking at the all round performance and not caring about the result. Nobody ever got relegated losing their first (or second, or third ...) match. At Old Trafford.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sitting back and soaking up the pressure inevitably leads to disaster for us.

Apart from finishing 7th twice! It's throwing too many forward that leads to 5-0 and 6-0 defeats. And our total inability to score goals, of course.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought his body language was awful in the presser. Walked in carrying a coffee with some bloke with hands in pockets and GON then handed (threw) his phone to the bloke. Leaned forwards, all hunched up and began every answer with 'yes'.
Can't remember Nuno's or Loppy's first press conference, but would have expected them to have more of a presence in front of the jackals. Still, Judah and Keen thought it went well and he was 'down to earth', so that's alright!

Of course, it's what GON's team do on the pitch that matters and he's only been at Wolves a couple of days so let's see where we are by Monday night.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought his body language was awful in the presser. Walked in carrying a coffee with some bloke with hands in pockets and GON then handed (threw) his phone to the bloke. Leaned forwards, all hunched up and began every answer with 'yes'.
Can't remember Nuno's or Loppy's first press conference, but would have expected them to have more of a presence in front of the jackals. Still, Judah and Keen thought it went well and he was 'down to earth', so that's alright!

Of course, it's what GON's team do on the pitch that matters and he's only been at Wolves a couple of days so let's see where we are by Monday night.
Why are you making stuff up? GON put his hand in his pocket to get his phone out, passed it to his assistant saying it's on silent and to look after it

Thought his demeanour was no different to virtually every manager and he spoke well

But agreed on the coffee. Absolute ****ing disgrace bringing a drink into a lengthy press conference. Yam at a big club now Gary

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Looked a lot more engaged & confident on the training ground.

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
yeah training looked to have a lot of intensity especially with the mention of races.
I feel we're really going to be a counter attacking team even though Gary said he doesn't want to be just that.
His first session was all about moving up the pitch quickly.

I think thats all well and good but would be a shame to not do the pressing also, lets hope with a better group of players it all seems to click.

As long as the players are up for the challenge then lets get behind Gary the best we can.

T

TheConcourse

So he hasn’t even had a chat with Jeff yet.. that’s reassuring.

Guess Hobbs is running the football club now.

“As it stands at the moment, everyone is available, everyone is ready to work and they’re working hard as a group.

“I haven’t met the chairman yet or even spoken to him.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

“As it stands at the moment, everyone is available, everyone is ready to work and they’re working hard as a group.

That really is quite odd..

Rufio

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
After watching the training session I’m actually quite optimistic. It looked like the players enjoyed the hands on engaging approach of Gary and his team.

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Not necessarily the worst thing. He's in China and it's about time he deferred footballing decisions to a football man.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Personally, I think that is a bit harsh

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Why are you making stuff up? GON put his hand in his pocket to get his phone out, passed it to his assistant saying it's on silent and to look after it

Thought his demeanour was no different to virtually every manager and he spoke well

But agreed on the coffee. Absolute ****ing disgrace bringing a drink into a lengthy press conference. Yam at a big club now Gary
People seeing what they wanted to see.

I was very sceptical of GO’N but listening/reading his interview and watching the training session, I’m quietly impressed.

But sure, he was drinking coffee in a press conference, GO’N out!

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After watching the training session I’m actually quite optimistic. It looked like the players enjoyed the hands on engaging approach of Gary and his team.
Ditto
I feel we can get something at United now....I feared another 6 0 a week ago

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
People seeing what they wanted to see.

I was very sceptical of GO’N but listening/reading his interview and watching the training session, I’m quietly impressed.

But sure, he was drinking coffee in a press conference, GO’N out!
I think he'll make a good go of it. Still got reservations over how he gets bigger name players onside but not impossible to do. Reckon we'll see a decent performance against United. He also has the benefit of a great plan B in Sasa and set piece delivery from Sarabia.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I believe the some bloke with his hands in his pockets is Max Fitzgerald our head of PR who always sits in the press conferences to over see it (JLo take note not when you want to do your own interview behind the clubs back!) and handing over of the phone is probably to make sure it’s on silent.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Johnny Phillips said the other night that O'Neil isn't great in front of the cameras, a bit awkward if you will. Wouldn't read too much into his body language at a press conference if that's the case

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm neutral on his first press conference other than the extremely off-putting heavy breathing. Don't think he spoke especially badly or well. Not going to judge him on his body language although he did look a bit awkward.

Training - well, these heavily edited excerpts are always going to make things look positive and the storyboard is going to have a particular agenda so don't read too much into that. Just the same as Julen slapping players backs in every video, the media team are serving up what they want you to see. In this case it was O'Neil putting the cones out (i.e. he's more hands on) and the players having more shots (Julen was too negative). The reality is O'Neil has to put the cones out because he doesn't have any staff to do it for him.

Back
Top Bottom