Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

We won't do an Albion

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why bring this up again? Can't we all pull in the same direction and let the board redeem themselves and learn from any mistakes? Yes they have said things in the press only for it to bite them on the ass a couple of years later.

We spent more than most teams yet they stayed up with ease so maybe moxey was wrong in the first place regarding Albion and maybe they have learnt its what you buy not how much you spend.

We keep beating Moxey with the South bank issue when he rolled over when the WMP demanded it yet a couple of months later for the play off game the sly $$$$$$$ had the alley closed behind the stand so that we didn't have to give up the south bank again. Lesson learnt there yet u don't hear that ever being dragged up in his defence.

Quit living in the past pal.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That article is from 2009. I suggest that the board may have noticed they got it wrong, though we did (just) get 3 successive seasons in the top flight, which Albion will only achieve this time next year.
Its also not just a matter of money spent (and I suspect we have spent more than them since end of 2009 season) but how it's spent. Plus Qlbion were lucky getting Hodgson. Di Matteo was on course to get them relegated again.

D

Dewsburywolf

Bearing in mind our current position division wise I'd love us to "do an Albion"

ginboomerang

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why bring this up again? Can't we all pull in the same direction and let the board redeem themselves and learn from any mistakes? Yes they have said things in the press only for it to bite them on the ass a couple of years later.

We spent more than most teams yet they stayed up with ease so maybe moxey was wrong in the first place regarding Albion and maybe they have learnt its what you buy not how much you spend.

We keep beating Moxey with the South bank issue when he rolled over when the WMP demanded it yet a couple of months later for the play off game the sly $$$$$$$ had the alley closed behind the stand so that we didn't have to give up the south bank again. Lesson learnt there yet u don't hear that ever being dragged up in his defence.

Quit living in the past pal.

If I thought he'd learn from his mistakes, then I think I'd agree with the sentiment of your post. The South Bank issue is non related to 2 failures at the Premier League.

I'd be happy for you to list his 'lessons learned' to put me in my place.

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I thought he'd learn from his mistakes, then I think I'd agree with the sentiment of your post. The South Bank issue is non related to 2 failures at the Premier League.

I'd be happy for you to list his 'lessons learned' to put me in my place.

Moxey has a job to do and the owner seems happy with him. IMO he seems out of touch with the fans but maybe that's not part of his job in the owners eyes.

Let's see if Morgan has learnt his lesson and it will be down to him and him alone if we are to be a success on the pitch not Moxey.

How do we know Moxey didn't ask for more money but Morgan said no?

Gornal

Reaction score
That article is from 2009. I suggest that the board may have noticed they got it wrong, though we did (just) get 3 successive seasons in the top flight, which Albion will only achieve this time next year.
Its also not just a matter of money spent (and I suspect we have spent more than them since end of 2009 season) but how it's spent. Plus Qlbion were lucky getting Hodgson. Di Matteo was on course to get them relegated again.

They weren't lucky with Hodgson, they were decisive. Hodgson became available so they went out and got him & sacked Di Matteo. If i remember correctly they were above Wolves in the table at the time so i would question why Morgan & Moxey didn't act in a similar fashion and get him for Wolves instead. Luck doesn't come into it. They were on the ball and saw the possibility. The rest is history unfortunately and now they are where they are and we are where we are.

O.W.E.I

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
http://www.expressandstar.com/latest/2009/03/19/we-wont-do-an-albion-moxey/

I think the new broom missed a corner of Molineux....again.

To counter the pro Moxeys here, when looking at the balance sheet remember to factor in the 'lost earnings' from 2 relegations and the loss and impending loss of our best players.

You also need to factor in the lost fans and the missing generations of new fans that the club has failed to attract with the ridiculous pricing structures.

Why bring this up again? Can't we all pull in the same direction and let the board redeem themselves and learn from any mistakes?

We keep beating Moxey with the South bank issue when he rolled over when the WMP demanded it yet a couple of months later for the play off game the sly $$$$$$$ had the alley closed behind the stand so that we didn't have to give up the south bank again.

Was that not on the advice of WMP, who had their metal screens up separating the two sets of fans?

Moxey has a job to do and the owner seems happy with him. IMO he seems out of touch with the fans but maybe that's not part of his job in the owners eyes.

Correct, he is so out of touch it's is astonishing.
Unfortunately, out of touch 'leaders' is something we do very well in this country.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They weren't lucky with Hodgson, they were decisive. Hodgson became available so they went out and got him & sacked Di Matteo. If i remember correctly they were above Wolves in the table at the time so i would question why Morgan & Moxey didn't act in a similar fashion and get him for Wolves instead. Luck doesn't come into it. They were on the ball and saw the possibility. The rest is history unfortunately and now they are where they are and we are where we are.

Bang on son and on a much lesser budget than Mick spunked up the wall.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You say they weren't lucky but they consistently (at premiership level) got it wrong until Hodgson. So if you think JP eventually got his act together doesn't the same generosity of spirit apply to our board, thus giving them a couple more managerial appointments to get it right? Or could it be that as a more cynical person than I might suspect this whole thread dragging up comments from 2009 is just to have a moan about Wolves.
I'm sure the board know they have got things wrong since then and if they don't they are idiots. Not everthing the club do is wrong and not everything Albion do is great. They are above us now in the league and, in fairness that generally is the way it has been for a good few years. Doesn't mean that it might not change next year or the year after.
In my opinion the board should have sacked Mick after that Blackburn game and that is the main error.

R

reanswolf

I didnt bring this up yet again, but i do think moxey is getting off very lightly.

This article with direct quotes, shows that in 2009 he was aware of the very close correlation between wages and league position. Despite this we were one of the lowest wage paying clubs in the division last season - and we were relegated!! Despite posting a £20m profit. His financial strategy has cost us dearly.

Its indefensable. It saddens me to see how people cannot recognise the effect of his input.

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No one can argue that Mr Moxey runs a tight ship.
Unfortunately it is titanic-esque in many ways.

ginboomerang

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I regurgitated it. I hate his patronising bull$$$$, and as it stands right now in footballing terms we're in the same position as we was in 2000 when he arrived.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
I didnt bring this up yet again, but i do think moxey is getting off very lightly.

This article with direct quotes, shows that in 2009 he was aware of the very close correlation between wages and league position. Despite this we were one of the lowest wage paying clubs in the division last season - and we were relegated!! Despite posting a £20m profit. His financial strategy has cost us dearly.

Its indefensable. It saddens me to see how people cannot recognise the effect of his input.
Damn good post.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Circa £40 million in transfer fees over three seasons. No, you're right, we spent nowhere near enough

Japan Wulf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Can't one of the mods merge this with another Moxey thread. There is nothing new here, it takes up space and is just plain boring.

R

reanswolf

Circa £40 million in transfer fees over three seasons. No, you're right, we spent nowhere near enough

As moxey even acknowledges, its wage correlation that is critical. not transfer fees. Thats why we are now a championship club.

ginboomerang

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As moxey even acknowledges, its wage correlation that is critical. not transfer fees. Thats why we are now a championship club.

It's exactly what I read in that 2009 article, hence my further annoyance and contempt for anything Moxey and what comes out of his mouth, lip service and bull$$$$.

bigbluewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moxey bashing

Jezbattering.jpg

R

reanswolf

It's exactly what I read in that 2009 article, hence my further annoyance and contempt for anything Moxey and what comes out of his mouth, lip service and bull$$$$.

Couldnt agree more mate. In light of Wolves fans "supposed" intolerance, I am surprised how he gets off so lightly.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Will you be saying that when he sells Matt Jarvis and Steven Fletcher for £10 million a peice? Which is about £5 million more than they're actually worth.

This is how a football club works. The Board set the budget. The manager spends the budget. The ceo ensures that the club doesn't go over budget. Now, MM was the one that signed the likes of Surman, Halford, Castillo, Bia, Meirhoffer etc. It was MM who decided to spread around £60,000 p/w of the wage budget around 4 or 5 players. Not Moxey. That is why we got relegated.

R

reanswolf

Will you be saying that when he sells Matt Jarvis and Steven Fletcher for £10 million a peice? Which is about £5 million more than they're actually worth.

This is how a football club works. The Board set the budget. The manager spends the budget. The ceo ensures that the club doesn't go over budget. Now, MM was the one that signed the likes of Surman, Halford, Castillo, Bia, Meirhoffer etc. It was MM who decided to spread around £60,000 p/w of the wage budget around 4 or 5 players. Not Moxey. That is why we got relegated.

MM certainly is largely responsible for the relegation, but you said the "board sets the budget". Presumably moxey has a significant role in devising the financial strategy/budget, as he himself acknowledges, knowing the close correlation between wages paid and league position. As you say "The CEO ensures we do not go over budget".

Well we didnt go over budget & i believe we made a quite significant profit, whilst paying one of the lowest wages in the prem.

Armed with the knowledge he had, how can you defend his financial strategy, when it has proven to be critical?

Japan Wulf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Trouble with this Moxey thread - and all the others - is that everyone is guessing as to Moxey's remit. And let's be honest, they are just guesses and not even educated ones at that. I reserve judgement on Moxey until such a time as the owner or the board disclose EXACTLY how much of the decision making is done solely by Moxey. This is not to be confused with the implementation of the decision making, a confusion of which several posters seem to be prone.

R

reanswolf

Trouble with this Moxey thread - and all the others - is that everyone is guessing as to Moxey's remit. And let's be honest, they are just guesses and not even educated ones at that. I reserve judgement on Moxey until such a time as the owner or the board disclose EXACTLY how much of the decision making is done solely by Moxey. This is not to be confused with the implementation of the decision making, a confusion of which several posters seem to be prone.

Very true, of course fans forums are just that - discussion about club affairs.

I would expect a man who is paid £1m a year to be the chief advisor on financial matters, wouldnt you?

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score

Very true, of course fans forums are just that - discussion about club affairs.

I would expect a man who is paid £1m a year to be the chief advisor on financial matters, wouldnt you?

I would assume that it would be a considered plan/policy involving owner and CEO.....how can it be anything else?

The first words when Morgan took over to him from Moxey will have been: 'what's it all going to be about then Steve....

Followed by advice based on the experiences under SJH and how it can all go wrong.....the plan(s) will have been formulated from then on and reviewed periodically depending on our 'state.'

The Moxter sounding bullish once more - http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport...06/jez-moxey-wolves-will-rise-from-the-ashes/

R

reanswolf

I would assume that it would be a considered plan/policy involving owner and CEO.....how can it be anything else?

The first words when Morgan took over to him from Moxey will have been: 'what's it all going to be about then Steve....

Followed by advice based on the experiences under SJH and how it can all go wrong.....the plan(s) will have been formulated from then on and reviewed periodically depending on our 'state.'

The Moxter sounding bullish once more - http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport...06/jez-moxey-wolves-will-rise-from-the-ashes/

Jeez everytime he speaks he totally ***** me off.

He simply is clueless. How can he compare the situation at our club with the managerial situation a critical time of the season and the TC appointment, with WBA, Liverpool, Villa appointments at the end of a season.

Entirely different, but as usual he likes to shift blame to the Wolves fans for the mess.

B

BlackBully

It's never Jez's fault! Ever! Even if he did fail to learn from his mistakes (times a million), for the salary he gets he can never be at fault!

Seriously though, keeping him at the helm without bringing in a DoF to stop the fool from making any more diabolical footballing decisions will only result in the same mistakes being repeated ad infinitum. Repeating the same things and expecting different results is the definition of madness, right?

D

Dewsburywolf

Seriously though, keeping him at the helm without bringing in a DoF to stop the fool from making any more diabolical footballing decisions will only result in the same mistakes being repeated ad infinitum. Repeating the same things and expecting different results is the definition of madness, right?

Hopefully he'll go up on the roof

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moxey was wrong about other clubs not getting criticism for the length of time they have taken to appoint a new manager as Liverpool came under alot of criticism by the media. But the media did go OTT at the time like when he were branded as `dirty` for a while after the Newcastle/Fulham games.

The worst bit of Moxeyism i heard last season was his feeble excuse to try and wiggle out of the job is not for an amateur quote after appointing TC which was just embarrassing.

Japan Wulf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Seriously though, keeping him at the helm without bringing in a DoF to stop the fool from making any more diabolical footballing decisions......

I'm not sure what diabolical footballng decisions you are referring to but that is besides the point. The real point is, what makes you believe that our new manager will be prepared to work under a DoF? He might very well not.

O.W.E.I

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everytime I read his utterings, it just comes across as 1984-ish double speak, poor attempts at re-writing history and trying to airbrush out the blatant failures by deflecting the blame.

Even worse is, the one thing that comes across clearer than anything else - he really does think we believe everything he says.

Jez - I really don't need to check a dictionary to see if the word gullible is listed.

He needs to get some basic grounding in PR.

Maybe we should play Tom Hark at the end of everyone of his sentences?

R

reanswolf

I just cannot believe he has the cheek in a recent statement to infer the fans are to blame.

What a git!

J

JR's Boots

Along with Connor, to us fans the retention of Moxey by Morgan is baffling.

He insults the club's customer base, undermines the long term support, maintains a contract with Burda producing tat in the club's name and was hugely instrumental in the total shambles of last season resulting in relegation and the loss of £30M revenue.

I can only hope he is kept in his job to maintain stability in the short term and will be swept away along with Connor when Morgan instigates the long term changes Wolves need.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Presumably moxey has a significant role in devising the financial strategy/budget, as he himself acknowledges, knowing the close correlation between wages paid and league position. As you say "The CEO ensures we do not go over budget".

Moxey still only has one vote on the board, like the other board members.

Well we didnt go over budget & i believe we made a quite significant profit, whilst paying one of the lowest wages in the prem.

Armed with the knowledge he had, how can you defend his financial strategy, when it has proven to be critical?

Because football is a long term thing. We're in a better position now than we were when we got promoted. More money in the bank, bigger stadium, better squad, better training facilites, better youth acadamey and we've still managed to make money doing it.

R

reanswolf

Moxey still only has one vote on the board, like the other board members.

Because football is a long term thing. We're in a better position now than we were when we got promoted. More money in the bank, bigger stadium, better squad, better training facilites, better youth acadamey and we've still managed to make money doing it.

So by this "Moxeyism" appraisal - being in the Championship is better than being in the Premiership, having a bigger stadium with even less fans in it is good, better squad (give it a month mate), but the biggie - YES WE'VE GOT MONEY IN THE BANK !!

Seriously tho, I am not knocking some of what we do -indeed the academy and training facilities are to be applauded, but quite how you turn the other negatives (relegation & associated loss of revenue), & self-inflicted diminishing fanbase v increased capacity, into a positive is an interesting concept.

Of course I appreciate long term thinking, & I appreciate "sensible" financial approach, but conversely Moxey's thinking is only about short-term profit & inadvertantly offending the customers.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So by this "Moxeyism" appraisal - being in the Championship is better than being in the Premiership, having a bigger stadium with even less fans in it is good, better squad (give it a month mate), but the biggie - YES WE'VE GOT MONEY IN THE BANK !!

Seriously tho, I am not knocking some of what we do -indeed the academy and training facilities are to be applauded, but quite how you turn the other negatives (relegation & associated loss of revenue), & self-inflicted diminishing fanbase v increased capacity, into a positive is an interesting concept.

Of course I appreciate long term thinking, & I appreciate "sensible" financial approach, but conversely Moxey's thinking is only about short-term profit & inadvertantly offending the customers.

I'd rather have spent the last three years in the Premiership than in the Championship.

Only a moron would have thought that last season would be an easy ride to consolidation. We were talking about a team that with three minutes to go in the the 10-11 season were relegated only adding two players to their playing squad.

Now from what we read in the Express and Star, which tallies with what I've heard from the folk I know who work at Molineux after signing Roger Johnson Mick had £5 million to play with. He didn't spend it. That's not Moxey's fault. That's Mick's fault. Just like it's Mick's fault he then only spent £400,000 of it on Eggy, as well as signing a mercenary from Spurs and an erractic 19 year old from Arsenal. It strikes me that Mick had been given the money to spend to establish us in the top flight (something he was denied at Sunderland) and he failed.

I honestly don't know what you expect Moxey to do. I mean would you go and buy a house, or a car, or a holiday you couldn't afford just to please your missus for example? Or would you tell her that you can't afford it and to tone down her expectations?

I'd rather in the Championship with the best squad we've had for years, the most money we've had for years and the biggest stadium we've had for years, than spend money we don't have vis-á-vis Leeds and Portsmouth and wind up in League One. That's just personal prefrence.

Yes being relegated is feels like a kick in the nads but in all the seasons I've been watching Wolves (next season will be my 24th) We've spent a whopping total of four of them in the top flight. Four. We're not that high and mighty that the Championship is below us. If, in order to establish ourselves in the top flight, we need to yo-yo between the Premier League and the Championshp for the next four or five years then so be it.

R

reanswolf

In reality, I am sure we actually agree on most things here WV10.

I am not saying MM is blameless, but I have also been told he would despair at the penny pinching on wages, in relation to players who Wolves went in for but lost out on.

I accept a lot of what you say in your post, but I think you are missing the key issue - wages. You can give any manager £100m to spend, but ultimately class will not be attracted if we pay lower wages than our competitors..........we may have agreed transfer fees with clubs but been unable to negotiate personal terms. That is Moxeys financial strategy - he acknowledged the correlation between league position and wages, yet allowed us to be one of the lowest wage payers. Is that not financial strategy? To me its fundamental - this may well have affected our prosperity massively, as did the appointment of TC.

What more could a CE have done? I can't believe anyone is asking this question seriously.

Back
Top Bottom