Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

We must keep Moutinho!

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes yes I’m a complete Moutinho fanboy, but the man is sheer class, a true professional and obsessive winner.
He’s a legend in Portugal and an example to all of our young Portuguese players.
We must keep him at the club as both a player and coach!

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I
Does anybody honestly think we shouldn't given we have no bloody midfielders
It’s a good point. But even if we do sign Sanches I think what Moutinho brings to the club even as a coach is invaluable.
I hope he’s manager one day. Defending Bruno’s 4 European Cups.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In agreement. I wasnt sure about Moutinho at the start of this season as he was poor last season and it looked to me like his legs had gone but he has got better and better this season and he has shut me up! New two year deal and lets get in an attack minded central midfield player to supplement the other central midfield players we have.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8455jwf

On extremely reduced terms (60% reduction) he's had a lot of excellent games this year with some poor ones.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reckon he's shut a few doubters up, would love to see him offered a player/coach role. His professionalism is up there with the likes of Ronaldo.

Last edited:

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would be good if he could be integrated onto the coaching staff as well. From what I read he seems to be happy in Wolverhampton.

George AlooGobi

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
On extremely reduced terms (60% reduction) he's had a lot of excellent games this year with some poor ones.

That'd be pretty insulting to offer him a huge pay cut

It might have been a Jonny Phillips article which mentioned one of his kids prefers living here to Monaco as there was more stuff to do. If his family enjoy life here he might be prepared to stay longer

I'm really surprised how many games we've got out of him given his age and moving to a more physically demanding league. I'd love to see him here for another year or two. Even if he couldn't manage as many games he has a lot of knowledge to pass on to any central midfielder at the club

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

That'd be pretty insulting to offer him a huge pay cut

It might have been a Jonny Phillips article which mentioned one of his kids prefers living here to Monaco as there was more stuff to do. If his family enjoy life here he might be prepared to stay longer

I'm really surprised how many games we've got out of him given his age and moving to a more physically demanding league. I'd love to see him here for another year or two. Even if he couldn't manage as many games he has a lot of knowledge to pass on to any central midfielder at the club
He isn't worth £5M a year still, performing well but also was poor earlier in year.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
It mystifies me how anyone can think he is ever poor. Yes sometimes when we're overrun in midfield he is chasing shadows, yes he has no real pace (did he ever?), but his ability to read the game and calmly ensure that when we gain possession, we retain it by picking out players in space is phenomenal. Coaching role with us would be brilliant if he wants it. Yes we probably should offer him a bit less, but he has already given us more than anyone could have asked for.

quirky_birky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Love the guy. Seems like a nice bloke, professional, and certainly doesn't like losing, as well as being a class act on the pitch. Also, consider what effect having Portugal's second highest ever capped player in our squad has on the other Portuguese players at Wolves, as well as those linked with Wolves.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did that stick in the craw kidda?

I agree though, he's been anonymous in some games but he's still got something good to offer. We need a different kind of midfielder if we're to push on but...

What a signing he's proved to be.

Netherton Wolf

Reaction score
As I said on the other Mouts thread, him and Neves are both family men, they have very happy home lives, Mouts said he wanted stable schooling for his daughters, not sure exactly how old they are, but would love him to stay for many yearz either on or off the pitch

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Did that stick in the craw kidda?

I agree though, he's been anonymous in some games but he's still got something good to offer. We need a different kind of midfielder if we're to push on but...

What a signing he's proved to be.
No? If he keeps up this level of performance he should get a deal like a guy who will play every other game. Still overpaid and at his same deal he'd limit us bringing in other players but a cheaper deal could be good

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The best player I’ve seen down the Molineux since my first visit in the early ‘80’s. It was a master stroke getting him in to partner and nurture Neves for the Premier league. Yes he’s getting on but he takes care of himself and is a model pro with a fierce determination to win. Of course he and Neves will be found wanting at times up against some of the world’s best players but on the whole what a signing and what a player. Even now my son and I have a joke between us when we say “we've got Moutinho” like we still can’t believe it.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He will be offered a contract. Just depends whether he will take it. It won't be massive and nor should it be at this stage.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No? If he keeps up this level of performance he should get a deal like a guy who will play every other game. Still overpaid and at his same deal he'd limit us bringing in other players but a cheaper deal could be good
I was yanking your chain a bit given your oft stated opinion of Moutinho. Agree with what you say there.

What we need is the kind of player the Fosun-Shi-Menses model doesn't allow for... your (probably established) energetic, proven, dynamic midfielder who's price will probably devalue but who's value to the club won't for 2 or 3 seasons. Unfortunately, at a time where we could push on, we'll probably end up saddled with more Trincaos.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Maybe he's still developing . Seems to me he is becoming more attacking over the past five games or so. Theres life in the old dog yet and he commendably shows his desire to improve even at his age. What a great example for the younger players.

Wolfyyy

Reaction score
Moutinho has always been class and his consistency looks like he can go for at least another 2-3 years. I do think though, we're at a window whereby we have the best opportunity to build towards a longer term future in Donny VDB and Renato Sanches hanging on the line for what both seems to be reasonably good market deal at the moment. If either of those comes in, it's going to be a tussle for playing minutes, especially the younger lads will want to have regular first team exposure. Most ideally, Moutinho will be contented with gradually phasing out in terms of minutes to play and take on a more mentoring role for the team.

D

Deleted member yltz11841

Why do posters have to put-up with direct attacks like this one? Everyone has an opinion which is as valid as the next and is necessary for a forum to function, yet we get insults and foul language aimed at fellow fans!

Admin, is this kind of post acceptable?
Think of it like VAR, it depends who is looking and who it’s against.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Overpaid by what standard? All footballers are overpaid compared to eg. Nurses. But they generate revenue because no one pays to watch a nurse mop a sick persons brow sadly.

Overpaid by comparison to other elite senior international midfielders in the top half of the premier league? Hmm I doubt it somehow.

How much is it worth just having him at the club to influence younger players? In the dressing room? Attracting other players to take Wolves seriously as a club? Attracting sponsors etc etc.

Your obvious issue with his pay seems a bit disproportionate and odd frankly.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Overpaid by what standard? All footballers are overpaid compared to eg. Nurses. But they generate revenue because no one pays to watch a nurse mop a sick persons brow sadly.

Overpaid by comparison to other elite senior international midfielders in the top half of the premier league? Hmm I doubt it somehow.

How much is it worth just having him at the club to influence younger players? In the dressing room? Attracting other players to take Wolves seriously as a club? Attracting sponsors etc etc.

Your obvious issue with his pay seems a bit disproportionate and odd frankly.
If he gets a contract and doesn't inhibit us bringing another CM in because of his wages then Jeff can give him a billion quid a week for all I care.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a note and from Gareth Crook's TOTW column: "Moutinho has scored more than once in a single top-flight league campaign for the first time since 2016-17 with Monaco (2)..."

The dream should be for Mouts to finish his career here and hopefully become part of the coaching setup. If Stevie G, Rooney, and Lampard can all do decently as a gaffer, so could Joao!

It looks like he has been revitalised under Bruno, and the experience is showing in spades this campaign, not least with two glorious goals.

Back
Top Bottom