Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Watfords thoughts about Sundays match

cookey

In Memory
Reaction score
Gracia: “We Know We Can Beat Them Again”

Javi Gracia stays humble in this item on the Watford FC website - NOT!

By Kevin Affleck

There are plenty of seminal moments in the season.

There was Troy Deeney knocking over Davinson Sánchez against Spurs; José Holebas out-sprinting Richarlison after giving the Brazilian a head start, and then Gerard Deulofeu racing back to catch up James McArthur in the FA Cup quarter-final and defending like a tough-tackling full-back.

But, on a team front, the win at Wolves in October put a real marker down. It provided the perfect response to the going-over the team got at home to Bournemouth, showed the win at Burnley was no flash in the pan, and came against a side who had won four Premier League games on the spin. It was a real statement.

“It was a very important game for us, playing away and the way we did it,” said Gracia. “We dominated the game, with control of possession. We scored on counter-attacks but we dominated possession. It was a very good moment. We were getting good results away and this gave us confidence to keep going and to have the confidence in the way we were playing and the way we were working.”

The result knocked the stuffing out of Wolves. They lost five of the next six and Nuno Espirito Santo has since changed things up, bolstering his midfield by bringing in Leander Dendoncker, partnering him with Rúben Neves at the base of the midfield and playing João Moutinho further forward.

“Then they were playing with other players and even in another shape,” said Gracia. “They have changed some things in the team, but we did it one time and we can do it again. We know we can beat anyone, and we can lose to anyone. Both teams are playing well, getting points and we are both enjoying a good season. I think it’s a good moment for both teams. We both have good squads, are good teams, and I think it will be a good game. It’s a moment to show what we are able to do. We have to be ready to give 100 per cent.”

Gracia will be leaving no stone unturned in his preparation. When in charge of Ruben Kazan, he lost to Ural Yekaterinburg in the semi-final of the Russian Cup in April 2017 and he does not want to experience that sinking feeling again.

“It’s worse to lose a quarter-final and in rounds before that,” he said. “We have the chance to go to a final at Wembley with our supporters and it is many years since we did it. We have to enjoy it. The end is not important. What is important is to enjoy the semi-final as you never know when you are going to play another one. It will be my best achievement if we reach the final.”

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Javi Gracia stays humble in this item on the Watford FC website - NOT!

By Kevin Affleck

There are plenty of seminal moments in the season.

There was Troy Deeney knocking over Davinson Sánchez against Spurs; José Holebas out-sprinting Richarlison after giving the Brazilian a head start, and then Gerard Deulofeu racing back to catch up James McArthur in the FA Cup quarter-final and defending like a tough-tackling full-back.

But, on a team front, the win at Wolves in October put a real marker down. It provided the perfect response to the going-over the team got at home to Bournemouth, showed the win at Burnley was no flash in the pan, and came against a side who had won four Premier League games on the spin. It was a real statement.

“It was a very important game for us, playing away and the way we did it,” said Gracia. “We dominated the game, with control of possession. We scored on counter-attacks but we dominated possession. It was a very good moment. We were getting good results away and this gave us confidence to keep going and to have the confidence in the way we were playing and the way we were working.”

The result knocked the stuffing out of Wolves. They lost five of the next six and Nuno Espirito Santo has since changed things up, bolstering his midfield by bringing in Leander Dendoncker, partnering him with Rúben Neves at the base of the midfield and playing João Moutinho further forward.

“Then they were playing with other players and even in another shape,” said Gracia. “They have changed some things in the team, but we did it one time and we can do it again. We know we can beat anyone, and we can lose to anyone. Both teams are playing well, getting points and we are both enjoying a good season. I think it’s a good moment for both teams. We both have good squads, are good teams, and I think it will be a good game. It’s a moment to show what we are able to do. We have to be ready to give 100 per cent.”

Gracia will be leaving no stone unturned in his preparation. When in charge of Ruben Kazan, he lost to Ural Yekaterinburg in the semi-final of the Russian Cup in April 2017 and he does not want to experience that sinking feeling again.

“It’s worse to lose a quarter-final and in rounds before that,” he said. “We have the chance to go to a final at Wembley with our supporters and it is many years since we did it. We have to enjoy it. The end is not important. What is important is to enjoy the semi-final as you never know when you are going to play another one. It will be my best achievement if we reach the final.”
Let him flap his trap... hopefully Nuno will have the last word/laugh...

W

we8wba

Wolves have made the adjustments to when watford last played us

Hopefully that’ll be enough to change scoreline

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have experienced players in our squad who will handle Watford and who is better than Nuno to get them in the correct mind frame to see off Watford.

D

Deleted member 3751

I'm still working out what he classes as a counter attack.

The second goal in that game coming straight after the first completely killed us, we were like a confident boxer that had suddenly been knocked down a couple of times and gone into safety survival mode.

Watford will be very tough, but we're a different beast to that game at Molineux. A tweaked formation and a forward partnership that is as good together as anything in the country

We're ready

S

ShropshireLad

I've seen on NewsNow how confident their fans are. Let them be. Let's keep our powder dry until the match and then with us in full voice we'll see what happens. I think the atmosphere will be terrific as long as we don't concede early.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
He’s a good manager tbf. Much better than people like Hughton Warnock Dyche and that.

C

Chardee MacDennis

I've seen on NewsNow how confident their fans are. Let them be. Let's keep our powder dry until the match and then with us in full voice we'll see what happens. I think the atmosphere will be terrific as long as we don't concede early.

Meh, we conceded early last time we were at Wembley and that turned out ok.

Blast tyrant

Reaction score
Good interview. Can’t see anything wrong in what he says.
They were better than us on the day and deserved to win.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've no problem with his over confidence. Deserved their win at our place.
will be nice to surprise them with how much we've improved

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They thouroughly deserved there win against us, I still believe we are a little suspect against teams that run at us from midway in our half, we have to nullify that Delofeu bloke he is very much a confidence player, and when he scored against us you could see him grow another 10 feet tall, then there are their 2 big midfielders I think one was number 16 both of them had good games against us, however this is another game, another day may the best team win..

Dudleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm still working out what he classes as a counter attack.

The second goal in that game coming straight after the first completely killed us, we were like a confident boxer that had suddenly been knocked down a couple of times and gone into safety survival mode.

Watford will be very tough, but we're a different beast to that game at Molineux. A tweaked formation and a forward partnership that is as good together as anything in the country

We're ready
We'll have more fans than at the home game !

Uncle Festa

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Best performance by an opposition I’ve seen down Molineux for a good few years, but straight after an International break. To put that in context, we played Burnley at Molineux and looked like World beaters that game. Who would have thought that the next time we played Burnley they would turn us over? But they did. Few reasons for that, we changed from a formation that in the previous encounter caused Burnley all sorts of problems, Burnley adapted their game against us second time round, and most importantly we played them straight after an International break. I’m normally quite pessimistic about Wolves, but Watford ain’t going to know what’s hit them.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His comments are completely fine, and what you’d expect a manager to say. Also let’s not ignore a fair chunk of that is quotes not attributed to Gracia.

Watford are a very good side, Sunday will be really tough and Wolves will need to be on it 100% to get the win.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His comments are completely fine, and what you’d expect a manager to say. Also let’s not ignore a fair chunk of that is quotes not attributed to Gracia.

Watford are a very good side, Sunday will be really tough and Wolves will need to be on it 100% to get the win.
We'll have to come out high tempo from the get go and hold our shape. Its going to be very very tough.

D

Deleted member 5340

Javi Gracia...Can you bring the bill please and a couple of those after dinner complimentary mints wouldn't go a miss?
#thinspanishwaiter

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let’s hope he is Graciaous in defeat ...

D

Deleted member 6754 (removed at own request)

Not really sure where the issue is with the article to be honest. Of course he knows they can beat us, they've already done it once this season and could feasibly do it again tomorrow. They're only a point and a goal behind us in the league too. There's no reason either side shouldn't go into the game believing they can win, which is exactly as it should be at this stage. Just enjoy it ffs!

D

Deleted member 6754 (removed at own request)

They ****ed all over us. Absolutely controlled the game from start to finish.

Different beast now though....

My recollection of that day is we could have played that game for the rest of the weekend and not had a sniff. Absolutely had our number. We are indeed a completely different animal now, the 3 in the middle complement each other perfectly and we have arguably the most prolific forward pairing in the league since we switched to 3-5-2/5-3-2.

S

ShropshireLad

I would prefer us not to concede at all. You good for tomorrow, mate?
Yep but they'r drinking in Ruislip Manor ffs! Eight stops past Wembley and I'll need to be there about 1:00 pm. God knows why they didn't drink in town where there are plenty of pubs which Watford won't be going to as they'll be getting off at Wembley which is on their line.

K

Knocker Lite

We'll have to come out high tempo from the get go and hold our shape. Its going to be very very tough.

Its interesting how each of us would approach the game, I differ from you in this respect.
I want Wolves to make this a technical tactical game where we keep the ball moving up and down and side to side. I feel Wolves can make Watford run and tire before eventually scoring a crucial goal.
I fear if Watford make it a high tempo athletic game it becomes more of a contest.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its interesting how each of us would approach the game, I differ from you in this respect.
I want Wolves to make this a technical tactical game where we keep the ball moving up and down and side to side. I feel Wolves can make Watford run and tire before eventually scoring a crucial goal.
I fear if Watford make it a high tempo athletic game it becomes more of a contest.

Also good points

cannockwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Very strange lot, they are all certain they will lose to city in the final and insist it's not worth winning, the ungrateful ****s, it's even bread into their young

My son is 13, he has no idea of the negativity I spout on here regarding the FA Cup. He just told me he hopes we lose tomorrow. I asked him why? He said he doesn't want to lose in the final. Good lad

D

Deleted member 4453

So Watford are the exact reason we lost that run, glad that's been cleared up.

Nout wrong with the rest of that article mind.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watfords fans really seem quite disinterested which is surprising as, despite a couple of attempts to suggest otherwise, it's not a regular event for them. But they're a strange bunch for football fans.
for us of course, win or lose, this game is a staging post to where we are aiming. For them perhaps this is the best they hope for?

Back
Top Bottom