Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Villarreal B v Wolves friendly 1000hrs

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not too worried about Coady. Anyone with a set out eyes can see he’s never going to transition to a back 4. His time will come when we need to play in a 3.

Boly on the other hand. Super disappointed. Looks totally disinterested. Get rid.
I decided that Boly had sadly lost it last season. He's been brilliant for Wolves but he's never been the same after his long COVID.
Coady still has a big part to play

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not too worried about Coady. Anyone with a set out eyes can see he’s never going to transition to a back 4. His time will come when we need to play in a 3.

Boly on the other hand. Super disappointed. Looks totally disinterested. Get rid.

Boly’s never physically recovered from Covid unfortunately. He’s looked way off it ever since.

His time as a PL defender for a team that hopes to finish top 10/push for Europe is long gone.

Fourth choice CB for us now at best.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it is looking that way. Can still do the 40 yard passes to the wing - if not being closed down. But that 1 v 1 weakness just won't go away.

Out of all the young players, I think Ronan looked the closest to actually being "First Team Ready" . Cundle not far behind. Of the rest, there's a fair few that have lots of potential and will get there, but are a year or two away, at least. Some impressive moments from all of them, but also those moments that would get them destroyed in the Premier League.

The question is whether the best way to bridge that gap is by loaning out to Champs/League 1 level sides, or remaning in our Under 23s and maybe playing first team cup matches. Also, at this age they can have rapid bursts of improvement, or just say still for a year, it's impossible to predict. Lembikisa and Hodge, for example, seem to be improving rapidly.
I've not seen much of preseason. How is Ronan's physicality? Does he have presence despite his small frame?

I always thought if he could add strength to his game, his other attributes were good enough.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No chem Campbell which I find odd.

532 the formation?

Yet another player that has apparently picked up a knock. Toti has as well. That makes it 7 currently not able to play, that went to Spain.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady really struggled when he came on, Impressed with Bueno and Ronan. I'd add them to the first team squad. Lack of attacking players due to injuries and depth really showed though in the line up for this game. Not one striker and only one out and out winger. Very concerning the amount of knocks we are picking up already and still no sign of Hwang, Sa, Semedo or Adama. How close are any of them to returning?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've not seen much of preseason. How is Ronan's physicality? Does he have presence despite his small frame?

I always thought if he could add strength to his game, his other attributes were good enough.

He seems ok on the physical side of things. The loan spell in Scotland will have done wonders.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Seemed ok today. I’d like to see him come on at Sporting alongside the actual first team to see how he does with our best players around him.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've not had the chance to watch the game today, but I've seen a lot of hate towards Coady on Twitter today. What's gone with him? Did he have a shocker? If so, was it really so bad that people want him out of the team?

Personally, having him around the squad is so underrated due to his outstanding leadership skills. I really hope he sees out the rest of his career with us. A proper football bloke!

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady really struggled in that game

Great person to have at the club but I think of we want to progress in some games he has to be on the bench

I think we will see a starting xi against sporting so could go from there

Coady is a great leader, but when he plays in a team full of youngsters, he will always struggle. He probably spent most of that game thinking and telling others where they need to be and what they need to do, rather than concentrating on his own game.

I think the type of player Coady is, he will always struggle more in games where he is expected to be one of the better players. Put better players around him and he will add to them.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

For me, that's his main disadvantage. We tend to be too lightweight (other than at CH) anyway. He didn't seem to have any problems in that regard against the "not first teams" we've been playing, though. And he's had a good season in the Scottish league. I could be guilty of stereotyping, but surely the Scottish league is not for lightweights?

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady is a great leader, but when he plays in a team full of youngsters, he will always struggle. He probably spent most of that game thinking and telling others where they need to be and what they need to do, rather than concentrating on his own game.

I think the type of player Coady is, he will always struggle more in games where he is expected to be one of the better players. Put better players around him and he will add to them.
Bang on. Most defenders will struggle when they’ve got a makeshift and young team in front of them. It was a no win game for him and Boly other than minutes in the legs.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady really struggled when he came on, Impressed with Bueno and Ronan. I'd add them to the first team squad. Lack of attacking players due to injuries and depth really showed though in the line up for this game. Not one striker and only one out and out winger. Very concerning the amount of knocks we are picking up already and still no sign of Hwang, Sa, Semedo or Adama. How close are any of them to returning?
It's pre season... knocks and twinges will be picked up. Nothing to worry about.

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Bang on. Most defenders will struggle when they’ve got a makeshift and young team in front of them. It was a no win game for him and Boly other than minutes in the legs.
Did you watch the game? Both Coady and Boly let the younger lads playing Infront of them down. Dragged out of position,slow to react to runs in behind etc.

You couldn't hear Coady yelling out instructions despite the fact you could hear much of the talk and instructions which I thought was strange.

I love both Coady and Boly, but let's call it like it is, they were very poor today against a very average team of youngsters. Kind of understandable in a nothing game for the young lads. But I expected better leadership from our captain.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He can't play in a 4, and his main attribute is being a "noisy boi".

No room for passengers at the top level.

He just can't defend 1v1 and needs a lot of help to get though games. We've changed how we play and he can't cope
Those who expect to be able to sell Coads for, say, £15m, who is going to pay that?

He can struggle in a 4, and how many PL teams play a 3CB system and need a central sweeper?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've not had the chance to watch the game today, but I've seen a lot of hate towards Coady on Twitter today. What's gone with him? Did he have a shocker? If so, was it really so bad that people want him out of the team?

Personally, having him around the squad is so underrated due to his outstanding leadership skills. I really hope he sees out the rest of his career with us. A proper football bloke!

Mostly fine! Lots of shouting and organising (could hear it is non-stop, due to no crowd to drown it out) , several excellent long passes out to the wing backs. But at fault for both goals, beatend individually by opposing forward. So nothing we haven't seen before, basically. I have little problem with a defender getting done by Premier League strikers - the cringe factor is that this was a "B" team today, way off Premier League level. What was basically our Under 23 team matched them all over the pitch - better, at times. So those defensive errors stand out.

Also, in comparison, we've seen commanding peformances at centre half from Collins and Kilman in the friendlies. They have to be ahead of Coady in the CH position? TBF Boly hasn't looked at his best, either, though not seen any problems, just rather quiet. Was impressed by Toti when he played, not sure why he wasn't around today. If we play 4 at the back, it has to be Collins and Kilman. If a back 5, then Coady will still probably edge Boly out. Though if Collins can develop the organising and become New Mr Shouty, then would rather have Kilman-Collins-Boly. Toti is backup and Mosquera still a long way off.

I do see Coady's organising and motivating as an important factor, it's a really difficult question as to how much that is balanced out by shortcomings as an actual CH at highest level.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Those who expect to be able to sell Coads for, say, £15m, who is going to pay that?

He can struggle in a 4, and how many PL teams play a 3CB system and need a central sweeper?

Think Everton will play that way this season.

His character and leadership are exactly what Everton are missing.

Absolutely perfect club for him at the moment. I’d go as far to say that his signing would galvanise them enough to stay up.

But I’d rather we keep him as a first team player, captain and key squad member. His influence is still probably worth more to us than £15-20m!

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn’t watch the second 35 but thought we looked a level above them first period. Final third was disappointing. though. Down the flanks get the ball in. When we did have it central it was pushed out wide. Very predictable. No-one really aggressive enough in wanted to go direct for goal and make something happen.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very good pressing by the youngsters.

Coady starting this one makes me wonder - if he’s not going to be a starter this season as we play 2 cb’s in Kilman and Collins, would he want to move so he can be playing regular football before the World Cup?
I wonder if he might be offered a loan if we do go with four at the back, as a sign of respect. We'd still have Bolt and Gomes as cover, and Collins can drop into the middle if we go with a back three.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think Everton will play that way this season.

His character and leadership are exactly what Everton are missing.

Absolutely perfect club for him at the moment. I’d go as far to say that his signing would galvanise them enough to stay up.

But I’d rather we keep him as a first team player, captain and key squad member. His influence is still probably worth more to us than £15-20m!
Good points, I'd also like his presence around the club, but with the World Cup on the horizon, will he be content on the bench is I guess the issue.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He is too valuable in terms of transfer fee and too expensive in wages to just to keep around the squad when we clearly need to sell to buy after the recent addition.
You can keep a ruddy type of player around as he would have not been on a high salary.

From watching pre-season he isn’t close to the starting 11 and we need more mobility and with the “England player” tax if there is a good bid that comes in we would be silly not to take it and reinvest.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good points, I'd also like his presence around the club, but with the World Cup on the horizon, will he be content on the bench is I guess the issue.

Doesn't seem to mind that role for England!

Also, if Southgate is only taking him as a cheerleader again, what difference does it make if he's playing or not?!!

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mostly fine! Lots of shouting and organising (could hear it is non-stop, due to no crowd to drown it out) , several excellent long passes out to the wing backs. But at fault for both goals, beatend individually by opposing forward. So nothing we haven't seen before, basically. I have little problem with a defender getting done by Premier League strikers - the cringe factor is that this was a "B" team today, way off Premier League level. What was basically our Under 23 team matched them all over the pitch - better, at times. So those defensive errors stand out.

Also, in comparison, we've seen commanding peformances at centre half from Collins and Kilman in the friendlies. They have to be ahead of Coady in the CH position? TBF Boly hasn't looked at his best, either, though not seen any problems, just rather quiet. Was impressed by Toti when he played, not sure why he wasn't around today. If we play 4 at the back, it has to be Collins and Kilman. If a back 5, then Coady will still probably edge Boly out. Though if Collins can develop the organising and become New Mr Shouty, then would rather have Kilman-Collins-Boly. Toti is backup and Mosquera still a long way off.

I do see Coady's organising and motivating as an important factor, it's a really difficult question as to how much that is balanced out by shortcomings as an actual CH at highest level.
It's very difficult! Too often we've said we don't have enough players for each position, whereas with CB we have a bit of a conundrum now. Due to Kilman and Collins being so young, we know they'll make mistakes in the league. This is where someone like Coady with his experience and leadership can make a massive difference. If only we could transfer his organisational skills to one of our better CBs! How often have we seen Coady help his defence keep their line against teams and tell them when to hold off and when to close down. It's like having the manager next to you on the pitch. That is a fantastic contribution and one that I doubt many other teams have.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn’t watch the second 35 but thought we looked a level above them first period. Final third was disappointing. though. Down the flanks get the ball in. When we did have it central it was pushed out wide. Very predictable. No-one really aggressive enough in wanted to go direct for goal and make something happen.

Villareal changed their entire 11 for the second half. It was a noticable step up from their first half team. Not sure how the "B" team system works, seemed like the first half was the "B" team reserves. C team, maybe?

The final 3rd problem is often the case with the Under 23's. Most times I've watched them, their goals scored is always fewer than the overall performance deserved

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doesn't seem to mind that role for England!

Also, if Southgate is only taking him as a cheerleader again, what difference does it make if he's playing or not?!!
Who would turn down just going to a tournament and experiencing it as a player, the atmosphere to and from games and the stadiums, the memories of being with the lads and the friendships. No player will mind a cheerleader role for that.

But if your a cheerleader for a whole season it would really matter to any serious pro which Connor is. Especially one who cares about playing for the club, so being relegated to benchwarmer would possibly quite hurt.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. Complete reverse of "first team" last night. Looked happy to play through the middle

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh, I'm under no illusions, I don't think anybody will buy him off us, unless they're desperate for CBs and their scouting department are woefully uninformed
Newcastle still might go in for him if he was available, a newly promoted team would have a look as would Everton.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you watch the game? Both Coady and Boly let the younger lads playing Infront of them down. Dragged out of position,slow to react to runs in behind etc.

You couldn't hear Coady yelling out instructions despite the fact you could hear much of the talk and instructions which I thought was strange.

I love both Coady and Boly, but let's call it like it is, they were very poor today against a very average team of youngsters. Kind of understandable in a nothing game for the young lads. But I expected better leadership from our captain.
Comms commented that he didn't stop talking.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yea I did. They got pulled out of position, I would say, because the lads in front of them were all youngsters.

Still, they played poorly today but I think you have to take the team they were playing in into consideration.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh, I'm under no illusions, I don't think anybody will buy him off us, unless they're desperate for CBs and their scouting department are woefully uninformed
Step forward Everton (they needed two)

Back
Top Bottom