Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Villa park to host the community shield

J

Jamesjh89

Man city vs chelsea august 12th

Could somebody please emphasise why villa park gets picked for some big games??

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What's up with Wembley?? I thought every major game had to be at Wembley?

jackdusty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100 miles from london,90? miles from manchester,seems pretty ideal to me.I've got a good idea,what if we built a national stadium in the same area,oh wait:mad:.

B

BigBadWolfie

That's novel, the community shield not at Wembley .... hmmm .... wonder where this trend will lead .... community shield next year played in New York, Beijing, New Delhi???

k-dog

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That's novel, the community shield not at Wembley .... hmmm .... wonder where this trend will lead .... community shield next year played in New York, Beijing, New Delhi???

Its because the Olympic games final is being played there.

SuperTigerWolf

Reaction score

Good shout!! Rather them use the community shield than a league game

B

BigBadWolfie

Agree that is the reason but it will give them an excuse to continue the trend of not having it at Wembley.

The FA are still very keen to showcase Premier League games abroad in their growth markets. The muted 39th game is non starter but the Community Shield match on the otherhand ....

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score

How about playing thr game down in Cardiff.

Two big clubs to fill a stadium with roughly 30,000 seats more than Villa.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa Park is a great stadium.

Still looks and feels like an 'old fashioned' ground despite all the refurb work the last 10 years or so.

One of the few unique stadiums left in top flight football imo.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wembley, Millennium Stadium and Old Trafford will be in use with the Olympics... that's probably why. No-one gives a $$$$ about the Charity Shield anymore anyway.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Very true, sedgewolf.

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/aston_villa/

Will be even better when Villa redevelop the North Stand, to give them 51,000 seats.

If Steve Morgan does all four phases, and totally redevelops Molineux, then theoretically Wolves should only be a thousand seats behind them.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa Park struggles to host a crowd these days. Never mind a football match.

B

BigBadWolfie

Villa Park is a great stadium.

Still looks and feels like an 'old fashioned' ground despite all the refurb work the last 10 years or so.

One of the few unique stadiums left in top flight football imo.

Agreed. Glad Morgan is incorporating brickwork on the outside of new Cullis Stand to give it a bit of character like it does at Villa Park.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Feng shui? Location? Is it wrongly aligned in relation to the sun? Admittedly I can't remember having gone there since West Germany v Spain in the 1966 World Cup (!)but I always found it dingy & depressing, a bit like Filbert Street & St Andrews used to be. Have passed it many times on the train over the years, but it don't impress me none. And when I've been stuck at Witton station on a match day, the train/bus services leave a lot to be desired.

Last edited by a moderator:

dingle01902

Reaction score
I read earlier that the Olympic Final is at Wembully on the Saturday and the Com Shield on the Sunday at Vile Park. Cant understand why it couldnt have been staged at Wembley as usual tbh. The playoffs are normally held on consecutive days. Also as the competition finishes the day before, the Millenium Stadiums football programme would have been completed even earlier making it even more bizarre that 42000 Villa Park has been selected.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No-one gives a $$$$ about the Charity Shield anymore anyway.
True. As the Charity Shield, it used to kick start the new season with a significant friendly between the top two clubs in the country, the winners of the two major domestic trophies. When Spurs won the double in 1961, they had to play an FA XI (whatever happened to those?).

But now with the Carling Cup, year round Europa League & the bigger clubs only interested in European qualification places knowing they're unable to buy the league title, & less & less interest in the FA Cup as it no longer carries qualification to the Cup Winners Cup, the Community Shield has become a fairly meaningless side show.

Jonny De Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I read earlier that the Olympic Final is at Wembully on the Saturday and the Com Shield on the Sunday at Vile Park. Cant understand why it couldnt have been staged at Wembley as usual tbh. The playoffs are normally held on consecutive days. Also as the competition finishes the day before, the Millenium Stadiums football programme would have been completed even earlier making it even more bizarre that 42000 Villa Park has been selected.

There is a rule that the Olympic venues can't be used for a set period of time after the Olympics.
Rules out Wembley , Old Trafford, Millenium Stadium

bimble

Reaction score
Probably something to do with the police not wanting 100,000 football fans in addition to the thousands of fans attending various olympic events throughout the area.

Back
Top Bottom