Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Verdict: Wolves v Aldershot.

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
Really interested to see the verdicts and player ratings for Ståle's first game in charge.

Post here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Simply not good enough. I know we didn't have our best players on the pitch, but if this is the squad we're forced to field due to injuries or transfers, we're in for a long season.

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Solbakken wants us to play through the middle but we don't have the players for that. Most of this team is still micks boys who are used to playing down the wings. And when it finally does get in the middle we have 3-4 players on the wing! 4 decent players need to be signed up in order to play the way stale wants to.

My view after getting back from the game.

A

andyc225

The squad is a work in progress. New players will be coming in and some of the players that appeared (or indeed threw sickies) today will be going.

We played on the floor, which is a massive plus.

We did get forward but we peppered their box a little bit. We need someone with the guts to take those final few steps, but I'd say Ståle is on to that already.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
We tried to play a passing game which will take time to come good, but it will do IMO. First-half we were pretty poor but upped it in the second and ET. Penalty shoot-out was very good....was concerned that we would fail but it came good as we needed a boost.

Ikeme – decent

Zubes – good, with attacking potency which can be hit-or-miss.

Johnson – decent without being convincing.

Stears - average, does not inspire confidence.

Wardy - good

Henry – solid, but still showed more defensively.

Doumbs – promising, will improve with playtime.

Davis – superb and my MOM....see signature. Offers more in a central role.

Forde – good, busy like but offers little potency.

Doyler – solid typical display...needs to ad a goal threat

SEB - very good, looking sharp

Noubs – busy, looked decent

It will come together, trust me....just needs a little time.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
SEB put his penalty down the middle! God help us if he's first choice this season.

M

morosewolf

The 2 wider midfielders and full backs are the key to this system. The 4 that played today aren't the answer.

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We tried to play a passing game which will take time to come good, but it will do IMO. First-half we were pretty poor but upped it in the second and ET. Penalty shoot-out was very good....was concerned that we would fail but it came good as we needed a boost.

Ikeme – decent

Wardy - good

Stears played perfectly fine, yeah he had the odd error here and there in the past but he is the second best CB at the club. Johnson on his day is the best CB I'm afraid.

P

paddy

Ikeme – decent

Wardy - good

so hope this proves to be the case , so positive

SOUTHBANK_BULLY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ikeme – was ok

Zubes – still seems like bambi on ice with the ball

Johnson – decent a rock infact could hear him shouting which is great

Stears - works well with johnson,was decent

Wardy - gave the ball away several times and looked to lump it , just like under mick

Henry – great game by him , wants the ball my man of the MOM

Doumbs – looked very good , needs to stretch his legs more

Davis – not a winger , needs to be played in the middle

Forde – looked ok but needs to whip the ball in more

Doyler – held the ball up well , did some good flick on's but needs to have a shot on goal

SEB - looks back to his old self , seems to have a spring in his step at the moment , put his penalty in the best place (down the middle) as keepers always dive to their left or right also seb's penalty was with pace and power

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really did lack width and I don't like the odds of scoring enough goals to get us up without Fletcher.

Ikeme 8 - Did a good job, looks a bit indecisive though but made a good penalty save.

Zubar 6 - Cost us the goal with his poor marking, still looks suspect defensively but good going forward as usual.

Johnson 8 - Good game, looked up for it and looks a lot healthier than last season. Took a good penalty too.

Stearman 7 - Did okay, caught out a few times but Roger was there to cover for him. Still don't fully trust him to be a starter for us though.

Ward 7 - Good going forward like Zubar but gave the ball away too many times for my liking.

Davis 7 - Did a decent job considering he was out of position. Didn't provide much width though which is to be expected as he is naturally a central midfielder. Linked up with Zubar a bit though.

Henry 8 - Thought he played well, controlled the game. Had 2 shots (I think?) which was a big positive for me, looked a lot more confident going forward too.

Doumbia 7 - Looks a good player with great potential. Looks to get on the ball and drive forward, more match time will do him good.

Forde 7 - Thought he played well and in one on one situations with their fullback looked dangerous. Think he could do a decent job for us this season if he isn't loaned out.

Doyle 6 - Missed a few good chances and makes me wonder why so many people on this forum think he'll score 20+ this season. Link up play was okay.

SEB 7 - Well taken goal and looked lively. Maybe should've had 2 or 3 but looked sharp in and around the box.

Man of the Match for me was Henry

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ikeme: Didn't have a great deal to do, caught a few crosses but nothing spectacular.
Zubar: Not his best game, touch was poor but provided some width.
Johnson: Hoped he come good this year but on today's showing he was pretty poor against poor opposition.
Stears: Abit better than Johnson.
Ward: We desperately need a new LB IMO, if Solbakken wants the fullbacks to provide the width we need a pacier fullback than ward.
Davis: I'd say he was playing RM, tidy in possession but not a great deal of creativity.
Henry: pretty much the same as Davis, tidy in possession.
Doumbia: some nice side steps to avoid challenges, will be a good signing IMO.
Forde: quite disappointing IMO, poor crossing, poor set peices and didn't create a great deal. Hit the post though.
SEB: Looked sharp, scored, held the ball up well when it was played toward his chest, looked like his old self.
Doyle: his dribbling/ball control was good, didn't look like scoring though. Signs of his old self but nothing like Doyle at his best.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Listening today it sounded as if their keeper especially in the later stages of the game made quite a few saves. How do you guys think he did? Did he save them?

G

GoldForever

Some of the ratings on here are making me laugh, just remember people, the opposition were ALDERSHOT.

S

she wolf

It was like watching a trainning game to me, with no really clarity or direction but I suppose they have to start a new set-up somewhere,there were to many dips then lifts, I didn't have time to be excited before I was back down again, talk about a roller coaster ride, not good enough by a long way. the player have been back trainning for long enough to grasp the basics of the new playing style I would have thought perhaps you carnt teach an old dog new tricks so to speak.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honest opinion coming here. I have been accused of being a happy clapper on Twitter recently, So I took of my gold tinted Specs for this. I'll break it down in to Departments firstly, the individuals

GK: Ikeme looked solid. Did feel he should have come for a few more crosses and I think, although without the benefit of a reply I couldn't tell you, he should have come for the Goal we conceded. Will be No.1 i feel this year.

Defence: Some standard rickety errors. Still some Mickism's in there (keeping the ball too long and when nothing is on, hoof it long) but, RJ and Stears looked good together in the centre, Zubes looked decent going forward but his decision making is erratic and his first touch terrible sometimes! Wardy did ok, supported Forde well on the left but made some simple passing errors.

Midfield: This is going to take a while to get used to. 1 Winger in the midfield, one attacking CM, One Sitting CM, and one Right Sided mid who allows the Right back to furrow forward. They did seem a little confused as a unit and definitely lacked a creative spark although both Henry and Doumbia hit wonderful 40 yard balls in the game. personally, I think if Ståle wants to play narrow, it needs to be with a 3 and then a another 3 up top.

Strikers: Decent movement, non of them afraid to come short to start a move. Think that until the midfield has settled and sorted itself they will have to fashion a lot more of their own chances than they did today.

Individuals:

Ikeme: 7 (he saved the penalty after all!)

Zubes: 6 Needs to work on his touch and decision making

RJ: 7 Looked Solid and i was delighted he clapped the fans at the end and looked really fired up when he scored his pen (He even patted the badge!)

Stears: 7 Tried to play the Ball Playing Defender role and succeeded to an extent. Still made some 1 on 1 errors.

Ward: 6 Did his defending quite well and supported Forde well, but wasteful in possession.

Davis: 7 Played out of position, but still looked good. Seemed to take a while to get used to not having as much time on the ball but distribution was quite good

Doumbia: 8 (MOTM) Thought this guy looked a cut above everyone else on the pitch. Calm in possession, not afraid to go forward, made some maruading runs and was sensible in possession. Impressive first Molineux outing.

Henry: 7 Solid and unspectacular as always. Never given the creit he deserves. Needs to work on his distribution as he gets caught with the ball sometimes.

Forde: 8 (2nd MOTM) Looked very good and MUCH more attack minded than he was in the Premier League. needs to work on his crossing and his interchange with Ward was good.

Doyle: 6 Still looks bereft of confidence. Needs a couple of goals and to stay on his feet a little more.

SEB: 7 A thunderous goal, nobody was stopping it. People say he looks overweight, but I think he looks exactly as he always has. Looked hungry and very interested in the game.

Subs:

Berra: Standard Berra. Arms everywhere but still looked solid. Embarrassed that fans booed him. He knows he wont be used and wants to play regularly. I don't blame him for wanting a new challenge.

Nouble: Did ok. First touch a little sloppy and the ball got caught in his feet a few times, but looked fit and up for it.

Hunt: Busy, but didn't do a lot as most of our attacking play came through Forde.

ALL Penalties were crackers as well. Their keeper, who had a blinder inside 120 minutes, stood no chance.

They thing from our fans P.O.V is PATIENCE this year. Patience with the team being moulded to Ståle's plans and PATIENCE in our approach in games. Shouting SHOOT everytime we get the ball on the edge of the 18 yard box will not help. Ståle obviously wants us to use possession well, so I can't see a lot of screaming 25 yarders. Give the Man, The Team and The club a chance to correct their mistake.

And Btw, a chance DOES NOT constitute 3 Months.

If you made it to the end, congratulations! :D

B

Batman

The 2 wider midfielders and full backs are the key to this system. The 4 that played today aren't the answer.

Not sure about the full backs not being the answer. But Forde and Davis are not the answer at the moment in wide right and wide left midfield.

Davis looked much better when he came inside but pushing Doumbia out to the right nullified his great start to the game. But we have Pezscko to come in and hopefully a wide left man when Jarvis does one.

R

RichDavi

From the Official Facebook page on an article titled: Solbakken: Still have work to do

Simon Bate You ay lyin mate
6 minutes ago via Mobile · Like

Gaz Barker Idc stale manager is $$$ing dreadful idc

Jonathan Sven Mctinnisson Harper i would say bon jovi has more chance of selling less than two albums than MR STALE has of making anything happen, HEY MR SOLBRAKKEN PROVE ME WRONG
about a minute ago · Like

We are never going to be a Premier League top half club with support like this.

A

andyc225

From the Official Facebook page on an article titled: Solbakken: Still have work to do

Jonathan Sven Mctinnisson Harper i would say bon jovi has more chance of selling less than two albums than MR STALE has of making anything happen, HEY MR SOLBRAKKEN PROVE ME WRONG

Top half Prem clubs have knuckle draggers/idiots supporting them too.

B

Batman

Terrible ain't it. The guy next to me in the Billy Wright kept saying today:-

"All these English managers who've worked this division for years must be thinking why has he got the Wolves job and not me. They should have gone English"

I thought FFS it's the guys first game and he's managing a club in turmoil at the moment with transfer requests coming in left right and centre. I would have told him too but he was about 30 years older than me and i should respect my elders.

Let's give the guy some time. Please!

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Our supporters on the whole have always been fickle, mainly due to how many of our fans think we deserve success because we were really good a few decades ago.

A

andyc225

Do they call for the return of a manager who oversaw a 5-1 smashing at home to their bitterest rivals after 1 game?

There are Tottenham fans who want Flash 'Arry back.

In all seriousness I was surrounded by daytrippers, moaners and combinations thereof. I hope they don't take up permanent residence near to me in my new seat.

AndyP

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Noticed people around me having a go when we kept possession fairly well in midfield because they weren't passing it forward. I agree maybe Wolverhampton won't give SS the patience he deserves.

Some $$$$in morons at the game today.

LINT70

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There are Tottenham fans who want Flash 'Arry back.

In all seriousness I was surrounded by daytrippers, moaners and combinations thereof. I hope they don't take up permanent residence near to me in my new seat.

I had a bunch of Henry haters next to me slagging him constantly saying he's a parks player and the like (though i'm sure i heard a few boos from further back in the NB when he was about to take his penalty!) - though Ward wasn't far behind in their venom - i can't for the life of me understand how people can go to games with this mentality and get any enjoyment from it.

There are lots of reasonably minded Wolves fans though too - it's just a pity they get drowned out by a sizeable moronic minority - cos if you do say something it can easily turn ugly - as almost did near me today when a couple of lads confronted ppl for booing Berra.

B

BigBadWolf

Ikeme: Didn't have a great deal to do, caught a few crosses but nothing spectacular.
Zubar: Not his best game, touch was poor but provided some width.
Johnson: Hoped he come good this year but on today's showing he was pretty poor against poor opposition.
Stears: Abit better than Johnson.
Ward: We desperately need a new LB IMO, if Solbakken wants the fullbacks to provide the width we need a pacier fullback than ward.
Davis: I'd say he was playing RM, tidy in possession but not a great deal of creativity.
Henry: pretty much the same as Davis, tidy in possession.
Doumbia: some nice side steps to avoid challenges, will be a good signing IMO.
Forde: quite disappointing IMO, poor crossing, poor set peices and didn't create a great deal. Hit the post though.
SEB: Looked sharp, scored, held the ball up well when it was played toward his chest, looked like his old self.
Doyle: his dribbling/ball control was good, didn't look like scoring though. Signs of his old self but nothing like Doyle at his best.

Probably the closest so far, not sure why everyone thinks Forde did well? Lacks pace.

B

Bankswolf II

Judging from this game the same old problems are there good attack good tidy midifield with no flair, creativity, ingenuity, ideas, pace, distribution and a defence thats poor with a make shift left back

I hope the sale of Fletcher and Jarvis changes this and we get some new blood in

GAWAZZ

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Noticed people around me having a go when we kept possession fairly well in midfield because they weren't passing it forward. I agree maybe Wolverhampton won't give SS the patience he deserves.

Some $$$$in morons at the game today.

That is not just Wolves, that's english football in general!

I had a bunch of Henry haters next to me slagging him constantly saying he's a parks player and the like (though i'm sure i heard a few boos from further back in the NB when he was about to take his penalty!) - though Ward wasn't far behind in their venom - i can't for the life of me understand how people can go to games with this mentality and get any enjoyment from it.

There are lots of reasonably minded Wolves fans though too - it's just a pity they get drowned out by a sizeable moronic minority - cos if you do say something it can easily turn ugly - as almost did near me today when a couple of lads confronted ppl for booing Berra.

I have come to the conclusion today that 90% of people that go to Wolves games are idiots! Now I am not perfect but at least in many cases I see the bigger picture or both sides of a debate!

I honestly belive that many people that booed Berra today would not / will not boo if it was Fletcher!!! Whats the difference?

GAWAZZ

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably the closest so far, not sure why everyone thinks Forde did well? Lacks pace.

I thought that was the best I have seen him play, would he be in my first team, no, but some good crosses IMV none the less!

E

Elephant Pyjamas

Was sat in the upper Billy Wright, very gay ticker tape to welcome the players fired by cannons! The stand looks impressive when full, and great from outside the ground.

As for the game we kept possession well, but we rarely actually tried an inventive ball, it was sidewards, sidewards, sidewards....wait....sidewards, sidewards....it's going to drive the South Bank potty, there will be a hell of a lot of pressure on players to "gerit forward" when we play like this at home to Barnsley et al, it's going to be interesing!

This RM rather than RW malarky was odd too, it seems like we leave that space free to enable us somewhere for our players to run into, if that makes sense. There is so rarely an "out" ball as a result though, and given that Forde is right footed and was on the left we were incredibly narrow. Needless to say without Jarvis, Kightly, Fletcher (and even Hammill?) we were totally lacking flair and creativity, at least with Mick we had wingers!

Ikeme - Reasonable performance, was poor for the goal though as M. Rankine (!) had a free header at the back post that i don't think he even needed to jump for, he should be cutting the cross out, but then I guess he leaned from the master.

Zubar - Erratic as ever, got forward well (as in, he managed to get a long way up the pitch) however, as ever he couldn't put a decent ball in, and his throwins were bloody awful. At one point he misplaced a simple 10 yard pass and SS went mental, lept up and down and $$$$$$$ed him.

Stearman - Still diving in when he doesn't really need too, dispossessed them fairly well, but Rankine gave both Stearman and Johnson a right run around with his strengeth. Not sure why he was subbed, nothing noticeable regarding an injury?

Johnson - Got a good reception, particularly when taking his penalty which is baffling when compared to the boos for Berra. Couple of poor headers that could have left us in trouble, and a poor challenge in the first half. His performance was about as good as last season, but obviously against weaker players. Rankine roughed him up a fair bit.

Ward - Lacking confidence, a couple of times had good opportunities to shoot but decided to cross or check, laid on a good chance for SEB though.

Davis - Steady, kept the ball well, and looked ok in an unfamiliar position, he had far more impact when he swapped with Doumbia, although this dampened Doumbia's influence.

Henry - Played well, as you can imagine a possession based game won't particularly test him, especially when the type of play isn't particularly expansive. His MO is to win the ball and keep the ball.

Doumbia - Looked good, always played the "right" ball, looked strong and got a good assist. He seemed to benefit from the space on the right wing more than anyone, running into the RW position from deep on numerous occasions and recieving the ball from Zubar and Davis, it was that type of move that created SEB's goal. When swapped with Davis he was a lot less effective.

Forde - Got better as the game went on, hit the post with a lovely strike and put in some great crosses, had a bit more pace than i thought, and given he was on his "wrong" side had a good game. Other than Doumbia i'd say he was MOTM. Good penalty too.

Doyle - Typical Doyle performance, won lots of free kicks, ran into the channels a lot, that was about it. He needs a goal.

SEB - Looked sharp, particularly good goal, similar to a goal scored against Preston years ago and a very good penalty, link up play was fairly good too, but this is a different system, our strikers don't get the ball with their backs to goal anywhere near as often as they did under MM.

Hunt - Played RM oddly, SS seems to like inverted wingers...within 15 seconds Hunt had lost possession and then fouled the player he lost possession to. Typical Hunt.

Berra - Every touch was boo'd, pointless. We have Johnson who was an utter $$$$ getting a standing ovation, and Berra who gave everything last season being boo'd baffling.

Nouble - Looked ok, in a Carl Cort kind of way, could have got a goal if he'd been a bit sharper following up a parry from their keeper (who played well)

This was the first time i'd seen us win since QPR, and we needed it, a loss to Aldershot would have increased the gloom!

I reckon about 30% of fans got up to leave when the full time whistle was blown, admittedly some were genuinely going home, but the rest simply don't know the rules. Dicks.

We need to raise our game a hell of a lot to get anything from Leeds, however this narrow midfield may work well away from home, but at home i think it's going to be arduous.

B

BigBadWolf

I thought that was the best I have seen him play, would he be in my first team, no, but some good crosses IMV none the less!

I don't think he did anything wrong and I don't think he is a terrible player, I just find it strange when I see various posters say how great a game he had.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Despite a win on penalties against a league 2 outfit looking poor on paper, i was pleased to see a new style starting. Tight passing, which, often failing where it mattered, the seeds of solbakken are sown, and i was delighted to see a method of play clearly different to mm. There is still some work to do, hoping the passes become more productive but it looks promising. SEB actually looked like a decent ccc striker again, and i was was pleased with Roger today and the crowds reaction to him. Unlike the reaction to berra. I bet he was $$$$ting himself if he was to take a penalty.. And what if he did... Would the fans have still booed him walking to the spot, and if he scored. No wonder players want to leave...

Overall, promising... But we need one or two new faces in the side permanently... Sigurdsson and Peszko to name but two. Oh, and why didn't Hammill figure today?

M

Monkey Man

Dreadful for me. Team looked like strangers and against better opposition would have been torn apart first half. I see what he's trying to do but utterly useless with the current crop of players.

Leeds could take us to the cleaners.

H

Hawkins discuss

I think we will have to wait and see on this season
Afterall this was the first competative game with SS in the chair
All the videos in the world won't compare with competative real life play
Give the man time please people

Back
Top Bottom