Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Verdict: Wolves 6 - Rotherham 4 (FT)

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
A great attacking display from both sides that was unfortunately tarred by the idiots that ran onto the pitch at every opportunity.

Post your verdicts here.

D

drewtwulf

Difficult to put that one into words, one of those games that simply don't come around very often at all - fair play to Rotherham's players and fans for the part they played in what was an unbelievable day.

D

Deleted member 3604

Game of four quarters and it was two each. Swung and swang throughout but the game was littered with some abysmal defending from both sides. Very open game as I saw it with both sides playing some great build up play for those foxes in the boxes.

One of those games KMac couldn't quite get into and Sako was as frustrating as he's ever been. Yet all players contributed well and our two quarters was as good as it gets. Dicko was chopped and pulled about but his strength paid off and he deserved that hat-trick. Celebrated Milla-style in front of the Rotherham supporters. Safe to say where his allegiance lies. Massive part of our promotion push later stages so really looking forward to him next season. Love his impudence and swagger.

Dicko MoM

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Insane game! What a show for our record crowd.

Heads all scrambled, don't know what to think!......Should have been in the bag @ 3 – 1.

Thought it was all over at 4 – 4 but the end was just mad, and that's without considering the lunatics in the SB.

We played deep in the second half and let them take the midfield which allowed them control and set them up to create chances.....so many balls were put into our box. TBH they deserved something from the game for their efforts. We though could easily have had 2 or 3 more ourselves with better finishing......it could have been 9 – 6!....Kemes made an fantastic save early in the second to prevent one going in the top corner.

Our CDs played well even allowing for the number of goals against as they came at us relentlessly, so they deserve a mention in consideration for MOTM. But I'm going with Dicko for his hat-trick and overall play; took a bit of a buffeting at times but stuck at it impressively.

B

Brusselswolf

Due to all the chaos on the Eurotunnel lat night we almost cancelled our trip here. We finally decided that we may as well carry on now...
3 stunned Belgian faces sat in my car afterwards ... 6-4, 30 110 attendance, 3 pitch invasions, could have been 10-8, when the atmosphere got going it was brilliant and finally pork scratchings..
For pure entertainment this I struggle to think of a better match that I have seen.. Good Lord.. error prone, woeful defenfing at time - ye... but pure entertainment

Mr Chad

Groupie
Reaction score
Thought KJ got his half time substitution totally wrong. OK taking Evans off, but why replace him with Henry and completely unbalance the team. Simple change for Price every day for me. By the time he worked out how to correct the mistake by taking off Sako so he could get Price on, all the momentum was with Rotherham.

Mr Chad

Groupie
Reaction score
If Rotherham played well how come they let in six?

Their defence was abysmal. When Ricketts hit he post he lost possession a couple of times and they gave him stright back again, and they did the same thing when Jacobs hit the side netting at 5-4.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves teams of old would have caved in. Jackett and Rickeets are brill

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Rotherham played well how come they let in six?
the last 2 were due to them pushing everyone forward and getting caught on the break.

Great entertainment good attacking play by both teams where both went out to try and win the game,but we were very complacent and sloppy in midfield and defense and gave rotherham far too much time on the ball at times. and spoilt at the end by the idiots who went on the pitch, but overall an entertaining match that we just about deserved to win, but fair play to Rotherham who after a good start then going 3-1 down came back with everything they had, and to our lads for keeping going and getting the last 2 after they made it 4-4 heads could have dropped

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
David Edwards was superb. Box to box running and a lovely goal.

Some great goals from. Was delighted Ricketts got his goal and effectively the winner.

A crazy game though, and despite looking solid at the back we conced too many poor goals.

Rotherham fans were in big numbers, but the Steve Bull lower did it's job in silencing their attempts to get going properly. Special mention to the the skin head in the red England shirt closest seat to the SB, that man needs to get laid! Never seen someone so angry and frustrated about so little, poor chap. I was also particularly impressed with the example the young couple set to their small child by deciding to spend the first half goading the Wolves fans leading to their eventual withdrawal from the crowd. Really responsible parenting that.

Overall a good day. But it would be remiss not to mention the fact that too many idiots 'support' this club. As witnessed by the scenes in the final ten minutes.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
David Edwards was superb. Box to box running and a lovely goal.

Some great goals from. Was delighted Ricketts got his goal and effectively the winner.

A crazy game though, and despite looking solid at the back we conced too many poor goals.

Rotherham fans were in big numbers, but the Steve Bull lower did it's job in silencing their attempts to get going properly. Special mention to the the skin head in the red England shirt closest seat to the SB, that man needs to get laid! Never seen someone so angry and frustrated about so little, poor chap. I was also particularly impressed with the example the young couple set to their small child by deciding to spend the first half goading the Wolves fans leading to their eventual withdrawal from the crowd. Really responsible parenting that.

Overall a good day. But it would be remiss not to mention the fact that too many idiots 'support' this club. As witnessed by the scenes in the final ten minutes.

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
f you had to sum the game up, you'd call it a terrific 90 minutes, followed by a 10 minute farce at the end.

We started quite sluggishly, and allowed Rotherham to score when our achilles heel came back to strike, with some poor defending from a set piece. It seemed to shock the crowd, many of whom had perhaps turned up expecting another comfortable win. However, the half an hour before half time was terrific. Dicko was sensational up front, held everything up, and terrified the defence with his pace. And we got men around him to support, and caused Rotherham countless problems. Dicko's first goal came after some neat work from Edwards and Sako, whose low cross was bundled home by Dicko, after the hapless Rotherham keeper could only get a hand to it. His second was more excellent football, and he was played in with a superb ball, and finished with aplomb. The third goal came from great determination from Scott Golbourne, who won the ball back, surged forward then dinked a terrific pass through for Edwards, who continued his red hot scoring form with another nice finish.

I actually think second half was the worst we've played all season, certainly as bad as I've seen. We dropped too deep, didn't play straight, didn't close down quick enough and allowed Rotherham to dictate the tempo and direction of play. To be fair, our defence has been outstanding all season, so although they're not exempt from criticism, you can forgive a poor afternoon. Too often, a long punt down the channel from a Rotherham defender was taken in by one of their players, we didn't do the basics well enough. That said, going forward we looked deadly on the break.

The lively Agard pulled on back after a scramble in the box, only for Dicko to (hopefully) settle the nerves with another cool finish, with about 10 to go. We then fell apart, again, and allowed Rotherham two very simple goals back, the second of which seemed to deflect and trickle over the line at about 0.5 miles an hour. At 4-4, you thought that we'd blown it, only for captain fantastic, Sam Ricketts, to score an absolute peach. He had hit the inside of the post before that too, and no one deserves a goal more than he does. That sparked the first pitch invasion. The second came when Jacobs hit the side netting. The third came when McDonald wrapped it up emphatically on the counter. The fourth came at the final whistle.

In a way, it's a shame that it's those mindless fools who ran on the pitch who'll cause most of the talking points, because it was a terrific game of football. Sadly, I think we haven't heard the last of it. The club will probably get fined for failing to control spectators, and if the Football League decide to take further action, the club doesn't really have a leg to stand on. To invade the pitch once, after the final whistle, is exuberance, you can forgive it. But to do it during a game, twice after goals, and once when the ball hits the side netting, is ridiculous.

Ratings:

Ikeme- 7. Made one terrific save early in the second half, but I feel he could have done better with a couple of the goals.

Ricketts- 7. Scored a fantastic goal and hit the post, and gave another solid, dependable performance at right back.

Batth- 6. Thought he struggled today, looked a little off the pace at times, and ended up lunging in a couple of times.

Stearman- 8. Had a really good game, made some really important headers and clearances.

Golbourne- 7. Had a terrific first half, made on superb tackle on the edge of his own box, and set up the third goal with some brilliant determination, and no little quality either. Struggled a bit second half, seemed to get a bit swamped on his side, and struggled to get to the ball.

Evans- 6. Not in the game at all, really quiet by his usual, lively standards, and gave the ball away cheaply a couple of times. Was rightly replaced at half time.

McDonald- 7. Thought he dropped below his usual standards today, at times he looked leggy in possession, and ended up going backwards to nowhere in particular. Used the ball a bit better in the second half, and got a crucial sixth goal late on.

Jacobs- 7. Brought the ball forward well, but couldn't quite find a cutting egde at times. Was a useful asset on the counter attack late on too, he has great vision when running at speed.

Edwards- 8. Another excellent game, got a goal and a couple of assists. In the second half, he was the only one with the tenacity to close players down, he never stopped going.

Sako- 7. Bit of an up and down game, did some great work at times, notably in the first goal, but also faded badly after half time.

Dicko- 9- MotM. Gave a fantastic performance today, really utilised the early balls into him, he absolutely terrorised the Rotherham centre halves. His sheer pace would cause enough problems, but with trickery and tenacity too, he's a handful for anyone. Scored three strikers goals too.

Subs:

Henry- 6. Not really involved in the game when he came on.

Price- 6. See above, didn't quite make enough of an impact.

Doherty- Brought on late to try and hold the lead.

Referee- 1. Abysmal, couldn't make a decision to save his life, missed two clear Rotherham red cards for me. Avoids a zero because he did at least decide to do something after the third pitch invasion.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well another routine match at Molineux. First half we played well but 2nd half Sat back and it seems a lot of our players were more interested in their holiday plans. Sad to see pitch invasions for no reason - hope we can have a proper celebration with the players after Carlisle.
Wonder if any of our stay aways who came to this are considering a ST. Simply great entertainment in all sorts of ways, on and off the pitch.

D

Deleted member 4023

Our players switched off a little - Rotherham needed to go for the win to consolidate their play-off place. Fair play to them for making it such an open game. Can't see any of the playoff teams stopping them tbh & I expect we'll meet up with them again next season in the chumpionship.

K

King Kenny

Just a small point; does anybody else think that the Mexican Wave never does us any favours. Previous Wolves teams have lost concentration after the in match celebrations.

B

Brandons gramps

What a game!

Breathless and insane - some match for three generations to attend.

Fair play to the players for keeping going when it got to 4-4 and to most of the South Bank for putting the idiots in their place.

Finally Dicko got a hattrick and Ricketts got a well deserved goal. Edwards rightly got a standing ovation when substituted

Final word for the Rotherham players - they had a word after our 6th goal (and the threat to abandon the game) and sent the kick off straight to Ikeme, so the ref could end the game. Common sense and sportsmanship won out in the end...

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only correct thing the ref did all game was threaten to end the game, But it should of ended earlier

Mr Chad

Groupie
Reaction score
Just a small point; does anybody else think that the Mexican Wave never does us any favours. Previous Wolves teams have lost concentration after the in match celebrations.

Can never see the point of it anyway - I've paid to go and watch a game of football not stand up and sit down repeatedly just because some other people think its clever.

And yes I do think the players switch off when its going on - probably because sub-consciously it gives them the impression the games over.

K

King Kenny

The only correct thing the ref did all game was threaten to end the game, But it should of ended earlier

The ref was really poor; i'm just surprised he didn't take the opportunity to call it off.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a game. Easily the best/most thrilling game I've been to see live.

Felt for Stears as I thought he was class today and noway deserved to be part of a defence that conceded 4.

Delighted for Dicko to get his hat-trick and what an all round performance from him too but I was even more delighted for Sam Ricketts to finally get his goal. Goal of the season for me.

Special mention to Ikeme, who made one fantastic save early in the second half, and Edwards, who was very good again.

Mr Chad

Groupie
Reaction score

To be honest, event though i was brassed off at the time, I still had to smile when he apologised to Agard for having to book him for taking his shirt off.

1908radford

KJ told em to put on a show but I don't think that's what he had in mind!
Bloody hell what a game..said it after the away game n il say it again Rotherham are a very good team.
However we were just far to potent and seemed to be able to correct some crazy defending at will by going up the other end and scoring again.
One to remember! what a day ,what a crowd "except the pitch invading plonkers"
I think the lads wanted to put on a show which at times rattled Rotherham like poking a rattlesnake and could have backfired.
Overall a fantastic day worthy of the largest crowd in a verylong time and all in division one

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 3604

Felt for Stears as I thought he was class today and noway deserved to be part of a defence that conceded .

Similar performances will be punished far more often next season. We missed Jack Price. There are very few good strikers in L1. I am not prepared to blow smoke up our defences arses until they have done it in the Championship. Unproven at the moment.

Sephiroth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well those that have been saying we'll put 6 past someone eventually were right! Bet it wasnt in the circumstances they imagined tho! Fair play to both teams!

PREM.L.L

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Barking mad game. Started pretty slowly and didn't get into stride until after they scored. 2nd half we were bloody appalling, sitting off when we should have been snapping out at the ball. For 20 mins Rotherham were camped on our 20 yard line it seemed. We just invited and invited.............and invited and invited pressure. When we had the kick up the $$$$ of them scoring we were lethal in attack...........only to go back into our shell again .........and then to re-emerge. Bizarre game .

Really glad Ricketts scored a cracker and was pretty damn good all afternoon, MOM. McDonald wasn't his usual class self but did enough. Dicko was tough and fast and deserved his hat-trick.

The stupid crowd got the bird they deserved, as the old sister succinctly put it "It was just fat bald blokes running on!"

Hell of a game.

el gringo

Reaction score
not a verdict, just a quick comment - Rotherham have scored very nigh on a quarter of the goals scored against us so far this season. not a complaint, just thought it quite remarkable.

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
WS10Wolf? "the second of which seemed to deflect and trickle over the line at about 0.5 miles an hour."

I was behind the goal in the NB. It took a huge deflection as Ikeme had it covered. I agree with your review so I'll second it rather than write it all out myself.

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
not a verdict, just a quick comment - Rotherham have scored very nigh on a quarter of the goals scored against us so far this season. not a complaint, just thought it quite remarkable.

Almost as mad a fact as the game.

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Due to all the chaos on the Eurotunnel lat night we almost cancelled our trip here. We finally decided that we may as well carry on now...
3 stunned Belgian faces sat in my car afterwards ... 6-4, 30 110 attendance, 3 pitch invasions, could have been 10-8, when the atmosphere got going it was brilliant and finally pork scratchings..
For pure entertainment this I struggle to think of a better match that I have seen.. Good Lord.. error prone, woeful defenfing at time - ye... but pure entertainment

Was that you and your flag on the pitch in front of the North Bank after the game?

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A quite unbelievable game. Delighted with over 30,000 and a nice touch to let Lynne announce it.

I won't comment on this thread on what overshadowed the game.

Decent atmosphere, South Bank were nice and vocal, Steve Bull and North Bank got involved too.

I don't think we ever truly got going today, which sounds bizarre I know.

Dicko scored a hattrick, but in all honesty I didn't think he had a great game. Which again sounds bizarre!

Edwards was excellent and my MOM - simply HAS to be offered a new deal. Kenny is getting the best out of him and the lad did ever so well.

Over the moon for Ricketts. Great performance and awesome goal!

A truly bizarre, wonderful game of football.

Rotherham were very very good. Agard is a cracking player.

Enough of this "real" fan malarkey too. We are all Wolves.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

we conceeded 4 in 70 mins today whereas you have to go back another 613 minutes for the previous 4

Titch

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cracking game, ruined by idiots at the end.

Would have been great to celebrate with the players at the end after an amazing game. The atmosphere was ruined for the last ten minutes.

Litten tree was bouncing tonight. :D

Locks Heath Wolf

Reaction score
What a fantastic occasion, took my 7 year old boy for his first ever game today.
He was buzzing all the way back to Southampton and now says he wants to support WOLVES NOT Saints or even Chelsea, Man U or Arsenal etc!!!!!

Job done, thanks Wolves.:D

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
What a fantastic occasion, took my 7 year old boy for his first ever game today.
He was buzzing all the way back to Southampton and now says he wants to support WOLVES NOT Saints or even Chelsea, Man U or Arsenal etc!!!!!

Job done, thanks Wolves.:D

That's great to hear! I bet he'll tell stories about this game one day :)

Back
Top Bottom