Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Venus to step up at Birmingham

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tony Mowbray is one of footballs good guys and I wish him all the very best.

Good luck to Mark Venus as well and Brum have got an experienced backroom team. Venus, Ashley Cole and Maik Taylor are there, so I think they’ll be ok, even though I’ve got no time at all for them as a football club.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My cousin is a Leicester fan and he was not that bothered when Graham Turner signed Mark Venus ( While Matt Hobbs and his scouting team are outstanding for those of us around in the Ron Jukes as Chief Scout era he takes some beating ! ) Jon came to a Wolves game with me about 12 months after Mark Venus joined us and he could not believe how he had developed !

I used to love those thunderbolt free kicks and long range shots he could unleash.

Mark Venus made over 250 appearances for Wolves. Including being an ever present in the 1991/92 season. The last full back to achieve that before Mark was John Humphrey in the 1982/83 promotion winning season. Prior to that there was the remarkable feat in the Second Division Championship title season of 1976/77 that Geoff Palmer and Derek Parkin played all 42 League games !!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
"He latched onto a long ball from Venus" -- one of my all-time favourite quotes from radio commentary
It made that joke I'm about to mangle didn't it?

Which keeper can throw it the furthest?
Grobbelaar can throw it to the halfway line
Thorstvedt can throw it to Edinburgh.
But Stowell can throw it to Venus!

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score
As I'm living in Finland I haven't run into any/many English footballers over the years, but back in in the summer of 2001 (I think...) Ipswich Town were on a pre-season tour of Scandinavia, and they played one game in my hometown.
I did know that Mark Venus played for them, and I were in an Irish pub with some mates the day before the match, when their players came in to that same pub for a pint or two.
I wore a Wolves shirt that evening, and stood by the bar disk close to some of their players, and as one of them pointed to me I guessed it was him, and had a short chat with him.
To cut it short, he said something like "-Wolves was a fabulous club with fantastic supporters, but with a crap management".
Their "star player" of that time Marcus Stewart stood beside him when we spoke, and he looked a miserable git. From his looks I gathered he didn't like Wolves (or me)...? :)

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately for Birmingham City, the illness that has forced Tony Mowbray to step down could not have come at a worse time for the club. It looked like they were turning a corner, but have regressed in the last few weeks.

Having said that Tony Mowbrays health is more important than football and I hope he is on the road to recovery.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Klopp has said that football management today is pretty much just a relentless slog. I'm amazed that older guys, like Mowbray, who have been round the block several times are able to keep the enthusiasm up and keep the body going. I see Warnock stepped down at Aberdeen pretty sharpish; it's a young person's game, both playing and managing. I wish Mowbray well.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Klopp has said that football management today is pretty much just a relentless slog. I'm amazed that older guys, like Mowbray, who have been round the block several times are able to keep the enthusiasm up and keep the body going. I see Warnock stepped down at Aberdeen pretty sharpish; it's a young person's game, both playing and managing. I wish Mowbray well.
Dead right, NNW.

Elite football takes it toll and you have to manage, coach, preach, motivate, talk the talk, walk the walk, inspire etc day after day, attend press conferences, say the right things, take the good with bad, accept criticism and still do your job.

Roy Hodgson was crazy to go back to Crystal Palace in his 70’s and Colin is a character who has retired about 5 times. It’s in their blood and they would go on forever if their body would let them.

The demands of modern day football are unlike the days of Bill Shankly, Jock Stein and many other great managers of the past (have to mention Bobby Robson). They are miles greater and miles more demanding. The rewards are greater as well, with so much money at stake and club owners so much more demanding and impatient.

Managers like Mourinho, Benitez, Sarri etc are beginning to get to the end of their shelf life and despite winning trophies in the past, it looks like they may have a pretty dull future.

Some managers become journeymen and just pick up a decent payday, based on their past reputations and Mourinho falls into that category imo. Look at Loppy. I was delighted when he became our manager, but I was also delighted when he left, after spouting nothing but negatives about our great club. He had a multi million pound pay off, but who wants to employ him now? He’s probably laughing all the way to the bank and probably never needs to work again.

Modern day football is a young persons game and it makes you wonder what it will be like in 10 years time.

I just want to end by wishing Tony Mowbray nothing but the very best in his recovery. He’s one of footballs good guys.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good points but fire in the belly also keeps some people sharp and helps prolong life. We see this in all walks of life, not just sports.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Supposedly bringing back Rowett on an interim basis. Should have brought back Zola. What a comedy club.
6th manager this season, including interims. Mowbray was apparently behind the decision to bring Rowett back.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dead right, NNW.

Elite football takes it toll and you have to manage, coach, preach, motivate, talk the talk, walk the walk, inspire etc day after day, attend press conferences, say the right things, take the good with bad, accept criticism and still do your job.

Roy Hodgson was crazy to go back to Crystal Palace in his 70’s and Colin is a character who has retired about 5 times. It’s in their blood and they would go on forever if their body would let them.

The demands of modern day football are unlike the days of Bill Shankly, Jock Stein and many other great managers of the past (have to mention Bobby Robson). They are miles greater and miles more demanding. The rewards are greater as well, with so much money at stake and club owners so much more demanding and impatient.

Managers like Mourinho, Benitez, Sarri etc are beginning to get to the end of their shelf life and despite winning trophies in the past, it looks like they may have a pretty dull future.

Some managers become journeymen and just pick up a decent payday, based on their past reputations and Mourinho falls into that category imo. Look at Loppy. I was delighted when he became our manager, but I was also delighted when he left, after spouting nothing but negatives about our great club. He had a multi million pound pay off, but who wants to employ him now? He’s probably laughing all the way to the bank and probably never needs to work again.

Modern day football is a young persons game and it makes you wonder what it will be like in 10 years time.

I just want to end by wishing Tony Mowbray nothing but the very best in his recovery. He’s one of footballs good guys.
I think it depends on what sort of coach/manager they are. Some of the old guard carry on as they aren’t “tracksuit managers” so leave the coaches to a lot of it. The more modern manager (especially the younger ones) are “boots on” types and more active on the training ground. In GON partly due to his age and approach but he’s very hands on in training. Tbf to Hodgson he is a bit of a throw out because despite his age right up to recently he was very active in training for his age.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I think it depends on what sort of coach/manager they are. Some of the old guard carry on as they aren’t “tracksuit managers” so leave the coaches to a lot of it. The more modern manager (especially the younger ones) are “boots on” types and more active on the training ground. In GON partly due to his age and approach but he’s very hands on in training. Tbf to Hodgson he is a bit of a throw out because despite his age right up to recently he was very active in training for his age.
Rumour is 76 year old Roy Hodgson was still the best player in training at Palace…

Back
Top Bottom