Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

VAR Update

SHEPLEY WOLF

Groupie
Reaction score
Acording to the bham live web page{yes i know}
var is omly going to be used for clear and obviuse mistakes
pardon the spelling but you get the idea

Wandering_Wolf93

Reaction score
Acording to the bham live web page{yes i know}
var is omly going to be used for clear and obviuse mistakes
pardon the spelling but you get the idea

It has been that way all season....
They check every goal though for clear and obvious mistakes

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
so not for very close offsides and not dubious minimal contact diversion handballs ?

oh wait a minute :oops:

the real question is clear and obvious to who ? the ref/linesman , or the VAR team looking at the replay ?

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wish VAR was more like the NHL's video replay. You get to challenge a goal and if it's wrong you lose your timeout. If you don't have your timeout, you get a two minute penalty.

I'm not sure what they could do for our sport but it's better than taking human error out of part of the game while leaving it in the rest of the game. A penalty kick seems too harsh but a corner kick seems too light. Maybe a free kick outside the box.

Ps. NHL video replay is actually **** because the rules for disallowed goals is open to interpretation from anyone who reads it - not clear and precise. But the system in place to challenge is good. NFL and MLB have similar systems. NBA's system is really dumb.

quirky_birky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I saw this in on Newsnow (I don't endorse the Mail, I hasten to add!):
PETER CROUCH: VAR farce is ruining the game I love... they need to make changes fast | Daily Mail Online

I agree whole heartedly with Crouch. The VAR decisions may be technically correct, but it's having more of a negative impact than the dubious calls we were getting before it was implemented. I do think there's a place for it, but it needs to be used with more common sense.

Bear with me on this analogy. If the police regularly stopped every car on the road and checked them, the chances are they'd find thousands of cars either technically unroadworthy or driving illegally. Sure, it would make the roads safer, but the negative impact on the driving experience would be considerable. As it is, we've got a streamlined system with MOT's, automatic tax & insurance checks, and the police can stop dodgy looking vehicles.

VAR needs to be more streamlined. Checking for infringements when nobody has even appealed seems ridiculous. As Crouch said, you used to be able to give a cursory glance at the linesman and ref before launching into mad celebrations following a goal. Lose that and you kill the game.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wish VAR was more like the NHL's video replay. You get to challenge a goal and if it's wrong you lose your timeout. If you don't have your timeout, you get a two minute penalty.

I'm not sure what they could do for our sport but it's better than taking human error out of part of the game while leaving it in the rest of the game. A penalty kick seems too harsh but a corner kick seems too light. Maybe a free kick outside the box.

Ps. NHL video replay is actually **** because the rules for disallowed goals is open to interpretation from anyone who reads it - not clear and precise. But the system in place to challenge is good. NFL and MLB have similar systems. NBA's system is really dumb.
All entitled to our opinions of course, but your first sentence makes me want to dangle my testicles in a blender and switch it on....
It's a no from me!

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sick of hearing that phrase. The ****s don't even know how to define "clear and obvious". It means absolutely **** all and they'll still scrutinise a player being offside by his **** hairs.

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
VAR isn't part of and doesn't fit in the game of football. It kills the spectators joy at a goal, the magic that gives the game it's appeal. The feeling when a magnificent footballing moment like the move between jota, moutinho and Neves resulted in a goal of beauty. Id sooner take the judgement of the referee and his assistants warts and all than rely on somebody sitting at a screen moving picture frames about. Give us our sport back administrators.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All entitled to our opinions of course, but your first sentence makes me want to dangle my testicles in a blender and switch it on....
It's a no from me!
So you'd prefer the **** system now? It's not good. I'm not sure there is any way to make it good. But it's just not.

R

reanswolf

Pardon my ignorance, but I seriously ay got a clue what NHL, MLB, NBA are?? Middle one sounds like some sort of AK47, or it should be :)-

D

Deleted member 3751

VAR should be used when officials have ****ed up in a major way. Liverpool away at West Ham when Milner was a yard offside, Azpilicueta at Cardiff, Doherty flagged off against Spurs despite being a yard onside. What they're doing is splitting hairs when official couldn't possibly have seen it, and then not changing the decisions when they should have. They have implemented it so badly it beggars belief

R

reanswolf

NHL = National Hockey League
MLB = Major League Baseball
NBA = National Basketball Association
STI = Requires Anti-biotics Pronto
TIT = Piers Morgan
Ah cheers RJ:D
Are these all American things/sports?

So :-
NHL = Hockey (but I haven't watched that girls sport)
MLB = Rounders (didn't realise this kids sport was televised)
NBA = Netball (I haven't watched that particular girls sport either)

I genuinely don't like abbreviations when its not obvious what they are. I know I'm being particularly obtuse, I think I had heard of NBA to be fair
NBA = Net Ball Association.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I genuinely don't like abbreviations when its not obvious what they are. I know I'm being particularly obtuse, I think I had heard of NBA to be fair

Ha. Ice hockey girls sport. That's one American sport I've got time for. Imagine 5 a side on rollerskates, with aggression/violence levels above that of sunday league. Very skilled, very fast. Good game to watch live, too fast for TV really.

R

reanswolf

Ha. Ice hockey girls sport. That's one American sport I've got time for. Imagine 5 a side on rollerskates, with aggression/violence levels above that of sunday league. Very skilled, very fast. Good game to watch live, too fast for TV really.
I was being sarky Jonah. I must admit I didn't know the abbreviations though.
But as Sky Sports enlighten the UK public with anything with United in the name (MUFC or USA), we are gradually inevitably becoming accustomed to American Football (soccer)- especially with Rooney playing there, also Basketball & Ice Hockey which are undoubtedly highly skilled.

I still don't get American Football, it all seems so anti-climatic in that all you have to do is stop when you cross a line. And you get points for just doing that! WTF!

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With you on that. Just don't see the point in it whatsoever. Its like the antithesis of real football. Stop-start, attack-defend in rigid, contrived turns.
Also dislike the idea that its this tactical giant of a game, because of the complicated 'plays'. They're glorified set-pieces. Whole pitch, whole team, set-pieces. Football has set-pieces. They're the extra bit on top of the fluid, tidal, constantly fluctuating tactical battle of open play.

Try explaining that to the vast majority of Americans that love their hand-egg though.

George AlooGobi

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

It's a no from me!

Reminds me of an old budweiser advert, multiball

quirky_birky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It seems to me that all major US sports are played either by abnormally sized people or by people in body armour... or both. Baseball seems to be an exception but for some reason they have a giant glove to help them catch, which doesn't seem very sporting somehow.

But we're going off on a tangent. Any controversial VAR shenanigans this afternoon in the Prem?

Wolfman jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I reckon that there should be a max of , say , 30 secs for the var ref to reach a decision. If its clear and obvious, then it will be seen straight away. If it takes longer it clearly and obviously isnt clear and obvious.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Girls sport? The ignorance is insane. The only more physical sport that's not like MMA or Boxing is Rugby.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was being sarky Jonah. I must admit I didn't know the abbreviations though.
But as Sky Sports enlighten the UK public with anything with United in the name (MUFC or USA), we are gradually inevitably becoming accustomed to American Football (soccer)- especially with Rooney playing there, also Basketball & Ice Hockey which are undoubtedly highly skilled.

I still don't get American Football, it all seems so anti-climatic in that all you have to do is stop when you cross a line. And you get points for just doing that! WTF!
I mean it's the same as Rugby.

Ps. I love Rugby and don't really enjoy 'American' Football but there are similaraties.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Girls sport? The ignorance is insane. The only more physical sport that's not like MMA or Boxing is Rugby.
Aussie rules can get a bit tasty.

Last edited:

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aussir rules can get a bit tasty.
Aussie Rules Rugby?

I almost bought a video game once but it was Rugby League Live and I guess it has different rules?

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aussie Rules Rugby?

I almost bought a video game once but it was Rugby League Live and I guess it has different rules?
Yep, i think aussie rules football is a hybrid of football and rugby, no idea what the rules are.

I just remembered watching it on a sunday morning when i was a kid,and nsome of the challenges could break your neck if slighty late, was very physical.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aussie Rules Rugby?

Ive just looked at some 'aussie rules fights" on youtube, well worth checking out if you have a spare 5 mins

George AlooGobi

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yep, i think aussie rules football is a hybrid of football and rugby, no idea what the rules are.

I just remembered watching it on a sunday morning when i was a kid,and nsome of the challenges could break your neck if slighty late, was very physical.

Aussie rules soccer?

I wonder what the yanks would call it

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Aussie Rules. Though it's hardly a game, more like a marathon with a load of decathletes looking for an excuse for a fight while chasing a ball.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you thought we had VAR issues...

Today VAR was introduced to Greece for the first time. And when the link to the VAR room was made, a delivery boy had just arrived bringing "souvlakia" (a regular Greek junk food that Greeks tend to eat during football games).

Spiros Argiriou on Twitter

You can see the look on that video the one VAR official gives to the other when they realise the camera was on them at the time :D:D

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ive just looked at some 'aussie rules fights" on youtube, well worth checking out if you have a spare 5 mins
I did that but ended up watching Travellers scrapping in country lanes. It's the same as Aussie rules minus the ball.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So many begged for VAR and did so saying "I don't care how long it takes - I just want honesty and justice. Goodbye Bournemouth, goodbye Liverpool".

Now people want it scrapped, despite everything being checked.

I want it scrapped myself because it is as open to incompetence through 'discretion' as plain old refereeing is. I still cannot see how that rugby tackle on the City player against Spurs was watched and ignored.

The laws behind VAR are open to corruption, as well as incompetence, and I suspect they were written so in order to keep the traditional biases alive

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
At the end of the day, how many times did we genuinely feel like the officials made a massive error against us last season? Doherty offside at home to Tottenham, Bournemouth’s diving away, Boly red card at Man City, Watford penalty at Wembley. Not many over a whole season. Someone said they’re averaging about 4 VAR reviews a match, which is waaaaayy too many!

quirky_birky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At the end of the day, how many times did we genuinely feel like the officials made a massive error against us last season? Doherty offside at home to Tottenham, Bournemouth’s diving away, Boly red card at Man City, Watford penalty at Wembley. Not many over a whole season. Someone said they’re averaging about 4 VAR reviews a match, which is waaaaayy too many!

The problem is that now they've introduced it, they have to use it. You're not going to bring in VAR just to check the odd decision every 7 or 8 matches - it will be used every game, if only to justify its existence. It won't be just the one decision either.

VAR needs to be a tool that the referee has access to. It shouldn't be the VAR operatives who are officiating.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
VAR needs to be a tool that the referee has access to. It shouldn't be the VAR operatives who are officiating.
That’s what I mean, some matches you won’t need VAR, at the minute they’re being really pernickety and disallowing goals for trivial things.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So you'd prefer the **** system now? It's not good. I'm not sure there is any way to make it good. But it's just not.
There needs to be clearer and better guidance around its usage, but your idea isn't it. Heck I would rather get rid of referees and have the game totally done by VAR with loud hailer announcement tbh

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I saw this in on Newsnow (I don't endorse the Mail, I hasten to add!):
PETER CROUCH: VAR farce is ruining the game I love... they need to make changes fast | Daily Mail Online

I agree whole heartedly with Crouch. The VAR decisions may be technically correct, but it's having more of a negative impact than the dubious calls we were getting before it was implemented. I do think there's a place for it, but it needs to be used with more common sense.

Bear with me on this analogy. If the police regularly stopped every car on the road and checked them, the chances are they'd find thousands of cars either technically unroadworthy or driving illegally. Sure, it would make the roads safer, but the negative impact on the driving experience would be considerable. As it is, we've got a streamlined system with MOT's, automatic tax & insurance checks, and the police can stop dodgy looking vehicles.

VAR needs to be more streamlined. Checking for infringements when nobody has even appealed seems ridiculous. As Crouch said, you used to be able to give a cursory glance at the linesman and ref before launching into mad celebrations following a goal. Lose that and you kill the game.
Perhaps this teething period is necessary to get it right. You can't very well trial VAR in non league because they don't have the technology. It would be far too expensive to implement.

That said, i don't actually want it. Im sure I've used this phrase on the forum before but I'll say it again.......

What i love about football is it doesn't matter whether you're playing in the World Cup Final or turning out for the Nags Head on a Sunday morning, the rules are (were) the same.

I'm a little sad that the rules may not be the same.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 5910

The paradox yesterday is: VAR will support the referee 100% of the time whether he gives or does not give a penalty. He gave a dodgy penalty in our favour: VAR agreed it was not a "clear and obvious error". Had the referee not judged it was a penalty, VAR would agree it was not a "clear and obvious error"! Just like the penalty that was not awarded to Man Utd yesterday which looked like a penalty to my simple brain. Which makes one think... is this system in place just to rule out goals scored (i.e technically offside and technically a handball en route to goal) and to never actually provide them? If so, we're worse off than we were before.

Back
Top Bottom